Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, KDawg said:

Not great for Ron, either. If Howell plays well the question becomes “why wasn’t he playing earlier?!”

If he stinks the question is: “why did we waste a pick on this guy?!”

They have mismanaged this big time.

It all stems from the needing to "win". Win being in quotes because its just about the next game. Not any broader goal or plan. 

8 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Why would Taylor be pissed ? He knew he would be playing behind the same line and coaches for starters, and he has a better mental understanding then Wentz. They played on the same terms, and you saw the results playing against a team with nothing to gain.

I answered this twice - so this is last time for all you hivers out there - if TH is pissed at the staff to the point of looking for some kind of revenge for being benched he is a ****ing cry baby. For the record I do NOT think he is pissed to that extent. I believe this is a fan narrative. But he was litterally taken off his sisters couch after being dumped by multiple teams and given not one but two chances to earn the long term starting job on an NFL team. Both times in the end he **** the bed and proved he was not the answer (you can't ignore 0-2-1 this year in games that matterred most along with last years late season collapse). 

Unlike fans, he understands the business well anough to know that if you don't produce you get replaced. Again, I would have much preferrred Howell but it is what it is. 

the Sam Howell era should begin this week! Let's see if it has any legs or is another flame out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Not great for Ron, either. If Howell plays well the question becomes “why wasn’t he playing earlier?!”

Because people love a controversy.

We were promised Sam Howells first start. PROMISED! 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Because people love a controversy.

They've definitely mismanaged it no matter what, I just don't see it as big of a deal if Howell lights it up or plays poorly. Few people expected Ron to start Howell when we were still in playoff contention and he's only a 5th rounder. I'd understand if he were taken in the first 3 rounds. 

Let's be honest, if Howell plays he probably won't play very well or very poorly. Most likely he plays somewhere in between, just well enough to justify a 5th round pick and give fans some hope but not so bad that they hate Ron anymore than they already do. 

4 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

They've definitely mismanaged it no matter what, I just don't see it as big of a deal if Howell lights it up or plays poorly. Few people expected Ron to start Howell when we were still in playoff contention and he's only a 5th rounder. I'd understand if he were taken in the first 3 rounds. 

Let's be honest, if Howell plays he probably won't play very well or very poorly. Most likely he plays somewhere in between, just well enough to justify a 5th round pick and give fans some hope but not so bad that they hate Ron anymore than they already do. 

Being honest, I can’t wait to see it. Because I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by how good the “only a 5th rounder” is.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

I expect Howell to suck. Suck hard. Its just what Rookie QBs do. Especially 5th rounders who arent playing for Kyle Shanahan.

Thats fine too. Hopefully theres some good to build on with some optimism that maybe he can become a long term back up for this team. 

• Thumb down 1

10 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I expect Howell to suck. Suck hard. Its just what Rookie QBs do. Especially 5th rounders who arent playing for Kyle Shanahan.

Thats fine too. Hopefully theres some good to build on with some optimism that maybe he can become a long term back up for this team. 

I can’t argue with expectations being set low. And I admit my thoughts on Howell may be off. I disagree with a great many regarding him so maybe I’m wrong.

But I’ve got a fairly solid track record as it pertains to draft picks that this team has picked as well as others. But I certainly miss as well. So maybe I’m wrong on Howell.

But I can’t figure out why people don’t think he’s going to be good. He did nothing but play well at UNC. His team was horrendous his junior year and his play didn’t really slip. But he somehow went from a top 10 guy to the fifth? I think this is a case of overthinking by the NFL.

I’m not a fan of the dismissive “only a 5th rounder”. He’s not your typical 5th rounder. Most guys picked in the 5th weren’t once considered a top 10 pick… and there wasn’t a real reason for his decline.

But we will see.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I can’t argue with expectations being set low. And I admit my thoughts on Howell may be off. I disagree with a great many regarding him so maybe I’m wrong.

But I’ve got a fairly solid track record as it pertains to draft picks that this team has picked as well as others. But I certainly miss as well. So maybe I’m wrong on Howell.

But I can’t figure out why people don’t think he’s going to be good. He did nothing but play well at UNC. His team was horrendous his junior year and his play didn’t really slip. But he somehow went from a top 10 guy to the fifth? I think this is a case of overthinking by the NFL.

I’m not a fan of the dismissive “only a 5th rounder”. He’s not your typical 5th rounder. Most guys picked in the 5th weren’t once considered a top 10 pick… and there wasn’t a real reason for his decline.

But we will see.

And im not going to be discouraged if/when he does suck. Just show some positive things to build upon. I think the most realistic hope we/they can hope for is decent back up.

6 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Make him ready. You can formulate a game plan for him to execute. 

I'm not so sure our offensive coordinator is good at that. 

5 minutes ago, zCommander said:

If Ron is not playing Howell that means he is trying to make sure he has a some sort of a winning season rather than a losing season on his resume. If that is the case then TH will start. 

.500 ain't a winning season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Make him ready. You can formulate a game plan for him to execute. 

If Purdy can be ready, literally forced to play due to injuries, then Howell is as ready as he needs to be to start the final, meaningless game of the season. I saw Howell play the entire preseason game in Baltimore and he looked more than capable of protecting himself. Put him in and make Wentz inactive but make him put on the mascot suit for the final week. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

38 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Yes, but starting vs. Dallas seems kinda brutal.

Hopefully the rook has some flashes here and there.