Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Axios: HelloFresh drops coconut milk from Thailand over monkey labor allegations

Cooked Crack

Under pressure from animal rights activists, HelloFresh will stop selling coconut milk sourced from Thailand in its meal kits in the coming months over monkey labor allegations, the company confirmed to Axios. 

Driving the news: Major retailers, including Walmart, Costco, Target and Kroger, have already stopped carrying coconut milk from certain Thai suppliers accused of using monkeys for forced labor, but HelloFresh is taking it a step further by saying it won’t source any coconut milk from Thailand. 

The big picture: Thailand had approximately 80% of the market share for coconut milk in the U.S. and exported nearly 78,000 tons in 2020, according to 2020 export data provided by the Office of Agricultural Affairs at the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. 

Context: Since 2019, when PETA started investigating the alleged animal exploitation, it has been pushing retailers and brands to stop selling coconut milk allegedly made with coconuts harvested by monkeys. The monkeys have been kidnapped, chained and whipped, PETA has found and documented.   

Meanwhile, the Royal Thai Embassy in D.C. confirmed efforts being made by the Department of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives of Thailand, including a new “Monkey Free Plus" program announced in December.

https://www.axios.com/2023/03/06/coconut-milk-hellofresh-monkey-labor-thailand?

Finally someone is addressing the monkey labor issues!

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So it's ok for dogs, horses and other animals to have jobs but not monkeys?

I mean, nobody should be able to abuse any of those animals, but I don't see the problem with just having a job.  

Fascist capitalist swine.

Edited by TradeTheBeal!
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I haven't consumed coconut anything since I left home at 18.

My mom makes this amazing wet coconut cake, and it's the only thing I can stand.  *unless it's a fat Pina Colada at the pool bar*

Served in a coconut husk, or a pineapple?

On 3/8/2023 at 1:34 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

So it's ok for dogs, horses and other animals to have jobs but not monkeys?

I mean, nobody should be able to abuse any of those animals, but I don't see the problem with just having a job.  

Forced labor isn't a job.

And you named a couple we're nice to...you seen what we do to chickens lately?

37 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Which?  The cake goes on a damn plate.  

I'll take the drink in a red solo cup, who cares?  :ols: 

Hmm... now I kinda want to eat a coconut cake out of a pineapple.  Just, like, stuff the entire pineapple with cake and go to town.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, PokerPacker said:

Hmm... now I kinda want to eat a coconut cake out of a pineapple.  Just, like, stuff the entire pineapple with cake and go to town.

If you're nice, I'll send you the recipe. 

I cook well, but I don't bake well at all, it's too precise.  This one though, would blow your mind.  It's a wet cake, only time I've ever known of such a thing. 

Coming up next: activists who ****ed about monkeys trained (and fed and housed and protected) to pick coconuts to be replaced by activists who will **** about the working conditions the human replacements will be working in.

Completely asinine.

~Bang

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1