Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Baltimore Orioles: New Owner, New Hope

DCSaints_fan

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

We met Kasie Hunt (CNN host) today. She was sitting with the owner. Buzzette was so excited, I thought she was going to kiss her.

I really, really hoped they were going to kiss.

I like her too.  She put one of my e-mail comments on screen once when she was on MSNBC.   Congrats! 

• Thanks 1

So happy the Orioles have finally transformed into a winning franchise again. I hope they win it all this season for my Dad who will turn 80 in August and born and raised in Baltimore. One thing that is perplexing to me and seems like a huge mistake is not trying to go ahead and extend Gunnar like yesterday.

4 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

One thing that is perplexing to me and seems like a huge mistake is not trying to go ahead and extend Gunnar like yesterday.

Henderson’s agent is Scott Boras. 

Boras joked at the winter meetings that the Orioles call about ‘once a day’ to extend him. 

New Ownership has been in place for like 2 months at this point. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Feisty start to the game.

I'm not sure I've seen an earlier ejection outside of the anthem stare-offs that were delaying games.

I bought tickets to see Albert Pujols play in Washington (RFK) in his early Cardinals days. He got on base in the top of the first and either got picked off or caught stealing. Argued and got tossed.

Baumann was out of options so sending him down put him out there to be claimed. So they traded him to get something. 

He was an absolute vulture last year with 10 wins as a middle reliever. 

Means to the IL stinks. I wonder if his TJ surgery stuck because this is the second soreness issue since returning. Bah. May be a ‘see you in August’ (maybe) situation. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm ready to call the Means project done and move on.

As long as he can contribute, I don't think his spot on the 40 man is really that valuable that we need to dump him.   Quality starting pitching is very difficult to find. 

We had a six man rotation, this move just means its back to the normal five.

46 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

As long as he can contribute, I don't think his spot on the 40 man is really that valuable that we need to dump him.   Quality starting pitching is very difficult to find. 

We had a six man rotation, this move just means its back to the normal five.

He's taking a spot that McDermott or Povich could be in. 

54 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

He's taking a spot that McDermott or Povich could be in. 

If you want to call up one of those guys (the only point of burning a 40-man roster spot for them), I think there's much better options than dumping Means.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2024-roster.shtml

Kaleb Ortt

Jonathan Heasley

Bruce Zimmerman was decent once, but I'm not convinced he will evolve into a legit ML pitcher at this point his caeer.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I feel better taking fliers on projects than Means who can't stay healthy.

Means could be an Alex Cobb type, who also hit injury issues at a similar point in his career, but was eventually able to turn it around.  I would hate to cut bait early on someone who has shown all-star/ace level talent.  Burnes is likely gone next year, I'd wait at least until next season to see if he can figure something out.  If he can't get healthy this year, we can 60-day IL him and call up / sign whoever we want.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Why couldn't O'Hearn have just struck out  instead of grounding into a double play ... Santander just hit a homer, would have had the bases loaded the prior inning

Edited by DCSaints_fan