Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Falcons Fall Flat

KDawg

The RPO with Mariotta seemed so effective because he never seemed to be attempting to pull off some miracle run, it was always just used to grab an easy 4-5 yards to stay ahead of the sticks.  That is where I can think it can be effective for Taylor as well.  Keep the ball, get your 4-5 yards and slide before anyone is even close enough to hit you at all.  You don't need to be RG3 or Lamar Jackson out there. In this offense just getting a chunk of yards is enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

The RPO with Mariotta seemed so effective because he never seemed to be attempting to pull off some miracle run, it was always just used to grab an easy 4-5 yards to stay ahead of the sticks.  That is where I can think it can be effective for Taylor as well.  Keep the ball, get your 4-5 yards and slide before anyone is even close enough to hit you at all.  You don't need to be RG3 or Lamar Jackson out there. In this offense just getting a chunk of yards is enough.

It wasn't 4-5, dude was ripping 10 yards everytime. 

If they ran read option every play I don't think we'd ever stop them.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

The difference is that Mariotta had like 4.5 speed and can beat DEs. Taylor has gotten caught many times. There have been a few times where he makes it to the linebackers or the sidelines but it's not anywhere near at likely as with MM

Moving up in the NFL.com Power Rankings and a nice nod to BRob as well. :)

Rank

Washington Commanders

Previous rank: No. 16

The qualifications for the Comeback Player of the Year are nebulous to start with, so let’s dispense with any overthinking and give the damn award to Brian Robinson Jr. The rookie running back was shot twice in the leg during an attempted robbery in August, made it back to the field in October, and, at the end of November, looks like the physical difference-maker the Commanders thought they were getting when they made him a third-round pick last April. On Sunday, Robinson registered his first 100-yard rushing performance and added a truck-stick receiving touchdown in a dramatic win over the Falcons. Pairing this version of Robinson with a bruising Washington defense constitutes a roadmap to more wins for the surging Commanders.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, zCommander said:

This is almost the same throw from last year in triple coverage. Except the ball is higher and over the DB and was a completion. On Sunday it was not the case. So maybe the decision was not wrong just the arc on the throw was since he has done this before. 

The difference on Sunday was there was coverage underneath he had to get it over AND a safety behind - so he had a much smaller window to put the ball into and zero margin for error. It's a throw he's frankly not really capable of and it was a bad decision. Especially in that situation on the edge of FG range with limited clock and 3 timeouts in his pocket. Check it down, take the 6 or 7 yards (which would have put us into long FG territory right there) and use a TO.

He's getting better at making these kinds of decisions and protecting the ball - but every now and then his gunslinger mentality comes out and he writes checks his arm cant cover.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, zCommander said:

This is almost the same throw from last year in triple coverage. Except the ball is higher and over the DB and was a completion. On Sunday it was not the case. So maybe the decision was not wrong just the arc on the throw was since he has done this before. 

taylorh.thumb.jpg.ed74d095dba1bb30bcbb0021cf4c510c.jpg

Its not close to the same throw.

No bracket coverage, ball going to the sideline not middle of field.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

That pass this last week was thrown into more coverage that the Mods Thanksgiving plates. I'm talking no visible platter, all available space consumed by food.

If your trying to work your fork to the just the turkey, but its covered in gravy, stuffing and mashed potatoes your playing a dangerous game. Just say no to throwing up ducks into triple coverage.

Can anyone else here tell It took me a while to work thru my leftovers?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

Its not close to the same throw.

No bracket coverage, ball going to the sideline not middle of field.

I guess I should have worded better. What I was trying to say is that Taylor does this a lot. Triple or Quad coverage (well the ref did take one of them out) and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. He is a risk taker. He lives on no risk no reward mentality. Good thing he has a short memory and just shakes it off.