Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Convicted felon Donald Trump on Trial (Found guilty on 34 felony counts. 54 criminal count still in the air)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah, there was no chance we'd end up with 19 separate trials.  It's just not logistically possible and would be highly inefficient.  There will be batches of defendants tried together.  It'll be interesting to see who gets lumped in with Trump.

On 8/26/2023 at 12:39 AM, China said:

I just realized he's scheduled to give a deposition on September 6th in the defamation case he brought against Michael Cohen.  The question is, will he show or will he drop the case before then?

3 hours ago, China said:

I didn't see any news on this.  I'm guessing Trump didn't show up for his deposition?

Apparently the deposition has been pushed to October 3rd:

• Haha 2

Goes to show that no matter how careful you are to hide evidence of one's crimes, there's always something as Gilda Radner used to say.

I'd argue that the effort to hide evidence is conclusive of existence of the crime.

TFG had no idea of what his minions were doing to document him. It's all coming out.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just bear in mind.  

Donald Trump picked Bill Barr for AG, specifically because Barr wrote a paper stating that if he had been AG at the time, Nixon's tapes would never have come out.  

The GQP here really pushed Raffensberger's last election as "he stood up to tfg" in order to sway D voters.

I pushed back. 

He did his job, he ain't special. 

He's still part of a racist, union-busting,  Roe-denying, pro-gun (which is by definition anti-life) society.

Edited by skinsmarydu
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

The GQP here really pushed Raffensberger's last election as "he stood up to tfg" in order to sway D voters.

I pushed back. 

He did his job, he ain't special. 

He's still part of a racist, union-busting,  Roe-denying, pro-gun (which is by definition anti-life) society.

Not to mention he's on board with more voter suppression laws in Georgia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trump’s comments risk tainting jury pool in federal election subversion case, special counsel says

Justice Department special counsel Jack Smith warned Tuesday that former President Donald Trump’s “daily” statements threaten to taint a jury pool in Washington in the criminal case charging him with scheming to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

Trump’s provocative comments about both Smith’s team and U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan — who is presiding over the case — have been a central issue since the indictment was filed last month. Prosecutors have repeatedly signaled their concerns about the impact of Trump’s social media posts and Chutkan explicitly cautioned against inflammatory remarks from Trump that could intimidate witnesses or contaminate potential jurors.

The posts continued Tuesday both before and after the latest concern flared, with Trump earlier in the day circulating a New York Post story about Chutkan on his Truth Social platform and openly mocking the idea that she could be fair in his case. Later in the evening, he issued another post in which he attacked Smith as a “deranged” prosecutor with “unchecked and insane aggression.”

Tuesday’s complaint from the Justice Department underscores the extent to which Trump’s social media attacks are testing the patience of prosecutors and risk exposing him to sanctions from the judge, who last week set a trial date of March 4, 2024, in an effort to keep the case moving. Trump has faced admonitions in other cases, too, with a condition of his release in a separate prosecution in Atlanta being that he refrain from intimidating co-defendants, witnesses or victims in the case.

The subject surfaced again in a dispute over a motion that the Justice Department said it wanted to file under seal, with an accompanying redacted version to be filed on the public docket. Defense lawyers objected, countering that they were entitled time to review the Justice Department’s filings and any proposed sealed exhibits before they could be docketed.

But prosecutors said it would untenable to take several weeks to decide whether “every ordinary filing that refers to Sensitive Materials may be docketed.”

“Such a requirement would grind litigation in this case to a halt, which is particularly infeasible given the pressing matters before the Court — including the defendant’s daily extrajudicial statements that threaten to prejudice the jury pool in this case, as described in the Government’s motion,” the Smith team wrote.

Chutkan set deadlines for next week for additional filings that she said may be filed under seal.

Click on the link for the full article

Will they ever put a gag order on him?

• Haha 1

Trump tells judge he may try to move Georgia election interference case to federal court

Former President Donald Trump on Thursday formally notified the judge overseeing the Georgia election subversion case that he “may” try to move his state case into federal court.

Trump’s lawyers have previously said they would try to move the case, which could help him get the charges dropped by invoking immunity protections for federal officials.

“President Trump hereby notifies the Court that he may seek removal of his prosecution to federal court,” his lawyer Steven Sadow said in a brief court filing. “To be timely, his notice of removal must be filed within 30-days of his arraignment.”

The 30-day clock began on August 31, when Trump waived his right to an arraignment hearing and entered a not guilty plea.

There are several potential benefits for Trump if he can move the state case into federal court.

It would give him additional avenues to get the charges dropped if he can convince a judge that his alleged actions in the indictment were tied to his formal duties as a government official.

If the case stays in state court, the jurors will all come from Fulton County, which President Joe Biden won by a 47-point margin. If the case moves to federal court, the jury pool will be culled from a 10-county region near Atlanta that Biden won by 32 points, a narrower but still comfortable margin.

Several of Trump’s 19 co-defendants are already attempting to move their case to federal court.

I think whatever happens with Meadows will determine how all the other requests go.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Good article...

Nah, he should spend some time in jail. Does Jack Smith need him? I doubt it. He’s had his chance to cooperate. Sure, he can plead guilty all he wants, but I hope Willis doesn’t take jail time off the table.

Lots of big words in that letter though.

• Thumb up 1

Saw that the GA Grand Jury recommended indictments on Graham and two others, but Willis chose not to. I’ll see if I can find a link.  Wonder if he’s still in the crosshairs.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/08/politics/fulton-county-special-grand-jury-report/index.html

Oh snap, it was Perdue and Loeffler also.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I must say that I enjoy the legal education that MSNBC and their contributors are giving every day on these court cases, criminal and civil. As a person with a paralegal degree who never worked in a law office, I appreciate the explanations these legal minds are providing. Keeping my mind active.

I watch Deadline White House and The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell every day and sometimes Rachel Maddow on Monday nights. 

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Saw that the GA Grand Jury recommended indictments on Graham and two others, but Willis chose not to. I’ll see if I can find a link.  Wonder if he’s still in the crosshairs.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/08/politics/fulton-county-special-grand-jury-report/index.html

Oh snap, it was Perdue and Loeffler also.

Maybe Willis had to make a choice and Congresspersons were a cut off.  

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Perdue and Loeffler aren't members of Congress anymore, though...

giphy.gif

Agreed, but they once were and that might have counted in the decision. To me, who was indicted were Trump as the mob boss, his various lawyers performing various functions, other federal staffers performing various non job related functions, and Georgia residents performing various criminal functions. 

Congresspersons past and present would bring a whole other level of participation in the criminal enterprise and certainly swell defendant numbers beyond 19, already a big number.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Breaking news: Federal judge in Georgia decides that Mark Meadows can't take his case to federal court. 49 page decision.

Link:

Judge Denies Meadows’s Request to Move Georgia Case to Federal Court

Georgia prosecutors leading the criminal election interference case against former President Donald J. Trump and 18 of his allies notched a victory on Friday when a judge rejected an effort by Mark Meadows, Mr. Trump’s former White House chief of staff, to move his case from state court to federal court.

Mr. Meadows would have faced the same state felony charges had his case been heard by a federal judge and jury, including a racketeering charge for his role in what prosecutors have described as a “criminal organization” that sought to overturn Mr. Trump’s 2020 election loss in the state. But removal to federal court would have given him one key advantage: a jury pool that was more favorable to Mr. Trump.

The setback for Mr. Meadows is the first of many rulings that are expected for the Georgia defendants who are seeking to have their cases removed. Mr. Trump has not filed for a removal to federal court, but he is widely expected to do so.

However, the ruling, by Judge Steve C. Jones of the Northern District of Georgia, does not bode well for those efforts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2