Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The season is upon us which Coordinator......

Reddskins1

Which Coordinator Scott Turner or Jack Del-rio do you have more confidence in to get there side of the ball to play at a high enough level to keep the team in playoff contention through out the season and let's go on the assumption we have good health and we lose no key players... I'm not sure on which one but I'm leaning more to Scott Turner...What says You?

Scott Turner got a bunch of new pieces for the offense this off-season...i think all JDR got this off-season was fined for running his mouth. 

I'm cautiously optimistic that given the personel moves at QB, WR, and RB there's no way the O isn't on the upswing and that Turner gets to really open up the playbook. I don't know what JDR can do to cover up the struggles with LB play, other than hope the light-bulb has come on for Jamin. 

Scott Turner, and it's not even close.  I'm way more confident in the offense now than I am the defense.  Turner seems like a smart assistant, who has had absolute crap to work with for 2 years.  Now he gets a legitimate QB, with actual weapons and an above average O-Line.  If things go really well this year, there's the opportunity for Turner to become the next hot shot O-Coordinator with plentiful job opportunities.

As for Del Rio, he's worn out his welcome as quickly as he received it.  He should be under immense pressure to get his overrated D to bounce back from an extremely disappointing 2021 showing.  This defense was hyped up all last offseason, only for it to be a bottom 3rd defense at the end of the year, and the worst 3rd Down defense by far in the NFL.  They added absolutely nothing in the offseason to the defense, and they lost a couple of key guys in Settle & Ioannidis.  The D-Line severely underperformed, and the secondary is still a big question mark.  The worst unit on the team has to be the LB Corp.  Of all the positions in need of an upgrade on the team, they essentially did nothing to improve the unit.

Del Rio is going to get fired at the end of the year, when we go 8-9, and lose games by average of 34-31.  We'll probably be in a lot of shootouts this year, but our inability to cover anyone, and get to the QB will have us on the losing end of a lot of high scoring games.

Edited by samy316

I think Jack Del Rio has the more extensive resume, but I feel more confident in Scott Turner.   I am not a huge Turner fan, but I feel he is done a respectable job the past couple years given the personnel limitations.   I don't dislike Del Rio, but I thought last year's defense underachieved a bit, so I will go with Turner.

• Like 2

Its amazing the confidence in a guy who has never ever done anything.  Just because people dont like words the other guy said.  

Turner and the offense should have a better year, if they dont, he should be immediately fired with the pieces he has as they went all out for the offense.  If the defense is average or above, considering the still complete lack of LBers and a secondary who can cover, Del Rio has done his job well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Turner for sure. And I think he has better assistants as well. Masko and Zampese alone are worth a lot to that side of the ball imo. 

Hard to argue this...

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The one who has better players

Let me guess someone helped you with that reply?

3 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Its amazing the confidence in a guy who has never ever done anything.  Just because people dont like words the other guy said.  

Turner and the offense should have a better year, if they dont, he should be immediately fired with the pieces he has as they went all out for the offense.  If the defense is average or above, considering the still complete lack of LBers and a secondary who can cover, Del Rio has done his job well.

I agree that people are harder on Del Rio's results from last season than they should be. After figuring out what to do with Landon Collins, things went fairly well for them. What they'll do without Landon at all is a good question though.

Turner deserves more credit than you're giving him. Aside from maybe 5 people on the entire site, everyone agrees that Heinicke was an awful season-long starter. Before Heinicke, Turner squeezed a playoff run out of an unwanted, undrafted QB, a night-clubbing fool, and a peg leg. I'm a bigger fan of Alex Smith than most, but Turner deserves a LOT of credit for making a peg leg QB work.

Turner had the ingredients for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I don't blame him for not serving us a 3 star dinner. He *does* need to get results now though. Getting here with no weapons was bad timing for him, but bad timing or not, it's hard to wait longer than 3 years if he doesn't have some shining results.

• Like 2

What a difference a year makes, last year everyone thought del Rio was a genius and turner was worthless, this year its the opposite. 

I still think turner is unproven but has plenty of potential and with the added weapons he has now it's officially time to **** or get off the pot.

I'm not anywhere near as low in del Rio as most are.

Last year I couldn't have possibly been more disgusted with how the defense played at least for the first half of the season anyway but I still think he's a good coordinator and him and Rivera will have the defense playing well. 

7 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Turner, analytically, does a lot of things that good offenses do (meaning he shows good habits despite bottom of the league QB play). Especially his usage of motion, he’s near the top of the league and it correlates hugely with high production offenses, while making the QB’s life easier. I agree that if this offense isn’t good then he’s gotta go, this is everything he could rightly ask for. 

I haven’t seen the D do much of anything but sniff their own farts since JDR got here. In fact he’s had the unit with the most talent on the roster by far (DL) and it’s underperformed noticeably under him. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Peregrine said:

You know... these types of responses always bother me.

"Just because people don't like words the other guy said".

No. Don't assume to understand the reasons of others when we are in a thread on sharing opinions. You shape this as a fact when its the furthest thing from the truth. How about simply because the defense significantly underachieved last year under Del Rio while the offense overachieved under Turner? Or is that not a good reason because you don't deem it to be?

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Both O and D-Coordinators are going to be fair game this year. They've had two years and the D was supposed to be a strength last season. The O should be better with better QB play, but that's not even a guarantee. We don't know what Turner can do here. We know the has under-achieved. I think Rivera is safe another year... maybe two with a new QB, but his two main Coordinators will be fair game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

Both O and D-Coordinators are going to be fair game this year. They've had two years and the D was supposed to be a strength last season. The O should be better with better QB play, but that's not even a guarantee. We don't know what Turner can do here. We know the has under-achieved. I think Rivera is safe another year... maybe two with a new QB, but his two main Coordinators will be fair game.

I don't think Scott Turner is in trouble.  How could any offensive coordinator be in jeopardy of losing their job, when they've had 6 different starting QB's to work with in only 2 years?  You do realize that we're the worst team in the league with regards to the QB position, right?  How many teams can openly say that they've started 8 different QB's in 3 years?  That's an insane amount of turnover at the most important position in the league.  NO coordinator would thrive under those conditions, much less have their head above water.  Turner has to get some time to implement his system, now that he has adequate talent at the QB position and hopefully the WR position.  Turner shouldn't be scrutinized for anything that happened before this season.  This will be his first true season to be judged by how he can run an NFL offense.

Edited by samy316

4 minutes ago, samy316 said:

I don't think Scott Turner is in trouble.  How could any offensive coordinator be in jeopardy of losing their job, when they've had 6 different starting QB's to work with in only 2 years?  You do realize that we're the worst team in the league with regards to the QB position, right?  How many teams can openly say that they've started 8 different QB's in 3 years?  That's an insane amount of turnover at the most important position in the league.  NO coordinator would thrive under those conditions, much less have their head above water.  Turner has to get some time to implement his system, now that he has adequate talent at the QB position and hopefully the WR position.  Turner shouldn't be scrutinized for anything that happened before this season.  This will be his first true season to be judged by how he can run an NFL offense.

Turner's adjustments haven't been awesome, regardless who the QB is. He was saddled with some pretty lame ducks, but I do think this year is "Ok show us" in regards to him.