Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF guy who is a fan of a team 

I can see that too and agree but other draft sites compare him to so many different QBs.  It's a hoot. For instance, NFL Draft buzz:

image.png.480b68d87359cbb03fd61c149e75453c.png 

15 hours ago, Mooka said:

Seems unrealistic our FO won't have 1 of the top 3 QBs or Marvin Harrison Jr as a "can't miss" prospect. Trading down always sounds great, but there are diminishing returns when you are passing on quality talent. 

What makes the argument worth listening to this time is that there are two mega elite WR's, one "once a decade" TE, and an OT with a pretty high end eval available. So you could justify going trade down if we had drafted a top QB in '20 or '21 or '23, but we didn't, and all we have is Howell, so going after a WR in generational TE is using the Falcons idiotic plan from this decade that has built, not surprisingly, a top end collection of unusable playmakers. How good has Drake London looked? Kyle Pitts? Bijan? Not very. To the extent that some people think they are busts instead of realizing that Tyler and Desmond aren't even top 30 QB's in this league and so production inherently will suck. 

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

What makes the argument worth listening to this time is that there are two mega elite WR's, one "once a decade" TE, and an OT with a pretty high end eval available. So you could justify going trade down if we had drafted a top QB in '20 or '21 or '23, but we didn't, and all we have is Howell, so going after a WR in generational TE is using the Falcons idiotic plan from this decade that has built, not surprisingly, a top end collection of unusable playmakers. How good has Drake London looked? Kyle Pitts? Bijan? Not very. To the extent that some people think they are busts instead of realizing that Tyler and Desmond aren't even top 30 QB's in this league and so production inherently will suck. 

Yep, that’s pretty much nailed it.

6 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I am curious where he'll go. Looking at age, and medical history, I wouldn't touch him until the late 3rd to early 4th, but everything I've heard is mid 1st to mid 2nd. I wonder what that means? 

Brugler said weeks ago, talking to people in the league that both Penix and Nix are going in the 2nd.  but that's weeks ago don't know if his take-sources have changed on it.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Brugler said weeks ago, talking to people in the league that both Penix and Nix are going in the 2nd.  but that's weeks ago don't know if his take-sources have changed on it.

I believe Brugler said his sources told him in November (2nd round), in December (1st round), after Championship (back to 2nd round). His latest mock had him in the 2nd.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I am curious where he'll go. Looking at age, and medical history, I wouldn't touch him until the late 3rd to early 4th, but everything I've heard is mid 1st to mid 2nd. I wonder what that means? 

We watched him in CFB championship game and he almost didn't make it through it.  Medical red flags galore in Penix.  I'd stay away personally.  

24 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I can see that too and agree but other draft sites compare him to so many different QBs.  It's a hoot. For instance, NFL Draft buzz:

image.png.480b68d87359cbb03fd61c149e75453c.png 

I'm not as big on Maye as others obviously but these comps are gross. Trey Lance? Mac Jones? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I'm not as big on Maye as others obviously but these comps are gross. Trey Lance? Mac Jones? 

I know.  I like this site but their comparisons of Maye are crazy to say the least.  

35 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I've seen him compared to Daniel Jones a few times too.......I dont like it....

If we take him #2, I'll be happy that we have a new QB, but I wont be excited. But I'll be optimistic.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I believe Brugler said his sources told him in November (2nd round), in December (1st round), after Championship (back to 2nd round). His latest mock had him in the 2nd.

I can kinda understand it, I definitely think Penix is a legit talent, but that's a pretty specialized pick to me w/the medicals, and the age. It's the kind of pick I'd consider for very specific situations where the build is pretty good but either the QB aint it, or is aging out, so teams like the Vikes, the Rams, Seattle, Jets, Steelers, maybe Denver, I think Penix could make sense in a scenario like that. But I don't think you want to build around a Penix if you're a long term project, and your QB situation is dire to begin with. He's just too old, and the injury risk is too high. I'm not gonna be happy if my team was just bottom 5 in the league, say, Arizona, and I bring in Penix so I have him after I deal Kyler in 2025 or whatever, and dude is basically 25 after his rookie year, after his rookie contract is wrapped you're looking at a guy whos like 29? Just seems nutty for me. If you have a Jets build and Rodgers is a thousand years old, maybe you get Penix so you can extend that competitiveness to 2029 hopefully instead of just 2026. But I don't think it makes sense for a really bad team, unless he's really cheap. As an example, for us, I would dice roll on Penix, but only with the niners compensatory or our 4th. At that point, he's a value, in the same way Howell was, but no way in hell am I using top 60 draft capital on a guy with those medical issues and that age for a team that aint gonna be good for probably 2-3 years (and only if everything works out perfectly). 

I'd add after watching some more Tyler Guyton, I am guessing that he's likely there in the early 2nd round.

He moves like a gazelle, high upside.  But inconsistent as heck.  Doesn't sustain blocks well.  But is graceful and athletic for a big dude -- so a dream for a good offensive coordinator.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

Excellent comp with Brevin Jordan. 

Too bad Iowa TE Luke Lachey is returning to school. I'd really like him for the Commanders. 

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/stats/Brevin-Jordan-TE-Miami

I liked Bevin Jordan as a draft prospect, but Jaheim Bell is like a rich man’s Bevin Jordan. Jordan tested very poorly as an athlete and also didn’t have size. A TE that’s mostly a receiving/YAC type player that doesn’t have size but also can’t run is just not that great of a prospect. 

Bell is explosive. He’s fast and twitchy and physical. I really like him as a Swiss army type player for a team with a creative OC. In his highlights you see him take handoffs, catch deep balls down the seam as an inline TE, screen plays, breaks a lot of tackles, hurdles a guy. 

He’s never going to be. Travis Kelce, but I could see him being an impact role player on a team like San Fran. 

I’d be ok with him as early as the 3rd and I think he’d be a great get in the 4th. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the two players here who are unlikely going in the top half of the first, with the most shared love, Legette and Beebe?

I like Beebe based on what the board says about him, and I love a physical blocker, but I’ll now need to go watch him. Based on those 3 clips, he moves a little like his feet are in mud. He does not look in those highlights anything like Fuaga, for instance, who probably won’t run a great 40, but is quick with quick feet in addition to being a bully. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/stats/Brevin-Jordan-TE-Miami

I liked Bevin Jordan as a draft prospect, but Jaheim Bell is like a rich man’s Bevin Jordan. Jordan tested very poorly as an athlete and also didn’t have size. A TE that’s mostly a receiving/YAC type player that doesn’t have size but also can’t run is just not that great of a prospect. 

Bell is explosive. He’s fast and twitchy and physical. I really like him as a Swiss army type player for a team with a creative OC. In his highlights you see him take handoffs, catch deep balls down the seam as an inline TE, screen plays, breaks a lot of tackles, hurdles a guy. 

He’s never going to be. Travis Kelce, but I could see him being an impact role player on a team like San Fran. 

I’d be ok with him as early as the 3rd and I think he’d be a great get in the 4th. 

I came up with that comp because their body builds reminded me of each other.

Brevin at least by current metrics is 8 pounds heavier than Bell and put up some sneaky really good numbers during his last year in college even better than Bell -- as to yards, yards per catch, TDs.  Granted Bell lost his QB midstream.  He has one of the highest rates of drops among this class.

For me, if he runs really well I'd consider him higher, if his running is just OK he feels to me feels like a mid rounder.

I don't know if Bell is a rich man's version but he definitely looks faster.  If he runs under 4.6, I'd buy in bigger.  Will see at the combine.

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I like Beebe based on what the board says about him, and I love a physical blocker, but I’ll now need to go watch him. Based on those 3 clips, he moves a little like his feet are in mud. He does not look in those highlights anything like Fuaga, for instance, who probably won’t run a great 40, but is quick with quick feet in addition to being a bully. 

He's more of a mauler than a 2nd level athleitic type.  He's a mauler both in the run game and as a pass protector.

On an aside, I watched him play some RT in one of the games I watched, he was good.  In 2021, he played LT.  I am curious about him arm length.  I think he's better suited to playing in a phone booth so at guard but if he can play some RT that would be interesting.  He shifted in one game I watched in midstream from LG to RT and then back at LG.

• Like 2