Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC13: Man killed while stealing catalytic converter after being run over by would-be victim, police say

Cooked Crack

Authorities say a car with four suspects inside pulled up to the lifted 4x4 Ford Excursion, and one of them got out to saw off the vehicle's catalytic converter. 

A woman was sleeping inside the truck and heard the noises and thought someone was breaking in. She started the engine and put the car in reverse gear. When she felt a bump, she got out and called 911 after she saw the grand theft suspect on the ground. 

Responding deputies detained the three other suspects, another man and two women. The suspect that was struck was taken to Antelope Valley Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

https://abc13.com/man-killed-stealing-catalytic-converter-theft-converters-palmdale-ca/12819570/

Play stupid games..

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I get that precious metals are very valuable..I wonder why though they're needed for catalytic converters.

Catalytic converters are muffler-shaped devices that are part of the exhaust system that remove harmful pollutants from engine emissions. The inside of a catalytic converter contains a honeycomb structure that is coated with precious metals and those precious metals act as a catalyst in order to break down those harmful pollutants and convert them into less harmful emissions.

Interesting. wonder if there’s another way to do that. 

6 hours ago, tshile said:

Interesting. wonder if there’s another way to do that. 

From what I can remember of organic chem, platinum catalysts are the **** when it comes to gases.  Though I can't remember why - perhaps its because they are largely inert themselves.

2 hours ago, Larry said:

You think they're choosing to use platinum when there's a cheaper way to do it?  :) 

I think sometimes an industry doesn’t change what they’re doing until external forces make them

yes, I think there may be a cheaper and better way there just hasn’t been the r&d to find it yet. 

2 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

The invention opens the door for new catalytic technologies using non-precious metal catalysts for important applications such as storing renewable energy, making renewable fuels, and manufacturing sustainable materials

@Larry

see! ;)

Georgia man crushed to death while trying to steal catalytic converter: police

A Georgia man was crushed to death by a car while he was allegedly attempting to steal a catalytic converter from a local auto-shop, police confirmed with Fox News Digital. 

According to the Chatham County Police Department, Matthew Eric Smith, 32, was found dead on Tuesday at approximately 9:15 a.m., after a car fell and crushed him at South Bound Auto Sales.

Autoshop owner Mike Abouharb shared that he found the man’s body when he arrived at work in the morning. 

"I didn’t even get close to him," Abouharb told WTOC-TV. "I called the police right away."

Police ruled the death accidental, sharing that Smith’s death was "the result of an attempted catalytic converter theft."

Click on the link for the full article