Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

However, *if* Watson is truly ready to change his ways (or hopefully, continue his already-changed ways), I would be up for a reasonable trade.  If he can keep his nose (and his massage table) clean, and lead the Commandys to respectability, he'll salvage his career and this team.  And if he wins a Super Bowl, then there'll be a groundswell to rename the team the Washington Watsons.  Put Deshaun's face on the helmet and go back to the B&G.

Hail to the Watsons, hail victory, Deshaun's on the warpath, fight for new D.C.!

• Like 1

Reading through the last 20 pages, I cannot believe some of you are high on Winston(LOL), or Garropolo for that matter. You all don’t learn from the last do you ?

Secondly, to the people saying “we are more then a qb away,” the Bengals have proved that’s a buncha bs. Get the qb, you get a chance. Without Rodgers that packers team is 3-14, without Josh Allen, Bills are 5-12. You need a QB, period

21 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

However, *if* Watson is truly ready to change his ways (or hopefully, continue his already-changed ways), I would be up for a reasonable trade.  If he can keep his nose (and his massage table) clean, and lead the Commandys to respectability, he'll salvage his career and this team.  And if he wins a Super Bowl, then there'll be a groundswell to rename the team the Washington Watsons.  Put Deshaun's face on the helmet and go back to the B&G.

Hail to the Watsons, hail victory, Deshaun's on the warpath, fight for new D.C.!

I would throw 3 1st round picks at Watson in a heartbeat and not think twice about it. But only if the legal issues are settled

16 minutes ago, skins4ever28 said:

Reading through the last 20 pages, I cannot believe some of you are high on Winston(LOL), or Garropolo for that matter. You all don’t learn from the last do you ?

Secondly, to the people saying “we are more then a qb away,” the Bengals have proved that’s a buncha bs. Get the qb, you get a chance. Without Rodgers that packers team is 3-14, without Josh Allen, Bills are 5-12. You need a QB, period

I totally agree w/you..no doubt winning in the NFL is still a QB driven league and without 1 its harder to win,  but in the case of the Bengals, nothing in the few games he played last season before the knee injury sidelined him would have told you Burrow was going to have the season he did, and you could argue get the stud WR and he makes the QB (JaMarr Chase) and lets be honest a lot of things worked in the Bengals favor this season, case in point 1 could argue that the Ravens with all their injuries and what not helped the Bengals out a bit too.  Lets see them do this again imho, remember if your old enough everyone said the same thing about Marino and he never played in a SB again.  I do agree w/Rodgers & Allen though

6 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Oooh. He bypassed a chance to get a Franchise QB and then won enough games to ensure he wouldn't have a chance to draft another one? Hooray for him then!

If Rivera hadn't made the playoffs his first year, he'd be just another has been. Beat cancer, but would that deter Snyder when it's Rivera putting Snyder's guy out on the street? I doubt it. Rivera made the playoffs, so Rivera is now bulletproof for at least the next 5 years. Hindsight is that Rivera could have gotten Joe Burrow. Too bad you weren't there to tell all the players that they should throw the games so that Burrow could take them to the Super Bowl a year after tearing his ACL.

Edited by NickyJ

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

The NFL is going to regret selling out so hard to the offense and especially the QB position. 

Yeah, I've been telling my friends (not hard to do when you have 4) that the NFL is going to resurrect the dynasties it tried so hard to get rid of.  In the 70's and 80's, you needed a stud RB to win.  There were only so many OJs, Riggos, Dorsetts, Harrises, etc., to go around.  Now it's the QBs.  You have one in the top quarter, you'll be in the SB hunt.  Top 1/3, you're making the offs.  Not in the top 1/3, you might, but not regularly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

If Rivera hadn't made the playoffs his first year, he'd be just another has been. Beat cancer, but would that deter Snyder when it's Rivera putting Snyder's guy out on the street? I doubt it. Rivera made the playoffs, so Rivera is now bulletproof for at least the next 5 years. Hindsight is that Rivera could have gotten Joe Burrow. Too bad you weren't there to tell all the players that they should throw the games so that Burrow could take them to the Super Bowl a year after tearing his ACL.

Sorry I don't cheer mediocrity or consider 1st round playoff exits the height of football success.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Sorry I don't cheer mediocrity or consider 1st round playoff exits the height of football success.

I don't think mediocrity is the height of football success. I think that having a competent coach earning enough credit in his very first season to be untouchable to the worst owner in the league gives this team its only chance of football success. If you get the QB but have a revolving door of coaches and the front offices, your version of the "height of football success" can easily turn out to be Detroit with Matthew Stafford.

Is the situation we're in perfect or even good? No. But that's what we've got with the worst owner in the league. I'm not going to mourn over something the team could just as easily screw up.

In the end, this whole thing came up because you said Rivera was stupid to take the job with Snyder putting his hands all over the QB situation. It sucks that that's what it was, but as a fan, I am okay with it because Rivera is the best coach we could have gotten, and should have the support and guts to keep Snyder's hands off the roster. Would some other has-been we hired instead of Rivera who'd be on the hotseat after 2 years be better? I don't think so, because I don't think some other has-been would have been have been given authority to pick his own front office.

Edited by NickyJ

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can't wait until this QB thing is resolved.  My mind is so locked into this spot, I barely think about anything else when it comes to sports right now. 😧

This could be the only statement in the entire thread that we all agree on.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I don't think mediocrity is the height of football success. I think that having a competent coach earning enough credit in his very first season to be untouchable to the worst owner in the league gives this team its only chance of football success. If you get the QB but have a revolving door of coaches and the front offices, your version of the "height of football success" can easily turn out to be Detroit with Matthew Stafford.

Is the situation we're in perfect or even good? No. But that's what we've got with the worst owner in the league. I'm not going to mourn over something the team could just as easily screw up.

In the end, this whole thing came up because you said Rivera was stupid to take the job with Snyder putting his hands all over the QB situation. It sucks that that's what it was, but as a fan, I am okay with it because Rivera is the best coach we could have gotten, and should have the support and guts to keep Snyder's hands off the roster. Would some other has-been we hired instead of Rivera who'd be on the hotseat after 2 years be better? I don't think so, because I don't think some other has-been would have been have been given authority to pick his own front office.

So, you're saying Rivera, who let us remember was sought after for interviews in multiple places, took a job with the worst owner in sports who was dictating that he had to keep a bad QB as his starter- and he had to turn that 3-13 team into a playoff team in year one or be fired?

And I want to be absolutely clear on this- you're saying Rivera took the job under those conditions as a way of praising him? 

Just wow. 

13 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Is this because of how you view Mayfield and/or Landry?  Or the cap space required to extend both?  Not wanting to lose Sweat?

Just curious.  I have to admit, I’m relatively clueless regarding the rest of the league…

I think in your scenario you were offering up too much, plus I wouldn’t want Landry. I could live with a move for Mayfield though. 

11 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's dangerous to go alone! - Wikipedia

By coincidence, it was reported at the time of the draft that the Falcons wanted to trade up for Young but the jump was too far for that to ever be realistic.

Also on the Falcons, I think they would be mad to pass over taking Willis if he is still on the boards at #8. I could even see them moving up in the draft to take him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I think in your scenario you were offering up too much, plus I wouldn’t want Landry. I could live with a move for Mayfield though. 

By coincidence, it was reported at the time of the draft that the Falcons wanted to trade up for Young but the jump was too far for that to ever be realistic.

Also on the Falcons, I think they would be mad to pass over taking Willis if he is still on the boards at #8. I could even see them moving up in the draft to take him. 

Standing said he never reported this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The NFL is going to regret selling out so hard to the offense and especially the QB position. 

The NFL is an entertainment business. They’re about ratings (ie profits).

And for better or worse, if you want to get bigger ratings (ie. audience), you have to appease the masses. 

And their research seems to be consistent with every major professional sport. More offence.

And judging by the numbers $$$$, it would appear they’re getting exactly what they wanted.

7 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

The NFL is an entertainment business. They’re about ratings (ie profits).

And for better or worse, if you want to get bigger ratings (ie. audience), you have to appease the masses. 

And their research seems to be consistent with every major professional sport. More offence.

And judging by the numbers $$$$, it would appear they’re getting exactly what they wanted.

You're probably right, but they'll have dynasties again and the sport will continue to devolve as they gear towards the common fans.

You'll end up with a couple of good games every couple weeks and then a bunch of bad teams playing each other. If people liked blow outs, they'd watch more college ball.

• Thumb up 1

Not sure I am surprised, but this guy also is just an account that pulls together news from other areas, so not necessarily a true report.

But the key to this being "if released" ... so no draft capital expended which would be ideal. Just like Mariota, Trubisky, Winston, etc. he would just be a veteran to stopgap for a long-term solution. I like Wentz, and having a rookie and Heinecke behind him in the event he can't stay on the field would mitigate some of the injury concerns.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You're probably right, but they'll have dynasties again and the sport will continue to devolve as they gear towards the common fans.

You'll end up with a couple of good games every couple weeks and then a bunch of bad teams playing each other. If people liked blow outs, they'd watch more college ball.

I think there's a false equivalency here.

Having good offenses doesn't mean blow outs. The NFL doesn't have a problem with shootouts.

But the team with the franchise QB (and media darlings) are probably going to win out.

And don't forget the refs in this equation. They have enough authority to keep games closer than they should. And they seem to always make things interesting.

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago.... we heard it about the best playoff weekend in NFL history?! It wasn't because of the teams.... it wasn't because of the scores. It was because every game finished on the last play of the game. Drama counts too 🙂

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Not sure I am surprised, but this guy also is just an account that pulls together news from other areas, so not necessarily a true report.

But the key to this being "if released" ... so no draft capital expended which would be ideal. Just like Mariota, Trubisky, Winston, etc. he would just be a veteran to stopgap for a long-term solution. I like Wentz, and having a rookie and Heinecke behind him in the event he can't stay on the field would mitigate some of the injury concerns.

Agreed, "if released" then he's probably at roughly the same level as the other FAs. The problem with Wentz is that he appears to have character issues. I think (hope) that Rivera wouldn't want to sign him because of that.

Wentz put up decent numbers with only one receiver to go at. 

He’s a level above Trubisky, Matiota but clearly nowhere near the likes of Wilson. On balance I don’t think he’s too far behind Carr in terms of ability. But Carr seems like a good pro, Wentz a dick. That said, pitching him back in the East might be a motivating factor. 

It beats giving up a high pick or two for Jimmy G in my opinion.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NickyJ said:

If Rivera hadn't made the playoffs last year we'd have had higher picks nd potentially swung a trade making 2021 a totally different animal

• Like 1

The Colts could also encourage a trade for Wentz by including a greater value pick in the trade. In doing so they would save 15mil in cash and eliminate all dead cap. However they have no obvious replacement and no high draft pick. Highly unlikely as you need a partner that wants to take on a that contract too.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The guy can’t mentally handle it; if there’s another qb on the team that can do the job or is drafted. He showed that in Philly with Foles and Hurts. Any team that signs him and then either brings in another qb that could take the job from him or draft another qb; he can’t mentally handle it.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

What were Pats; chopped liver?

Packers - 60’s Dynasty 

Steelers - 70’s Dynasty 

49ers - 80’s Dynasty

Boys - 90’s Dynasty

Pats - 00’s & 10’s Dynasty

There’s always one team each decade that’s dynastic.

At the moment; the Chiefs look to be this decades dynasty.