Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

This your hope trading down? 

Nah I’m still open minded although I’ve said all along that I’m struggling with a slam dunk pick at #2. Still the same at the minute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andre The Giant said:

Almost nobody knows less than this epic dbag. He’s a running joke on twitter, even among the Bears fans who used to like him for his sources that were still in the league. He’s long out of the league now and also an enormous crybaby jerkwad. One of the most blocked fake insiders on there from what I’ve seen from people 

edit: he’s repeating Wyche, and I can’t speak to Wyche’s reliability. But there are no leaks so these “beliefs” are just guesses (or JJ’s agent continuing to get his name out there lol, feels blatant this push for him to be mentioned among the top prospects now) 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

Not a rebuild is interesting as to doubilng down on that point. Considering their aggressive approach in FA.  Trading Howell. Not trading other assets, etc

it tells me 4 things as strong possibilities 

A. They are high on a QB in this draft 

B. They will aggressively address LT

C. Heavy offense in the draft

ill leave the 4th thing out to fuel speculation from @CommanderInTheRye to see if he can make further ties to this time to Sun Tzu

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

There's plenty of Maye love here. No agenda - just posting for **cough** discourse :) 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10114352-nfl-coach-shades-drake-maye-staff-will-be-fired-before-qb-reaches-potential-in-nfl

One experienced offensive assistant believes selecting North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye in the 2024 NFL draft represents a significant undertaking. "I like Maye, but when I see the amount of work it will take to have him reach his potential, we'll be fired first," the quarterbacks coach said to The Athletic's Ben Standig.

All I want to know is whether the "experienced offensive assistant" quoted above works for the Giants, Patriots or Vikings", because if he does I smell shenanigans and that would make me lean towards drafting Maye.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not a rebuild is interesting as to doubilng down on that point. Considering their aggressive approach in FA.  Trading Howell. Not trading other assets, etc

it tells me 3 things as strong possibilities 

It’s pretty much nailed on QB, LT, offense heavy draft IMO. Be lucky if offense was more than 30% of our FA activity to date. Must be the draft plan.

Im guessing he was specifically asked on Jon Allen. Strange.

• Like 1

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Is it Maye or bust for you ?

I know you're not talking to me but I love talking to you. 😛

This has been my process and it seems similar to a majority here.

At some point some weeks ago:

1. Accept Williams isn't available and we're not trading up.

2. Development a preference for either Maye or Daniels (Maye in my case) while still closely following all the other noise about other QBs getting a lot of media coverage. But also thinking I'd be hopeful and excited with either.

3. Experience a little fluctuation in the ranking  of those two or even a flip flop. For me, a couple weeks ago I started to move Daniels closer to being my pick but not getting all the way there. In the last two weeks it's not just keeping Maye as me choice, it's that I have an even stronger preference for him than at first and now somewhat more concerns with Daniels.

This seems to be the course for most here, just differing in which of the two is favored .

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

it tells me 4 things as strong possibilities 

ill leave the 4th thing out to fuel speculation from @CommanderInTheRye to see if he can make further ties to this time to Sun Tzo

"...ill leave the 4th thing out to fuel speculation from @CommanderInTheRye to see if he can make further ties to this time to Sun Tzo"

Every battle is won or lost, before it is fought.

Late Edit:

You do not fool me with this amusing distraction @Skinsinparadise I know you are keeping the sacred "4th thing" a secret until the time comes when you are permitted to reveal it to our next qb-- "the chosen one". 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

It’s pretty much nailed on QB, LT, offense heavy draft IMO. Be lucky if offense was more than 30% of our FA activity to date. Must be the draft plan.

Im guessing he was specifically asked on Jon Allen. Strange.

Yeah it feels like they are running with the same script that some of us expected including me and you as to defense on FA, offense on the draft. Though CB clearly needs to be addressed too 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I know you're not talking to me but I love talking to you. 😛

This has been my process and it seems similar to a majority here.

At some point some weeks ago:

1. Accept Williams isn't available and we're not trading up.

2. Development a preference for either Maye or Daniels (Maye in my case).

Thanks, the feeling is mutual..:ols:

With regards to :

1. I’m slowly getting there but it’s not been easy…

2. I’m not sold on either at the minute. Perhaps this week and some pro day chatter will flick that switch for me. I’d probably rather take JJ at #4 before either of those at #2.

But yes, I know, we are picking #2.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

My take away from that vid is they are picking a QB at 2 though. 

My take away from that video is peters is already getting better at coach speak.

The answer was vague and pointless as it should be and that's all you're gonna get from a good front office in our situation. 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah it feels like they are running with the same script that some of us expected including me and you as to defense on FA, offense on the draft. Though CB clearly needs to be addressed too 

Yep I see CB, maybe S as options. Not much else on defence unless a real value pick falls to us.

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

My take away from that video is peters is already getting better at coach speak.

The answer was vague and pointless as it should be and that's all you're gonna get from a good front office in our situation. 

I agree actually. He sounded better.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I actually believe him. I really don't think they've decided yet.

They are being meticulous, deliberate and calculating in everything they do. 

They're humans, so they may have leanings individually, but based on my take on how Harris specifically and Peters generally operate, I think they haven't gotten together as a group and come to a final decision yet.

That is the meeting I would pay to be a fly on the wall for.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

So JJ is the first interview at the combine, then we fly out to meet with JJ, then there are 2 reports that we like JJ. It’s either smoke or smoke screen. I hope it’s smoke. As much as I like Daniels, I like JJ just as much.

The Athletics most recent mock draft has qbs going in the first 4 picks.

Caleb's still first overall, but picks 2 through 4 have changed some...

2. Washington Commanders: Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU

The new regime, with general manager Adam Peters and head coach Dan Quinn, has remained tight-lipped about its intentions. Is there a preference among the remaining quarterbacks? Would they love a trade-down knowing the sheer volume of needs for, as one active assistant coach said, the “hands-down worst roster in the league” before Peters and Quinn arrived?

Trading Sam Howell and not taking a quarterback prospect would be curious, even with Marcus Mariota around. If scouting sources mention a tier peer with Williams, it’s the reigning Heisman Trophy winner. Daniels’ pressure-to-sack ratio is jarring, as are the hits the slender quarterback absorbs when on the move. “Jayden probably made more progress (year over year) than any QB coming out in the last five or six years,” said one high-ranking NFC scout. “He can anticipate, make all the throws and is a great athlete.”

go-deeper

GO DEEPER

Commanders move on from Sam Howell as new regime builds roster to fit its vision

3. New England Patriots: J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

There’s no such thing as draft risers and fallers outside of a handful of injury, play-time or limited exposure scenarios. That sensation is public evaluators and media members catching up to the league’s scouting departments. This year’s prime example is McCarthy, who was deemed a mid-to-late first-round selection while leading Michigan to a national championship and a 27-1 record over the past two seasons.

While acknowledging the 21-year-old isn’t ready for Week 1 action, multiple league sources prefer his intangibles over other quarterbacks in this class. Soon we’ll see if the Patriots take the needed passer or help the overall roster. “Everyone thinks New England will take a quarterback, but they’ve got a bad roster,” one NFL scout said. “They have to get better talent across the offense. I think a team trades into the top five. There seems to be a lot more urgency with these teams needing quarterbacks this year.”

4. Minnesota Vikings (from ARI*): Drake Maye, QB, UNC

Projected trade: Vikings acquire Nos. 4, 138 and 162 from Cardinals for Nos. 11, 23, 108 and a 2025 first-rounder

The draft community and many in the league view Minnesota’s recent acquisition of a second 2024 first-round pick as evidence that a bold move into the top five is coming. That’s a fair presumption, but it also implies that the Vikings are good with whichever top quarterback prospect falls to four. In this exercise, we’re saying the staff has a specific target in mind and, more importantly, feels comfortable he will be available.

Quarterbacks coach Josh McCown was on Maye’s high school staff, and the prospect with prototypical size and traits for the position seems like the better fit among the likely candidates for coach Kevin O’Connell — which means they go the extra mile to get the passer they want. The variance among league sources on Maye following a choppy final college season ranges from a longtime quarterbacks coach/offensive assistant saying, “I like Maye, but when I see the amount of work it will take to have him reach his potential, we’ll be fired first” to a scout’s praise, “he’ll be the best of the group.”

go-deeper

GO DEEPER

Drake Maye's connection to QB coach Josh McCown adds intrigue to Vikings' draft plans

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Adam Schefter didn’t bat an eye when JJ’s name was spoken. No expression, that’s interesting. Maybe he is hearing the same thing. 

Edited by Kalu44
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

So JJ is the first interview at the combine, then we fly out to meet with JJ, then there are 2 reports that we like JJ. It’s either smoke or smoke screen. I hope it’s smoke. As much as I like Daniels, I like JJ just as much.

In all my years following the draft Ive never heard its significant as to which player is interviewed first.

They are traveling to see all these QBs I bet Nix and Penix too 

• Like 1

My best guess:

Vikings trade down to #4. Then depending on which QB is available at #3, they either stay put or try and move up one more spot with New England. I could see them trading twice, selecting Jayden at #3, then Patriots take JJ at #4. So, Williams, Maye, Jayden and JJ (in that order).

Edited by Kalu44

3 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I'm starting to think that it's becoming more likely that our next qb's name will begin with the letter "J".

JaMarcus Mariotta?

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So we got three differrnt narratives ftom insiders saying their intel is Peters wants Maye, another saying Daniels and another saying McCarthy 

Does not surprise me in the least us allegedly being interested in McCarthy - who'd I also take in lieu of Maye and I know how small sized a pool that is.