Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Saw that wide open T Mac route live, like no way to miss that

the combo of wentz and turner is awful, I actually think turner might be worse. How the hell do we not have checks/ audibles and hot routes. The slant is pretty much always there and we have huge RAC guys… I’ve seen one in the last 5 weeks it seems 

44 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Terry’s wide open and I get that’s the point.  But JD has to catch that, right?  Sets up a second and short.

Its not an easy catch. He has to extend his arms diagonally and jump kinda just for it to barely hit his finger tips. Its a terrible throw.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Terry’s wide open and I get that’s the point.  But JD has to catch that, right?  Sets up a second and short.

Let's assume he catches that he would have been tackled right away. Whereas Terry is wide open and no one near by and that would have been an easy 1st down and then some. 

10 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Saw that wide open T Mac route live, like no way to miss that

the combo of wentz and turner is awful, I actually think turner might be worse. How the hell do we not have checks/ audibles and hot routes. The slant is pretty much always there and we have huge RAC guys… I’ve seen one in the last 5 weeks it seems 

Turner is worse. The offense even with the OL issues should be much better.

We finally ran a quick slant to McLaurin yesterday. I think that was the first one all year. And it got an easy first down.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I guess, but it’s not great throw either.  We went from Heineke lobbing hot air balloons to Wentz errantly firing every pass out of a cannon.

Guess Irsay and Ballard were right after all... lol

• Like 1

It was a really odd game. The first two drives Carson's only potential pass attempts ended up in sacks where he didn't even have time to plant his plant leg. The game as bad as it was, was somewhat quick because both teams tried running the ball alot and the Bears had several long drives. Wentz didn't have many chances in the first half to do anything due to field position and sacks and when he did in the second half he made a great read and a pass that should have been caught for a 40 yard TD. Even Kirk Herbstreit mentioned on several third downs that nobody was open.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We’re they really though?

He looks worse here, much worse, than he did there.

And they thought Matt Ryan was a massive upgrade that was going to take them to the playoffs and beyond.

Yes they were right in trading him because they knew he didn't have it anymore and got a sucker to give them draft picks and take all of his salary. It has nothing to do w/ Matt  Ryan and everything to do w/ a QB who isn't good anymore. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tundra scout said:

It was a really odd game. The first two drives Carson's only potential pass attempts ended up in sacks where he didn't even have time to plant his plant leg. The game as bad as it was, was somewhat quick because both teams tried running the ball alot and the Bears had several long drives. Wentz didn't have many chances in the first half to do anything due to field position and sacks and when he did in the second half he made a great read and a pass that should have been caught for a 40 yard TD. Even Kirk Herbstreit mentioned on several third downs that nobody was open.

That’s been the routine though.  Offense starts out with the 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississ- sack drives, atleast twice to start each game.  Wentz then becomes a shell of his former self.  

Scott’s 3rd down playcalling leaves a lot to be desired, as KH was correct - nothing there.  However his third down playcalling suffers from his weak playcalling on 1st and 2nd downs as well.

Generally speaking, Wentz and Turner is a match made in hell.

2 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Yes they were right in trading him because they knew he didn't have it anymore and got a sucker to give them draft picks and take all of his salary. It has nothing to do w/ Matt  Ryan and everything to do w/ a QB who isn't good anymore. 

And then they traded for Matt Ryan, another QB who is not good anymore.  Kudos to them.

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

Is it even remotely possible that Turner's boring and bland play calling is because he doesn't have any faith whatsoever in Wentz?  Seems so bizarre that this offense couldn't score (or even move the ball effectively) against the Bears.

How many more excuses is he going to get though? He can’t keep getting chances just cause of “oh, my QB was the problem this season, wait till you see what I can REALLY do with a different QB!”

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Is it even remotely possible that Turner's boring and bland play calling is because he doesn't have any faith whatsoever in Wentz?  Seems so bizarre that this offense couldn't score (or even move the ball effectively) against the Bears.

The playcalling is drastically different than it was week one.  A lot of presnap movement, moving Samuel around.  Since that time, the offense has been bland.  But the offense has been bland the majority of Turners time in charge.  For every clip where Wentz doesnt see an open guy there are 3 with no options.  I said last night it almost seems he’s purposely sabotaging the offense as so many times, the play he calls has no chance even if everyone on the offense plays it optimally.

Interesting last night that Fitz said Turner's offense was "plug and play" meaning no adjustment to a QB's strengths yet Jay Gruden on The Junkies this morning said every OC will adapt to the strengths of their QB and kind of dismissed that.

Also, I thought about someone to bring in to consult about the stale offense before it was brought up on The Junkies this morning but Lurch said Norv Turner is a guy Scott relies on to bounce stuff off of and talks to him all the time.  Lurch supposedly knows this because Turner lives in his neighborhood.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Interesting last night that Fitz said Turner's offense was "plug and play" meaning no adjustment to a QB's strengths yet Jay Gruden on The Junkies this morning said every OC will adapt to the strengths of their QB and kind of dismissed that.

Also, I thought about someone to bring in to consult about the stale offense before it was brought up on The Junkies this morning but Lurch said Norv Turner is a guy Scott relies on to bounce stuff off of and talks to him all the time.  Lurch supposedly knows this because Turner lives in his neighborhood.

We didn't get to see much of him, but Fitz looked like he was going to struggle in this offense last year too from the brief times we saw him. 

Good news is Rivera isnt unecessarily stubborn in sticking with his guys... oh wait, we're stuck with this **** 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

How many more excuses is he going to get though? He can’t keep getting chances just cause of “oh, my QB was the problem this season, wait till you see what I can REALLY do with a different QB!”

This is exactly what everyone was saying last season.  If he got a legit starter, the offense would be explosive.  This offense has not had a legit starter in it yet.

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is exactly what everyone was saying last season.  If he got a legit starter, the offense would be explosive.  This offense has not had a legit starter in it yet.

Go get Jimmy G this offseason, draft another guy, let the rook and Howell battle it out with Heinicke for the #2 and #3 spots.

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

I was hoping wentz would be that legit starter. But at the same time….Daniel jones isn’t a legit starter, and the giants seem to be doing ok. At some point, Turner NEEDS to figure this **** out with what he’s got. He can’t keep falling on the excuse that he needs a legit starter to make his offense work. 

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I was hoping wentz would be that legit starter. But at the same time….Daniel jones isn’t a legit starter, and the giants seem to be doing ok. At some point, Turner NEEDS to figure this **** out with what he’s got. He can’t keep falling on the excuse that he needs a legit starter to make his offense work. 

After last night I'm done blaming Turner. Wentz is HORRIBLE. Guys are getting open and he is locking onto reads, sailing the ball, or scrambling with his cement shoes and running into sacks. Can't fault Turner for that level of incompetence. 

The play is clearly designed for McKissic.

I assume Carson expected McKissic to go inside since the defender had outside leverage, but for whatever reason he didn’t.

Guy gets killed for holding the ball too long, first read looks good, and you want him to move to the next read?

What about damn near every 3rd down play, where there was zero places to go with the ball?

That’s not defending Wentz, he’s a statue with no touch these days.  But that play is not some glaring example of how bad he is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The play is clearly designed for McKissic.

I assume Carson expected McKissic to go inside since the defender had outside leverage, but for whatever reason he didn’t.

Guy gets killed for holding the ball too long, first read looks good, and you want him to move to the next read?

What about damn near every 3rd down play, where there was zero places to go with the ball?

That’s not defending Wentz, he’s a statue with no touch these days.  But that play is not some glaring example of how bad he is.

The play is clearly designed to go to McKissic? Hmmm..    Let's just say for the argument it was designed that way. It still doesn't excuse a pitiful throw that a d3 QB could make, yet Wentz can't make it - and then misses perhaps his 2nd read break wide wide open.. smh..  

3 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I can't recall the offense being this bad with Alex Smith or TH.  I find myself holding my breath everything Wentz drops back.  He looks so out of sorts.  His pocket presence is horrid.  There was one sack where the guard loses right away.  Not good of course.  But I've seen Smith or TH sidestep and allow the defender's momentum to carry him out of the play.  Wentz stepped right into it.  His peripheral vision is crap.  It's almost like he's far-sighted at something.  Cause he often seems surprised by a defender.  Could be mental I suppose.  Regardless, there's something really off with him.

• Like 1