Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We offered Cooper more and he stayed in Dallas to play with Dak instead of Haskins.  

He knew. 

They always know.  

Not having a legitimate starting QB effects the decisions of every FA on both sides of the ball.  

The league looks at TH as backup T best, probably 3rd string.  If we offered Adam’s 10% more than GB (assuming Rodgers is in GB) he would 100% stay in GB because playing with Rodgers and having success, he’ll make the 10% up somehow.

I thought we offered Cooper a bigger Contract, but with less money. guaranteed. That for me would be Cooper's reasons for staying at Dallas and not who we have as QB. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I thought we offered Cooper a bigger Contract, but with less money. guaranteed. That for me would be Cooper's reasons for staying at Dallas and not who we have as QB. 

No.  Our deal was better in every way.  

He chose Dak. 

And honestly, it was an easy choice and the right one.  Because he’s been productive and he’s going to get another bite of the Apple. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1496846781799440395?s=20&t=dRtjHy3sqvYM25rJMhmwqw

Dont know why this tweet isnt imbedding but anyways from Russini announcement about Rodgers expected soon and Packers already have multiple offers on the table.

Yea, just listening to her on Get Up saying the same thing.  You got to believe Commanders are one of those teams.  Copied in tweet for you 🙂

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Yea, just listening to her on Get Up saying the same thing.  You got to believe Commanders are one of those teams.  Copied in tweet for you 🙂

Thanks appreciate it. I'm guessing its cause I'm on work computer. Id imagine we are one Im assuming she didnt give any info as to who?

The QB situation affecting FA signings is a major point.  If you're an FA, you're always going to defer to whichever team gives you the most money, but the team's chances at winning are a major factor too.  For example, we desperately need a #2 receiver next to Terry.  Some might argue that Samuel is that #2 option, but his injury history says otherwise.  Some of the major FA WR's on the market this offseason include guys like Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, Mike Williams, etc.  Guys like Adams and Williams have played for great QB's and have racked up yards and pro bowl appearances.  Why would they want to sacrifice their stats to play with garbage QB's like Heinecke or Trubisky/Marriota?  If I'm Davante Adams or Mike Williams, and the offer from the Commanders or another team is similar, I'm going to whichever team has the better QB.  If we don't upgrade at QB, and sign a complete loser like Trubisky or Marriota, we're losing that FA WR everytime.  Amari Cooper had a chance to sign with Washington for more money than he ended up taking from the Cowboys, and it was because of the QB situation.  If you have a mediocre or terrible QB, you're not attracting many offensive FA's at all.

16 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Thanks appreciate it. I'm guessing its cause I'm on work computer. Id imagine we are one Im assuming she didnt give any info as to who?

She did not, only that many teams are "loaded up" and ready to go with their offers

1 hour ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Good lord I'm not justifying anything. Ive said numerous times in this thread Taylor Heinicke is not the guy. Guess what neither is Jimmy G. One costs 1.5 million. The other costs draft picks and a very large chunk of your available cap space. So again if neither one of them is the answer long term Im not giving up assets that can be used to plug up the holes on the roster. Its not worth the minimal upgrade at that point. Ive also said before im totally okay with bringing in a guy like Mariota or Trubisky who also arent long term answers. Do you wanna know why that is? Because they are upgrades just like Jimmy is. But guess what they dont cost you draft picks and a ton of money. Trading for Jimmy G who you already know isnt your long term answer is a waste of valuable assets. Its like me saying I need a new car with better gas mileage. And going and dropping $20,000 on a vehicle thats 1 year newer and gets 2mpg better than what I currently have. Is it an upgrade? sure technically it is. Was the level of upgrade worth what I paid for it? Probably not. If Jimmy was free agent Id probably be interested. But giving up draft capital plus taking on that contract absolutely not.

A couple of points...

First, I mostly agree with you about Jimmy G. I think he's an utterly mediocre QB who was carried by superior teams to a super bowl and another conference championship game. I definitely don't want to spend more than a 3rd on him and I don't want to have to pay him $25-30 million. I think that's ridiculous money for someone so average.

Second, that being said...at least Jimmy G is a legit NFL starter. Heinicke isn't. Putting Heinicke out there is like deciding to keep driving your 1993 Geo Metro because you don't think a Honda Accord will win you a race on a track. It won't, but at least you won't be driving a 1993 Geo Metro that nobody wants to ride in and laughs at you for having. Especially if you have the money for the Accord.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, samy316 said:

The QB situation affecting FA signings is a major point.  If you're an FA, you're always going to defer to whichever team gives you the most money, but the team's chances at winning are a major factor too.  For example, we desperately need a #2 receiver next to Terry.  Some might argue that Samuel is that #2 option, but his injury history says otherwise.  Some of the major FA WR's on the market this offseason include guys like Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, Mike Williams, etc.  Guys like Adams and Williams have played for great QB's and have racked up yards and pro bowl appearances.  Why would they want to sacrifice their stats to play with garbage QB's like Heinecke or Trubisky/Marriota?  If I'm Davante Adams or Mike Williams, and the offer from the Commanders or another team is similar, I'm going to whichever team has the better QB.  If we don't upgrade at QB, and sign a complete loser like Trubisky or Marriota, we're losing that FA WR everytime.  Amari Cooper had a chance to sign with Washington for more money than he ended up taking from the Cowboys, and it was because of the QB situation.  If you have a mediocre or terrible QB, you're not attracting many offensive FA's at all.

That True, but we will get a number 2 Wr there to many this year not to.

7 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

That True, but we will get a number 2 Wr there to many this year not to.

Not if the QB we get is mediocre.  If we end up with Trubisky/Marriota, you can forget about us getting any quality FA WR's.  They would take one look at our pathetic QB situation, and decide to sign elsewhere.  Wentz would be the only QB we could sign, who isn't "great", but has a cannon arm, and can find his weapons.  He had only one decent WR last year playing for the Colts, and STILL threw for 27TD/7INT.  Obviously, if we're lucky enough to get a Rodgers or a Wilson, you would see our chances improve greatly in attracting all kinds of FA's.

Edited by samy316

10 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Teams in for Rodgers Us,Pitt,Cle,Den,No,Lv, Phl, and Car? Any one else.

If he’s actually available for trade you could probably add another dozen teams at least to the list who would ‘want’ him.

Titans distanced themselves but I’d add them as possible strong contenders. They have a QB to send back plus picks.

3 minutes ago, zCommander said:

If we get Jimmy G. then you all better not complain about his play in the game day thread 'cause I will go nuclear on your ass! lol

Nobody "WANTS" Jimmy G dude. Nobody is dieing for him to be our awesome starting QB to build a dynasty. He's the top of the scrap heap and the best we might be able to get.

Jimmy G is Heinicke, if Heinicke was an NFL QB.

If you are planning to "go nuclear" on other fans if Jimmy G struggles, it's because you are making **** up so you can act like a baby about it. Don't do that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nobody "WANTS" Jimmy G dude. Nobody is dieing for him to be our awesome starting QB to build a dynasty. He's the top of the scrap heap and the best we might be able to get.

Jimmy G is Heinicke, if Heinicke was an NFL QB.

If you are planning to "go nuclear" on other fans if Jimmy G struggles, it's because you are making **** up so you can act like a baby about it. Don't do that.

Good because I really don't want to do that. 🙂

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

A couple of points...

First, I mostly agree with you about Jimmy G. I think he's an utterly mediocre QB who was carried by superior teams to a super bowl and another conference championship game. I definitely don't want to spend more than a 3rd on him and I don't want to have to pay him $25-30 million. I think that's ridiculous money for someone so average.

Second, that being said...at least Jimmy G is a legit NFL starter. Heinicke isn't. Putting Heinicke out there is like deciding to keep driving your 1993 Geo Metro because you don't think a Honda Accord will win you a race on a track. It won't, but at least you won't be driving a 1993 Geo Metro that nobody wants to ride in and laughs at you for having. Especially if you have the money for the Accord.

My thing is not about not wanting Jimmy himself. Its about the amount of capital its going to take to get him and still be in the same position we are already in and have been in for god knows how long. Except now you have less talent on the roster because you used draft picks AND 25 million of cap space that couldve been used to continue improving the roster. Im all about getting even an average starter in here. Just not at that cost.

10 minutes ago, zCommander said:

If we get Jimmy G. then you all better not complain about his play in the game day thread 'cause I will go nuclear on your ass! lol

We could get Aaron Rodgers and I’m certain folks would complain about him in the gameday thread.  So I’m not real sure what point you’re making with this.  

Trading a pick and paying for Jimmy G is very low on my offseason options list.  In fact, it ranks just above rolling with Heineke once again.  But we could end up in a situation where acquiring Jimmy is the best possible option this org will have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

My thing is not about not wanting Jimmy himself. Its about the amount of capital its going to take to get him and still be in the same position we are already in and have been in for god knows how long. Except now you have less talent on the roster because you used draft picks AND 25 million of cap space that couldve been used to continue improving the roster. Im all about getting even an average starter in here. Just not at that cost.

Nobody wants to pay $25-30MM for competence.  But teams do because it’s that rare to find.  

What good is an extra $25MM in cap space to bolster a roster led by an XFL armed QB?

• Like 1

Hopefully, the Rodgers trade starts the domino effect and more trades occur.  Rodges is the best of the bunch but I want Wilson/Carr.  They are younger and with Rodgers he may only play for a year or two so I wouldn't want to trade 3 1st for a year or two of play.  Just me.  :)