Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I really like Malachi Corley as a mid rounder. A lot of hype about about him being the next Deebo. And I do see some of that in him. But Deebo has better hands imo. Corley's hands and the level of competition he faced are the reason he will fall to the mid rounds imo. But the guy is a rac monster. 

Same, mentioned him a while back. Insane production once he’s got the ball in hand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

More interesting tidbits I just found for me to keep my head swelled :)

QB Drake Maye: Bottom-Tier NFL Starter

https://firstroundmock.com/2023/12/qb-drake-maye-bottom-tier-nfl-starter/

I am not as down on Maye as that guy is. But I think he is far behind Caleb. Maye has prototypical size and a cannon for an arm. Those traits alone make him a top 5 prospect imo. Caleb is just on another level when it comes to mid/long range accuracy. And I have Daniels pretty far behind both of them because of his lack of accuracy on in cutting routes. 

3 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I just think Maye is being inflated too much and Nix the opposite. 

I like Nix as well. But I like Penix more. The age thing for Penix is an issue though. 

• Like 1

What do you all think about Malike Nabers? He is being compared to Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson.  I don't know enough about him to say that the comparison  is right or wrong.   But thinking about Daniels and much of his success he had this year to win the Heisman, at LSU, w/50 TD's is it because of Naber's and Brian Thomas?  Some of the scouts have alluded to Daniel's improvement in accuracy in the passing game this year. Nabers is very fast, so that means he can get separation. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I like Nix as well. But I like Penix more. The age thing for Penix is an issue though. 

He's the hardest QB prospect for me to gauge. I love his poise in the pocket and he is capable of making some incredible passes - feathered type of passes too but he is also very prone to INT's in my estimation. He is going to need a good OL in front of him too.

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Nabers is incredible. If MHJ wasnt in this draft he would be a lock top 5 pick imo.

He is, but I don't think Bryan Thomas Jr. is that far behind of Nabers. He's my #5 WR I believe.

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Agree. Wilson is a big target but sluggish and not all that athletic. He’s more TE than receiver.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Johnny-Wilson-WR-ArizonaState

I'm not so sure he's all that sluggish.  I think perhaps it is optics.  His height makes him look different when he runs, but it seems like he has some speed to me.  The 4.42 40 time listed on draft buzz seems to indicate that, as well.  I realize we are looking at highlights here, and there is a lot more to see, but I'm impressed at Wilson's recognition of plays that have gone off-script and his ability to work his way back to the QB, get open, and make himself a target.  A lot of catches on that highlight reel where he wasn't the primary.  Draft Buzz seems higher on him than anyone else.  There's a wide range of opinions on him.  The mock simulators don't really have a consensus, either.  Interesting.  As with a lot of guys, the Senior Bowl and Combine may do a lot to help create a consensus on Wilson.  Lord knows we could use a guy with his size and contested catch skills in the red zone.  He'd be quite a guy to get in round 3, IMO, if he can last that long.

7 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Johnny-Wilson-WR-ArizonaState

I'm not so sure he's all that sluggish.  I think perhaps it is optics.  His height makes him look different when he runs, but it seems like he has some speed to me.  The 4.42 40 time listed on draft buzz seems to indicate that, as well.  I realize we are looking at highlights here, and there is a lot more to see, but I'm impressed at Wilson's recognition of plays that have gone off-script and his ability to work his way back to the QB, get open, and make himself a target.  A lot of catches on that highlight reel where he wasn't the primary.  Draft Buzz seems higher on him than anyone else.  There's a wide range of opinions on him.  The mock simulators don't really have a consensus, either.  Interesting.  As with a lot of guys, the Senior Bowl and Combine may do a lot to help create a consensus on Wilson.  Lord knows we could use a guy with his size and contested catch skills in the red zone.  He'd be quite a guy to get in round 3, IMO, if he can last that long.

I watched him about a month ago and talked about it here at the time after a PFF guy mentioned him as a dude to convert to TE.  In that context, he intrigues.

As a pure WR, I feel mixed about him. He has super long legs with good long speed - but i don't think he has good burst off the line of scrimmage.  Not much of a YAC guy.  Had one of the higher drop rates in this class.  Just ok in spite of his size at contested catches.  Not really a deep threat just yet.

But as a TE, who can hurt you on the 2nd level, I am intrigued.

38 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

What do you all think about Malike Nabers? He is being compared to Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson.  I don't know enough about him to say that the comparison  is right or wrong.   But thinking about Daniels and much of his success he had this year to win the Heisman, at LSU, w/50 TD's is it because of Naber's and Brian Thomas?  Some of the scouts have alluded to Daniel's improvement in accuracy in the passing game this year. Nabers is very fast, so that means he can get separation. 

Nabers is my WR3 but I think #1-3 are close and the best of them depends on flavor. Harrison and Legette are more do it all types in my eyes. Nabers is an assassin on anything resembling a deep route. He will put a defense to sleep. 

They’re all real close. People think I’m hating on Nabers from having him three but I’m not. I think the top 3 guys are ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like him but his scrawny and that with him not being that hot with contested catches pauses things on him with me.   But he seperates well and can run.

I don't care if a receiver is scrawny, to be honest. This is a semi re-hash of the whole DeVonta Smith conversation a few years back. 

For a corner/defensive player/QB/RB the size matters to a much larger extent. For a receiver... Their job is to catch the ball and not get hit. And this guy is a giant compared to DeVonta coming out.

6-3 190 4.35 forty.

He has violent hands at the LoS and can fight off jams almost as well as the bigger receivers (Legette, Harrison). He has great vision in the open field, too. 

I don't think he's going to out muscle anyone on the outside on box out situations. But he can create spacing and is a YAC monster.

He's in the second tier of receivers for me along with Odunze, though.

The triplets in tier 1 are all ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

More interesting tidbits I just found for me to keep my head swelled :)

QB Drake Maye: Bottom-Tier NFL Starter

https://firstroundmock.com/2023/12/qb-drake-maye-bottom-tier-nfl-starter/

I have watched more film on Maye and I must say I am starting to come around to liking him more than I did.  He shows me more mobility than I truly thought he had.  I always liked his size/weight over the others (Williams/Daniels).  It's a tough call but bottom line as many have said, "It is up to the new GM".  I support whoever they select as we as fans should in the end. 

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Nabers is my WR3 but I think #1-3 are close and the best of them depends on flavor. Harrison and Legette are more do it all types in my eyes. Nabers is an assassin on anything resembling a deep route. He will put a defense to sleep. 

They’re all real close. People think I’m hating on Nabers from having him three but I’m not. I think the top 3 guys are ridiculous.

Legette is my guy but we'd have to select him with our 1st 2nd, if he lasted that long which he could/should.  I hate using that pick on him when we need to draft quality OL for the new QB.  We need to spend, IMO 3 of our first 5 picks on OLmen.  Most will say two, I think 3 to fix a line that has been ignored for years.  That's just me and again, the new GM will hopefully address our OL BIG TIME. :)  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He's also a YAC machine on crossers or name that first level pass.

46 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't care if a receiver is scrawny, to be honest. This is a semi re-hash of the whole DeVonta Smith conversation a few years back. 

For a corner/defensive player/QB/RB the size matters to a much larger extent. For a receiver... Their job is to catch the ball and not get hit. And this guy is a giant compared to DeVonta coming out.

6-3 190 4.35 forty.

He has violent hands at the LoS and can fight off jams almost as well as the bigger receivers (Legette, Harrison). He has great vision in the open field, too. 

I don't think he's going to out muscle anyone on the outside on box out situations. But he can create spacing and is a YAC monster.

Devonta Smith was one of my guys, 2 years running before that draft.  But Davonta albiet being scrawny was a good contested catch guy in college at least when I watched him.

I like Franklin's speed and separation skills but he's not the most physical dude in contested catch situations and that's in college so I wonder about the pros.

I like him though.  To me he's a mid to late 2nd round type WR.  I'd go Brain Thomas and Coleman before Franklin.  But that's me.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Tyler Warren is kind of taking over this bowl game. I am a PSU fan and this is about the best he has ever played.

I am watching it.  Good game so far.

i like how Tre Harris looks in this game for Ole Miss.  I was watching him this morning some before the game. 

53 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Odunze to me is in that top tier, he's ridiculous IMO too.

As for Legette, I notice its you, me and a few others here -- but the love isn't the same with the draft community, he's mostly in that 2nd tier with them.  Not that it matters though.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. Harris can play. And Dart is better than I thought he was. He can spin it. 

I have been compiling WR stats this morning.  Just looked at Harris' numbers.  He has the 2nd best YPC among the 25 WRs I have compiled stats on today.  Tied with Marvin Harrison Jr on that number.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I have watched more film on Maye and I must say I am starting to come around to liking him more than I did.  He shows me more mobility than I truly thought he had.  I always liked his size/weight over the others (Williams/Daniels).  It's a tough call but bottom line as many have said, "It is up to the new GM".  I support whoever they select as we as fans should in the end. 

Maye certainly checks the boxes for size and his mobility is probably being underrated but I think for me, as of now I'd go:

Williams undisputed #1 by a good margin 

Daniels is #2

Nix #3 because I think his release is excellent, arm is underrated and he is very well suited to give offenses the flexibility to run the RPO stuff at a high level

JJ McCarthy is #4 (This will undoubtedly change if he completely craps the bed, but I don't expect him to. Alabama will force him to prove he can move the chains with his arm)

Maye is 5th 

There are plenty of opinions out there suggesting that Nix is not a 1st round talent. I also know pretty much all analysts and draft nerds would laugh at my rankings, but I think I am going to cross my arms in resolve and stick with this for now. 

1 minute ago, Chump Bailey said:

Maye certainly checks the boxes for size and his mobility is probably being underrated but I think for me, as of now I'd go:

Williams undisputed #1 by a good margin 

Daniels is #2

Nix #3 because I think his release is excellent, arm is underrated and he is very well suited to give offenses the flexibility to run the RPO stuff at a high level

JJ McCarthy is #4 (This will undoubtedly change if he completely craps the bed, but I don't expect him to. Alabama will force him to prove he can move the chains with his arm)

Maye is 5th 

There are plenty of opinions out there suggesting that Nix is not a 1st round talent. I also know pretty much all analysts and draft nerds would laugh at my rankings, but I think I am going to cross my arms in resolve and stick with this for now. 

I'm in flux right now.  Right now, between the 3, I am still Daniels, now Maye, then Williams.  I had Williams ahead of Maye but right now this is where I am at with the top 3.  We will end of with one of them and again, I support whoever the GM selects.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sticking on Tre Harris, big game today.  Acrobatic catches -- good catch radius.  Good size.  I liked what i saw when I watched him this morning and i am liking him even more today.

He’s already stated he’s going back to school, unfortunately, so he’s a next-year prospect. Will be a potential 1st rounder in 2025, I’d wager, though probably more of a latter-half “if he takes another step forward” guy.

11 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Which current NFL quarterback is Bo Nix most comparable to?? I haven't watched many of his games this year,  just mainly highlights.  Looks like he has some very good mobility and decent arm strength.  Just trying to figure out who he compares well with 

Stroud with worse mid range accuracy is probably my comp. I like Nix but he has times where his mid range accuracy just disappears on him.

• Like 1