Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going into Training Camp what Unit.....

Reddskins1

What Unit are you most confident in as they prepare for the real games that should be the most consistent and we can count on? I'm gonna stick with my Dline despite the disappointment of last season it's the most talented and should bounce back and show and prove.. Followed up by the RB group it's very strong...How do you guys see it?

I feel confident in the IDL, but the Edge group needs to step up. When can Chase Young take practice snaps?

I feel confident in the offensive groups to all be average or better. I feel like the RB group was not as effective due to lack of depth last season, so I'm excited to see that change.

Not confident in outside corners, but am for safeties and buffalo nickel.

Definitely the offense.  I think having a legitimate starting QB will do wonders for how we look on the offensive side of the ball.  I’m least confident about the defense.  They were exposed last year, no question about it.  They were probably the most disappointing unit in the NFL, considering all the hype they were getting last offseason after finishing top 5 in total defense.  We didn’t do much at all to improve, and we lost a couple of key guys in free agency.

Im not expecting much at all from this defense.  They’re still being coached by the severely overrated Jack Del Rio, and we still have major question marks at LB.  It’s put up or shut up time for Young and Sweat.  They better ball out this year after all that talk of breaking sack records last offseason.  They have a LOT to prove, and I’m not sure they’re going to realize their potential.

Its entirely possible that we’ll be in a couple of high scoring games.  We have enough talent to score 24 PPG, and we’ll probably score 30+ often, which will seem foreign given the lack of offense we’ve seen since Cousins left DC.  I’m seeing a lot of 31-27 games, maybe 35-31 games depending on the opponent.  We’ll give up a lot of points on our end too.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 3

RBs, w/ Usain Bolt levels of daylight on the pack. The only thing that can derail my confidence in this group is injuries.

Between Gibby, McK, Robinson and a dash of Samuel, our RB core has it all.

-Speed

-Power

-Elusiveness

-Explosiveness

-Pass Catching ability

-Route Running Ability

-Pass Blocking ability

-Vision

-Cheap Cost

-Youth

-Developmental Upside

-Depth

-Proven production

That is everything you could want at the position w/ the exception of a RB that can double as a FB, but roster construction can negate that. Our core is set to be even better this year and we have more depth to boot. This is one of the best groups in the NFL.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I feel very confident in:

OL

I find this interesting.  I don't necessarily disagree, but here's what has me concerned about the OL:

- Cosmi was hurt a bunch

- Scherff is gone, and has been replaced by somebody not as good as Scherff

- Flowers is gone, and has been replaced.  I don't know if his replacement is better or not.

- Rouiller is still hurt and not practicing.

- Their best swing interior backup guy, Wes Schweitzer, also missed a good bit of time last season.

So, if Rouiller isn't ready, Schweitzer probably starts at Center, and we're REALLY REALLY thin.  

The flip side is Masko is probably the best position coach and they've earned the benefit of the doubt, so I kindof trust the unit for that reason alone.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

RBs, w/ Usain Bolt levels of daylight on the pack.

I dunno, I think the interior of the DL (or DTs) is solid and I think you vastly over-estimate the RB group.    

What's kindof unfortunate is RB is the least important position on offense now.  And we're going to be a throw-first offense.  I do hope we throw a bunch to the backs, though.  But God, we better not have a top 10 rushing attempts in the league, that would be infuriating.  

I also like the WR group, as of now.  There is an "if" but "if" Samuel is healthy, and he had been healthy in his first 4 seasons, then I think the WR group is very solid:

- Terry is a #1

- Samuel had a 77 catch, 850 yard receiving season in 2020.  Previous to that, he had 54 for 670 yards. That's not counting other contributions in the run game.  He is a legitimate weapon you can move all over the field. 

- Dotson looks like he could be a very good and early contributor.  But he's a rookie.  

That's your top 3.  Then you also have a bunch of guys for depth. I still think Brown can be a really good contributor, he was severely limited by horrendous QB play last year.  

I will concede 2 of the 3 have some form of a question: Samuel's injury last year and Dotson is a rookie.

On the RB front, Gibson is always hurt, lacks vision and has a fumbling problem. I like Gibson but I've never been a fan of the way they have used him.  McKissic missed the end of the season last year due to injury.  I think he's absolutely critical to the offense, though.  I've liked him. And then they have a rookie there too, who looks like he will be good, but same as with Dotson, it's tough to judge rookies.  

19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I find this interesting.  I don't necessarily disagree, but here's what has me concerned about the OL:

- Cosmi was hurt a bunch

- Scherff is gone, and has been replaced by somebody not as good as Scherff

- Flowers is gone, and has been replaced.  I don't know if his replacement is better or not.

- Rouiller is still hurt and not practicing.

- Their best swing interior backup guy, Wes Schweitzer, also missed a good bit of time last season.

So, if Rouiller isn't ready, Schweitzer probably starts at Center, and we're REALLY REALLY thin.  

The flip side is Masko is probably the best position coach and they've earned the benefit of the doubt, so I kindof trust the unit for that reason alone.

Yeah it all hinges on Masko for me. We’ve had a solid unit since he’s been here even when we ended up with 3rd-4th string developmental guys on the interior. I just trust him to get it done and he’s been supplied plenty of bodies with experience and potential. It’s just not something I worry actively about anymore, even with some turnover. 

9 minutes ago, Conn said:

Yeah it all hinges on Masko for me. We’ve had a solid unit since he’s been here even when we ended up with 3rd-4th string developmental guys on the interior. I just trust him to get it done and he’s been supplied plenty of bodies with experience and potential. It’s just not something I worry actively about anymore, even with some turnover. 

I'm going to continue to worry about it for the both of us, then.  

I agree about Masko, but I wonder if the magic is going to run out.  

I like Wentz, but he has limitations.  He can move and evade pressure, but he needs some help up-front also.  

Something I hope Turner does a lot more this year is move the pocket.  There are a variety of ways to do that, and I don't think he's done a very good job of that aspect of the offense. And you don't have to move the pock so much you cut off half the field.

The Manning Colts use to run a zone-stretch run play a bunch, and they would play-action off of it, which had a side effect of moving the pocket about 7 or 8 yards.  Peyton would "sprint" (slowly) to the handoff spot, and then pull the ball and stand there. He was so smooth with it, and the design of the play basically gave hi man extra second or so of protection.  

The other thing they would do off of it is at times instead of just planting and throwing from the spot of the handoff, he would loop around and go the other way, basically coming out the back door.  

Those types of things, mixed with actually handing the ball off, and straight drop-backs, really didn't let the defense get into a groove knowing where Peyton was going to be.  Because even peak Peyton had the mobility of a banana slug. 

The one defense which would consistently give that offense fits was New England with Belichick.  They had the personnel to basically maul the receivers, ignore the running game, and just pinch straight in on Peyton wherever he was.  Which blew things up.  But, Belichick is possibly the best defensive mind of the past almost half century, and those early 00's Patriot defenses were REALLY REALLY talented.  I don't remember who said it, one of the TV talking heads, but Peyton never really had a rivalry with Tom Brady, he had it with Bill Belichick, who for YEARS had his number.  Tom was Tom, but Tom didn't impact Peyton the way Bill did.  

• Like 1

Obviously there is alot of talent on this team on paper as some units have unproven talent but if we stay reasonably healthy on both sides of the ball and Wentz plays above average ball we can be very dangerous...Folks I'm so damn tired up for the season I can slap my momma.. Lol 😂 I better not do that cause I would miss the season...

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

high quality GIF

Yes Sir...

53 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Regarding all our WRs showing up, suddenly… 

what does this mean for Dax Milne?

🤣

Total aside, but I randomly saw on Twitter Milne is having some relationship drama and it looks like some random Jets equipment manager is taking shots at him for dating one of his friends’ exes?  Or something?  

My research in this matter lasted about 7 seconds, which is probably about my interest level.  But if Milne is getting into a scrap over his girlfriend with a Jets equipment manager, I’m here for it. 

EDIT:  here’s what popped up:

4730634B-30B4-4B2F-B7A8-061686A5B9E2.thumb.jpeg.ee036a141db65b0197b748a342f7fac2.jpeg48AE7427-CE94-42D0-A217-A41FF20EB530.thumb.jpeg.c705e90d986e9eed7c102b60c3b2572f.jpeg

And now it gets more interesting:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11000503/amp/Jets-quarterback-Zach-Wilsons-ex-girlfriend-claims-slept-moms-BEST-FRIEND.html

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Total aside, but I randomly saw on Twitter Milne is having some relationship drama and it looks like some random Jets equipment manager is taking shots at him for dating one of his friends’ exes?  Or something?  

My research in this matter lasted about 7 seconds, which is probably about my interest level.  But if Milne is getting into a scrap over his girlfriend with a Jets equipment manager, I’m here for it. 

Milne is supposedly dating his best friend Zach Wilson’s ex girlfriend. 

14 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm 100% confident in the air conditioning unit.

At FedEx Field?

You must be joking.

7 minutes ago, CommanderCarson said:

And that’s why the Jets equipment manager got in on it

If we play the Jets in the SB I want her as our honorary captain. :P 

13 minutes ago, CommanderCarson said:

Ah. Must explain why Zach Wilson is now hooking up with his moms best friend then 😂 

(yeah, saw that headline on FB, didn’t really care enough to open the article). 

then just saw this: 

A3C92755-909D-4D84-A9CD-F1C57FBE2D63.jpeg

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Haha 4

I feel pretty good about RB and OL.  Not 100% confident in either, but both groups have proven high-level play, the depth looks good, and I have faith in both positional coaches (particularly Matsko of course).  Both groups also have peripheral guys that can help each unit - Bates with his blocking and Samuel with his gadget play.

There are, IMO, some legitimate questions though, such as:

Will Wentz make good use of his backs?

Will Wentz hold the ball too long at times and thereby put pressure on his oline?

Will the cohesion on the line work out and how much shuffling will we see due to injury (or not being ready yet - ie Roullier)

Will Gibson fumbling issues cost the team?

I’m confident in our DTs, put have depth concerns.

I’m optimistic about just about every other position group, though I’m a little nervous about our backers, WJIII, McCain and whichever TE gets snaps with Bates.  Young and Sweat are massive wildcards…