Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Being 36 I am too young to remember the glory years. My fandom consist of mostly pain. I have not been as emotionally invested in this team the last few years because I was tired of losses defining my mood for most of the week. Despite our record I feel hope for this team and find myself actually tearing up a bit reading some of the positive commentary on Sam. Have we found our guy finally? It's kinda feeling that way. God I hope so!

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do think if he went in the first or even 2nd round, he'd be viewed differently.  Here's a scout before the draft talking about him.  I just posted this elsewhere but figure it belongs better here, I cut if off even though it was more praise because an expletive was in that mix.

Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 8.49.19 AM.png

Good report.

I really enjoy doing draft work and remember this draft specifically due to need at QB. I am not some oracle and get stuff wrong as well but had Howell first. When watching the Qb that year, he was the only one to actually read a defense. Coral was schemed up and Pickett was 1,2 scramble right. I believe I had him in the late 20’s early 30’s but could justify taking him first round due to need.

I understand everyone’s hesitation on getting behind Howell. We’ve been let down so many times. Lavar, RG3, Chase Young and so on. After taking finally making changes at center and LG, we are finally getting to see the real Sam Howell. He can really sling it and Washington should do everything they can to build a wall in front of him. 

8 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

Don’t know if this hasn’t been said yet but we really need to start KJ Henry. He’s bigger and faster than Toohill and James and you could see that easily when he sacked Jones . 

Also looks like tackles will be the only need next off-season, think Larsen/Stromberg can hold the center position for a long while  and Chris Paul is our long term LG. 

DE and and LT should be our top biggest next in 2024.

He's not faster than either one but its super close.  Williams is slightly bigger.  Toohill slightly smaller.  but all three similar size.  Smith-Williams-Toolhill at least by RAS measures are better athletes than Henry.  But as to the overall point, I think he will get more chances.  From people at camp, most of them said he had a quiet camp where he didn't really stand out so that's probably why he hasn't had many chances as for backup reps up to now.  Some talk back then that he might not even make the team.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I wish we had just bit the bullet and started him last year. I mean after half a season he's already clearly better than anything we've had since Cousins. Imagine how much better he'd be right now if he had been the starter from last year.

They still would have went back to Wince once he was healthy.  

10 hours ago, Conn said:

If Howell gets those turnovers down and he and the play calling keep the sacks down…look at the comments here about Strouds development and what a stud he is. Part of that is situational football and being clutch. We’ve seen that from Howell in flashes (though what Stroud did today is special).

Anyways, this post isn’t about comparing Howell to Stroud. Simply that if Howell keeps up this production while continuing to cut down on turnovers, he’s going to be seen as a very good, unquestioned franchise-caliber young QB. 

Glad I started Strouds this week, he came out after the by week firing the ball. It was impressive the way he led the comeback.  Howell has a lot of the same talents.

52 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I'm still in the "wait and see but he's trending upwards" camp on Howell, but can stop pretending that the Patriots aren't putrid on defense?  I don't think yesterday's game should be used as any indication that he's definitely the guy.  I would have said both Eagles games were much better barometers to use.  

Howell tied with Tua threw for the most yards against the Pats defense all season (both had 325 yds).  Ahead of Hurts, Prescott, and Allen.  I also counted multiple drop passes.  The NFL is week to week, but the Pats defense isn't putrid.  

• Like 3

I’m watching ESPN and todays trivia question revealed that Baker Mayfield broke Dan Marino’s record for most TD passes by a rookie.  I bring this up to because 1) Howell’s skill set/physique is very similar to Mayfeld’s and 2) some of y’all may wanna pump the brakes a little bit with this corny “10 games ZOMG!!!” nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I’m watching ESPN and todays trivia question revealed that Baker Mayfield broke Dan Marino’s record for most TD passes by a rookie.  I bring this up to because 1) Howell’s skill set/physique is very similar to Mayfeld’s and 2) some of y’all may wanna pump the brakes a little bit with this corny “10 games ZOMG!!!” nonsense.

I think Howell's best case is Baker without the dbag attitude.

A healthy Baker Mayfield is a darn good QB. People forgot he won a playoff game for the freaking BROWNS.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

A healthy Baker Mayfield is a darn good QB. People forgot he won a playoff game for the freaking BROWNS.

I agree.  But Baker took too many sacks and it derailed his upward trajectory.

You can see where this is going.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I kinda like that Dbag attitude in a quarterback tho.  Maybe Howell should hang out with Draymond Green a little bit this off-season?

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

That is shocking.

He should probably be getting first team reps at LG though.

Dude couldn't call the protections. I want to assume its why the Giants dropped him. I feel like I remember Danny Dimes taking a bunch of sacks for a few years too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Dude couldn't call the protections. I want to assume its why the Giants dropped him. I feel like I remember Danny Dimes taking a bunch of sacks for a few years too. 

The shocking thing was sarcasm. I've been pretty vocal about what a bad move it was since day one.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

The shocking thing was sarcasm. I've been pretty vocal about what a bad move it was since day one.

Oh I know it was sarcasm I just wanted to help you pile on the turd. 

I thought it was a good move when it happened. I tell yall all the time I don't know anything. Its nice to be proven right 

• Haha 2

I am getting irritated hearing that Sam is "playing so much better" the past 2 games. Sam is the same QB he was 3 games ago.

It's EB that is calling games much better. Playing to his offenses strengths, not weaknesses.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I am getting irritated hearing that Sam is "playing so much better" the past 2 games. Sam is the same QB he was 3 games ago.

It's EB that is calling games much better. Playing to his offenses strengths, not weaknesses.

He seems to be getting rid of the ball faster for the long developing plays, is looking to Jahan more and is sliding more when he runs

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Benching Gates and Charles being injured made a HUGE difference for Sam. Yesterday was the same ole bad play calling that we've seen most of the year. Maybe slightly better, but still too many head scratchers, end zone shots when we just needed a first down and absolutely laughable run play design.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Both are true I think. EB is for sure getting better. Still has a ways to go and its obvious now why no one wanted him as HC when he was clearly not even ready to run an offense by himself yet. 

Sam is getting better though. I mean that is also to be expected. He only has 10 starts. Him getting better is the expectation and he is exceeding it. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, method man said:

He seems to be getting rid of the ball faster for the long developing plays, is looking to Jahan more and is sliding more when he runs

Good point. Someone pointed out poor mechanics in the game throwing off his back foot... I think he is simply lofting those deep balls vs throwing on a rope on the long developing plays. You don't need full proper Brady mechanics on a loft. EB is calling plays giving him places to go with the ball on all plays regardless of pass rush/blitzes.  That presume includes specific loft pass calls. EB re-invented his pass play calling 2 weeks ago.

Edited by RandyHolt

17 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

True, but he also had a legitimately bad game against the Giants. He almost made up for it with the near comeback, but he was still really really bad in that game.

Since then he has been much better, as has EB's playcalling. The two go hand in hand for sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Anyone who complains about Howell at this point, just wants to complain and create arguments. 

He's proving that he is everything that some of us thought he was and then some.

You can point to just about any other unit and be critical.

Even with his flaws he is sooooo far down the list of problems with this team it isn't even worth discussing at this point outside of the normal QB dynamic.

• Like 4