Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden: 1/20/21-1/20/22; Your first year grade

88Comrade2000

11 minutes ago, clietas said:

How so? Is unemployment not at pre pandemic levels? Last I read unemployment is at 3.9% as of Dec 2021.

roughly .5% off.  But the thing is, we knew this wasn't a long term issue and would correct back to normal.  When you shut down a country, you're going to see huge increases in unemployment and when things reopen, you're going to see normal/close to rates.  It actually improved 8.3% (14.7 to 6.4%) while Trump was still in office from the point of shut down to transition and has continued to improve as things have reopened since Biden took office (6.4 to 3.9%).  This wasn't something that was unexpected - not the same situation as other times when we have seen unemployment increase.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

roughly .5% off.  But the thing is, we knew this wasn't a long term issue and would correct back to normal.  When you shut down a country, you're going to see huge increases in unemployment and when things reopen, you're going to see normal/close to rates.  It actually improved 8.3% (14.7 to 6.4%) while Trump was still in office from the point of shut down to transition and has continued to improve as things have reopened since Biden took office (6.4 to 3.9%).  This wasn't something that was unexpected - not the same situation as other times when we have seen unemployment increase.

Yes. During the trump administration most economists (that I saw) were predicting a V shaped recovery (more or less.) And that was for a reason. 

in fact the only people I recall objecting to that were the people on the left that were just looking for yet another thing to dunk on trump about. 

we can add to the list the vaccinated. 

as far as I can tell Biden has done exactly nothing remarkable, or unique, to get people vaccinated that any other president other than trump wouldn’t have done. 

And as far as I can tell he hasn’t done anything to help with the unvaccinated remainder

and while I’m not sure what he could do with them, the point is if this is an accomplishment you want to champion to the point of being angry others won’t accept it, then your list sucks and that’s the real problem. 

people in the middle might usually just roll their eyes on standard political stuff. 

but what I’m hearing and seeing are people in the middle refusing to do that this time. The sheer act if trying to pretend things are so much better now is insulting to them. They’re not rolling their eyes and shrugging it off as politics as usual - they’re angry and voting for a different person instead 

Edited by tshile

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah?

and how awesome is that making everyone feel right now?

@clietas

my point is there’s a difference between an economic indicator being “good”, and people feeling good about what’s going on. 

does it seem to you that people are happy now that Biden’s unemployment number is down?

doesn’t seem like people are happy to me. 

1 minute ago, tshile said:

as far as I can tell Biden has done exactly nothing remarkable, or unique, to get people vaccinated that any other president other than trump would have done. 

And as far as I can tell he hasn’t don’t anything to help with the unvaccinated remainder

He made the vaccine free and readily available even setting up FEMA sites to get folks vaccinated. How is it Bidens fault roughly 30% of the country refuse to get vaccinated? Because he's a Democrat and they disagree with him politically?

Honestly anyone would struggle with this. It's an impossible situation to be in. 

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think pubic health and public education have been going downhill for a long time. I think we are building a society of robots attached to technology and prescription drugs. I think all of that has been exasperated by COVID and COVID response. And that's bearing out in the mental health breakdown of our society.

I can't speak for everybody I keep my pubic health game strong. 

As for the other one, as someone who works at a State level public health agency, I see everyday that public health is woefully underfunded at the local health jurisdiction level. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, clietas said:

He made the vaccine free and readily available even setting up FEMA sites to get folks vaccinated. How is it Bidens fault roughly 30% of the country refuse to get vaccinated? Because he's a Democrat and they disagree with him politically?

Honestly anyone would struggle with this. It's an impossible situation to be in. 

I’ll renew one complaint I’ve mentioned before.  SCOTUS shot down his vaccine mandate saying it was too broad but did imply that a more targeted mandate would work.  So……where is the targeted mandate?

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And why isn’t there a targeted federal mandate?

Largely because Republicans are ****ing useless pieces of ****.

That said, the general management of this pandemic (which I understand from the inside of it) has been to leave it to the States (who pass it further down) to set rules.

I'd be curious which federal mandate would be considered targeted? Maybe tying federal funding to immunization rates? 🙂

Edited by The Evil Genius

41 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Largely because Republicans are ****ing useless pieces of ****.

That said, the general management of this pandemic (which I understand from the inside of it) has been to leave it to the States (who pass it further down) to set rules.

I'd be curious which federal mandate would be considered targeted? Maybe tying federal funding to immunization rates? 🙂

@TheGreatBuzz is talking about a more targeted OSHA mandate.   Biden admin should at least use obvious metrics like crowded places, routine interaction with the public in indoor settings, etc to mandate vaccine for certain segments of the workforce.  If it could take a bit to fine tune it, at least make it very public that they are working  on the scope of the mandate and will release it asap.  That's a pretty low hanging fruit frankly.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bearrock said:

@TheGreatBuzz is talking about a more targeted OSHA mandate.   Biden admin should at least use obvious metrics like crowded places, routine interaction with the public in indoor settings, etc to mandate vaccine for certain segments of the workforce.  If it could take a bit to fine tune it, at least make it very public that they are working  on the scope of the mandate and will release it asap.  That's a pretty low hanging fruit frankly.

I get that.  I'd say taking that route will  be challenged in court by ****face antiscience pro death Republicans and have a nil chance of standing in these conservative packed courts. 

The rollout of the mandates really has to come at the State level (because of this era of the do nothing Republican Party). To me, the only way the Fed Govt can get a national policy is by getting the States to sign on. And to do that, they need  a really big carrot. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

I get that.  I'd say taking that route will  be challenged in court by ****face antiscience pro death Republicans and have a nil chance of standing in these conservative packed courts. 

The rollout of the mandates really has to come at the State level (because of the state of this do nothing Republican Party). To me, the only way the Fed Govt can get a national policy is by getting the States to sign on. And to do that, they need  a really big carrot. 

If SCOTUS wants to strike down a perfectly reasonable narrowly drawn mandate, let them and then you fight over the aftermath.  But you can't leave it like this cause the public sentiment is "so, you're just giving up?"

As for getting all the states to buy in, I'm not sure if there's a carrot big enough to move the needle for every state in the union.  Or if there is such a carrot, I'm not sure how much of taxpayer dollars I want going to bribe the idiots into doing what should be a no brainer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clietas said:

right. Do you think bush would have made the vaccine free and ready available? Clinton? Obama? What about Romney? Or McCain? Exactly which recent presidents (or candidates) does Biden separate himself from with his actions other than trump?

Im sorry but what Biden did was necessary, and good, but also pretty standard government crisis intervention. 

to the point where I recall many of us having conversations at the time that trump would probably win re-election by doing the standard, bare minimum stuff and getting credit for defeating the pandemic despite not actually having done anything special about it himself. 

and I recall countless conversations around here, after we realized his idiocy knows no bounds,  about how we couldn’t believe how bad he ****ed it up. To the point it would likely cost him the election, when it should have made him a sure winner. 

so, now Biden has been in charge and done the standard government thing, I’m supposed to give him tons of credit for it? Cause it seems like pretty run of the mill, federal government response kind of thing.

no. 

i will absolutely admit the situation sucks. That he can only do so much. And yeah, it would be really hard for anyone yo get an A in this environment. That doesn’t mean he deserves an A. The result is not excellent. It’s just not. 

Edited by tshile

Ok so what remarkable or unique things should be done to get more people vaccinated? Cash and prize giveaways like WV was doing? More mandates?

There's no convincing the anti vaxxers imo. They're a lost cause. Hell the MAGA ones won't even listen to Trump when it comes to the vaccine. 

Edited by clietas
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, clietas said:

This is such an obviously true statement, I cannot see how anyone can disagree with it in good faith. Biden has his issues but he can't control minds. 

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The Dems have facists in their ranks. You have 2 out in the open; Joe and Kirsten.

They support the facist party and are doing everything to make sure the facists can obstruct; in their to take the country over.

Have you considered the idea that a better, good faith effort to explain how you feel *might* lead to people actually taking you seriously? 

Acting like we're stupid isn't going to do you any good. Clearly you're not an effective communicator, as you seem to split hairs any time your argument hits a wall. What's your goal, brodie? 

3 hours ago, tshile said:

Wait. 
your takeaway from that was that your portfolio says otherwise?

🤦‍♂️

No my retirement $$ has dropped substantially since the new year (or mid to late December really). Comment wasn’t clear, but was in response to the democrat sharing a gif of the stock market improvements under Biden. Just saying the timing of even that isn’t great right now. 

4 hours ago, tshile said:

I’m not impressed with her at all. In addition to having no wins, her group has leaks about her that remind me of trump… obviously her office isn’t well run or full of good people…

that said, she got some terrible assignments. They gave her immigration. Which is a huge loser. I remember when they announced that thinking: uh, I thought you were hoping she’d run in 24 at the head of the ticket…

it was almost like Biden’s people hate her and decided to give her assignments that would assure she can’t even run, much less win

i think that prior to K Harris, almost every single analysis of VPs fell into almost the exact same "shrug.. does the VP do anything?"  bucket for ALL vp-s.

what ruler did you use to judge Mondale/Bush Sr (before he was prez)/Quale/Gore/Cheney/Biden/Pence... ?

was it their outstanding "finger-gun" game?  Their ability to look stoic behind the Prez during the State of the Union?    which of these guys did better than Harris... and how did you possibly figure out that they had done so ?? 

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

i think that prior to K Harris, almost every single analysis of VPs fell into almost the exact same "shrug.. does the VP do anything?"  bucket for ALL vp-s.

what ruler did you use to judge Mondale/Bush Sr (before he was prez)/Quale/Gore/Cheney/Biden/Pence... ?

was it their outstanding "finger-gun" game?  Their ability to look stoic behind the Prez during the State of the Union?    which of these guys did better than Harris... and how did you possibly figure out that they had done so ?? 

Gore did a lot…..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice_presidency_of_Al_Gore

I think Cheney was discussed constantly during the bush years. Didn’t we all basically accuse him, jokingly or not, or actually making all the decisions? Wasn’t bush’s cabinet full of Cheney people?

didn’t Powell resign because of cheney’s influence?

I was like 4 years old when quale was vp. 

Yeah I’m not exactly sure what Biden did. 

it sounds like pence tried to keep us from launching nukes at hurricanes 

The politics podcast for npr literally just did a segment on how her whole thing isn’t going very well. This is not made up nonsense, it’s basically a consensus option at this point. 

the talking point out of her office apparently is that she wanted these terrible assignments. Which makes sense. It’s not like “he gave me awful tasks that no one can do” isn’t something to build a candidacy on.