Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, Kalu44 said:

I rewatched JJ at the combine and he didn’t look that great on medium and deep throws. Missed multiple throws badly. Maybe he was a little nervous. Overall, he is probably my 5th ranked QB in this class behind Penix. Not enough passes in College to properly evaluate him. Does everything adequately, but nothing jumps out as special.

According to this thread you are wrong. The pick is and always has been McCarthy.😃

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dah-Dee said:

I've seen a good amount of discussion in the last few months about how teams are not concerned very much anymore with whether a QB prospect has experience under center, and a lot of that has to do with the overlap/blending I mentioned between pro and college systems/concepts. I think the stat I saw showed NFL teams last season played out of shotgun some ridiculous percentage of the time, it was like 80-90%.

On the 3rd down stats, that's the kind of thing where I think we can pull out something equally impressive about each guy if we dig enough. It's nice to see, but doesn't really affect the evaluation a whole lot on its own.

I do think teams would like to see QBs calling protections, making audibles etc., and that's something where it's been hard to find info on any of them, other than anecdotally or just guessing by where the QB seems to be looking before the snap.  McCarthy is the only where I've seen it referenced specifically, and I think that's just been on one specific play, but I'd think if he did it once, he probably did it somewhat regularly? Just not sure how much weight front offices will give that (same as with the cold weather factor). No idea.

For sure, you can find stats that will promote any one of these guys.

I bring it up not as a definitive data point, but supporting an overall narrative which is this:

McCarthy has all the physical tools, is a strong processor and can read defenses (e,g, setting protections), and is a cut above in terms of leadership intangibles, all while playing in the biggest games against the best competition and being the youngest prospect.

And the guy making the pick is the guy who traded up to 3 for Trey Lance and then found Brock Purdy in the same draft. What do you think the lesson there is?

McCarthy is like the smart, un-sexy pick that would be the opposite of what Snyder would do. Dan would be rolling out the red carpet for Daniels a la RG3.

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Because there’s no benefit to them to make the intentions known.  

Also, I take Peter’s at his word they were meeting over the weekend to finish grades and conversions so they could come up with a final answer. 

Yeah, they probably will make the final decision tomorrow. 

I think our team will be featured Day 1 & 2; since we have 6 picks in Top 100.

1 minute ago, dunfer said:

i didnt care for that workout commercial of JJ 10 pages back. Made him look like kind of sissy...throwing up those 3 pounders

At least he didn't complain like a little biznatch about having to play golf with other people. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I never had an issue with the meditation thing. I do it sometimes and as a person who is ADHD and has also dealt with mental health challenges I know it can be very helpful.

Now a picture of yourself in your own jacket? Yeah, no. Miss me with that ****. 

I would normally agree with you about the jacket thing and it does feel a little cringe. But on the other hand a lot of guys wear their own shoes and other clothing. They try to get their “brand” out there on the market. It did look pretty bad though essentially with Penix jacket being the exact opposite 

Edited by mac8887

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

McCarthy bulked up to 219 lbs at the combine and was measured at 6' 2.5". He didn't run the 40 but did other agility drills. He threw the ball at 61 mph, second only to Joe Milton. He apparently aced his interviews.

The most important part of the QB position is arguably making the right decision time after time after time, and keeping your cool in big moments. Galvanizing your teammates, inculcating a sense of belief and earning their trust.

The kid is young and with coaching, he can hopefully refine his mechanics and improve his touch and ability to throw outside the numbers. But the arm strength is there and the mental makeup is there.

**** it, I really think the answer has been staring us in the face the whole time while we've been debating Daniels vs. Maye.

Or maybe @illone, @mac8887, and @RWJ finally got to me! 

JJ is again, 1B and I like him a lot.  Maye is my 1A. :)  I don't think Daniel is long for the NFL and that's just my opinion CapsSkins and others.  I've posted many times as to why. 

14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Now a picture of yourself in your own jacket? Yeah, no. Miss me with that ****. 

The jacket thing was very very cringe. FWIW, the story I saw on the jacket was, the Baton Rouge 'bespoke tailor' Daniels worked with actually did the lining on his own, including picking out the picture, and it was a surprise for JD5.  I guess that might explain why he looks a little ... guilty lol? ... in the picture, versus the big smile of Penix:

The Sporting News on X: "The inside of Jayden Daniels ...

Still cringe.

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

At least he didn't complain like a little biznatch about having to play golf with other people. 

We actually have no idea what Daniels said to his agent. For all we know, JD5 got a call from the agent, was asked about the visit, and said something like, 'yeah, the other guys were there, I was surprised but it was cool and we had a good time, it was a good visit.' And then idiot agent lost his mind for no good reason. Who knows. 

I think it was significant that we didn't hear from Butler after that, it was Turner and then White from EAG that cleaned things up. Butler is in timeout.

Edited by Dah-Dee

We all know where this is heading: we take a QB at #2, and it's a roller coaster ride from the get go, but it's our pick at 222 overall Sam Hartman that leads our perennial playoff team and makes GMAP look like a genius. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

We all know where this is heading: we take a QB at #2, and it's a roller coaster ride from the get go, but it's our pick at 222 overall Sam Hartman that leads our perennial playoff team and makes GMAP look like a genius. 

Ah yes.  Takes me back to Gus Frerotte.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

McCarthy is like the smart, un-sexy pick that would be the opposite of what Snyder would do. Dan would be rolling out the red carpet for Daniels a la RG3.

While I like Daniels and would be fine if he is the pick, though I’d prefer JJ, I’m so glad neither Dan nor Ron are anywhere close to this draft

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

McCarthy bulked up to 219 lbs at the combine and was measured at 6' 2.5". He didn't run the 40 but did other agility drills. He threw the ball at 61 mph, second only to Joe Milton. He apparently aced his interviews.

The most important part of the QB position is arguably making the right decision time after time after time, and keeping your cool in big moments. Galvanizing your teammates, inculcating a sense of belief and earning their trust.

The kid is young and with coaching, he can hopefully refine his mechanics and improve his touch and ability to throw outside the numbers. But the arm strength is there and the mental makeup is there.

**** it, I really think the answer has been staring us in the face the whole time while we've been debating Daniels vs. Maye.

Or maybe @illone, @mac8887, and @RWJ finally got to me! 

I will not stand for this erasure of the man who called Tom Brady and is resident QB expert. 

Me.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RWJ said:

Classic!  Who could forget?  

I remember this all to well, I was just old enough to see the Shuler bust happen and he at an age where I could understand what I was seeing, and when it looked like we might have a guy that can play, it turns out that guy was an idiot that though it be a great idea to try to run head first through a concrete wall. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, mac8887 said:

I remember this all to well, I was just old enough to see the Shuler bust happen and he at an age where I could understand what I was seeing, and when it looked like we might have a guy that can play, it turns out that guy was an idiot that though it be a great idea to try to run head first through a concrete wall. 

Rookie excitement took over.  It happens but it could have been serious.  Gus was decent.  

• Like 2