Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Just now, RWJ said:

Seems like this has started to grow legs now with the release of J.D. even though we knew he was hurt!

Ugh.

That contract + draft compensation makes me uneasy.

Just looking at the player in a vacuum? I love it. Ekeler is awesome and would add a real needed dynamic to the offense. And Bienemy would absolutely find a way to use him.

If this were to happen I'd need to see the compensation/contract to have a real opinion.

On the surface, I think it looks like a bad idea. 

• Like 3

Just now, KDawg said:

Ugh.

That contract + draft compensation makes me uneasy.

Just looking at the player in a vacuum? I love it. Ekeler is awesome and would add a real needed dynamic to the offense. And Bienemy would absolutely find a way to use him.

If this were to happen I'd need to see the compensation/contract to have a real opinion.

On the surface, I think it looks like a bad idea. 

Pure speculation, KDawg what if they wanted a 3rd.  Would you do it?

Just now, No Nonsense said:

Schefter said something interesting. GB is talking to another team besides the Jets about Aaron Rodgers. 

I'm sure other teams are calling.

My guess is Lazard to the Jets was a domino Rodgers wanted to have happen before he decided to say okay to the trade. And Lazard is now with the Jets.

We'll see how it plays out.

Despite my reservations for trading big assets for a QB... I'd love to see Rodgers are our QB. But that is a pipedream.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Schefter said something interesting. GB is talking to another team besides the Jets about Aaron Rodgers. 

Something about another team being invovled in the trade to make it happen and him to go to the Jets.  I think. 

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Pure speculation, KDawg what if they wanted a 3rd.  Would you do it?

His contract is more my issue than the third. If it's more team friendly than we (the media, myself, others here) think then maybe?

• Like 1

The issue with getting Ekeler is not what it would cost to trade for him - its the contract extension he would want. He is due $7.5M this season, he probably wants something close to the franchise tag number for a RB which is just over $10M per. Or maybe a bit less but a couple of years guaranteed. I'm not sure I want to pay a back - even one who is as good in the passing game as Ekeler - anything close to $10M per year. That almost never works out.

• Like 5
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Seems like this has started to grow legs now with the release of J.D. even though we knew he was hurt!

Grown legs how?   I see some fans talking about it on twitter, I haven't seen a single beat reporter say they've heard about it, unless I missed one?

It seems like the rumor started because one small time national reporter, forgot their name, threw it out there.  Then Josh Taylor, a fan, draft geek, started saying he's hearing rumors.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Grown legs how?   I see some fans talking about it on twitter, I haven't seen a single beat reporter say they've heard about it, unless I missed one?

It seem like the rumor started because one small time national reporter, forgot their name, threw it out there.  Then Josh Taylor, a fan, draft geek, started saying he's hearing rumors.  

Alright, watch this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The issue with getting Ekeler is not what it would cost to trade for him - its the contract extension he would want. He is due $7.5M this season, he probably wants something close to the franchise tag number for a RB which is just over $10M per. Or maybe a bit less but a couple of years guaranteed. I'm not sure I want to pay a back - even one who is as good in the passing game as Ekeler - anything close to $10M per year. That almost never works out.

I’m not completely disagreeing but I have to imagine there is a contract we could work out with dummy team years on the end that would let us cut him or renegotiate by year 3 or 4. I think if he’s getting 7 mil and we got him double that in guaranteed money we could make it happen, but maybe not. Worth seeing what his demands are. Something like a 3 year extension that gives him 15 mil this year at signing and lowers his cap hit?

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Alright, watch this.

That.  And also I ignore almost all of the fans on twitter who say they have "sources".  

There is one dude for example tied to a blog slowly rolling out tweets of different players the Commanders met at the Senior Bowl as if its news even though Nagy has said every team has met with every player at the Senior Bowl.  But this dude is tweeting them a few names at a time like he's breaking news. :ols:

It's weird.  Some just like to make educated guess and report that they hear it from sources.

Any one of us can do it.  For example if I went on twitter and said I've heard from "reliable sources" that the Commanders have really ramped up their search for a backup QB today and have put out feelers with Brissett and Dalton's agents.  Good chance I am guessing right.  Or at a minimum some would be jazzed about the tweet and bug me for more info.  :ols:  Even though its all BS.

As for the Chargers RB, there was one obscure reporter that tweeted about it but I haven't seen anything else.  If someone who covers the team talks about it, I'll buy it.  But right now I am dubious. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That.  And also I ignore almost all of the fans on twitter who say they have "sources".  

There is one dude for example tied to a blog slowly rolling out tweets of different players the Commanders met at the Senior Bowl as if its news even though Nagy has said every team has met with every player at the Senior Bowl.  But this dude is tweeting them a few names at a time like he's breaking news. :ols:

It's weird.  Some just like to make educated guess and report that they hear it from sources.

Any one of us can do it.  For example if I went on twitter and said I've heard from "reliable sources" that the Commanders have really ramped up their search for a backup QB today and have put out feelers with Brissett and Dalton's agents.  Good chance I am guessing right.  Or at a minimum some would be jazzed about the tweet and bug me for more info.  :ols:  Even though its all BS.

As for the Chargers RB, there was one obscure reporter that tweeted about but I haven't seen anything else.  If someone who covers the team talks about it, I'll buy it.  But right now I am dubious. 

As I told KDawg I posted this for a laugh to break up the drama.  :) 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Ouch!  

• Like 1

It’s probably moot, because I don’t think our team really wants to get into a bidding war if it materializes for Ekeler.  This list below of potentially interested teams probably would be willing to give up more $ and picks than we would (Chicago in particular). But still worth evaluating.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/austin-ekeler-landing-spots-chargers-rb-granted-permission-to-talk-to-other-teams-about-trades/

Chicago Bears

The Bears have a bunch of extra draft capital now after trading out of the No. 1 overall pick. They have more cap space than any team in the league. And they are likely highly motivated to surround Justin Fields with as much talent as possible this year so that they can make an informed decision on whether or not to extend his contract next offseason. They have a solid back on the team in Khalil Herbert, but he was almost entirely uninvolved as a pass-catcher last year, and Ekeler would provide a much different look. He would immediately be the one of Fields' top two targets along with D.J. Moore

Detroit Lions

It sounds like the Lions are going to lose Jamaal Williams to the Buffalo Bills. We have seen over the past couple years that they want to rotate two or even three backs through the lineup, and doing so could help keep both Ekeler and D'Andre Swift fresh throughout the year. They are similar players, which could lead to diminishing returns, but it would also allow them to not have to change much of their offense depending on which back is on the field. That said, Detroit may not want to pay up for Ekeler's services given its desire to rotate multiple backs. 

Denver Broncos

Sean Payton has valued receiving backs very highly, as we saw during the Alvin Kamara days with the Saints. Denver has room for another back after releasing Chase Edmonds, and we don't yet know when Javonte Williams will be ready to return from his torn ACL -- or how healthy he'll be when he does. Giving Russell Wilson a security blanket in underneath areas could help get him back to a level of player closer to where he was in Seattle than what he showed a year ago. 

Miami Dolphins

Miami signed two backs last offseason in Edmonds and Raheem Mostert, then traded away Edmonds and acquired Jeff Wilson Jr. Both Wilson and Mostert, along with Salvon Ahmed and Myles Gaskin, are free agents this offseason. We know this team is willing to invest in the running back position, we know it's willing to trade draft picks for high-level players, and we know Mike McDaniel can scheme up pass-catching opportunities for explosive players. The fit makes sense. 

Houston Texans

Houston has Dameon Pierce on a rookie deal, and he should be a big part of the team's offense. But Pierce was not a particularly efficient passing-game weapon last season, and Houston could be interested in giving its new quarterback -- whomever that is -- a top-flight weapon out of the backfield for the next few years. Rotating Ekeler and Pierce could be good for both players, and for the offense.