Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I can see it now.....Wentz gets rid of the ball quick....after the game We'll hear how guys were open downfield and he didn't let plays develop, etc..

Not sure what your point here is. We are just dumping on Wentz? Did you watch the Eagles game? You get rid of the ball quick when there is a pass rush and your OL is not helping. You take your time when you have damn good protection. I am pretty sure it is not that trivial. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Not sure what your point here is. We are just dumping on Wentz? Did you watch the Eagles game? You get rid of the ball quick when there is a pass rush and your OL is not helping. You take your time when you have damn good protection. I am pretty sure it is not that trivial. 

I mostly blame Turner and the O-Line.    Have you watched the all 22 film from the Eagles game?   with the exception of a few plays, he had nowhere to go with the ball on most of the pressures. 

People have a narrative on Wentz now.  Gotta feed that narrative.

Edited by FLSkinz83
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I mostly blame Turner and the O-Line.    Have you watched the all 22 film from the Eagles game?   with the exception of a few plays, he had nowhere to go with the ball on most of the pressures. 

People have a narrative on Wentz now.  Gotta feed that narrative.

Sorry I don't do narratives. In one of the sack video you can see Terry wide open and Wentz goes to throw and then brings it back and then gets sacked. He should have just thrown to Terry. So some of the sacks were on Wentz. The QB still needs to throw quicker and not take 7 steps drops when he sees what their D is doing and the OL is not helping him. He needs to also help the OL as well. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Sorry I don't do narratives. In one of the sack video you can see Terry wide open and Wentz goes to throw and then brings it back and then gets sacked. He should have just thrown to Terry. So some of the sacks were on Wentz. The QB still needs to throw quicker and not take 7 steps drops when he sees what their D is doing and the OL is not helping him. He needs to also help the OL as well. 

When an O-Line can't protect against a 4 man rush for longer than 2 seconds, you have no chance.     

The play you're talking about was a 2nd and 16.   He probably should have thrown it to Terry for a 6 yard gain, but on that play Norwell gets destroyed.

I had mentioned previously that I thought that some of his drops were too deep, but our interior is getting collapsed so quickly that if his drops were shorter, the Defensive Tackles would be crushing him more than the Defensive Ends.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Rookie , sign some other vet as backup- plenty of those and Sam. Plenty of teams with a young qb have a vet backup.

Taylor is going back to the couch.

Nope he will be sleeping in a nice place with his millions of dollars.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Sorry I don't do narratives. 

Dude, you're a good guy and make a fair share of fine football comments but you also have all the self-awareness of a dinner plate at times. You can take that as a very expert assessment. You def do it on th and wentz topics altho you're much more down the tube re: th 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The tricky wildcard is do we know if Howell is the future?  Things can change.  but if this season implodes -- this Qb class at the moment is considered special.

Some complain that this team never crashes at the right time where it fits a strong QB class.  At least in theory, this year crashing would be opportune on that front. 

I like Howell but to me he's a maybe.  Wentz is a maybe too.  I'd like to see that narrative play out.  Because if the draft geeks are right and this is a special class and we don't partake when we had a chance to do so, it would be an interesting twist to this team's sad history at the QB spot.

IF this team decides they need a QB at the end of the year but settles on developing Howell instead of taking a young QB in this prospect-rich draft, that's malpractice to the 10th degree.  If there was ever a franchise that absolutely had to hedge their QB bets, it's this one.  I have zero against Howell, but you simply do not bet on the guy being THE ONE.  Let him compete and grow along with a 1st round, great prospect.  Then let the chips fall.  

But I don't think Ron's gonna draft a rookie QB.  The way he's set up this team and talked about it needing a veteran at the helm, I think he's looking for the quick fix, which isn't happening.  He's already tasked the media with needing to allow him to grow and develop a young QB.  I think it'll take an act of God for him to get rid of Wentz.  There's no way in Hades that Wentz is delivering this team a championship.  It'd be a regular miracle.  Now...maybe Ron keeps Wentz as a mentor to a 1st round stud prospect.  THAT I could totally get onboard with.  

Edited by Redwards

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah me too.   I want a definitive answer.  It would bother me to no end for example for the Giants to grab a franchise QB in this draft and we skip it because we think "maybe" as to Wentz.

As far as Howell goes I like him but not to the extent that I'd bypass a QB in this draft if they draft high. 

This team can't afford to roll with a "maybe" when it comes to QB, that's for sure.

IMO, if we don't have a definitive opinion in the positive at that position, then this franchise should 100% do whatever it needs to do to procure a legit stud prospect.  We're rapidly losing ground in the division; it's getting better and we aren't.  As you said, if (and IMO, it's when) the Giants get their stud prospect and we sit that position out under murky conditions for us at the QB position after this year, we're gonna regret it.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Absolute worst case scenario. Continue to put a great deal of the offense on Wentz so he can flourish or fail. No in between. 

I fear it’s going to be a case of Wentz being okay and the staff who acquired him justifying another year. 

Oh, I'd be absolutely floored if this wasn't the case.  Ron's gonna do everything he can to justify getting Wentz and all the wonderful things he's said about him.  This is where having a coach with Personnel power kills a team.  

We're going to have a "The Whole Team Is Responsible For Our Mediocre Season, So Don't Put It All On Carson" type of season and just sit with Carson another year.  Then Ron's gonna realize that Carson isn't good enough to win us a championship, and by then it's too late.  I have no doubt this'll be the way it rolls out because it ALWAYS rolls out that way.  We're always a day late and a dollar short.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Of the sacks 3 were on wentz, 2 were on him and the oline and the rest on awful line play

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, tomwvr said:

Nope he will be sleeping in a nice place with his millions of dollars.

And I bet he’s got a really expensive pen that he’ll be able to use to write you all the thank you notes for always having his back on here, even when it makes you look fussy 

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Dude, you're a good guy and make a fair share of fine football comments but you also have all the self-awareness of a dinner plate at times. You can take that as a very expert assessment. You def do it on th and wentz topics altho you're much more down the tube re: th 🙂

I think that is where people take me wrong. I do assessments the way I see it. Whether it is liking what I saw with TH or Wentz or what I don't like what I see. I know people hate it when I bring up the comparison from last year. Which I find it baffling as to what is the big deal. Am I defensive at times. Yes but only if provoked. You have to look at the past to compare the present with same players, scheme and coaches that were there last year too. For example: To me comparing Wentz playing for the Colts is not a good way to compare Wentz playing for the Commanders. Why? Different OL and coaches and scheme. 

I have called TH an idiot at times too. But people don't seem to remember I have actually said that as well. I have said this before I really don't have an agenda. It might come out that way. I just want our football team to win some god damn games and have a winning season and go to the playoffs and beyond. Maybe my frustration gets the better of me. I am really sorry for that.

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Speaking of judgements....I did say "for example". And I gave an example. ;)

I’m just saying, you may feel that you are simply providing unbiased analysis and it’s everything but that.

All the sudden this year, the QB needs to help out the OL.  An OL where multiple parts are getting blown off the ball immediately upon the snap of the ball.  Guy takes nine sacks, you reference one screen shot you saw.  People counter your opinion asking if you actually watched the nine sacks and you admit you only saw the Terry screenshot.  How can you have a strong opinion on something you haven’t researched in the slightest?

Last season, you guys had umpteen thousand excuses for Heineke, offensive line being one of them.  I don’t recall you making it a point that Heineke needed to help them out.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zCommander said:

Some people think Slay was baiting Wentz on that play. They think it would have been a pick if Wentz threw it. I'm not sure though.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m just saying, you may feel that you are simply providing unbiased analysis but it’s everything but that.

All the sudden this year, the QB needs to help out the OL.  An OL where multiple parts are getting blown off the ball immediately upon the snap of the ball.  Guy takes nine sacks, you reference one screen shot you saw.  People counter your opinion asking if you actually watched the nine sacks and you admit you only saw the Terry screenshot.  How can you have a strong opinion on something you haven’t researched in the slightest?

Last season, you guys had umpteen thousand excuses for Heineke, offensive line being one of them.  I don’t recall you making it a point that Heineke needed to help them out.

I use to call RG3 an idiot too for making his OL tired trying to protect him while he danced around in the backfield. Even his OL said RG3 makes it difficult to protect him when he moves around like that. So no this is not something new and all of a sudden. To you maybe but not to me. Getting the ball out quicker helps of course or just throw away the ball. 9 sacks but no throw away. That should be on the QB no matter what their name is. 

I did watch all the sacks but the Terry one stood out more to me. 

I don't recall saying anything about the OL for last year. They actually were good. I did however said he didn't have that many targets to throw to though which Wentz has more of this year. TH also scrambled at times to make his throws while getting away from the defender. I guess that can be chalked up as helping his OL in essence. But OL was not a concern for me for last year though. 

37 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I think that is where people take me wrong. I do assessments the way I see it. Whether it is liking what I saw with TH or Wentz or what I don't like what I see. I know people hate it when I bring up the comparison from last year. Which I find it baffling as to what is the big deal. Am I defensive at times. Yes but only if provoked. You have to look at the past to compare the present with same players, scheme and coaches that were there last year too. For example: To me comparing Wentz playing for the Colts is not a good way to compare Wentz playing for the Commanders. Why? Different OL and coaches and scheme. 

I have called TH an idiot at times too. But people don't seem to remember I have actually said that as well. I have said this before I really don't have an agenda. It might come out that way. I just want our football team to win some god damn games and have a winning season and go to the playoffs and beyond. Maybe my frustration gets the better of me. I am really sorry for that.

For the love of god can you please just admit that you really like TH, aren't very high on Wentz, were bummed that TH wasn't the guy, and move on? Can we stop this "what? I'm just providing unbiased QB analysis!" dog and pony show?

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

For the love of god can you please just admit that you really like TH, aren't very high on Wentz, were bummed that TH wasn't the guy, and move on? Can we stop this "what? I'm just providing unbiased QB analysis!" dog and pony show?

Did you miss the part where I said if I am provoked. I know what you are trying to do here.

But I will clear this up for the last and the millionth time, I wanted to us to roll with TH so we can get a franchise QB in the 2023 draft. You know where the class of 2023 with better QB prospect than 2022. But if Wentz keeps on playing like he is then my wish might actually come true. Hey, so what they paid Wentz $28 mil and lost couple of picks in the process. And yes I was meh on the Wentz trade. But you guys saw something special in him. So far meh. 

There was an article by a Philly beat reporter that said Pedersen got tired of Wentz constantly changing the play and ad libbing the offense which led to him being benched. 

If that is the case and he did some of that in Sundays game, then maybe Scott had a better game-plan than I thought. Regardless he needs to play within the system. Instead of looking away from his first read and holding onto the ball, he needs to get it to his outlets right away. Where are our tight ends? Those guys are 6’6 or taller. Get the ball to them and we might have a better than 50/50 to get a catch. I rather see 50/50 balls with our playmakers than him trying to extend the play only to get sacked. He isn’t mobile anymore and I believe he thinks he can extend the play and make some terrific pass.

1 hour ago, Conn said:

And I bet he’s got a really expensive pen that he’ll be able to use to write you all the thank you notes for always having his back on here, even when it makes you look fussy 

I said many times last year in many of his awful games to sit him. I dont blindly want him to play. Hell this year i dont care if he plays, but my only argument is if wentz does not win more games and take us to the playoffs and is done after one season was it worth it to not play TH 1/4th of the season and then play howell the rest of the season?

16 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

I said many times last year in many of his awful games to sit him. I dont blindly want him to play. Hell this year i dont care if he plays, but my only argument is if wentz does not win more games and take us to the playoffs and is done after one season was it worth it to not play TH 1/4th of the season and then play howell the rest of the season?

One thing you have to take in account is that if we didn't trade for Wentz then we would have gone with a QB with our 1st pick and so no Dotson. Would they have selected Howell that high though? If yes then they would have started Howell and TH as the backup.  

Edited by zCommander