Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

31 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We haven't had a RB break a run of 40 or more yards since Derrius Guice.

I like Robinson but we need a gamebreaker.

I am still digesting.  But as for RBs with speed too bad Jonathan Brooks is hurt.  

I love Lloyd but don't love his age.   Ditto Ray Davis though Davis doesn't strike me as having killer speed.  Bucky Irving, want to see what he runs.

If I had to go right now as to speed, Wright.  Benson maybe, too.  None I don't think are Gibbs-Achane level speed though

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Malachi Corley was my early shout as an explosive addition to our offense. Need to add a couple real playmakers, YAC guys. Big plays. If Johnson ends up being our man for HC, new RB,TE,WR incoming. 

Yep Corley is my go to WR target now. I still like Keon Coleman but in round 2 I'd prefer OT and C. Round 3 find playmakers. 4-7 take a stab at raw defensive guys that can develop in a couple of years(which would fit perfectly with our QB timeline).

On 1/28/2024 at 11:38 AM, seantaylor=god said:

@Going Commando@KDawg

Have either of you, or anyone else, watched Johnny Wilson, WR from FSU? 

Watching some of his highlights and I would have never guessed he is 6’7, 240 pounds with the way he moves fluidly. Snatches the ball and seems like a hands catcher with a huge catch radius. I wonder what he runs, and his ability to block.

Any interest in him as a WR or TE?

That size makes him really intriguing to me, if he can run in the 4.6 range.

I watched some cut ups after you asked about him, and I see some of what you see too.  He is a hands catcher, but I think he can be kind of awkward in the way he tries to pluck the ball, and make things harder than they need to be, which leads to drops.  There were some bad looking drops in the LSU and Clemson cut ups that I'm referring to there.  I also think he was struggling to track/adjust to the ball on some of those deep sidelines throws, and looks a lot more comfortable working the middle of the field where he knows the whole way how the ball is coming to him.  My last complaint about his hands/concentration is that I wish he was more physical at the catch point and better at making contested catches.  He plays a little soft there and struggles to reel the ball in through contact.  But I do see that aggressive mentality in how he attacks the ball in the air, and there is some acrobatic plucking in his cut ups that is really impressive work.

As far as route running goes, I think he's pretty slow off the line and needs kind of a long runway to reach his top gear.  Decent burst out of his breaks though, and the intimidating size makes corners want to play him soft at the break and trail him, giving him extra space for his cuts.  He's so big that he'd be a serious challenge for anyone to press, and he's got such long legs that his build up speed is tough for corners to match deep.  Makes him a really dangerous deep threat on go balls and posts.

He actually reminds me of Logan Thomas, but he's faster and more explosive.  I can see why people are thinking TE with him, but he wouldn't be the kind of TE that could play in line and handle blocking DEs.

I think he's interesting, but he's got some flaws that limit his draft value for me to the middle rounds.  I wish he was a more instinctive and natural receiver, the kind of player that makes things look easy rather than look hard.  I wish he was more physical, but had softer hands.  And I wish he was a little more coordinated and balanced in the way he runs.  But I also think there is probably a lot of room for growth in his game and that he could end up being a far better pro than college player.  And the raw athletic traits are pretty special.

I like Ladd McConkey over him as my day 2 WR target, but Wilson is interesting for me.  By contrast, I don't really like the Texas prospects, for example.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As to Wr.

For me I am running to the podium in the 2nd if either Legette or B. Thomas is still available.

In the 3rd:  McConkey or Polk if they are available

I am with you except not in on McConkey. I can't take another tiny receiver on this team. Jay Gruden said it, all of our receivers are too similar and it makes it harder to scheme. 

But Legette is my guy right now. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I am with you except not in on McConkey. I can't take another tiny receiver on this team. Jay Gruden said it, all of our receivers are too similar and it makes it harder to scheme. 

But Legette is my guy right now. 

Ideally I'd like a tall physical receiver and ditto a TE.

I wouldn't see though McConkey as a redundant type addition.   He's definitely a different type from Terry.  I sort of equate him as a rich man's Jamison Crowder -- when Crowder was in his prime.

I rarely when watching receivers, especialy among those 2nd tier types and think the bust chances are very low but that's how I feel about McConkey.

We've read all season about how our receivers have struggled to seperate and Howell took some sacks at times because no one was open.  Getting open is McConkey's wheel house.  Really smooth route runner who can seperate, find holes in zone defenses with the best of them.   Fun with the ball in his hands with plenty of stop and go and change of direction ability.  Feisty blocker.  

He's a baller, clutch, tone setter type on the field and off the field.

PFF does a Yard Per Route metric that they swear by as an important predictor of success

It is the amount of receiving yards a receiver accumulates divided by the number of routes they have run. YPRR folds multiple receiver skills into one metric; it accounts for targets being earned by the receiver and accounts for what the receiver does with each target

McConkey has their third best score YPR among their ranked Wrs only Harrison and Nabers had a higher score.

And to add more to the narrative, he's known to have Terry level intangibles. 

https://www.redandblack.com/sports/georgia-wide-receiver-ladd-mcconkey-announces-plans-to-enter-nfl-draft/article_f86aac0a-ab4f-11ee-b317-839ba400253c.html#:~:text=McConkey was also recently awarded,the Children's Hospital of Georgia.

McConkey was also recently awarded with the Wuerffel Trophy, an award given to a collegiate athlete that is an impactful leader in community service.

McConkey has supported children treated at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and the Children’s Hospital of Georgia. He has also worked with the Georgia Division of Family & Children Services and Elks Aidmore — an organization that provides therapeutic services and other resources for foster children. These involvements, among others, led him to be named the award’s 2023 recipient.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Another thing on McConkey.  I use Crowder as an example because some here might remember him.  He was a great slot WR in his prime who was a VERY reliable target. 

But the reason why I say a richman's version is McConkey IMO is better.  He's also a better athlete -- taller-faster-more explosive.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If McConkey runs in the low 4.4's he might be gone in the 2nd.  My favorite high floor WR in that 2nd tier grouping.

He's my favorite non first round receiver too.  I was kind of hoping he'll run in the 4.5s to depress his draft stock to ~3rd round, but if he runs 4.4s there's not really a reason for him to fall out of the first half of the second round.

Ladd is a winner, and I think he could end up being better than Jahan.  More assertive player and personality, who demands touches and targets even in a situation where the depth chart is totally stacked.  I don't actually like the depth of this WR class that much.  If Brian Thomas and Xavier Leggette go in the first, then after Ladd it's maybe Polk for me.  Maybe Johnny Wilson.  Ladd is a way better player than both of them IMO.

I'm not too hung up on getting a WR who is X height or has X stat like contested catch % or YAC numbers.  Just have to focus on finding dudes who can play, and Ladd qualifies.  Imagine if the Rams had passed on Puka Nacua because they were thinking "we already have Kupp, we need a big receiver" or "we need a deep threat."  Put three or four good receivers on the field no matter their size or skill set, and that will be the toughest offense to defend.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He's my favorite non first round receiver too.  I was kind of hoping he'll run in the 4.5s to depress his draft stock to ~3rd round, but if he runs 4.4s there's not really a reason for him to fall out of the first half of the second round.

Ladd is a winner, and I think he could end up being better than Jahan.  More assertive player and personality, who demands touches and targets even in a situation where the depth chart is totally stacked.  I don't actually like the depth of this WR class that much.  If Brian Thomas and Xavier Leggette go in the first, then after Ladd it's maybe Polk for me.  Maybe Johnny Wilson.  Ladd is a way better player than both of them IMO.

I'm not too hung up on getting a WR who is X height or has X stat like contested catch % or YAC numbers.  Just have to focus on finding dudes who can play, and Ladd qualifies.  Imagine if the Rams had passed on Puka Nacua because they were thinking "we already have Kupp, we need a big receiver" or "we need a deep threat."  Put three or four good receivers on the field no matter their size or skill set, and that will be the toughest offense to defend.

Yeah we mirror each other almost 100% on that next tier of receivers.  

Am not sure about Wilson watched him eons ago and couldn't settle on an opinion.   Ditto the Texas receivers, I need to watch them more.

But yeah Legette, Thomas, McConkey, Polk would be high for me in that next tier.

https://uga.rivals.com/news/the-end-of-ladd-mcconkey-s-frustration

As a result, McConkey is back in an integral role with the Bulldogs.

The Gators learned that the hard way last Saturday in Jacksonville.

Of McConkey’s 135 receiving yards, 78 came after the catch.

“He's such a competitor. The yards after catch is what he gives us that a lot of other guys haven't done,” Smart said. “He catches it and runs with it, and he does a tremendous job.”

Smart said McConkey has all the ingredients to be a great receiver.

“Separation is one of the No. 1 qualities. We talk about body quickness. A guy could be straight-line fast, but he doesn't separate. Can you come in and out of breaks?” Smart said. “That was the first thing we saw in Ladd when we looked at him. He's quicker than he is fast, but he's fast. When you're quick and fast, that's when you're good."

• Like 1

Watching Chase Young jog slower than my dead Grandma on that Gibbs touchdown and seeing him have practically no impact on their Super Bowl defense, makes me even happier for that 3rd round draft pick. Feeling like the more he sucks, the more vindicated Josh and company's decision becomes. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Watching Chase Young jog slower than my dead Grandma on that Gibbs touchdown and seeing him have practically no impact on their Super Bowl defense, makes me even happier for that 3rd round draft pick. Feeling like the more he sucks, the more vindicated Josh and company's decision becomes. 

I can't believe we even got a 3rd for him. He is legitimately a terrible football player right now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As I mentioned yesterday none of the A-B lister Wrs have big numberts both as contested catches and YAC.

Taking out the early round WRs.  It would be Brian Thomas, Legette. 

Next tier -- Horton and Polk would be close.

Yep Corley and Polk I like.

Interestingly Aiyuk was being mooted as a potential salary cap move by the 49ers this offseason. Hard to see at the minute.

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep Corley and Polk I like.

Interestingly Aiyuk was being mooted as a potential salary cap move by the 49ers this offseason. Hard to see at the minute.

Aiyuk might be the only shorter receiver I would make an exception for because he doesn't play small. He's very physical. Also I like that you never hear him complain, he's a good locker room guy, been super supportive of Purdy and just does all the things right, including blocking. 

• Like 1

Shorter than expected, does that help him drop to the 2nd?  smallish hands.  Still love the player.   

I've talked some about Haynes a guard I like, decent metrics for a guard except for hand size

• Like 2

UCF Javon Baker is still generating a lot of buzz with Mike Renner being the most recent. JMU WR Reggie Brown interests me too. He reminds me of Dontayvion Wicks current Packer and former UVA Cavalier. 

Ladd's an easy riser. Renner also mentioned him. Mike thinks no WR runs as precise routes as Ladd does in this class.

27 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Wait. Legette is only 6'1? Sigh. WHY IS HE LISTED AS 6'3" everywhere? What kind of fraudulent mess is this. 

Jahan Dotson - 5'11"

Terry McLaurin - 6'0"

I don't know, that might have moved Legette down my list some 

While those college measurements are always questionable, 6'1" is disappointing for Legette. Wish he was at least 6'2" but I am still a big fan of his.