Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A (Not So Happy) 10 Year Anniversary

LetThePointsSoar

So my social media popped up a memory of this picture today so it made me realize.  10 years ago today, this was my viewpoint of watching RG3's knee (and playing career) crumble right before our very eyes. 

Screenshot_20230106_125807_Facebook.thumb.jpg.f7efb3f8a513756dfad50c787d0beaa5.jpg

I still think of how much optimism there was at the beginning of that game (especially after we jumped out to that big lead), and how it was CRUSHED by game end. 

hi-res-159059676_crop_north.thumb.jpg.8341ac7eaa0690f7316b032049c2f0a2.jpg

Now we sit here 10 years later, and hopefully optimism is soon to return as the reign of terror is all but over. 

Thank God. 

Hail. 

Edited by LetThePointsSoar
Fat fingers
  • Sad 6

12 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I still wonder who should get the blame for RG 3's injury. Was it Shanahan, who supposedly refused to notice his injury and kept him in the game? Was it RG 3, who supposedly snuck back onto the field to play? Does anyone know the real story?

I wish RG3 didn’t decide to go back on his word to release that book he was going to come out with…..might’ve found out some juicy info in that book :( 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I wish RG3 didn’t decide to go back on his word to release that book he was going to come out with…..might’ve found out some juicy info in that book :( 

He either had a 'come to Jesus' meeting with his agent who explained that his book would LOSE money, or Snyder had him sign an NDA to keep his mouth shut. Maybe the book never even existed...he could have mentioned it in order to get a payout/NDA from Snyder.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I still wonder who should get the blame for RG 3's injury. Was it Shanahan, who supposedly refused to notice his injury and kept him in the game? Was it RG 3, who supposedly snuck back onto the field to play? Does anyone know the real story?

I have no doubt that RG3 wanted to keep playing. I do blame Shanahan for letting it happen. We all watched RG3 hobble around for several drives when it was clear he was broken. Shanahan was the head coach on the field, it was up to him to pull the plug, even if their was whining afterwards. Pride and proving a point aren't the problem for me, it was that a clearly injured player was being allowed to destroy himself further, to the detriment of both himself and the team.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I have no doubt that RG3 wanted to keep playing. I do blame Shanahan for letting it happen. We all watched RG3 hobble around for several drives when it was clear he was broken. Shanahan was the head coach on the field, it was up to him to pull the plug, even if their was whining afterwards. Pride and proving a point aren't the problem for me, it was that a clearly injured player was being allowed to destroy himself further, to the detriment of both himself and the team.

Yeah. I don't have a lot of great things to say about the way Griffin handled himself in his career, but I don't blame any player for wanting to play. The coach needs to see a guy is hurt and take him out. You want players on your team who are going to do everything they can to stay on the field, even when hurt. 

• Like 3

When we took the 14-0 lead in that game, I wasn’t just thinking divisional playoffs the next week— I was absolutely thinking Super Bowl. The swing of emotion from early in that game to late was remarkable. 

Our defense hung tough; Reed Doughty had a standout performance. Hard to know now of course, but had they recognized how hurt RG3 was after we scored to make it 14-0 and they went to Kirk at that point…Cousins obviously wasn’t the player he is now back then. He may have stunk up the joint— but he also may have helped us move the sticks— because RG3 was done and couldn’t. 

I am honestly not an RG3 fan; I find his personality off-putting and I believe at that time he was highly insecure, entitled (largely by the owner), lacked self-awareness both personally and as a player, and was generally cringe-worthy. However, for THAT DAY, I think the blame falls on Shanny. I don’t care what RG3 told him or even what Doc Andrews told him- his EYEBALLS should have told him that his QB was not in condition to play— for his own personal safety and the betterment of the team. That day was a failure by Shanny. I am not saying the entire RG3 failure was though. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

@kleese I agree on all counts. Looking back, I'm sure Atlanta might have wiped the floor with the Skins. But in that moment I was sure that team could win any game...they were on a roll. I also think that just simply controlling the clock and getting 2 FG drives from that point forward would have been enough. We saw Cousins **** the bed a few years after that (we also saw him look quite good earlier THAT year), but I think he could have done that. 

I also agree that, no matter how big RG3's ego and how much was riding on that game, the adult on the sideline at that time MUST be the one to make the right decision. The coach has to sit the player because you can't leave it to the player to honestly say he needs to come out. In a perfect world, sure. But let's be real here...that's the coach's job 11 times out of 10. 

20 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I'm thinking that Shanny was afraid of what Snyder would do if he benched RG3. Another incidence of the inmates running the asylum.

I'm sure that entered into his thinking. Snyder is awful. But, at some point when you have the clout that Shanahan did, you do the right thing and let the chips fall where they may. If you get fired for pulling your hobbled rookie-of-the-year QB who's clearly injured, something tells me the public perception (along with all the money that comes with it) will be on your side. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I'm thinking that Shanny was afraid of what Snyder would do if he benched RG3.

If we lose, he sure would have been cooked by everyone. And many around here would have killed him for this, let's be honest).

But if we win the game with RG3 is benched? Why would anyone have complained about it?

That was his call as a HC, and he failed at it.

I'm convinced Redskins fans don't talk about the 2012 season because of the way it ended.

Exhibit A:

All last year was 10 year anniversary of that season, and not one thread was made about it until 10 year anniversary of the Seahawks game.

You could not convince me during the Vikings game he'd be gone in a couple years, that's how fast that star burned up all its fuel and went supernova. I know that broke a large number of fans, especially millennial fans, we may never get right if that's what happens when we get a talent at QB like that.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I was at the game the week before, flew in and went with my old college buddy, tailgated with ES, burned a Romo jersey… or something similar. 
I almost turned around the next weekend and came back, instead hosted a huge party with a ton of friends. RG3 was a national sensation, my buddies were literally wearing his jersey to the party (all non skins fans) 

One of the most exciting and heartbreaking years of Fanhood 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1