Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP/CBS/ESPN: Joe Gibbs coming back; Gregg Williams D-Coord: Woah Woah Woah (MERGE)

SRVFan72

Originally posted by IAMBG

I am soooo giddy right now. I am not going to sleep until Joe becomes our HC again. :D

THis board is the best at keeping the Redskins love alive.

better hope he's signed quickly. if it falls through, you'll be the yin to rip van winckle's yang

Maske's as well-connected as any beat reporter of any pro team in the country. In my mind, his report made it 90% certain that Gibbs' return will become a reality.

On top of that, Wilbone's not going to write a column about it, even a heavily-qualified one, if it's not going to happen.

If there's a press conference announcing Gibbs as the new head coach tomorrow, I'll be there.

Originally posted by dchogs

better hope he's signed quickly. if it falls through, you'll be the yin to rip van winckle's yang

I feel sorry for all those that will be out and about tommorow and tommorow night. Without sleep, I plan to get so rip roaring drunk that I'll forget my name and the last 11 years.

If he doesn't sign, I'd have to still feel sorry for everyone else cuz ol BG is gonna be a tired old cranky fart of a drunk tommorow ............

Keep the articles coming. **** I can't belive this might happen. SI, Sportline, WP all have articles reporting it, while WT is reporting Jimmy Johnson (HA!). I can't wait to tell my dad the rumour, wait he might have I heart attack if I tell him right after he wakes up.

The deal for me is that the Maske is almost staking his career on the story. He has much to lose if this is a long shot or not a fairly sure thing (at least I hope). To have THE COACH come back and be the one who breaks the story is a awesome thing, to have him not come back and have your paper print it the same day it is denied would be a huge loss of credibility.

Think carefully that story is a WEDNESDAY AM story, the internet pushes it early but it will be in print tomorrow. Would hate for the Redskins to say this is not going to happen the day the story is published....

So, my twisted logic says this is fairly certain and details are in work. I would love Bruce Allen as GM (the story is on the news that he is leaving but no destination reported here on the West coast). Get a great OC, DC and bring Grimm for the line and just smartly, meticuously put together a great team. As long as the Skins are moving forward it is a good thing, I just did not want to see crappy retread of a coach, Gibbs is not one of them....

140-65-0, 4 Super Bowls, 3 Rings, I mean DAAAMMMN.......

BTW, the news is big enough that our local sports segment on the 11 PM news out here in San Jose covered it (with video of Gibbs and NASCAR). That is damn big news, hope it pans out.

Fingers and toes crossed, even on my broken leg!

Report: Gibbs considering return to Redskins

Tuesday, January 6, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(01-06) 21:17 PST WASHINGTON (AP) --

Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs could make a surprise return to the Washington Redskins.

The Washington Post, citing sources with connections to Gibbs, reported late Tuesday on its Web site that Gibbs was in serious discussions about returning to the team that he led to three Super Bowl titles.

The 63-year-old Gibbs coached the Redskins from 1981-92 before resigning to pursue a career with his own NASCAR team. He has been adamant over the years about not wanting to coach again, although he has retained NFL connections. He is currently a minority owner of the Atlanta Falcons.

The Redskins are seeking a replacement for Steve Spurrier, who resigned last week. They were known to have interviewed three candidates: former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, former Minnesota coach Dennis Green and Seattle defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes.

Calls to the Redskins and to Gibbs' racing team were not immediately returned.

A similar report also appeared on CBS Sportsline.com.

Gibbs' racing teams have been among the most successful in NASCAR with two Winston Cup championships in the last four seasons. Bobby Labonte took the title in 2000 and Tony Stewart in 2002.

Gibbs' oldest son, J.D., is president of Joe Gibbs Racing. The former coach's youngest son, Coy, finished 14th last season in the Busch Series standings.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/01/06/sports0017EST0046.DTL

Report: Gibbs pondering return to Washington

Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Former Washington Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs is reportedly in talks with the team about returning to his old position, sources close to Gibbs told the Washington Post Tuesday night.

The Redskins have been in search of a coach since Steve Spurrier resigned last week after two unsuccessful seasons. Washington owner Daniel Snyder has already interviewed three candidates -- former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, former Minnesota coach Dennis Green and Seattle defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes. Gibbs led the Redskins to titles in Super Bowls XVII, XXII and XXVI. He resigned from his coaching position prior to the 1992 campaign and entered the world of NASCAR as a team owner. He is currently a minority owner with the Atlanta Falcons, but would have to sell his shares in the organization if he came back to coaching.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10760934&BRD=1710&PAG=740&dept_id=353124&rfi=6

NFL

Notebook: Giants give Coughlin $12 million for 4 years

By The Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Tom Coughlin didn't say no to the New York Giants this time, signing a four-year contract yesterday.

The former Jacksonville Jaguars coach signed a contract worth about $12 million, vowing to bring back a brand of smash-mouth, mistake-free football that led New York to two Super Bowls under his mentor, Bill Parcells.

"It is a tremendous challenge, and I am looking forward to working with these players and re-establishing the New York Giants' tradition of physically controlling the line of scrimmage," Coughlin said. "We want to win the battle at the line of scrimmage, eliminate the disease of turnovers and control field position of special teams."

Coughlin, 57, succeeds Jim Fassel, who was fired late in a 4-12 season in which the Giants lost their final eight games.

"Tom Coughlin is the man we wanted 11 years ago, and he is the man we wanted now," general manager Ernie Accorsi said. "Aside from his family, Tom has one interest: winning."

The Giants offered Coughlin their coaching job in early 1993, after firing Ray Handley. Coughlin turned it down, saying he wanted to complete a rebuilding program he started at Boston College.

John Mara, the Giants' executive vice president, called Coughlin "the right person for this job."

A former Giants assistant under Parcells, Coughlin was 72-64 in eight seasons with the Jaguars, twice leading them to the AFC title game. He was fired after 2002, his third straight losing season.

"I am really looking forward to getting back into the competitive part of it," Coughlin said.

Center Chris Bober thought Coughlin would be a good fit after a mistake- and injury-marred season that began with Super Bowl expectations.

"I heard he likes to run a ball-control, smash-mouth style of football, and as a lineman, that's exciting," said Bober, eligible to become a free agent in March. "I hope I can be a part of it."

Coughlin was the lone candidate granted a second interview for the opening created when Fassel was fired Dec. 17. Fassel was allowed to coach the final two games.

Sources: Gibbs discusses

returning to Washington

WASHINGTON — Joe Gibbs, a Hall of Fame coach, reportedly might return to the Washington Redskins.

Sources told The Washington Post that Gibbs is in discussions about coaching the team. The paper said it could not be determined whether Gibbs would be willing to consider working for the team in a different capacity.

Gibbs, 63, coached Washington from 1981 to 1992, leading the team to Super Bowl victories after the 1982, 1987 and 1991 seasons.

Gibbs has turned over most ownership of his NASCAR teams to his sons. He owns a small share of the Atlanta Falcons, and would have to sell it in order to coach Washington.

Notes

• As the only coach to sit down with the Oakland Raiders, Dennis Green appears to be the leading candidate to replace the fired Bill Callahan.

Green, 54, also has interviewed with the Arizona Cardinals and Washington. He was 101-70 with the Minnesota Vikings before resigning late in the 2001 season.

Raiders owner Al Davis has another key job to fill. Senior assistant Bruce Allen is leaving the team, possibly to become general manager of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who say they are still in the interview process for the position. And Allen might take Mike Lombardi, director of player personnel, with him.

• Bills president Tom Donahoe has at least one more candidate to interview for Buffalo's coaching vacancy after spending most of the day with Fassel.

• Defensive coordinator Tim Lewis and wide receivers coach Ken Jackson were fired by the Pittsburgh Steelers after a 6-10 season.

• Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning, the league's co-most valuable player with Tennessee QB Steve McNair, won player of the year honors from the Maxwell Football Club in King of Prussia, Pa.

Manning received 293 first-place votes to win the Bert Bell trophy.

Kansas City's Dick Vermeil was voted coach of the year.

• "Monday Night Football" ratings on ABC this season were up 1 percent, while ESPN showed an increase of 4 percent for its Sunday-night games.

CBS, which carries AFC games, had no change in the ratings. Fox, which has the NFC, was down 2 percent, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Overall, the league's ratings and share on the four networks remained the same: a 9.5 rating and 19 share. ABC drew an 11.5 regular-season average rating and a 19 share. ESPN was at 7.7 and 12. CBS got a 9.6 and 21. Fox slipped to a 10.3 and 23.

• St. Louis receiver Isaac Bruce is expected to be at full strength for Saturday's playoff game against Carolina after missing most of the last two regular-season games with a sprained left ankle. He finished the season with 69 catches for 981 yards.

• Beyoncé Knowles will sing the national anthem before the Feb. 1 Super Bowl at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2001831199_nfl07.html

Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien

Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta

Out of this Great Sea to Middle-Earth I am come

In this place I will abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world

Someone said something about the Return of the King before, DAMN RIGHT>

Out of the great darkness to the Holy Game I am come

In this league, I will abide and my heirs unto the ending of the franchise

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends. The firing of Marty will rule the fate of many."

"Have you ever seen it, Joe, the Lombardi Trophy, glimmering like a spike of silver in the fluorescent lights. Have you ever heard the clear ringing of the bands silver trumpets, calling you home??"

To think I fell asleep about 11pm watching the NASA channel about the Mars Lander.... and I thought THAT was incredible news.

As I read this article, I imagined meeting Coach Gibbs next season at the Park. I *know* if that happened, I would probably be in tears as I thanked him for returning.

I have no doubt about 100,000 other grown men will be in tears the moment this becomes official.

The greatest thing that could come from this is that Joe could teach Dan how to create a *real* front office.

Archived