Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

You seem to live in a complete fantasy world. The idea that QBs nowadays just take control from their OCs and systems and just sort of run around making **** up is the height of stupidity, yet you seem insistent on repeating it as if it's fact. The vast majority of the time these QBs are absolutely 100% playing within the system and their standard reads. That includes guys like Rodgers and even Mahomes.

Sure, they break the pocket when pressured and plays break down and then can improvise really well, but the idea that they just wing it constantly it nonsensical considering how incredibly complex NFL defenses are and how incredibly intricate and well designed NFL offensive systems are.

I understand your viewpoint, but let's not dismiss the reality that quarterbacks like Rodgers and Mahomes have shown an increasing inclination towards improvisation, which has impacted their adherence to the system over the years. While they still primarily operate within the system and make standard reads, their improvisational abilities have allowed them to break away from the prescribed playbook in certain situations, particularly when plays break down.

It's not about constantly winging it, but recognizing the evolution of quarterback play in response to the demands of modern NFL defenses.

Do you think the quarterback position is played similarly to 30 years ago? Was off-platform throw ability a commonly discussed term and key trait 20 years ago? Was the ability to play off schedule considered a prerequisite for incoming quarterbacks 20 years ago?

Evolve, knucklehead!

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

When’s the JJ Pro Day up and running, any times on that ?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/jj-mccarthy-pro-day-live-updates-highlights-michigan/9e1a61e725119892216bed89

J.J. McCarthy pro day results: Highlights from Michigan's 2024 NFL Draft workouts

Also: 

Edit: Saw a social media post indicating 150 NFL personnel expected to be there, a record for any pro day.  The Vikings and Giants GMs and HCs apparently did not attend, however. Weird given the smoke/leaks.

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Thanks 2

I will be an absolute baby and complain constantly if we draft Daniels and when he gets injured almost immediately, I will act like the sorest winner on the board (even though I won't be, because we'll lose) and constantly remind everyone that I was right about not drafting a cigarette sized QB who threw to wide open receivers with ease.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

It's over. Barely anyone has talked about it so no real info

Thanks, after all the commotion from the Williams one I thought we’d see more in here….

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I understand your viewpoint, but let's not dismiss the reality that quarterbacks like Rodgers and Mahomes have shown an increasing inclination towards improvisation, which has impacted their adherence to the system over the years. While they still primarily operate within the system and make standard reads, their improvisational abilities have allowed them to break away from the prescribed playbook in certain situations, particularly when plays break down.

It's not about constantly winging it, but recognizing the evolution of quarterback play in response to the demands of modern NFL defenses.

Do you think the quarterback position is played similarly to 30 years ago? Was off-platform throw ability a commonly discussed term and key trait 20 years ago? Was the ability to play off schedule considered a prerequisite for incoming quarterbacks 20 years ago?

Evolve, knucklehead!

Sure, QBs nowadays tend to be more athletic and are more adept at making off-schedule plays when things break down. But you take it to an extreme. Again, the vast majority is still within the system. Just because guys can make more plays outside the pocket doesn't mean they're just making **** up and winging it.

So you're creating a false choice. "Do you think the position is played like it was 30 years ago?" vs "QBs just do whatever they want now...oh and they all have to run 4.3 40s because I said so...even though no QBs run that fast outside of Lamar"

So your "Evolve, knucklehead" is......well, it's just  a dumb statement. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sure, QBs nowadays tend to be more athletic and are more adept at making off-schedule plays when things break down. But you take it to an extreme. Again, the vast majority is still within the system. Just because guys can make more plays outside the pocket doesn't mean they're just making **** up and winging it.

The better your quarterback is at improvisation, winging it, and making off-schedule plays after the initial play call fails, the better chance your team has at winning games. Many of these improvised plays are exactly that—making things up and winging it. Defensive coordinators have expressed concerns about these improvisational situations being the most worrisome for them.

So you're creating a false choice. "Do you think the position is played like it was 30 years ago?" vs "QBs just do whatever they want now...oh and they all have to run 4.3 40s because I said so...even though no QBs run that fast outside of Lamar"

I was simply highlighting the fact that quarterbacks now approach the position from a significantly different perspective compared to 10, 20, or 30 years ago, and offensive coordinators and head coaches have relinquished a considerable amount of control relative to the past.

While having a 4.3 speed can certainly contribute to winning two MVP awards, it's not a necessity. I personally appreciate elite runners at the quarterback position and fully recognize the associated limitations and risks involved.

I believe Sam Howell is an elite runner, and I probably possess a similar level of speed as him. I think it was a mistake not to heavily lean on this ability to aid in his growth—it was a missed opportunity. It's not just about top-end speed, but also the overall running traits that I appreciate.

I champion this style of QB, but in no way saying it’s the only way to do it. 

So your "Evolve, knucklehead" is......well, it's just  a dumb statement. 

My apologies. 

11 minutes ago, illone said:

Qbs go off script occasionally, but the ones that continually do it dont last long.

Ask Johnny Manziel how that worked out for him...

And I'll add, engaging in drugs, drinking, partying the night before games, or missing practice or playbook study doesn't contribute positively either lol 

However, I agree that running ability alone isn't sufficient. Quarterbacks must also be able to provide rhythm and patterns throughout the flow of a game, navigating through chaos and adapting to unknown variables. Fortunately, effectively running the football as a team contributes immensely to overall success. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

And I'll add, engaging in drugs, drinking, partying the night before games, or missing practice or playbook study doesn't contribute positively either lol 

However, I agree that running ability alone isn't sufficient. Quarterbacks must also be able to provide rhythm and patterns throughout the flow of a game, navigating through chaos and adapting to unknown variables. Fortunately, effectively running the football as a team contributes immensely to overall success. 

You could also add that he didn't study, AT ALL, which probably contributed to his (in)ability to grasp the playbook. He probably had no idea wtf the play was so he just ran around lol.

But yea, the drugs certainly didnt help either. 

I've heard of other guys going off script, but it's kinda rare.

I think I heard Andy Reid mention a time or two that Mahomes made him look good on a bad play call, but even Mahomes runs the script despite the backyard style.

• Like 1

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nfl-ncaa-news-nfl-draft-rumor-washington-commanders-owner-josh-harris-to-favor-jj-mccarthy-for-second-overall-pick-after-wednesday-dinner/

2024 NFL Draft Rumor: Washington Commanders Owner Josh Harris to Favor JJ McCarthy for Second Overall Pick After Wednesday Dinner

Article based on tweet from that inside scoop scion, the one and only... BallsackSports:

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dah-Dee said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/jj-mccarthy-pro-day-live-updates-highlights-michigan/9e1a61e725119892216bed89

J.J. McCarthy pro day results: Highlights from Michigan's 2024 NFL Draft workouts

Also: 

Edit: Saw a social media post indicating 150 NFL personnel expected to be there, a record for any pro day.  The Vikings and Giants GMs and HCs apparently did not attend, however. Weird given the smoke/leaks.

The **** is up with his outfit? :ols:

• Haha 4

Just now, mistertim said:

The **** is up with his outfit? :ols:

Looks to me like JJ's agents/etc are already way down the branding road, his outfit looks to be based on that smiley sticker he wears on his hand for every game.  Watch for juicebox and animal cracker deals next.

5 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nfl-ncaa-news-nfl-draft-rumor-washington-commanders-owner-josh-harris-to-favor-jj-mccarthy-for-second-overall-pick-after-wednesday-dinner/

2024 NFL Draft Rumor: Washington Commanders Owner Josh Harris to Favor JJ McCarthy for Second Overall Pick After Wednesday Dinner

Article based on tweet from that inside scoop scion, the one and only... BallsackSports:

Well, ****. If Ballsack Sports says it, then it must be true. And Harris ain't gonna interfere like that. Straight up clickbait. 

• Haha 2

JJ >>> Maye at this stage…

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Meh. I mostly ignore pro days, unless the guy really sucks. It's all completely scripted, practiced, and with familiar receivers.

Should have  been here a couple of days back for the Williams one, busy old day that one :ols:

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Right there with you, but my preference is the reverse. 

No matter who's selected we should end up with an elite talent. 

Or they are all busts so it doesn’t matter who we waste the pick on! 😂 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

We have 33 more days of this.

Lord help us.

What's next?  

According to FIFA Weekly, Marvin Harrison Jr. will forgo the NFL draft to instead play goalkeeper for the US National team.  

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I love the JaMarcus Russell story were coaches were convinced he wasn't watching the cut up tapes they sent him home with (this before the days of tablets when coaches can check you at least had the footage on!). So they sent him home with a set of blank tapes. Came in next day and was asked did he watch them and what he got from it - and he bull****ted about how useful they had been and really helped blah blah. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Evolve, knucklehead!

Your posts confuse me because it’s Maye whose off-platform improvisation in (and out of) the pocket reminds some of Mahomes and Rodgers. Not Daniels. That isn’t his game, he doesn’t as a rule extend the play behind the LOS and make magic happen downfield, that’s Maye. Daniels runs. Not as a last resort after waiting to see if he can shake anyone open by evading the pass rush behind the LOS—but as a primary plan B after his initial reads, regardless of who is breaking open or not. You’re advocating for Maye’s skillset here and don’t seem to realize it. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 6