Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KRON: Californians would give up 5 years of life to keep eating fast food, study says

China

Californians would give up 5 years of life to keep eating fast food, study says

Doctors might tell you that eating fast food will take years off your life. For some Californians, that’s a trade-off they would take.

According to a study from Drug Genius, the average Californian would surrender five years off of their life to continue eating fast food. The number comes from a 3,222-person survey in which participants were asked hypothetically how many years they would give up to continue eating unhealthily.

There were some states that were willing to sacrifice more than five years — in Montana, North Dakota, and Hawaii, the average response was 12 years, Drug Genius said. The average answer across the country was four years.

Click on the link for the full article

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think a lot of people would. The fast five of years of your life are rarely the best day of your life

Perhaps, but using related logic, you aren't giving up the last 5 years of your life, those are going to happen no matter what. You're giving up five somewhere toward the end, and most likely you're compromising your quality of life in that same age range as well. 

No judgment though, I'm not saying I never eat fast food. 

• Like 2

The future human diet is likely comprised of whatever low fertilizer low carbon sustainable bull**** they can still produce efficiently while the water runs out.  Fortified with bug protein. 

Let us not quibble over five elderly years of life in these final years of decadence.  

Been thinking about this one, even had to re-look at what actual fast food was.

I already cook majority of what I eat, same as my wife, have for years before we even met each other and even more so now that we've been working permanent remote since COVID. 

There's always leftovers in the fridge from something meant to last all week, try to keep at least two to keep from boring ourselves.  That and having two kids under two, yea, I don't know that 100% cook what we eat would be subatainable unless we had to (we could if we had to, but by choice?)

From a time perspective, occasional exhaustion, jus wanting something different that even if I can cook would take more time and effort to get all the ingredients I don't already have then paying someone cheap to also get out of doing dishes...you see where I'm going with this?

Reading that article about some believing fast food being good for them makes me sad, but people not caring in the face of all we're up against on a daily basis and maybe, jus maybe, something like a burger and beer might help with, we aren't robots, yo.

There really should be some more effort into communicating the specifics of what's unhealthy in certain fast foods and an honest conversation on what to do about it (because jus saying its unhealthy and what can happen long-term clearly isnt working in the immediate sense for folks). And when I say that, we have to accept that eliminating fast food isn't an option, can the government legally require it to be healthier and to what extent? 

It's one of those things I imagine the government has thought about with the number of people eligible for the draft being too obese to fight, but how do you do it without violating our right to eat what we want and to the balance between healthy and tasty?  I'm not saying healthy food cant be tasty, I'm saying there's a threshold for making something that isn't healthy healthy while still staying as tasty or frankly, edible.

And what the hell is sugar-free caramel?  Don't go so far to get us away from too much sugar and fats that it gets replaced with concoctions that can be jus as if not even more dangerous. 

Final thought, didn't see any mention of life expectation in light of the number of years lost.  If you look at numbers for overall life expectancy in this country and overlap it with that when adding something like type 2 diabetes or heart disease, you aren't jus saying you're okay for losing those years, you are statistically on track for it.

Edited by Renegade7

9 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think a lot of people would. The fast five of years of your life are rarely the best day of your life

Guys like Sylvester Stalone are in their mid-70s, about average for when people with type 2 diabetes in the US die, but I don't see him looking like he complains about "quality of life".  You make a fair point, but lifestyle (including what and how much fast food) clearly has an enormous impact on that once we get past say 70 or 80. 

My father in law in rural Nigeria is not a body builder or multi-millionaire action hero, but he's almost 90 and his youngest child jus recently turned double digits in age.  Not grandchild, his own last born son.

Edit:  Wish we had a "possible vampires thread", because I know there'd be a bunch of black women on there, Lynn Whitfield is fn 69, yo

Edited by Renegade7

6 hours ago, Destino said:

The future human diet is likely comprised of whatever low fertilizer low carbon sustainable bull**** they can still produce efficiently while the water runs out.  Fortified with bug protein. 

Let us not quibble over five elderly years of life in these final years of decadence.  

Don't forget the food coloring.

A1ICN.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Destino said:

We already know what's coming.

b1e925dcd79e1415f1c1d7e3457bca60_96022d9

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...

Is this how you Sonic? Fast food employee arrested after woman says she bit into a cocaine-filled hot dog

A Sonic employee has been arrested after a customer was served a bag of cocaine with her hot dog order. 

Jeffrey David Salazar, 54, faces a felony charge for possession of a controlled substance, according to the Espanola Police Department said in a press release.

The female customer, whose name was not disclosed, went through the Sonic Drive-In in Espanola on Tuesday when the customer, ordered a 'Coney,' a hot dog topped with warm chili and melted cheddar cheese. 

After she bit into the hot dog she made the disturbing discovery that it wasn't the chili dog she was eating but a plastic bag filled with powder. She immediately called the authorities.

The woman does not believe she ingested any of the substance in her mouth, according to an incident report, the Rio Grande Sun reported.

Click on the link for the full article