Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, method man said:

Ask yourself this: given the types of players Peters has brought in so far, does Caleb fit from an attitude/mindset standpoint given what is known about him?

Sure. He's an emotional guy and has some Gen Z sensibilities about him. But he wont' have to command the entire locker room from day 1 (same goes for Maye/Daniels/whomever we bring in). We've brought in a bunch of great leaders who can help the rookie QB grow into that role.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, method man said:

Ask yourself this: given the types of players Peters has brought in so far, does Caleb fit from an attitude/mindset standpoint given what is known about him?

Explore nope GIFs

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If there were a clear answer and a clear advantage to him lying, then you should be able to rationalize your own opinion on the matter, not mine. But it seems you can't.

Erm…ok…

6 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

Are you ok with running with Mariota as our starter for the year? Because many signs are pointing to Maye needing to sit for a while before he’s ready to play, whereas Williams/Daniels have been viewed as much more “pro-ready”. Without howell now, trotting out mariota is probably where this would be headed if we took maye. Maybe maye blows everyone away in camp but I don’t think Peters is inclined on taking that chance/keen on having mariota as anything but a backup mentor

I think this is a false narrative pushed by Orlovsky and a few others who are trying to be interesting and generate conversation rather than being right.

Maye’s footwork can be a little sloppy at times.  But it’s not like he’s tripping over his feet every time he drops back.

He makes NFL throws on time and on rhythm at a higher percentage than Daniels.  

He actually has played in the same offense which Kliff Kingsbury grew up in, so he might have a head start, to some extent, on the offensive terminology.

People like Mel (who should be in the HOf as a contributor), orlovsky, that idiot Thor Nystrom, are wrong 90% of the time.  But nobody really calls them on it.

Nystrom said he was sure the league messed up by passing on Malik Willis.  Mel was in the bag for Jimmy Clausen.  Hell, the entire draft exploded because he got into a fight with Bill Tobin over the fact Trent freaking Dilfer was a can’t miss prospect.

None of these guys are paid to be right.  They’re paid to be entertaining. 

And I don’t believe for a second this idiotic narrative Maye isn’t ready to play.  

All three, Williams, Daniels and Maye will be day 1 starters. 

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Why does Caleb need to lie? It won't impact his draft status at all. He'll still be picked #1 by whoever were to finalize a trade for him. It certainly isn't something that's going to make him look good.

What exactly do you think his specific end goal in lying about it many times?

This is an easy one: to avoid creating public swirl and allow things to play out behind the scenes. No benefit to going public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

It’s funny you say that cause (I admit I’m a YouTube Podcast listening fan) and lately everyone I’ve watched says how Maye isn’t ready and needs time to sit bluh bluh… I kinda wonder if they’re just riding other coat tails of this opinion or they’re making it on their own… today it was Chase Daniel on his Podcast with Trey Wingo and he said Maye isn’t ready by what he saw and has heard…

It seems to be more based on groupthink than pointing to specifics. I've seen people say because of his footwork, but I think that's vastly overstating the issue. Maye has good footwork in general but it does have a tendency to get sloppy at times, especially when pressured and on short drops when he may just get lazy and try to arm it.

But get who else has those issues? Almost every single other QB coming out of college and into the NFL. It's nothing new and it isn't some insane hurdle to get over.

To balance that out, Maye has demonstrated a consistent ability and willingness to make NFL 2nd level, tight window, and anticipation throws, which will help him in his transition. Daniels has cleaner footwork but doesn't have anywhere near the tape that Maye does when it comes to those kinds of throws that will be expected a lot in the NFL.

So IMO it kind of balances out.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

This is an easy one: to avoid creating public swirl and allow things to play out behind the scenes. No benefit to going public.

Yes pretty obvious really isn’t it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Gone are the days where you draft a QB to sit. That might happen, but it is rare. 

Rookie contracts are too valuable to waste a high pick sitting. 

If we draft a QB at #2, they’re gonna start. 

Yep Mariota basically said he’s here to mentor and back-up a rookie.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

So now Caleb Williams, who has spent plenty of time saying or doing things in public that could be controversial and turn heads.......suddenly is super sensitive to a public swirl caused by him being honest and saying he doesn't want to play for a certain team?

Doesn't track, because there's still no advantage to him in lying.

Just now, RWJ said:

If Peters and Co. truly want CW, then a trade for the #1 overall will happen sooner rather than later.  JMO.  It won't happen on draft night.  

USC pro day on the 20th March. All about checking the medical records. Yep it would be long before the draft.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, mistertim said:

So now Caleb Williams, who has spent plenty of time saying or doing things in public that could be controversial and turn heads.......suddenly is super sensitive to a public swirl caused by him being honest and saying he doesn't want to play for a certain team?

If he sees himself getting what he wants, he will not do anything to rock the boat and disrupt that.

My experience in business is that talking to the press rarely works out to your advantage. If you have to speak, keep it totally boilerplate and uncontroversial. Do not disrupt a deal process that is trending the way you want 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

If Peters and Co. truly want CW, then a trade for the #1 overall will happen sooner rather than later.  JMO.  It won't happen on draft night.  

After his pro day we will know what chicago and other teams plan to do.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It's also possible that Caleb is fine with Chicago but prefers Washington. In that case, why publicly poison the well with Chicago if the DC thing doesn't pan out? Smart to keep all options on the table.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

If he sees himself getting what he wants, he will not do anything to rock the boat and disrupt that.

My experience in business is that talking to the press rarely works out to your advantage. If you have to speak, keep it totally boilerplate and uncontroversial. Do not disrupt a deal process that is trending the way you want 

He’s even kept an agent out of the ensuing **** storm.

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

After his pro day we will know what chicago and other teams plan to do.

We'll have a better read but I don't necessarily think we will know.  Know what I mean?  :)  

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

It's also possible that Caleb is fine with Chicago but prefers Washington. In that case, why publicly poison the well with Chicago if the DC thing doesn't pan out? Smart to keep all options on the table.

See, this I could buy. If he would prefer to play in Washington but would be ok with Chicago, then yeah just go with it.

But if he absolutely won't play for the Bears then it would make more sense for him to say it now. Because the real drama ****show would be if he drops that grenade on draft day, or right before, because he's going to have to drop it eventually. It would cause much less drama if he just said so now and then let the teams hash it out well before the draft.

Maybe he just loves drama and attention?

Just now, mistertim said:

See, this I could buy. If he would prefer to play in Washington but would be ok with Chicago, then yeah just go with it.

But if he absolutely won't play for the Bears then it would make more sense for him to say it now. Because the real drama ****show would be if he drops that grenade on draft day, or right before, because he's going to have to drop it eventually. It would cause much less drama if he just said so now and then let the teams hash it out well before the draft.

Maybe he just loves drama and attention?

I don't think he hates Chicago as a destination... there's enough there to be excited about. I just feel he'd probably prefer DC if he had his druthers. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I reckon Caleb ends up at the team HE wants to play for. 

Not necessarily.  If the team he wants to play for isn’t interested in him; doesn’t matter what he does to try to get to that team. 

If that team doesn’t draft him, then he’s **** out of luck.

I think all the red flags and the fact he will be or his father will be a pain in the ass; will give team pause.

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

Not necessarily.  If the team he wants to play for isn’t interested in him; doesn’t matter what he does to try to get to that team. 

If that team doesn’t draft him, then he’s **** out of luck.

I think all the red flags and the fact he will be or his father will be a pain in the ass; will give team pause.

I disagree. 

• Like 1