Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Pass on Mills if we wanted him we would have got him last year. The mississippi guy looks like best run pass guy in this years draft. 

If we don't get an above average vet I think we could move up by giving up Sweat and this year first.

Sweat probably as good a prospect as the two top two d linemen this year and is cheaper.

Don't know if he is as good as a prospect as the top two Edge guys this year, but I do agree he is worth roughly a first rounder

39 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Like John Bostic? :P

What concerns me is Ron is going to talk himself into Bostic or Mayo at MLB with Holcomb/Davis on the outside with Collins playing the Buffalo Nickel.

He can never say enough good things about Bostic and recently was pointing to his injury as a reason Davis’ development was stunted.

I hope to God they don’t think that’s the option.  I feel like there are enough personnel guys to make sure it’s not. 

But what I figured was a slam dunk (get new inside LB) I now have some concern about.

I think 0% chance they'd bring back Bostic for anything other than being a backup.

Sheehan led Rivera to that water in an interview where he goes you guys missed Bostic more than people realize.  I don't think Rivera is going to respond with you know Kevin that's not true we were actually better off without him.   I do think as Rivera has pointed out, the thing they miss about Bostic is that he can call a defense.  While Rivera has pretty much put up billboards that Holcomb and Davis aren't Mike LB call defense guys albeit Holcomb got better at it as the season progressed.  But them hyping how Mayo playing, because he could call a defense and that helped Holcomb faster was the kicker to me.

The zillion ways Rivera has said getting a big time Mike LB on this team since the off season started doesn't even feel a little like hey we got that dude in house.  They seem as code Red about MLB as they do QB.  As for them talking themselves into something, I got zero fear its about Bostic, but I got a lot of fear at FS.  Rivera has talked up McCain plenty.  And rumors exist that they are trying to bring him back.  I do agree that McCain played better in the 2nd half but IMO he's just a guy, they could do better.

Speaking of Sheehan, like you I still like listening to him but what is it with him now being so obsessed about getting things right and glossing over the things he's gotten wrong?  Feels like he's turning into Skip Bayless on that front. :ols:  Now he's saying he's rooting for the Eagles to win this Sunday because that was a team he touted before the season.  And in other segments he talks about how further along the Eagles are as a team versus us (which is something other beat guys disagree with him about including Keim).

I can let go the Trask is better than Mac Jones stuff from him, since he didn't say it much.  But he said 50 million times in the preseason, the Giants are a sneaky good team and he thinks they will be good this season.  And he went on again and again and again about how Sam Darnold has "it".  Unless I missed a segment he hasn't owned up to be wrong about either thing.  And I'd let it go if he wasn't all about this Eagles stuff, and how right he was about that.  Yeah he was right that the Eagles ended up better than many expected.  But he was dead wrong about other stuff that apparently never happened.  Unless you heard a mea culpa from him about that, that I missed?:ols:. I still like Sheehan.  But in the past he'd own his mistakes/bad predictions.  We all miss.  It's cool.  But when I hear him harp on the Eagles to the extent that he wants them to win -- feels like he's off the deep end a little. :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No, we’re not.  He can’t play.  Sorry.  The jury is in.  When you can’t run 40% of the playbook, and the only way for him to have any success is to run the ball 60 times a game, you have to move on.

I like the guy.  But he can’t be a starting, even a bridge, QB in the NFL.  

Heinicke is a great value as a QB.

He’s just not a starter, he needs more things to go right for him to succeed. That’s why he’s  ok, he would be a high value backup.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think it will be more competitive for Bridgewater Trubisky or Marrota type. Colts browns and saints all need strong back up qb and are places they could potentially start.

We hopefully should get one to go with rookie qb. That is if we don't get a top vet. Th should be on roster given chance to compete see what happens maybe he beats out the vet.

Yeah, we're pretty much on the same page. The Trubiota type QBs will always be in demand because there aren't enough high-end ones to go around, but we have a reasonable amount of cap space to entice one here so should have a shot.

I don't think that they're good enough for many teams to offer them a guaranteed starting role. They should expect to compete for their place, the same as every other position.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

48 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Like John Bostic? :P

What concerns me is Ron is going to talk himself into Bostic or Mayo at MLB with Holcomb/Davis on the outside with Collins playing the Buffalo Nickel.

He can never say enough good things about Bostic and recently was pointing to his injury as a reason Davis’ development was stunted.

I hope to God they don’t think that’s the option.  I feel like there are enough personnel guys to make sure it’s not. 

But what I figured was a slam dunk (get new inside LB) I now have some concern about.

The first line isn’t funny and I kindly ask you take it back :ols:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, method man said:

Look at his numbers w his first 3 games out. 

Just did, yeah he played better at the end with some hiccups in the mix.  Here are his QBR scores in order of last game to his first.

My issue with Davis Mills is I spent a lot of time on him in the previous off season.   And my takeaway is he clearly has it in him to be in that sort of 17-22 range of QBs.  High floor IMO low ceiling.  I just have a hard time getting jazzed about his specific talent.  He's not fast or mobile.  His accuracy IMO is good but nothing special.  His arm is decent but nothing special. 

It wouldn't shock me if he has a Jimmy G type career, if everything comes together for him.  I would be stunned if he ever becomes a top 10 QB.  And I'll leave it at that and be ready to eat my words if I end up wrong.  :ols:

I spent so many hours on Davis that i can't be talked into him.  Unless the point is we want a game manager type who won't crap the bed as opposed to a franchise QB -- if that's the point I could be talked into him.  

His injury history is a red flag too, not as concerning as Carson Strong, but plenty to pause about if his left knee takes another serious hit.

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 11.02.22 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise I agree with you.  

The counter-point would be the Texans are BAD, and he exceeded expectations in a tough environment.  

So, if he was part of a convoy of options, I’d be ok with it.   But I wouldn’t give up anything meaningful to get him.  (Which means you wouldn’t get him. Because why would they part with a guy who’s shown at least competence for nothing?)

I'd take him over Heinicke. But I am not excited about him.  I wouldn't think mission accomplished as for finding a franchise QB.

Good article IMO on him

https://texansunfiltered.com/read/davis-mills-is-the-most-dangerous-quarterback-in-the-nfl

With that being said, Davis Mills has had similarly poor and in my opinion, better team surroundings than the two quarterbacks he's arguably played better than - Wilson and Fields - which helps inflate his stats when comparing the three.

The biggest pro-Mills argument is that he's held back by play calling and I agree, but so have Fields and Wilson. It's clear that Tim Kelly runs the ball too much during neutral game scripts especially when the Texans are last in the NFL in rush offense DVOA (per Football Outsiders) plus Kelly has a fetish for WR screens that we fail to block well. Both of these factors do hurt Mills' chance at success as he's faced plenty of disadvantageous 3rd and long situations.

Similarly, Bears play caller Matt Nagy is a quarterback destroyer - not whisperer - who has set up Fields to fail by running an absurd amount of 5-wide formations (OL has no blocking help via RBs or TEs) which is mad-scientist-level-crazy when the Bears have the worst pass protecting offensive line in the NFL (per Football Outsiders). Nagy also fails to get Fields in rhythm with easy looks off of play action or bootlegs and is such a poor communicator that they told Fields he had a free play when he didn't, leading to an interception.

Furthermore, Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur is a rookie at leading an offense himself and has failed to scheme around Zach Wilson's strengths that he displayed at BYU - being allergic to play action, bootlegs and struggling to time and space those concepts properly when they do finally call them. LaFleur has simultaneously put too much on Wilson's plate, asking him to operate drop back passing concepts that require a veteran level of mental execution but also handicapping Wilson by calling plenty of throws behind the line of scrimmage (25 compared to Mills' 32) leading to poor yards/attempt (Wilson and Mills both average 6.5).

Apart from play calling, these three quarterbacks also do not have much talent around them, but I would argue that Mills has the best of the three offenses which helps boost his numbers. Starting with the offensive line and for as bad as the Texans has been at run blocking, they rank 19th in Football Outsiders "Pass Protection" metric whereas the Bears rank dead last in the NFL at 32nd and the Jets rank 30th.

Furthermore, Mills has the best wide receiver on the Texans, Bears or Jets - Brandin Cooks is on pace for another 1,000+ yard season and has an absurd catch rate of 73% (career high since rookie season). With how much rookie quarterbacks tend to lean on their WR1, Mills has a distinct advantage over both Fields (Allen Robinson has the least separation yards of his career) and Wilson (Corey Davis has missed two games and only has 50+ yards in two games). Their supporting casts are pretty comparable, with Mills having Nico Collins+Danny Amendola, Fields having Darnell Mooney+Marquise Goodwin and Wilson having Elijah Moore+Keelan Cole.

I bring these points up not to entirely discredit Mills' performance (he's been fairly average for a rookie) but to provide context which should cool down the talks that he is a better player than Fields and Wilson. Will he be one day? I can't rule that out, but if I asked you if you'd rather have Fields, Wilson or Mills as the Texans quarterback of the future, I think the answer to that question would display where the confidence in the room is leaning and leads to my next point.

Credit to Carter Donnick, who wrote a great piece for The Draft Network detailing what traits make a quarterback "Pro Ready". I highly recommend you check out the full article, but I'll summarize/paraphrase his thoughts as well.

Firstly, quarterbacks with great mobility tend to have a higher floor and are afforded more time to develop the mental side of the game because they aren't taking detrimental sacks that kill confidence and development. In addition, quarterbacks who have great athleticism - or at least an athletic trait to hang their hat on - have a huge initial advantage too. The following is a great excerpt, by Carter.

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 6.14.44 PM.png

Another nugget I found interesting is that recent quarterbacks who had a relative athletic score (combines all athletic test measurements and averages them among position) of 7/10 or greater seem to be quarterback's who you'd categorize as a truck (Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson). While recent quarterbacks with a RAS below 7 have already flamed out or have proven to be trailers - Baker Mayfield (4.71/10), Jared Goff (6.1) and Josh Rosen (6.87) are some good examples.

Looking at Davis Mills, he's below that magical number seven, scoring a 6.61/10 which corresponds with the eye test pretty well - he's not a horrible athlete, but he's just average. In addition, a crucial trait and something the RAS test doesn't account for is arm talent. As Carter said, quarterbacks are going to make mistakes, and if you're late on a read - like Mills often is - having that extra velocity on your throw can be the difference between a touchdown and an interception.

From watching Mills throw you wouldn't say he has a noodle arm but it's not a cannon like Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes or Justin Herbert have. It's not even on Deshaun Watson's level and is closer to a name I keep bringing up, Baker Mayfield. This average/slightly above average arm strength has hurt Mills so far as 4/8 of his INTs have been on late throws into a tight window, plus he's been very inaccurate deep down the field.

Per Sports Info Solutions Mills has attempted 16 "Deep" passes but completed just 4 of them - often due to under-throws - for an ugly 25% completion rate. Comparing that to the 2021 rookie class we see why I have concerns with Mills' ceiling in this regard. Trevor Lawrence's completion percentage on "Deep" passes is 43%, Wilson's is 48%, Fields' is 30% and Jones' is 28%.

The last trait I'll bring up is pocket management. Some of the exceptions to the "athletic quarterbacks have the best chance at success" argument like Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning all have elite mental traits. While that is something that can markedly improve over time (unlike athleticism), the pocket management aspect of the mental game is something that most quarterbacks show early, or never at all.

Davis Mills has shown some wiggle and ability to evade a defender, again, he's not horrible in this regard, but he's struggled to command the pocket and has been one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL in contributing to his own sacks.

These stats were compiled before the Texans faced the Rams in Week 8 - where Mills took a season high 5 sacks - so it wouldn't surprise me if he's at the top of this list the next time the data is compiled.

I find this stat particularly worrisome for Mills because of his play style. He's not a statue in the pocket but I don't think anyone would classify Mills' mobility and off-script playmaking in the same tier as Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes, let alone Justin Fields and Zach Wilson.

Those guys all make incredible plays with their legs, buying time and extending plays, which naturally leads to being more responsible for their sacks - think about Deshaun Watson taking sacks while playing a bit too much hero ball.

You live with those sacks from Watson and even Wilson and Fields because you know, more often than not, they are going to make the right play and a drive-altering play at that. Conversely, Mills is best from within the pocket, not outside of it and thus the sacks he's responsible for are more indicative of poor quarterback play. Watch the film of Mills and you'll see that he'll hold onto the ball for too long after missing a read, or escape the pocket unnecessarily due to a lack of composure under pressure.

We've seen more and more elite athletes at quarterback who had decision making issues in college, have major success at the NFL level. Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes are perfect examples of this thought and while Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields haven't lit the league on fire just yet, they have the elite athletic traits which put them on a similar projected trajectory.

Unfortunately, Mills has none of these traits, he's raw mentally due to his 11 collegiate starts at Stanford, is just an average athlete and has struggled to command the pocket. I'm tired of saying he has an average this and an average that. What is his elite trait that he can hang his hat on and find elite success with?

My point here is not that Mills is a bust but that his simply average stats and average traits will limit his ceiling to a trailer quarterback and that has historically killed NFL teams' chances at winning the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

We’re fine if Heinicke is back as a bridge. You could keep Gilbert around as your 3rd. No reason to draft 2 QB

Cool. Now let’s say we drop the ball and somehow don’t get a rookie that we feel is capable. 

Heinicke is our QB1 again. No thanks.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think 0% chance they'd bring back Bostic for anything other than being a backup.

Sheehan led Rivera to that water in an interview where he goes you guys missed Bostic more than people realize.  I don't think Rivera is going to respond with you know Kevin that's not true we were actually better off without him.   I do think as Rivera has pointed out, the thing they miss about Bostic is that he can call a defense.  While Rivera has pretty much put up billboards that Holcomb and Davis aren't Mike LB call defense guys albeit Holcomb got better at it as the season progressed.  But them hyping how Mayo playing, because he could call a defense and that helped Holcomb faster was the kicker to me.

The zillion ways Rivera has said getting a big time Mike LB on this team since the off season started doesn't even feel a little like hey we got that dude in house.  They seem as code Red about MLB as they do QB.  As for them talking themselves into something, I got zero fear its about Bostic, but I got a lot of fear at FS.  Rivera has talked up McCain plenty.  And rumors exist that they are trying to bring him back.  I do agree that McCain played better in the 2nd half but IMO he's just a guy, they could do better.

Speaking of Sheehan, like you I still like listening to him but what is it with him now being so obsessed about getting things right and glossing over the things he's gotten wrong?  Feels like he's turning into Skip Bayless on that front. :ols:  Now he's saying he's rooting for the Eagles to win this Sunday because that was a team he touted before the season.  And in other segments he talks about how further along the Eagles are as a team versus us (which is something other beat guys disagree with him about including Keim).

I can let go the Trask is better than Mac Jones stuff from him, since he didn't say it much.  But he said 50 million times in the preseason, the Giants are a sneaky good team and he thinks they will be good this season.  And he went on again and again and again about how Sam Darnold has "it".  Unless I missed a segment he hasn't owned up to be wrong about either thing.  And I'd let it go if he wasn't all about this Eagles stuff, and how right he was about that.  Yeah he was right that the Eagles ended up better than many expected.  But he was dead wrong about other stuff that apparently never happened.  Unless you heard a mea culpa from him about that, that I missed?:ols:. I still like Sheehan.  But in the past he'd own his mistakes/bad predictions.  We all miss.  It's cool.  But when I hear him harp on the Eagles to the extent that he wants them to win -- feels like he's off the deep end a little. :ols:

I like Sheehan too because he brings energy Galdi and others don’t. However, I agree with you. Add that to his bad takes on mediocre QBs. He was really out there on Daniel Jones early in the season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, method man said:

I like Sheehan too because he brings energy Galdi and others don’t. However, I agree with you. Add that to his bad takes on mediocre QBs. He was really out there on Daniel Jones early in the season

Lol, yeah forgot about Jones.  He also picked Barkley as either the best player in the East or the one who will have the most impact -- it was something like that.

And again, I don't mind people getting things wrong.  We all do.  But from what i recall in the past he would own his bad predictions.  This season as far as I can tell, nope.  And again i'd leave it alone if I didn't hear him multiple times tout how right he was about the Eagles recently -- and then to take it as far as rooting for them today -- that all feels very Bayless style to me. 😀

But overalll he's informed and has an entertaining show.  He's still the guy i try to catch every morning if I can. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd take him over Heinicke. But I am not excited about him.  I wouldn't think mission accomplished as for finding a franchise QB.

Good article IMO on him

https://texansunfiltered.com/read/davis-mills-is-the-most-dangerous-quarterback-in-the-nfl

With that being said, Davis Mills has had similarly poor and in my opinion, better team surroundings than the two quarterbacks he's arguably played better than - Wilson and Fields - which helps inflate his stats when comparing the three.

The biggest pro-Mills argument is that he's held back by play calling and I agree, but so have Fields and Wilson. It's clear that Tim Kelly runs the ball too much during neutral game scripts especially when the Texans are last in the NFL in rush offense DVOA (per Football Outsiders) plus Kelly has a fetish for WR screens that we fail to block well. Both of these factors do hurt Mills' chance at success as he's faced plenty of disadvantageous 3rd and long situations.

Similarly, Bears play caller Matt Nagy is a quarterback destroyer - not whisperer - who has set up Fields to fail by running an absurd amount of 5-wide formations (OL has no blocking help via RBs or TEs) which is mad-scientist-level-crazy when the Bears have the worst pass protecting offensive line in the NFL (per Football Outsiders). Nagy also fails to get Fields in rhythm with easy looks off of play action or bootlegs and is such a poor communicator that they told Fields he had a free play when he didn't, leading to an interception.

Furthermore, Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur is a rookie at leading an offense himself and has failed to scheme around Zach Wilson's strengths that he displayed at BYU - being allergic to play action, bootlegs and struggling to time and space those concepts properly when they do finally call them. LaFleur has simultaneously put too much on Wilson's plate, asking him to operate drop back passing concepts that require a veteran level of mental execution but also handicapping Wilson by calling plenty of throws behind the line of scrimmage (25 compared to Mills' 32) leading to poor yards/attempt (Wilson and Mills both average 6.5).

Apart from play calling, these three quarterbacks also do not have much talent around them, but I would argue that Mills has the best of the three offenses which helps boost his numbers. Starting with the offensive line and for as bad as the Texans has been at run blocking, they rank 19th in Football Outsiders "Pass Protection" metric whereas the Bears rank dead last in the NFL at 32nd and the Jets rank 30th.

Furthermore, Mills has the best wide receiver on the Texans, Bears or Jets - Brandin Cooks is on pace for another 1,000+ yard season and has an absurd catch rate of 73% (career high since rookie season). With how much rookie quarterbacks tend to lean on their WR1, Mills has a distinct advantage over both Fields (Allen Robinson has the least separation yards of his career) and Wilson (Corey Davis has missed two games and only has 50+ yards in two games). Their supporting casts are pretty comparable, with Mills having Nico Collins+Danny Amendola, Fields having Darnell Mooney+Marquise Goodwin and Wilson having Elijah Moore+Keelan Cole.

I bring these points up not to entirely discredit Mills' performance (he's been fairly average for a rookie) but to provide context which should cool down the talks that he is a better player than Fields and Wilson. Will he be one day? I can't rule that out, but if I asked you if you'd rather have Fields, Wilson or Mills as the Texans quarterback of the future, I think the answer to that question would display where the confidence in the room is leaning and leads to my next point.

Credit to Carter Donnick, who wrote a great piece for The Draft Network detailing what traits make a quarterback "Pro Ready". I highly recommend you check out the full article, but I'll summarize/paraphrase his thoughts as well.

Firstly, quarterbacks with great mobility tend to have a higher floor and are afforded more time to develop the mental side of the game because they aren't taking detrimental sacks that kill confidence and development. In addition, quarterbacks who have great athleticism - or at least an athletic trait to hang their hat on - have a huge initial advantage too. The following is a great excerpt, by Carter.

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 6.14.44 PM.png

Another nugget I found interesting is that recent quarterbacks who had a relative athletic score (combines all athletic test measurements and averages them among position) of 7/10 or greater seem to be quarterback's who you'd categorize as a truck (Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson). While recent quarterbacks with a RAS below 7 have already flamed out or have proven to be trailers - Baker Mayfield (4.71/10), Jared Goff (6.1) and Josh Rosen (6.87) are some good examples.

Looking at Davis Mills, he's below that magical number seven, scoring a 6.61/10 which corresponds with the eye test pretty well - he's not a horrible athlete, but he's just average. In addition, a crucial trait and something the RAS test doesn't account for is arm talent. As Carter said, quarterbacks are going to make mistakes, and if you're late on a read - like Mills often is - having that extra velocity on your throw can be the difference between a touchdown and an interception.

From watching Mills throw you wouldn't say he has a noodle arm but it's not a cannon like Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes or Justin Herbert have. It's not even on Deshaun Watson's level and is closer to a name I keep bringing up, Baker Mayfield. This average/slightly above average arm strength has hurt Mills so far as 4/8 of his INTs have been on late throws into a tight window, plus he's been very inaccurate deep down the field.

Per Sports Info Solutions Mills has attempted 16 "Deep" passes but completed just 4 of them - often due to under-throws - for an ugly 25% completion rate. Comparing that to the 2021 rookie class we see why I have concerns with Mills' ceiling in this regard. Trevor Lawrence's completion percentage on "Deep" passes is 43%, Wilson's is 48%, Fields' is 30% and Jones' is 28%.

The last trait I'll bring up is pocket management. Some of the exceptions to the "athletic quarterbacks have the best chance at success" argument like Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning all have elite mental traits. While that is something that can markedly improve over time (unlike athleticism), the pocket management aspect of the mental game is something that most quarterbacks show early, or never at all.

Davis Mills has shown some wiggle and ability to evade a defender, again, he's not horrible in this regard, but he's struggled to command the pocket and has been one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL in contributing to his own sacks.

These stats were compiled before the Texans faced the Rams in Week 8 - where Mills took a season high 5 sacks - so it wouldn't surprise me if he's at the top of this list the next time the data is compiled.

I find this stat particularly worrisome for Mills because of his play style. He's not a statue in the pocket but I don't think anyone would classify Mills' mobility and off-script playmaking in the same tier as Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes, let alone Justin Fields and Zach Wilson.

Those guys all make incredible plays with their legs, buying time and extending plays, which naturally leads to being more responsible for their sacks - think about Deshaun Watson taking sacks while playing a bit too much hero ball.

You live with those sacks from Watson and even Wilson and Fields because you know, more often than not, they are going to make the right play and a drive-altering play at that. Conversely, Mills is best from within the pocket, not outside of it and thus the sacks he's responsible for are more indicative of poor quarterback play. Watch the film of Mills and you'll see that he'll hold onto the ball for too long after missing a read, or escape the pocket unnecessarily due to a lack of composure under pressure.

We've seen more and more elite athletes at quarterback who had decision making issues in college, have major success at the NFL level. Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes are perfect examples of this thought and while Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields haven't lit the league on fire just yet, they have the elite athletic traits which put them on a similar projected trajectory.

Unfortunately, Mills has none of these traits, he's raw mentally due to his 11 collegiate starts at Stanford, is just an average athlete and has struggled to command the pocket. I'm tired of saying he has an average this and an average that. What is his elite trait that he can hang his hat on and find elite success with?

My point here is not that Mills is a bust but that his simply average stats and average traits will limit his ceiling to a trailer quarterback and that has historically killed NFL teams' chances at winning the Super Bowl.

I like Sheehan’s comp of Kirk Cousins but with better intangibles. Mills’s performance with just 11 college starts is what is impressive to me. I also look at how much better he looks now vs early in the season. I expect that he will continue to progress in the mental aspect of the game given his trajectory thus far and because of the Stanford background. There is value in Mills giving you average starter play on a 3rd round rookie deal for 3 more years. 

4 minutes ago, method man said:

I like Sheehan’s comp of Kirk Cousins but with better intangibles. Mills’s performance with just 11 college starts is what is impressive to me. I also look at how much better he looks now vs early in the season. I expect that he will continue to progress in the mental aspect of the game given his trajectory thus far and because of the Stanford background. There is value in Mills giving you average starter play on a 3rd round rookie deal for 3 more years. 

Am I missing something with Mills? Why do people think he won’t be a Texan? I know they’re hiring a new head coach, but he’s on a rookie deal and performed. Even if the Texans new head guy brings in another quarterback he is the kind of young guy almost any coach would want to keep around vs the value they’d get for him in a trade at this juncture. 

Just now, KDawg said:

Am I missing something with Mills? Why do people think he won’t be a Texan? I know they’re hiring a new head coach, but he’s on a rookie deal and performed. Even if the Texans new head guy brings in another quarterback he is the kind of young guy almost any coach would want to keep around vs the value they’d get for him in a trade at this juncture. 

They’d be foolish to trade him. The speculation is more that there is an opportunity for Houston to draft whichever QB they want with their top 5 pick. Perhaps, their new coach may want someone else. I doubt anything happens though

15 minutes ago, method man said:

I like Galdi over Sheehan, they are both at the top of local Nameless teams sports personalities 

1 minute ago, method man said:

They’d be foolish to trade him. The speculation is more that there is an opportunity for Houston to draft whichever QB they want with their top 5 pick. Perhaps, their new coach may want someone else. I doubt anything happens though

Even if they do exactly that… why trade the bridge? With how many backups play in the NFL having a capable one with a year of experience on a rookie deal and the second best performing rookie QB is fairly invaluable.

Just now, tomwvr said:

I like Galdi over Sheehan, they are both at the top of local Nameless teams sports personalities 

I like both and listen to both. If I have to pick one, I’m picking Sheehan because he is more charismatic and has better guests. 

Just now, KDawg said:

Even if they do exactly that… why trade the bridge? With how many backups play in the NFL having a capable one with a year of experience on a rookie deal and the second best performing rookie QB is fairly invaluable.

Because a team would give up at least a 2nd round pick for him and a desperate one may give up a 1st

1 minute ago, method man said:

I like both and listen to both. If I have to pick one, I’m picking Sheehan because he is more charismatic and has better guests. 

Because a team would give up at least a 2nd round pick for him and a desperate one may give up a 1st

I don’t see that happening. But who knows. 

I don’t think he was good enough for someone to throw a one at him. Maybe a 2… but even then I think that’s wishful thinking on the Texans end.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t see that happening. But who knows. 

I don’t think he was good enough for someone to throw a one at him. Maybe a 2… but even then I think that’s wishful thinking on the Texans end.

Knowing you have the guy on a rookie deal for the next 3 seasons, if you are the Steelers would you rather use your late 1st on potentially Desmond Ridder/Carson Strong or Davis Mills? 

5 minutes ago, method man said:

Knowing you have the guy on a rookie deal for the next 3 seasons, if you are the Steelers would you rather use your late 1st on potentially Desmond Ridder/Carson Strong or Davis Mills? 

If I were the Steelers I’d think I have a shot at one of the veteran guys. 

3 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

The problem is if you draft a QB and miss on it. It takes 3 or 4 years to figure it out how the QB will do. My impression last year was we would get stafford. We did not get Stafford. Then we did not draft a QB. What was this year then it feels like a total waste of a year.

We need to spend big on a mlb if we don't get a QB because that may improve the Defense enough to make up for rookie Qb.

Not necessarily.  You can draft guys like Rosen and Haskin and realize you blew it in less than two years.  🤣

Houston may well have 3 picks in the top 7 if the Giants somehow get Watson. In that scenario you more than likely have 2 QBs going top 5, maybe 2 QBs top 3. Goff sucks so why the hell the Lions would ignore QB is a mystery to me. 

At this rate I’ll have us trading up with the Jags :ols:

However, we need that big news to go with the re-branding launch. What better than getting hold of that #1 pick....:bye:

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If I were the Steelers I’d think I have a shot at one of the veteran guys. 

It's not their style to give up a lot of compensation for a veteran. Colbert is retiring but nothing leads me to below they will do a 180 vs how they have done things as an organization for decades

9 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Not necessarily.  You can draft guys like Rosen and Haskin and realize you blew it in less than two years.  🤣

Yeah but to recover from great picks like this take 3 to 4 years to recover.

4 minutes ago, method man said:

It's not their style to give up a lot of compensation for a veteran. Colbert is retiring but nothing leads me to below they will do a 180 vs how they have done things as an organization for decades

Bridgewater to steelers he is better then what they have now.

5 minutes ago, method man said:

So why would they be willing to give up a 1 for Davis Mills?