Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m not into Tom Brady being here. But I can see the logic. Maybe they like Howell but want to give him another year of seasoning and want him to sit behind Brady and learn from him for a year. 

Brady is a big name and would put asses in seats and give us an experienced veteran who is widely considered the greatest of all-time. 

So if he came here it would be hard to be against it. I don’t think he’s fallen off the cliff to the point where he isn’t still one of the better QBs in the League.

Having said that, I think he’s going to the Raiders. McDaniels + Brady for a year, plus the rumors of him going to Vegas before seems he’d go there. 

I don’t want us to lose sight of Howell, though. I think he can be our guy. And, if he flops this upcoming season as the incumbent QB1, we are in position to get a top end QB1 next April in the draft, the first true off-season for new ownership (hopefully).

Brady gives us a floor of mediocrity again. Ceiling could be higher, but is it high enough to warrant the move?

We play Howell and he’s bad we’re in Caleb Williams contention. We play Howell and he’s good we may have a franchise level guy. 

While I understand the Brady move I think it’s short sighted and jeopardizes the long term future of this franchise.

I 100% agree. I don't want to go the Brady route but I completely get why it would be a good move and I wouldn't be very optimistic about it, but I'd enjoy the ride.

I'm all in on Howell. It's why I'd like someone like Brian Johnson to be the OC. Hurts and the Eagles are a good comparison for Howell and us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I’m not into Tom Brady being here. But I can see the logic. Maybe they like Howell but want to give him another year of seasoning and want him to sit behind Brady and learn from him for a year. 

Brady is a big name and would put asses in seats and give us an experienced veteran who is widely considered the greatest of all-time. 

So if he came here it would be hard to be against it. I don’t think he’s fallen off the cliff to the point where he isn’t still one of the better QBs in the League.

Having said that, I think he’s going to the Raiders. McDaniels + Brady for a year, plus the rumors of him going to Vegas before seems he’d go there. 

I don’t want us to lose sight of Howell, though. I think he can be our guy. And, if he flops this upcoming season as the incumbent QB1, we are in position to get a top end QB1 next April in the draft, the first true off-season for new ownership (hopefully).

Brady gives us a floor of mediocrity again. Ceiling could be higher, but is it high enough to warrant the move?

We play Howell and he’s bad we’re in Caleb Williams contention. We play Howell and he’s good we may have a franchise level guy. 

While I understand the Brady move I think it’s short sighted and jeopardizes the long term future of this franchise.

Brady would be the perfect mentor for any QB so I'd like it from that standpoint.  From what i heard Brady doesn't mentor but you glean stuff organically from being around him.  i liked the story of Heinicke when he was on the practice squad of NE and wanted to impress by showing up uber early to study, arrived really early to the building and Brady was already there.

Having a star of Brady's power would be uber weird at this club.  It would be almost freakish to see happen.   I'd like it from the novelty standpoint alone -- some national relevance for a change.  

But I see like zero chance it happening unless an owner takes over fast.  No way he plays for Dan obviously. 

Judging by media reports the Raiders are all over Brady to the extent where that feels inevitable.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If a couple years ago you had said that we'd be turning our noses up at Brady for a 5th round rookie with one game under his belt, I wouldn't have believed it. :ols:

Well now are you talking we as the fanbase or we as the team. Cause  I've  never liked him as a person, at least since he was known enough to pay attention to

4 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Well now are you talking we as the fanbase or we as the team. Cause  I've  never liked him as a person, at least since he was known enough to pay attention to

I legit don't care what rage hate fantasy you've drawn up in your imagination about Brady. Like not at all. I am not even interested enough to want to laugh at it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I don’t see Brady going to Vegas just because of the McDaniels connection. Brady is an all-time competitor but you don’t think he knows how stacked the AFC is now, including that division? I gotta believe he likes his chances in the NFC right now. But who knows. That just doesn’t seem like a roster ready to give Brady his best chance to win, McDaniels stinks (though Brady may have a blind spot about that). 

I’m not saying he’s coming here either, obviously. But the Vegas speculation feels lazy. 

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

I don’t see Brady going to Vegas just because of the McDaniels connection. Brady is an all-time competitor but you don’t think he knows how stacked the AFC is now, including that division? I gotta believe he likes his chances in the NFC right now. But who knows. That just doesn’t seem like a roster ready to give Brady his best chance to win, McDaniels stinks (though Brady may have a blind spot about that). 

I’m not saying he’s coming here either, obviously. But the Vegas speculation feels lazy. 

Can't imagine where else he would go. It wouldn't shock me if Bezos came and Brady came here. He'd get to pick his OC. If we really drag our feet on the OC decision, I'd think it possible. Not a lot of stacked rosters in need of a QB and OC.

5 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Ride with Howell, and if that fails then go big in 24?

Not the worst idea. It would allow is to keep most if the roster intact. But if an opportunity arises to land a Rodgers or whoever then I think you have to pursue that as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Can't imagine where else he would go. It wouldn't shock me if Bezos came and Brady came here. He'd get to pick his OC. If we really drag our feet on the OC decision, I'd think it possible. Not a lot of stacked rosters in need of a QB and OC.

I don’t think he really cares about the OC, he’s strangely pliable to coaching it seems (he could have thrown a fit in the media about Leftwich’s incompetence and undoubtedly gotten full control of that offense, but he didn’t. Probably 15+ years of Belichick supremacy). But after his experience this season I would have to think he’ll want more say in the playcalling, but who knows. Every single time he was allowed to go up-tempo and spread teams out running things himself, he looked like HOF Brady. It was the rest of the time he was weighed down by Leftwich and his dinosaur calls that is making people (who were paying less attention) say he didn’t look like himself anymore. His arm and placement when he’s in a rhythm is exactly the same as peak Brady. 

I really don’t agree with the idea that bringing him in jeopardizes the future. I’m 100% on board with taking the leap on Howell (assuming the crazy Brady idea doesn’t happen), but how freaking bad would he have to be for us to actually be in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes? We had horrible QB play behind a bad OL for most of this season and finished .500. Even if all the lucky bounces went the opposite way, we probably wouldn’t have had a top-5 pick. We aren’t gonna tear anything down, so I don’t think we’re in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes regardless, next season. He’s not going to be attainable via trade up either, he’s a unicorn QB prospect. So we may as well try to harness this roster with the GOAT if the new owner could lure him here. Nobody has ever wanted to win more than that guy. Brady and Bezos would be an unholy alliance that could actually go all the way with this roster (if they work on the OL). 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Conn said:

Well he joined Tampa when the NFC South had Brees and a Saints team that was a juggernaut and a Falcons team that was still fairly respectable with Ryan.

Brady just doesn't seem like the type that would shy away from top notch competition if he feels he can win with the team he goes to. And Brady/Adams/Jacobs/Waller is a heck of an offensive group.

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

I don’t think he really cares about the OC, he’s strangely pliable to coaching it seems (he could have thrown a fit in the media about Leftwich’s incompetence and undoubtedly gotten full control of that offense, but he didn’t. Probably 15+ years of Belichick supremacy). But after his experience this season I would have to think he’ll want more say in the playcalling, but who knows. Every single time he was allowed to go up-tempo and spread teams out running things himself, he looked like HOF Brady. It was the rest of the time he was weighed down by Leftwich and his dinosaur calls that is making people (who were paying less attention) say he didn’t look like himself anymore. His arm and placement when he’s in a rhythm is exactly the same as peak Brady. 

I really don’t agree with the idea that bringing him in jeopardizes the future. I’m 100% on board with taking the leap on Howell (assuming the crazy Brady idea doesn’t happen), but how freaking bad would he have to be for us to actually be in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes? We had horrible QB play behind a bad OL for most of this season and finished .500. Even if all the lucky bounces went the opposite way, we probably wouldn’t have had a top-5 pick. We aren’t gonna tear anything down, so I don’t think we’re in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes regardless, next season. He’s not going to be attainable via trade up either, he’s a unicorn QB prospect. So we may as well try to harness this roster with the GOAT if the new owner could lure him here. Nobody has ever wanted to win more than that guy. Brady and Bezos would be an unholy alliance that could actually go all the way with this roster (if they work on the OL). 

Prolly right about the second paragraph. I'm definitely not Balking for Brady and like I said, I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'd enjoy it ad we definitely become a SB candidate.

The first paragraph makes sense. I don't know enough about his inner workings to guess.

• Like 1

Pre Howell's performance I was in on Carr especially if he were released instead of traded.  But for a trade i am out.  I don't think Carr is a mediocre -- Wentz clone that some here do.  I do think he's a good QB but context to me is everything -- don't want to pay big money especially if I also have to trade assets.    Man is Jay high on Carr, talked about how smart and good he is in Standig's latest podcast but he also mentioned Brissett or Dalton as mentors for Howell.

• Like 1

Carr is good. But he's in that Cousins-tier. You can win with him but if you pay him elite money you're screwing yourself.

My guess is he goes to the Jets. They're a QB away and won't care about spending money on him because they have so many good young players on rookie contracts.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Carr is good. But he's in that Cousins-tier. You can win with him but if you pay him elite money you're screwing yourself.

My guess is he goes to the Jets. They're a QB away and won't care about spending money on him because they have so many good young players on rookie contracts.

Cousins tier is about right, I'd put him a hair below but close enough.

I think we are as close as the Jets.  But in our case, I'd roll the dice on Howell and add somewhat cheaper.  In their case, I don't think they have a good roll the dice prospect at QB. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Cousins tier is about right, I'd but him a hair below but close enough.

I think we are as close as the Jets.  But in our case, I'd roll the dice on Howell and add somewhat cheaper.  In their case, I don't think they have a good roll the dice prospect at QB. 

Jets are better across the board. Their QB-ing was so bad that Heinicke would have actually  been an upgrade for them. Heck WENTZ might have been better then what they got.