Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Son of Flyers GM Caught on Camera Pushing Wheelchair Down Bar Stairs

Dan T.

Mercyhurst University hockey player Carson Briere is seen on video pushing a woman’s wheelchair down a flight of stairs at a local bar.  The wheelchair was left at the top of the stairs so that the woman could be carried down the steps to the only bathroom in the establishment. Briere is the son of Daniel Briere, acting GM of the Philadelphia Flyers.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Sad 3

• Dan T. changed the title to Son of Flyers GM Caught on Camera Pushing Wheelchair Down Bar Stairs

The “kid” (he’s 23) was kicked off the Arizona State University Hockey team for “a violation of team rules.”  Mercyhurst was his so-called second chance. 

Mercyhurst issued a statement saying that the “Office of Student Conduct and Department of Police and Safety are investigating.”

Daniel Briere was a little turd as a player, and was a member of the hockey team I hate most (Philly).  That being said, I'd normally be inclined to give the kid the benefit of the doubt and figure he was buzzed (the guys had drinks in their hands) and didn't realize the scope of what he was doing; you put a wheelchair in a bar, and some drunk idiot is eventually going to do something with it.  But apparently this kid has a reputation as being a punk.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Daniel Briere was a little turd as a player, and was a member of the hockey team I hate most (Philly).  That being said, I'd normally be inclined to give the kid the benefit of the doubt and figure he was buzzed (the guys had drinks in their hands) and didn't realize the scope of what he was doing; you put a wheelchair in a bar, and some drunk idiot is eventually going to do something with it.  But apparently this kid has a reputation as being a punk.

With respect, nobody should be given the benefit of the doubt for pushing a wheel chair down the stairs regardless of whether they are drinking or not. Even if he had no history, it's pretty ****ing low. His POS friend was just as responsible. 

• Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Hersh said:

With respect, nobody should be given the benefit of the doubt for pushing a wheel chair down the stairs regardless of whether they are drinking or not. Even if he had no history, it's pretty ****ing low. His POS friend was just as responsible. 

Completely agree, and I could've worded my initial response better.  I've never done anything like that before, but I've hung around a lot of good, decent guys do dumb stupid things at bars when they're drunk to try to be funny, not necessarily with any bad intent.  Maybe I'm being way too lenient, but it's entirely possible someone under the influence would view the unattended wheelchair as property of the bar, not necessarily property of a handicap person.  Junior definitely owes the victim an apology and payment for a new wheelchair, but in todays society there's a very real chance he'll have to hire a PR firm to apologize 100x on his behalf and perhaps gets kicked off his hockey team.  I don't agree with that (based on what I saw in the video), hence my response.

12 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

The most shocking thing about this story is that Daniel Brier has a 23 year old son.  I'm not prepared to accept that.

Yeah, it's scary that guy reproduced.  And a 23 year old son makes me feel really old; it seems like just yesterday I was booing him as a player.

1 minute ago, capcrunch98 said:

Completely agree, and I could've worded my initial response better.  I've never done anything like that before, but I've hung around a lot of good, decent guys do dumb stupid things at bars when they're drunk to try to be funny, not necessarily with any bad intent.  Maybe I'm being way too lenient, but it's entirely possible someone under the influence would view the unattended wheelchair as property of the bar, not necessarily property of a handicap person.  Junior definitely owes the victim an apology and payment for a new wheelchair, but in todays society there's a very real chance he'll have to hire a PR firm to apologize 100x on his behalf and perhaps gets kicked off his hockey team.  I don't agree with that (based on what I saw in the video), hence my response.

All good and I understand where you are coming from. Drunk people do dumb ****. 

• Thumb up 1

44 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

The “kid” (he’s 23) was kicked off the Arizona State University Hockey team for “a violation of team rules.”  Mercyhurst was his so-called second chance. 

Mercyhurst issued a statement saying that the “Office of Student Conduct and Department of Police and Safety are investigating.”

Arizona State has a hockey team?

24 minutes ago, tshile said:

At least someone wasn’t in the wheelchair 

Our society's standards have fallen far

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

The most shocking thing about this story is that Daniel Brier has a 23 year old son.  I'm not prepared to accept that.

He's 45 so its not really that much of a stretch although most tend to have kids later.  But yeah what made me feel old when I found out some of my classmates had kids who already graduated college at my 25th HS reunion (although its not exactly typical).  Some people just start young.

And apparently he's not even the oldest - has another son whose 24, plays for Alabama https://www.alabamahockeyclub.com/caelen-briere

Growing up, Brière attended Collège Saint-Alexandre, a private high school in Gatineau. He has four sons- Caelan (born July 1998);[37] Carson (born September 1999);[38] Cameron (born April 2001)[39][40] and Caiden (born March 2022). He currently resides in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with his four boys and wife Dr. Misha Briere.

So it looks he popped out three in quick succession and then wised up 🙂

And I'm sorry, but Caelan, Carson, Cameron, Calden?  How much more douchy can you get.

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

He's 45 so its not really that much of a stretch although most tend to have kids later.  But yeah what made me feel old when I found out some of my classmates had kids who already graduated college at my 25th HS reunion (although its not exactly typical).  Some people just start young.

If his son started at the same age, he'd be a Grandfather.

Edited by PokerPacker

31 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

If his son started at the same age, he'd be a Grandfather.

Danny Briere was drafted in the first round o the NHL draft (24th overall).  In hockey that is certainly no guarantee you’ll even make the league, however there is a pretty good chance.  It looks like his first wife, Sylvia,  went to the same high school. (Gatineau).   So maybe it’s something like they were in love, he gets drafted pretty high in the NHL draft so should have a good career ahead of him, they get married.  If you’re the wife, you don’t have a career, but do have a soon to be well off husband, I bet you would think hey, why not have a kid or two to keep the husband anchored and maybe dissuade him from straying?  

3 hours ago, tshile said:

At least someone wasn’t in the wheelchair 

When I read the headline that’s what I assumed had happened.  Some jerk pushing a chair down the stairs is much less shocking after such an assumption.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Destino said:

When I read the headline that’s what I assumed had happened.  Some jerk pushing a chair down the stairs is much less shocking after such an assumption.  

If that had happened, I assure you I would have put that in the headline.