Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Packer fans need to be concerned about beating the Vikings first rather than who the starting QB for this team is.  Last time I checked, they lost to Vikings in Week 1.  As far as Wentz is concerned, he is more dynamic in terms of arm strength than Heinicke.  Whether they win or not, remains to be seen

• Like 2

Just now, NoVaSkins21 said:

Packer fans need to be concerned about beating the Vikings first rather than who the starting QB for this team is.  Last time I checked, they lost to Vikings in Week 1.  As far as Wentz is concerned, he is more dynamic in terms of arm strength than Heinicke.  Whether they win or not, remains to be seen

The Vikings have been pulling wins out of their ass this season at a pretty good clip, IIRC.  The Packers are coming on strong but the Vikings seem to have that thing this year that no one can seem to explain.

• Like 1

People are way to negative on Wentz. If you follow the timeline you'll see the Oline didn't have any consistent starters until week 6/7 which is when Wentz injury happened. We also didn't have a strong run game (maybe bc the OL and maybe bc BRob was out), also our defense was horrible. i was the #1 supporter of firing JDR after week 5. I had seen Jamin Davis play man to man on a WR on the far side of the field.  

Now, my opinions have changed.  I think JDR has improved getting the most out of Jamin and our DL.  Now we are getting Chase back hopefully that'll take some pressure off of Allen, Payne and Sweat.  We can get Curl back and with St. Juste back in there we now have a great support system for Wentz in there.  Dotson is healthy as well!!!

Go back and watch the first half of the Jaguars game and look at our pass-first offense and imagine that with a solid run game sprinkled in.  And a better D.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Well, I hope for the best, but I'm preparing for the worst.  It's not like Wentz will be significantly better than Heinecke, but he has the arm strength to get the ball down the field to our receivers.  The Browns are a good opponent to see if Wentz has learned anything since he last started.  We get to see if Wentz is in the team's long term plans if he does win, but if Wentz falls flat on his face with a chance to get his team to the playoffs like last year with the Colts, it makes the decision easy for us to cut him.  It also opens up the opportunity for the new ownership regime to fire Ron & Co. once they settle in.

I bet the teams that are on the wild card bubble like the Packers, Seahawks & Lions are celebrating the QB change this morning.  We'll see if Wentz gives them something to cheer about if he falters these last two games.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

The thing that gets missed about the "arm strength" talk, is it's not just about stretching the field. It's the power on outs, the quicker the ball gets to a small hole.

It's a pass being in the air for a half second less, with less arch on it. It shrinks the field at all distances. This is missed by a lot of the Heini/Minshew guys. 

It's not that they can't throw a 20 yard out, they just make the ball more catchable for everyone involved. We're lucky to have TMac and Dotson who excel at winning those balls.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

15 minutes ago, SkinsWmsbg said:

People are way to negative on Wentz. 

C'mon.  I don't think anyone is way too negative on Wentz...or Heinicke, for that matter.  There's a lot of good, honest conversation on the pitfalls of these two guys.  They have different pedigrees and journeys to this point in their careers but at this particular stage for both of them, the negatives are almost on par with the positives.  Wentz isn't beyond reproach, not at all.   

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Listened to Keim's new podcast this morning with Bram.  Nothing too deep.

Benching they thought would happen because

A.  Even when Taylor had good moments they weren't scoring points.  the first half against SF might have been his best play yet they still only scored 7 points and that 7 was set up by a turnover.

B.  Struggles in the red zone which they think is partly because of him being short and he can't see well over the O line in the compressed space

C.  Wentz has had more time to study the offemse  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Tundra scout said:

You are welcome 

Meh, half the folks in here are their own inside source.

7 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

now these takes make absolutely no sense to me. How it’s impossible to make the logical jump for some is just baffling to me 

I'm going to regret asking this, but what's impossible and what's the logical jump?

8 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

now these takes make absolutely no sense to me. How it’s impossible to make the logical jump for some is just baffling to me 

Makes no sense how?  Recalling from other posts from you makes no sense for fans to get excited about Howell because he was drafted in the 5th round?

Edited by Skinsinparadise

7 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

i equate the howell obsession to the folks that believe in wild conspiracy theories like JFK Jr is alive ... 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Doctorfro said:

I didn’t like the Wentz pickup when we made it and I don’t like him being reinstated now. Is TH the quarterback to lead us to the promised land? No. But he is the guy that got us in the conversation for playoffs. You run what you brung imo. 

We brung Wentz, but he was hurt. If we can't score 20 points and certainly not in the red zone. I think we're the worst in the red zone actually. 

I'd say a shift in playcalling was a big reason for what got us to the playoffs, with Heini's help, but the reason we may not make it, is definitely on Heini.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

People arent obsessed with Howell because hes howell. Well most arent anyway. Its just theres a sect of non inconsequential number that likes to look ahead. They can see while theres a chance to make the playoffs with either of the two guys ahead of him theres not much chance overall of doing anything of note with either Carson or Taylor. They want to get as much information as they can before the offseason where we are surely shopping again. More information is better than less. 

Boils down to some people are content with only looking at one season and making the playoffs is great. Others want a higher watermark and like to look at more than one season at a time. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Doctorfro said:

I didn’t like the Wentz pickup when we made it and I don’t like him being reinstated now. Is TH the quarterback to lead us to the promised land? No. But he is the guy that got us in the conversation for playoffs. You run what you brung imo. 

IMHO, the defense has the team in the conversation for a playoff spot.  Heinicke is a good dude but a well below average QB.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

People arent obsessed with Howell because hes howell. Well most arent anyway. Its just theres a sect of non inconsequential number that likes to look ahead. They can see while theres a chance to make the playoffs with either of the two guys ahead of him theres not much chance overall of doing anything of note with either Carson or Taylor. They want to get as much information as they can before the offseason where we are surely shopping again. More information is better than less. 

Boils down to some people are content with only looking at one season and making the playoffs is great. Others want a higher watermark and like to look at more than one season at a time. 

That makes sense if football were played by robots and spreadsheets but its not, its played by people.

You gonna look Jon Allen and Terry McLaurin in the eyes and tell them Sam Howell is gonna be the starting QB when the playoffs are a legitimate possibility? The locker room would absolutely mutiny.

Now if we were like 2-10, then sure you start Howell. But that ship has sailed. For better or worse we've played ourselves into this position and we have to play the guys that give us the best chance to win right now.

Worry about 2023 in 2023.

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The thing that gets missed about the "arm strength" talk, is it's not just about stretching the field. It's the power on outs, the quicker the ball gets to a small hole.

It's a pass being in the air for a half second less, with less arch on it. It shrinks the field at all distances. This is missed by a lot of the Heini/Minshew guys. 

It's not that they can't throw a 20 yard out, they just make the ball more catchable for everyone involved. We're lucky to have TMac and Dotson who excel at winning those balls.

Exactly. Like that TD pass to Samuel. It wasn't some 50 yard bomb. It was a short route. But the ball came out of Wentz hands like a rocket and was placed perfectly in Samuel's hands.

If Heinicke makes that throw it gets there slow and late. Defender has a chance to make a play. Or Samuel has to contort his body to try to catch it awkwardly(because Heinicke's accuracy isn't great either)and as a result doesn't make the catch.

A stronger arm actually means a more accurate arm too on the shorter stuff.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

That makes sense if football were played by robots and spreadsheets but its not, its played by people.

You gonna look Jon Allen and Terry McLaurin in the eyes and tell them Sam Howell is gonna be the starting QB when the playoffs are a legitimate possibility? The locker room would absolutely mutiny.

Now if we were like 2-10, then sure you start Howell. But that ship has sailed. For better or worse we've played ourselves into this position and we have to play the guys that give us the best chance to win right now.

Worry about 2023 in 2023.

This is one of the major reason I want a HC and GM separate with the GM holding the power.