Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

I don't plan on moving from this area anytime soon; this is not my first round on this board. I'll be here for your enjoyment. 😎

Purely out of curiosity, what / who caused you to leave the first time?

Was it KB? We have had several complaints about him lately.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

This whole idea of Maye having horrible footwork is somewhat overblown IMO

I think it is a legit concern. When his footwork is sloppy he is not accurate. When it is solid he is incredible. Maye is my number 2 by a quite a lot. But there is nothing wrong with pointing out the things the guy is going to need to be coached up on. All of these guys are projects to some extent. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

I don't know if Orlovsky is qualified to talk about QB or not, but his take on Drake Maye is that he needs to sit for a year or two to clean up his sloppy footwork. Kinda mitigates the age difference if you have to wait until Maye is 23-24 to start him.

Also this. And he's watched all of their snaps for the big three.

Nobody's sitting Maye for a year or two. Nobody. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Purely out of curiosity, what / who caused you to leave the first time?

Was it KB? We have had several complaints about him lately.

This area is where I lay my head but home is always home. The Drew/Sean era kinda took my attention away. Now that they're gone along with a new regime here, I figured I would return. I watched from afar and hoped Ron could do something, but oh well. I'm not as excited as some folks with Quinn ( I assumed it would be Johnson and my familiarity with NFC south clouds my view) but we'll see how things go. 

26 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Thought he was talking about 50% of the players in the Premier League at first.

gb4w13k.gif

Does it tell you how much of a soccer sicko I am that I know who both those players are and their clubs and national teams, despite never having seen that gif before? 

Tim Cahill, Australian, playing for Everton

Rio Ferdinand, English, playing for Manchester United. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

Does it tell you how much of a soccer sicko I am that I know who both those players are and their clubs and national teams, despite never having seen that gif before? 

Very impressive! Most would think at first glance Gary Cahill....also wore a similar blue with Chelsea. Gary would have got up and punched Rio though. lol

21 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yes. 100%. I would rather have Sam over Fields as well. And that is why we ARE going to draft a QB at 2. It is time to take a swing at a blue chip QB in the draft. Have to do it when you have the ability to do it without wasting any draft capital to do it. 

Have to do it when you do need to waste draft capital too, that's which Oakland, NYG and Minny and probably other teams are still in a back room, sweating over how much is finally, too much, in a trade up to 1 or 3 or whatever. 

If you don't have a franchise QB, you have nothing. Period. It is always worth trading draft capital to go after guys, the question is, how much, and for what kind of guys.

Since 2012, I would have done it for Winston, and lost, for Burrow and won, for Lawrence and....erm, and I'd do it now for Williams, and Maye, I'm not sure I'd do it for Daniels, but if it was cheaper, I would. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Have to do it when you do need to waste draft capital too, that's which Oakland, NYG and Minny and probably other teams are still in a back room, sweating over how much is finally, too much, in a trade up to 1 or 3 or whatever. 

If you don't have a franchise QB, you have nothing. Period. It is always worth trading draft capital to go after guys, the question is, how much, and for what kind of guys.

Since 2012, I would have done it for Winston, and lost, for Burrow and won, for Lawrence and....erm, and I'd do it now for Williams, and Maye, I'm not sure I'd do it for Daniels, but if it was cheaper, I would. 

Lawrence kind of has me baffled, admittedly haven't watched him a ton but would be curious as to others takes on him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Lawrence kind of has me baffled, admittedly haven't watched him a ton but would be curious as to others takes on him.

Lawrence was a beast in 2022. He was playing well last year and had the Jags at 8-4 before he got hurt and tried to play through it and fell apart.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Lawrence was a beast in 2022. He was playing well last year and had the Jags at 8-4 before he got hurt and tried to play through it and fell apart.

You think it was mostly injury related? 

34 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

I don't plan on moving from this area anytime soon; this is not my first round on this board. I'll be here for your enjoyment. 😎

So you've had a previous account. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

You think it was mostly injury related? 

Pretty much. He clearly got hurt in the MNF game against Cincy. He should have sat but instead he kept playing and was completely ineffective.

Organizational malpractice.

• Like 1

I mistakenly left out a great Drake Maye quote from the weekend, and it’s one that I think really summed up our conversation. I’d asked him directly about what I’d heard—that his intensity wasn’t something NFL folks expected when they were meeting.

“Youngest of four boys, growing up for us, we’re a strong, Christian-based family, we’ve got some Southern charm, a little bit of a country drawl in us,” Maye says. “But at the end of the day, when it gets in between the lines, the motto is to go kick somebody’s ass. That’s what my parents always instilled in us. … Being the runt of the family, the youngest of four boys, kind of getting pushed around and beat up a little bit, I think my three older brothers definitely have it, but it comes out of me the most because I had to deal with it growing up.

“My parents, they say yes sir and yes ma’am and give off that Southern charm. But at the end of the day, go compete and be the winner, come out first, come out the winner.”

So, yeah, he was to the point.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/05/2024-nfl-free-agency-saquon-barkley-running-backs-draft

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

But at the end of the day, when it gets in between the lines, the motto is to go kick somebody’s ass.

Kid is a killer. Draft him and we're gonna run the East for the next decade.

And I thought I was bad with my love for Williams :ols:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure whether to believe this or not. Based on the fact that I've twice heard Kiem say that Daniels was not a good fit for the NFL unless he changes his style of play, it doesn't exactly surprise me that Peters might have said those things at one time though. I did notice that when Daniels made his comments about the Commanders being cool at the combine last week, Peters wasn't one of the names he mentioned.

That could mean nothing though. The only reason I give this report any credibility at all is because like I said, I have twice heard Kiem personally make those same kind of comments attributed to Peters.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I expect Maye to be up and down. He's gonna have games where he lights it up, and he's gonna have games where he pushes his luck and ends up throwing 3 picks. Ideally, we see growth and improvement from the first half of the season to the second but QB growth isn't often linear. 

My dream scenario is that by November ish he's humming and we lose a bunch of close hard fought shootouts so we're optimistic about the future of our QB while also landing another high pick to add another blue chip talent.

Because he sucks and honestly I don't see him as being a good vet mentor type. And as someone else mentioned, you'd have to run a completely different offense with a guy like Wilson compared to Maye so the benefit of the rook sitting and learning is lessened.

So, kinda like what happened w Sam Howell, in 2023?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

He played injured a lot this season. 

He probably isnt as good as he was projected to be but not by to much. He is still relatively young and can still get better. He has a few years before his body starts to degrade.

he has shown he can lead a team to the playoffs in a much tougher conference than ours.

If he was our qb, he’d be the best, not only in the division but in the entire conference. Just goes to show how stacked the AFC is with the top QBs.

He is never going to be on Mahomes level, but will more than likely always be a top 15 guy, with some years better than others.

He will keep his teams at the very minimum competing for the playoffs year in and year out, and, with enough breaks going his way, talent around him, and luck, he might even get a Super Bowl victory by the end of his career.

He is a true, franchise qb, and I doubt you could offer enough draft capital to Jacksonville to pry him away from them.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Very impressive! Most would think at first glance Gary Cahill....also wore a similar blue with Chelsea. Gary would have got up and punched Rio though. lol

Sad but true, USMNT and Yanks Abroad fandom supplanted Redskins fandom for me over the past 23 years (probably fantasy football and Dynasty as well). Unthinkable 35 years ago, but here we are, 30 years of pummeling does damage, and other than the horror of Couva and '18 qualification, USMNT fandom has been far more rewarding than Redskins fandom since Gibbs I ended. I'd like to think that with Snyder gone, my fandom will come back fully, but I'm not naive enough to assume that I didn't sustain permanent damage to my Redskins/WFT fandom the past 30 years+. I just consider it a win that I have hope now. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

But at the end of the day, when it gets in between the lines, the motto is to go kick somebody’s ass.

Kid is a killer. Draft him and we're gonna run the East for the next decade.

I think more, '26-'36 :). We're gonna suck for a bit too, even if we do everything right (I know some think a Texans style turnaround is possible, I don't). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

Tim Cahill might be slightly random for the very casual (or recent) soccer fan but he played for a long time in the Prem. Good player. But Rio Ferdinand was/is a legit star. He messed up leaving Leeds United but his career just about survived that misstep ...

(He actually got out just before Leeds - the team I support - imploded financially and won a boat load of titles with the hated Man U. To give that context imagine Terry McLaurin signing for Dallas and winning 4 Super Bowl titles with them).

18 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

He played injured a lot this season. 

He probably isnt as good as he was projected to be but not by to much. He is still relatively young and can still get better. He has a few years before his body starts to degrade.

he has shown he can lead a team to the playoffs in a much tougher conference than ours.

If he was our qb, he’d be the best, not only in the division but in the entire conference. Just goes to show how stacked the AFC is with the top QBs.

He is never going to be on Mahomes level, but will more than likely always be a top 15 guy, with some years better than others.

He will keep his teams at the very minimum competing for the playoffs year in and year out, and, with enough breaks going his way, talent around him, and luck, he might even get a Super Bowl victory by the end of his career.

He is a true, franchise qb, and I doubt you could offer enough draft capital to Jacksonville to pry him away from them.

QBR wise, he was 28th, 17th, 17th, counting stats wise, he was awful as a rook, inside the top 10 as a 2nd year guy and then fell back to mediocre in '23. I think the injury thing in '23 tells a big story, a big part of '23, but it is kinda funny, a bit reminiscent of how things have gone for Fields. I had assumed with Christian Kirk in place, and a healthy Etienne he'd blow up this year, but it didn't happen, was it injury or something else? I'm not sure. 

Im not as sold as you are in how good he'd be in the NFC, yes, just like 1983, the AFC has grabbed the best of the QB's to come out since '17, and so has an inherently more competitive, more difficult conference wide qualities, but Lawrence was hidden until '23 in the worst of the divisions. Now with Stroud and Richardson landing in the South, its gonna get much harder. In the NFC, I don't know if he'd dominate, because lets be clear. He hasn't been good, really, ever since college. He's been above average to average (in '22), a bit below average in '23, and outright poor as a rookie in '21. He's not gonna suddenly dominate because the NFC is QB lacking, the NFC still has some great defenses and offenses, the Chiefs barely won and probably should have lost the last two super bowls, the Bengals lost the one previous to that. 

I just didn't see this coming. I had him as just a smidge below Luck in terms of upside, but he hasn't been, at all, I liked him better than Burrow as well, and Herbert pretty easily. This QB thing is hard as hell to figure. 

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Tim Cahill might be slightly random for the very casual (or recent) soccer fan but he played for a long time in the Prem. Good player. But Rio Ferdinand was/is a legit star. He messed up leaving Leeds United but his career just about survived that misstep ...

(He actually got out just before Leeds - the team I support - imploded financially and won a boat load of titles with the hated Man U. To give that context imagine Terry McLaurin signing for Dallas and winning 4 Super Bowl titles with them).

I don't think many people remember Cahill that weren't fans of the Socceroos, or Everton. Cahill was a good, solid grinder, played in several WC's, but a relatively anonymous EPL squad (though I like him), but Ferdinand was a stud, Manchester United and a key part of which teams for England? I guess '02-'14 or something like that? Cahill is definitely more obscure though, kind of like Australia's Clint Dempsey, in terms of toughness, and big game finishing, if not style of play. 

28 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

So, kinda like what happened w Sam Howell, in 2023?

Nah, the team quit on Howell and the season in November of '23, and the team totally imploded the last two months (apparently it started with that Thursday Night horror show against the Bears, but they still competed for a good month or more after that, it was only in the lead up to, and after the Cowboys game where they had 2 game plans every sunday: 1. Quit or 2. Choke, late. 

I still believe Howell was pretty good last year, and was basically hosed by his coaches, his OL and some of his teammates giving up, I still think he can be good to average (topping out a top 10-15 QB), but that isn't good enough to pass on a QB when we lucked into slot 2 in what for me is a 3 stud class, w/two top end, really really big time studs. 

• Like 2

I’m not sure why the debate is so hard. Even if Daniels is more talented than Maye (debatable), he simply won’t survive in the NFL with that frame and his penchant for running. One big hit and that could end his season. I don’t want to hold my breath every time he gets hit.  I’d rather Maye, as he has a better chance of staying healthy in the long run.

You can’t help your team while being on IR.