Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington at Indy ~ Jim Irsay The People's Champ Edition

TK
Message added by TK,

1638968134_ScreenShot2022-10-30at7_15_40PM.thumb.png.beb0abb1113fde9d33d365ef2e549a12.png

This is nothing new.  Year after sad year, we win some games - often times in barely watchable battles where the team that was less bad is victorious.

I’m actually kind of surprised that we still

have fans that care enough to want to celebrate victory Mondays, and get upset that others aren’t as happy as they are. 

The NFL is a hell of a drug.  It’s wild that we can have a team owned by an outright awful human being, turn what was once gold into poop, change its name and uniforms, and field generally mediocre to bad football teams year after year…and yet still have fans that know all this be hyped up to win a 17-16 slopfest against a 6th round midget starting his first game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Not too long ago, it seemed QB starting their first game or even playing in their first game always seemed to come out and light up our team.  Now we have people bemoaning victories not looking easy against them.  It may not seem like much, but it smacks of progress to me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gbear said:

Not too long ago, it seemed QB starting their first game or even playing in their first game always seemed to come out and light up our team.  Now we have people bemoaning victories not looking easy against them.  It may not seem like much, but it smacks of progress to me.

Defense is definitely better now than it has been for sure, but Ehlinger also looks like the kind of guy you can tank with.

Its not about it looking easy, but there’s a reason why we get the Z broadcast team.  Because it’s Taylor Heinicke vs. Sam Ehlinger, which is what leads to some pretty awful football for 58 minutes.  Credit to Heinicke and Terry though for saving it in the last two minutes.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

8 hours ago, Ball Security said:

For everyone saying we’re going to get blown away next week, keep in mind that this team we just beat, beat Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs.

That’s Michael Scott logic:

Dwight gave a great speech. That's the word on the street, anyway. And I entertained Dwight to no end with my bar story, so I captivated the guy who captivated a thousand guys. Can you believe that? A thousand guys.
Edited by Catatonic
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is nothing new.  Year after sad year, we win some games - often times in barely watchable battles where the team that was less bad is victorious.

I’m actually kind of surprised that we still

have fans that care enough to want to celebrate victory Mondays, and get upset that others aren’t as happy as they are. 

The NFL is a hell of a drug.  It’s wild that we can have a team owned by an outright awful human being, turn what was once gold into poop, change its name and uniforms, and field generally mediocre to bad football teams year after year…and yet still have fans that know all this be hyped up to win a 17-16 slopfest against a 6th round midget starting his first game.

dude, we were bad for six years before Dan Snyder came in, there's only a handful of teams who still have the same unis from 30 years ago, they didn't want to change the name and we've lost plenty of games against young or first time starters. 

And I'm not upset you're not happy, I'm upset you're trying to drown out my happiness

6 minutes ago, MrJL said:

dude, we were bad for six years before Dan Snyder came in, there's only a handful of teams who still have the same unis from 30 years ago, they didn't want to change the name and we've lost plenty of games against young or first time starters. 

And I'm not upset you're not happy, I'm upset you're trying to drown out my happiness

I was not aware that my lack of enthusiasm impacts your ability to be happy.

It seems you are doing a rather swell job of convincing yourself that things aren’t as bad as they really are though.

Sigh. I hate that people who aren’t happy with the wins have to argue with those that are, and that those that are, have to argue with those that aren’t. I don’t even know what’s the right way to act today, should I be happy we won? Should I be angry? Either way, it’ll result in attacks from the other side……

:( 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Sigh. I hate that people who aren’t happy with the wins have to argue with those that are, and that those that are, have to argue with those that aren’t. I don’t even know what’s the right way to act today, should I be happy we won? Should I be angry? Either way, it’ll result in attacks from the other side……

:( 

I personally don’t give a flying eff how others feel about the game.  If wins like yesterday get folks excited, great for them.  That doesn’t mean I have to pretend the game was something it wasn’t.  

I feel great for Terry, the defense and even TH.  

It was still bad football, that was barely watchable for 3 hours, that I wouldn’t get carried away about.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I personally don’t give a flying eff how others feel about the game.  If wins like yesterday get folks excited, great for them.  That doesn’t mean I have to pretend the game was something it wasn’t.  

It was still bad football, that was barely watchable for 3 hours, that I wouldn’t get carried away about.

I think that’s where I’m at too: happy for the guys, but also realistic in thinking it’s a win that while, yeah, it felt good in the moment, it’s not a win that will make me feel like it will lead to anything major in terms of a successful season. 

so I’d put myself in the middle of both sides I guess

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

A win is a win! I’m not delusional that we are some kind of great team. If we manage to go 5-4, then there’s still hope we can get in with a wildcard berth and then who knows. 

I grew up in the DC area but have lived in the Philly area for the last 25 years. Look at the Phillies. All my friends who are Philly sports fans killed that team throughout the season having the 4th highest payroll and going through a rebuild. They barely get in and now have a chance to win the World Series. 

Sure it would be great to have a true franchise qb, a team that scores 30 pts a game, a punishing defense, and an owner who is respected in the league but that isn’t the case now and there’s no guarantee that will ever happen. Hell it’s been 30 years of the same ole crap.

Take the team for what it is. I for one will continue to root tor them until we are eliminated. If you can’t or aren’t willing, then go watch the Wizards or Caps who ain’t looking very good too. 

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perhaps it’s a thing with screen names ending in 93, but this @skinsfan93 guy is on a thumbs down parade, as if he took the baton from @Cooleyfan1993.

Well your handle is pretty telling isn’t it. The sky is always falling with guys like you? Nice to meet you Mr Pessimism 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think its perfectly fine to be happy and enjoy the win while also acknowledging that the team isn't that good and has a lot of work to do to become contenders.

I want success for guys like McLaurin, Allen, Payne, Heinicke, Gibson, Curl, etc. etc. We have some likable guys who play hard and care. There is nothing wrong with caring alongside with them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just a few weeks ago, general consensus was this team is trash, as is Ron and all his coordinators.  Everybody needed to be fired.

Call me crazy, but I still feel like we have the same team we had a few weeks ago.

This team per usual puts me in a tough spot, because of course I’m happy for Terry and the players who work their butts off.  They don’t deserve to lose every week.

But I can’t pretend that yesterdays game didn’t look a lot like too many games we’ve watched over the past 3 years.  Which is just generally bad football that one bad team must win. 

Exactly!

I'm happier we won than had we lost but as far as excitement goes I'll save that for when we start winning like the chiefs and bills.

Until then this is all just smoke and mirrors.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

If you can’t or aren’t willing, then go watch the Wizards or Caps who ain’t looking very good too. 

This is my favorite, when the goobers tell us what to do.  

8 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:
11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Well your handle is pretty telling isn’t it. The sky is always falling with guys like you? Nice to meet you Mr Pessimism 

You must be new here.

• Like 1

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I specifically used the word ‘goober’ in place of what I really meant in an effort to be civil and this is the thanks I get, sheesh.

Oh my apologies. Thank you sir for your civility. You my friend are a great person!

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Eh, so was the Monday Night Miracle game against the Cowboys lol...and I think in that game we had not scored a single TD yet that season until Moss' TD with 4 minutes to go. We beat the Bears the previous week by a score of 9-7 off three field goals if my memory is correct.

5 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Eh, so was the Monday Night Miracle game against the Cowboys lol...and I think in that game we had not scored a single TD yet that season until Moss' TD with 4 minutes to go. We beat the Bears the previous week by a score of 9-7 off three field goals if my memory is correct.

We were also led by Joe Gibbs, in the early days of Snyderitis.  We could still dream at that point in our fandom.  😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't want to research those post-game threads, but I've been since the beginning and remember that even after the MNM, people were still largely freaking out about this team, thinking that "OMG, this is what the offense is going to be with Scott Brunell?"

That season they had a bye right after that game and played Seattle at FedEx. They made adjustments and the offense looked like night and day from what it had been, and functioned well until David Patton got hurt in the Tampa game. After that we sputtered, although put up some good numbers to beat (destroy) the Cowboys at FedEx and then the Giants. I thought I read after the fact that Patton could've possibly have come off IR for the paloffs, but didn't. I think if we had him, we could've been more of a threat in the postseason that year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

if you actually believed "great for them" you wouldn't post things that basically translate to "oh, I'm so happy they're idiots"

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, MrJL said:

if you actually believed "great for them" you wouldn't post things that basically translate to "oh, I'm so happy they're idiots"

It sounds like you are in your feelings and for that I can’t help.

Posters that enjoy games like yesterdays make posts about Debbie downers and whatever else they refer to me as and I just keep posting, not caring about what they think.  Give it a try.

• Like 1