Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, SAli457180 said:

Rivera better be prepared to get shot down like he did with Stafford last year if he does go after Watson.  

Only people shooting him down, should he make that choice, is the Texans.

That is a very Snyder move. He'd love it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Sort of supports my Huntley + comments from yesterday. Go after a guy you think can take the current team to the playoffs while getting a future QB to groom. Might be tough to do in this draft, but trading a 4th rounder to the Ravens for Huntley and drafting a QB at #11 if there's a guy there they like accomplishes this.

Again with this Huntley stuff. What in the world makes you think Huntley could take the current team to the playoffs? The guy has started 4 games. Also, we aren't running an offense completely geared towards running QBs like the Ravens are, and Huntley is exactly that...a running QB. Though I see you've moved from a 2nd to a 4th for him, so that's something. I'm completely uninterested in him and IMO he makes no sense here as our offense is currently operated.

1 hour ago, Redwards said:

My main legit concern about Corral (aside from him running the scheme he does) is his weight.  The dude is 190 pounds.  There is no way anyone can convince me that a QB playing at that weight with Corral's build can last.  NFL LBs and DEs are bigger, stronger and faster than they have ever been.  Heck, WRs who are 190 or less are considered a legit risk...and they aren't getting pounded every other play.  Imagine a QB like Corral dropping back and getting popped over and over again like every QB does.  I just cannot see any way they guy can survive.  And again, his frame isn't going to support that much more muscle.  He's scrawnier than RGIII was.  

Where are you getting 190lbs from? He's listed as 6'2 205. I'm guessing he'll come in closer to 6'1 at the combine, but 205 isn't swizzle stick territory and there's no reason to believe he couldn't add another 10-15lbs if need be.

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Again with this Huntley stuff. What in the world makes you think Huntley could take the current team to the playoffs? The guy has started 4 games. Also, we aren't running an offense completely geared towards running QBs like the Ravens are, and Huntley is exactly that...a running QB. Though I see you've moved from a 2nd to a 4th for him, so that's something. I'm completely uninterested in him and IMO he makes no sense here as our offense is currently operated.

Where are you getting 190lbs from? He's listed as 6'2 205. I'm guessing he'll come in closer to 6'1 at the combine, but 205 isn't swizzle stick territory and there's no reason to believe he couldn't add another 10-15lbs if need be.

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I dont get the Huntley stuff either

Hey, he likes him.

I'm not sure where the Rivera interview led him to believe anything on Huntley after listening to it other than his own desire to get Huntley for some reason.

I don't get it at all, either, though. He's not that much better of an option than Heinicke.

• Like 1

I think the Watson move is the move. He will get moved before new year because of his 35 million dollar bonus payment due before new season. We have dline men they want and can't resign. This is arguable the best QB we would ever had in this organization. It's a gamble thought. If not it will be a rookie and Mariota Trubisky Bridgewater type. If we get Watson and MLB we are an 11 win team.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Hey, he likes him.

Replace Huntley with "upside placeholder" that isn't 38 (Fitzpatrick) and not relying on Heinecke to be the stopgap.

Huntley is just a young guy that MIGHT be more than a stopgap. He's shown some impressive flashes and I read a couple places where personnel people are really high on his potential.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think the Watson move is the move. He will get moved before new year because of his 35 million dollar bonus payment due before new season. We have dline men they want and can't resign. This is arguable the best QB we would ever had in this organization. It's a gamble thought. If not it will be a rookie and Mariota Trubisky Bridgewater type. If we get Watson and MLB we are an 11 win team.

I can't believe I'm going to say this...

Trubisky/Mariota/Bridgewater > Uncleared Watson.

If we give up multiple 1s and players and Watson is in legal turmoil and never really plays... that may be it for me. 

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I can't believe I'm going to say this...

Trubisky/Mariota/Bridgewater > Uncleared Watson.

If we give up multiple 1s and players and Watson is in legal turmoil and never really plays... that may be it for me. 

He got to get cleared first I agree. What you think we would have to give up to get him.I think Sweat,Payne, and first would due it. I think us , New Orleans, Denver, and Carolina are only teams in on him.. We can't bet denver picks but we have better offers then the other teams.

Also, once the Qb start moving we may get an opportunity for a player we did not think would become available.

5 minutes ago, zskins said:

It would be a miracle if Watson is cleared before the draft and the league doesn't suspend him with multiple games afterwards. 

Got to get an answer on that to. If he is not criminally changed he may not be suspended. I dont think anyone trading for him without being cleared first, at least not a good deal. I saw somewhere if he is not traded before the start of new year they may release him before paying him the 35 million dollar bonus.

Edited by Redskins 2021

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

He got to get cleared first I agree. What you think we would have to give up to get him.I think Sweat,Payne, and first would due it. I think us , New Orleans, Denver, and Carolina are only teams in on him.. We can't bet denver picks but we have better offers then the other teams.

Also, once the Qb start moving we may get an opportunity for a player we did not think would become available.

Got to get an answer on that to. If he not criminally changes he may not be suspended.

I think they want 3 firsts and 2 first round caliber players.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Replace Huntley with "upside placeholder" that isn't 38 (Fitzpatrick) and not relying on Heinecke to be the stopgap.

Huntley is just a young guy that MIGHT be more than a stopgap. He's shown some impressive flashes and I read a couple places where personnel people are really high on his potential.

Huntley is that guy year 1 when you are trying to evaluate the organization. Not year 3 when you have to start putting good things together 

Just now, mistertim said:

Yeah no way would Sweat, Payne and a 1st work. I'm guessing the minimum buy-in bet would be 2 1sts + multiple starters. So maybe Sweat, Payne, and 2 1sts. 

But that would probably only be our initial offer. They'd probably want more.

Who would have a better offer then that other then Denver. 

I don't know, the Texans have firmly moved on after sitting him all year and I can't see them getting so many picks this off-season. Maybe last off-season, but with the legal situation up in the air still, and the two primary players from last off-season with picks ... the Eagles and Dolphins ... both teams now have fairly safe starters in place. That leaves the Football Team, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Denver ... as possible landing spots and nobody has multiple 1s this year and I can't see anyone really going3  years out with their 1sts. I think it would be Payne + 1st this year, 2nd this year, 1st in 2023

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Who would have a better offer then that other then Denver. 

This is a 26 year old top 5 NFL QB. Someone like that hitting the trade market is pretty much unprecedented. Assuming a few other teams are in the pool, the offers could get pretty crazy pretty fast. I'm guessing someone would offer 3 1sts plus multiple starters or 3 1sts plus multiple 2nds, etc.

Don't underestimate how much people will pay for a QB in today's NFL. Hell, the Niners gave up 3 1sts just to move up and draft a super raw rookie.

• Like 1

Good interview, though there was the usual coach spin.  I do think we will look at all options at QB.   I think Ron was alluding to regarding a drafting a qb; will the fanbase be patient?  Will the owner be patient.  If we go that route, will he get time to see whether that QB is successful or not?   I don't know if that will actually play into the decision, whether we draft a qb or not.

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I don't know, the Texans have firmly moved on and I can't see them getting so many picks. The two primary targets with picks were the Eagles and Dolphins and both teams now have fairly safe starters in place. That leaves the Football Team, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Denver ... as possible landing spots and nobody has multiple 1s this year and I can't see anyone really going3  years out with their 1sts. I think it would be Payne + 1st this year, 2nd this year, 1st in 2023

Fair point, but I think it also depends on whether Watson will expand the list of teams he'd be willing to drop his no-trade clause for. If he's willing to do that, then the floodgates open. If he's not, then you're right and they may not be able to get nearly what they could otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Good interview, though there was the usual coach spin.  I do think we will look at all options at QB.   I think Ron was alluding to regarding a drafting a qb; will the fanbase be patient?  Will the owner be patient.  If we go that route, will he get time to see whether that QB is successful or not?   I don't know if that will actually play into the decision, whether we draft a qb or not.

Ron gets to some point of the 2023 season. After that is firing or extension. 

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Fair point, but I think it also depends on whether Watson will expand the list of teams he'd be willing to drop his no-trade clause for. If he's willing to do that, then the floodgates open. If he's not, then you're right and they may not be able to get nearly what they could otherwise.

Only team he cleared it for was Miami so far. I could see PITTSBURGH getting in but they don't have players. Someone yesterday said he said no to phil but gave wash the ok. Floodgates could open but its risky. Its worth it for us. We will not be getting anyone this good without there being some problems. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

Huntley?!

What the heck did I miss? 

I love Tyler Huntley as a backup for Lamar, but he's not a starting caliber QB. He doesn't have the arm for it. IMO, he's a more athletic version of Heinicke, but maybe less accurate. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Don't underestimate how much people will pay for a QB in today's NFL. Hell, the Niners gave up 3 1sts just to move up and draft a super raw rookie.

I don't know. He has the character and legal red flags still up in the air. Even if it gets settled out, that's a demarcation.

Can we point to a recent situation where a Top 5 QB was traded? Wentz and Stafford could have been seen as Top 10 and Top 15 respectively.

Wentz was traded for a 3rd and future 2nd that ultimately became a 1st

Stafford was traded for 2 #1s, a 3rd and Goff. Could argue that Goff was of roughly neutral value in the trade, given his contract but also potential upside as a reclaimed starter.

Watson most certainly falls closer to the Stafford return, maybe a bit more given his age and mobility ... but the demarcation for his legal issues would move him closer to Stafford IMO than a 3 #1s, 3 #2s and a premier player.

I think Payne, #1 and #2 this year and #1 next year get it done.

Problem with this path, though, is Watson would eat up a decent chunk of your available cap space. And you'd be waiting until Round 3 to be able to draft any contributors. So you get hit with the inability to draft elite talent and probably wont' be able to sign elite talent. So you'd be entering 2022 with roughly the same roster give or take a couple players + Watson at QB.

• Thumb up 3