Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, mh86 said:

Oh it’s not me, I was just saying what he keeps saying. I don’t care one way or the other.

Sorry. Didnt mean you specifically. I keep seeing similar takes on this board and just cant understand how people actually think and believe these things.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Watching the playoffs this year really reinforces just how wide open the NFC is. IMO, the top 5 QBs in the league all play in the AFC:

1. Mahomes
  2. Lamar
  3. Allen
  4. Burrow
  5. Herbert / Stroud (potentially)

The NFC is a clear tier below the top 4 in the AFC and maybe below the top 6. I think Stafford, Dak and Kirk (before the injury) all have an argument for top NFC QB. 

The timing for us to draft a blue chip QB prospect couldn’t be better. 

Agreed. Tonight also illustrated to me that we have to strike the right balance between traits and also football IQ/accuracy/killer instinct

What happened to Josh Allen and the Bills has been telegraphed for a while. The Bills got into the playoffs in part because of Josh Allen's play and they almost missed the playoffs in part because of his turnovers. For so long people said "well Josh is so talented you just have to live with the turnovers" but it was obvious this year that the Bills higher ups were getting fed up. Nick Wright said it perfectly 

The NFC will be interesting if Williams, Maye and Daniels all end up in the conference. Caleb Williams plays hero ball more than anyone in this draft and that would scare me because I think he's going to turn over the ball A LOT in the NFL and if Josh Allen, with all his elite traits, can't overcome his turnover/hero ball tendencies then (and yes I know his receivers dropped some balls, happens to every QB, been happening to Mahomes all year)

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The timing for us to draft a blue chip QB prospect couldn’t be better. 

The well established star QBs are in the AFC, but the NFC has Purdy, Love, and will soon have Caleb Williams and Drake Maye.  It'll be a similar dynamic to what the AFC currently has in like four seasons.

Jared Goff is pretty good too.  Especially on that stacked team.  He's gotten a second act to his career that is almost unheard of, and he's gotten even better than he was before.  I think the Lions have staying power.

Don't know what happened with Dak in the playoff game, but he was a top five QB this season by any measure.  It's never going to be easy to beat that guy when he's healthy, especially since they keep their offense loaded.  I think the Giants are stuck in neutral and the Eagles are due for regression, but we have a lot of growing to do in order to hang with Dallas even if we hit a home run with Drake Maye.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pico926 said:

Maye is all hype. Daniels and Williams are both Heisman winners while Maye has won what? Competing in the ACC and losing against the likes of UVA. Folks are posting cut ups of him scrambling against Pitt and NC State. It’s laughable! Meanwhile you got Daniels with off the charts numbers competing in the SEC. The best conference in college football where you are sure to get the closest looks to pro style defenses and speed. What are we talking about here! 

I’d throw up if we decide to draft Maye. No where close to the pedigree of a Williams or Daniels. Not even close!

Eric Crouch

Johnny Manziel

Danny Weurfel

Sam Bradford

Matt Leinart

Chris Weinke

Rg3

Marcus Marriota 

Jameis Winston

have all won Heismans in the last 25 years. So has Carson Palmer, Lamar Jackson and Cam Newton. 

the haves haven’t faired well in the NFL. Not winning a heisman shouldn’t be used as a barometer for your argument. It goes against the point you’re trying to make. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Curious if anyone has a take on what that means for the Bears QB decision. 

With what that dude has done with Smith, leads to wonder what he could do with Fields or with one of the top draft prospects

• Like 1

After Maye my next draft crush is Jackson Powers Johnson. He’s only 20(turns 21 tomorrow) and is already dominant. I love the u

idea of pairing our rookie franchise QB with a franchise C right away and letting them grow together.

Id try to move up from 36 to the 20s to secure him, specifically leapfrogging Philly (they need a C now to replace Kelce) and Miami (Connor Williams is a FA and coming off an ACL). 36 + our early third should be enough. 

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

After Maye my next draft crush is Jackson Powers Johnson. He’s only 20(turns 21 tomorrow) and is already dominant. I love the u

idea of pairing our rookie franchise QB with a franchise C right away and letting them grow together.

Id try to move up from 36 to the 20s to secure him, specifically leapfrogging Philly (they need a C now to replace Kelce) and Miami (Connor Williams is a FA and coming off an ACL). 36 + our early third should be enough.

I was preaching the special value of the center position in the Linderbaum draft, and that is was a big need for us then (and all of you guys crapped on me for those takes), so I'm a keen advocate for getting a mainstay center.  That said, there is no way I'm trading up into the first round to draft a center.  For starters, I see virtually no chance that JPJ goes in the first round of a class where there are like seven first round OTs.  We'll be able to draft him with our seconds if we want him.  Second, Van Pran is just as good as JPJ and we can probably get him with our third.

We need to just let the draft come to us and go BPA.  If there was a Linderbaum available, then I might be moved to take him in the first round.  Otherwise, we can find a mainstay center via cheap assets.  Van Pran in the third, offer a fifth to Seattle for Oluwatini, see what Stromberg can do for a year, etc.  All of those are good options.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

Curious if anyone has a take on what that means for the Bears QB decision. 

After reading an article about it on Bears Wire where they ranked their preference of OC's for them, #1 out of 9 overall candidates was Waldron. I think they're impressed with the results from working with Geno Smith and understandably believe that will translate to Williams. 

*Sorry didn't see @DWinzit's response. 

Greg Olson is an interesting candidate for our own OC position IMO.

Edited by Chump Bailey

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I was preaching the special value of the center position in the Linderbaum draft, and that is was a big need for us then (and all of you guys crapped on me for those takes), so I'm a keen advocate for getting a mainstay center.  That said, there is no way I'm trading up into the first round to draft a center.  For starters, I see virtually no chance that JPJ goes in the first round of a class where there are like seven first round OTs.  We'll be able to draft him with our seconds if we want him.  Second, Van Pran is just as good as JPJ and we can probably get him with our third.

We need to just let the draft come to us and go BPA.  If there was a Linderbaum available, then I might be moved to take him in the first round.  Otherwise, we can find a mainstay center via cheap assets.  Van Pran in the third, offer a fifth to Seattle for Oluwatini, see what Stromberg can do for a year, etc.  All of those are good options.

You might be right. Ultimately itll come down to how teams rank em. Surprises happen all the time. I remember Dallas taking C Travis Frederick in the 1st and everyone killed em and he was basically a HOF caliber C before injuries effed him.

10 hours ago, pico926 said:

Maye is all hype

I have my own reservations about him but he will likely be the selection so prepare yourself accordingly :)

I'll add I am warming up to Maye - there are things I like about him. I'm pivoting from "I can't possibly be wrong - ego driven agenda" to "I'm freaking tired of losing and not see us fill this critical position adequately or have had crap luck with it". I will welcome Maye with open arms personally if he's the pick. 

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

After reading an article about it on Bears Wire where they ranked their preference of OC's for them, #1 out of 9 overall candidates was Waldron. I think they're impressed with the results from working with Geno Smith and understandably believe that will translate to Williams. 

*Sorry didn't see @DWinzit's response. 

Greg Olson is an interesting candidate for our own OC position IMO.

No worries Chump! Totally agree on the Wadron front.

I would not be in on Olson as a OC though. Too close for comfort to RR for me plus not feeling he has the experience to be an OC

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

No worries Chump! Totally agree on the Wadron front.

I would not be in on Olson as a OC though. Too close for comfort to RR for me plus not feeling he has the experience to be an OC

Are we talking about the announcer/former tight end? Why is his name coming up? He has no experience. 

Just now, DWinzit said:

If that's the first thing that comes to mind, I'll pass too in that case :)

5. Greg Olson

Background: Olson has a wealth of NFL experience dating back to 2001, where he served as quarterbacks coach for the San Francisco 49ers. He even served as quarterbacks coach for the Bears in 2003. Olson served as the offensive coordinator for the Las Vegas Raiders from 2018-21 under Jon Gruden. He’s an experienced playcaller that has worked with different quarterbacks throughout his career, and adaptability is key for general manager Ryan Poles and head coach Matt Eberflus when making the hire.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Are we talking about the announcer/former tight end? Why is his name coming up? He has no experience. 

I agree, it's what I was saying

3 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

If that's the first thing that comes to mind, I'll pass too in that case :)

5. Greg Olson

Background: Olson has a wealth of NFL experience dating back to 2001, where he served as quarterbacks coach for the San Francisco 49ers. He even served as quarterbacks coach for the Bears in 2003. Olson served as the offensive coordinator for the Las Vegas Raiders from 2018-21 under Jon Gruden. He’s an experienced playcaller that has worked with different quarterbacks throughout his career, and adaptability is key for general manager Ryan Poles and head coach Matt Eberflus when making the hire.

Well, I thought you were speaking of the TE and announcer...my bad 

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I agree, it's what I was saying

Well, I thought you were speaking of the TE and announcer...my bad 

LOL, no worries. 

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh! Now I understand. The Panthers ex-TE Olson - duh... :)

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You might be right. Ultimately itll come down to how teams rank em. Surprises happen all the time. I remember Dallas taking C Travis Frederick in the 1st and everyone killed em and he was basically a HOF caliber C before injuries effed him.

Center is funny.  It's the hardest OL position to play mentally, but the easiest technically.  You can get guys who absolutely tear it up mostly off being smart and aggressive and tough, while only being fair athletes/specimens.  Either they are good runners with natural coordination for hitting moving targets, or they are country strong fire plugs who are good wrestlers (or both), but it's something that isn't typically highly valued from a draft perspective.

The way this class is lining up, we can get a specimen at either DL or OT with our seconds, and we can get an absolute beast of a college player at RB or LB with our third.  I wouldn't force a pick at OC when those other options are on the table.

Personally, I'd just wait and see on center this year.  Sign a cheap vet to play in the mix with Stromberg.  If Stromberg doesn't pan out, then next year I'd go after Andre James in free agency or draft my guy Weston Franklin in a late round.

I want to get one of these big ass OL prospects in the second.  Someone with high percentile tackle size/length. Someone who can kick Wylie inside.

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Center is funny.  It's the hardest OL position to play mentally, but the easiest technically.  You can get guys who absolutely tear it up mostly off being smart and aggressive and tough, while only being fair athletes/specimens.  Either they are good runners with natural coordination for hitting moving targets, or they are country strong fire plugs who are good wrestlers (or both), but it's something that isn't typically highly valued from a draft perspective.

The way this class is lining up, we can get a specimen at either DL or OT with our seconds, and we can get an absolute beast of a college player at RB or LB with our third.  I wouldn't force a pick at OC when those other options are on the table.

Personally, I'd just wait and see on center this year.  Sign a cheap vet to play in the mix with Stromberg.  If Stromberg doesn't pan out, then next year I'd go after Andre James in free agency or draft my guy Weston Franklin in a late round.

I want to get one of these big ass OL prospects in the second.  Someone with high percentile tackle size/length. Someone who can kick Wylie inside.

Yep would love to lockdown RT as well. Love Fuaga but obviously no chance he falls to 36. But Id trade up for him for sure.

7 hours ago, Going Commando said:

The well established star QBs are in the AFC, but the NFC has Purdy, Love, and will soon have Caleb Williams and Drake Maye.  It'll be a similar dynamic to what the AFC currently has in like four seasons.

Jared Goff is pretty good too.  Especially on that stacked team.  He's gotten a second act to his career that is almost unheard of, and he's gotten even better than he was before.  I think the Lions have staying power.

Don't know what happened with Dak in the playoff game, but he was a top five QB this season by any measure.  It's never going to be easy to beat that guy when he's healthy, especially since they keep their offense loaded.  I think the Giants are stuck in neutral and the Eagles are due for regression, but we have a lot of growing to do in order to hang with Dallas even if we hit a home run with Drake Maye.

Yeah, I actually meant to put Love first on the NFC list but completely forgot when I was typing. I think he tops the NFC list in terms of eye test (unlike Purdy IMO).  It will be interesting to see which of the young QBs step up over the next few years to take the conference by the horns.

Agreed that we still have a ton of work to do after drafting Maye, but the most important piece will be in place and I have faith Peters can do a good job building around him.

I think the situation in Dallas is more precarious than most realize (e.g., Dak’s brother tweeting about how bad he wants him out of Dallas and how he’s always trying to convince him to leave).  Even though their roster is stacked, I don’t see Dallas reaching their full potential given all the drama surrounding them. 

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Dallas will decline soon. Their salary cap is gonna

blow up, especially after paying Lamb, Parsons, and Diggs. That Dak contract will cripple them. Their window is on the verge of shutting. 

Asduming Dak doesn’t leave, I’m sure they’ll keep restructuring and kicking the can down the road to try to extend their window  (similar to the Saints with Brees and Carr)… especially given Jerry’s age. 

That should cripple their cap situation in the future, which is what should have happened when they did it with Romo… before they won the lotto picking Dak in the 4th round. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again. Some teams just have extraordinarily good luck when it comes to QBs, smh. 

15 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Asduming Dak doesn’t leave, I’m sure they’ll keep restructuring and kicking the can down the road to try to extend their window  (similar to the Saints with Brees and Carr)… especially given Jerry’s age. 

That should cripple their cap situation in the future, which is what should have happened when they did it with Romo… before they won the lotto picking Dak in the 4th round. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again. Some teams just have extraordinarily good luck when it comes to QBs, smh. 

I don't know if that was a Freudian slip or a spelling error but it sure made me chuckle.

I sure hope Dallas finally gets hit with big CAP issues. 

• Haha 1

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Some teams just have extraordinarily good luck when it comes to QBs, smh. 

Franchise QBs are made.  There is a reason that the good QB franchises like Green Bay and Dallas always have them.  They understand how to develop and coach and support the position.  Way too many teams, (owners, executives, and coaches) are terrible about the position.  They are plagued with indecision, instability, and incompetence, and good prospects have their careers stunted or ruined by it all of the time.  It's the common outcome for prospects.

Josh Harris and his group don't seem dumb and unstable.  They hired a GM that feels like an absolute winner, and I think they will hire a good coach too.  They are laying the groundwork for true blue front office level stability and competence, which is the necessary condition for developing a franchise QB.  And they got the #2 pick in a great QB year and will get a blue chip QB prospect, so talent or indecision aren't going to be problems for us.  I'm beginning to feel confident in our ability to make our own franchise QB, something we have never done in any of our life times, and it is an unbelievable relief.  Finally feels like we can start playing with the big boys now.

Maye and Williams are especially fun prospects, and they are true stars.  I can see that is getting lost through the forest already, and we are still in January.  There is a mountain of information being generated about these prospects coming from limited perspective and manufactured debate, but it doesn't change how exciting it is watching these two play.  It's exciting to think about having a star QB roaming our building.  I like a Jared Goff, Matt Stafford, or Dak Prescott, and having someone who is a leader like them in the building is special in and of itself. They give you the confidence to compete at the highest level.  But having a truly rare bird like Maye or Williams that has the exceptional talent to be a star at the highest level is something else.  You know you can still win in the playoffs even when your team is flawed.  The football world becomes centered around your building, and everyone is going to start making crazy amounts of money.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2