Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

TH doesn't have the arm strength to make NFL throws. He does fine on unscripted stuff and can make an incredible escape from time to time.

You can't build a NFL offense around unscripted plays. And you can't build a NFL offense around a guy that can't make NFL throws. 

Vegas fired their GM. Go get Carr.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

Cousins would need a contract extension and restructuring as part of the deal. We all know how that goes with him. I dont know about him as an option because of how he left but wouldn't be devistated if were back. He almost single handedly ruined the Vikings with his big contract though.

And that's why the Vikings got rid of their GM.  Rick has drafted some good players but he wiffed on the #1 position and that ultimately cost him, his job when Kirk failed to produce.

1 minute ago, daveakl said:

TH doesn't have the arm strength to make NFL throws. He does fine on unscripted stuff and can make an incredible escape from time to time.

You can't build a NFL offense around unscripted plays. And you can't build a NFL offense around a guy that can't make NFL throws. 

Vegas fired their GM. Go get Carr.

I think it's 50/50  on carr availability. Oc gone to from Las Vegas. I like are chances alot more then this morning.

3 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

And that's why the Vikings got rid of their GM.  Rick has drafted some good players but he wiffed on the #1 position and that ultimately cost him, his job when Kirk failed to produce.

What if team who trades for Kirk extended him would that change money situation.

5 hours ago, Theismann to HOF said:

Jimmy G almost cost the 49ers the game last night with that disastrous INT he threw in the 4th quarter, which gave Dallas new life.  Jimmy G's decision-making and throws are very questionable at times.

Personally, I'm taking Heinicke over Jimmy G.  Heinicke is currently the best QB bargain in the league.  The WFT would probably have to pay Jimmy G at least $20M per year and he is not worth it in my opinion.

Jimmy isn't a great QB but he did take the 49ers to a Superbowl. When he actually plays, the 49ers have won more than lost and they still have a poor record when he hasn't played.  Jimmy is better than Taylor.

2 minutes ago, Jds0912 said:

Any chance we get Carr and Pickett/Corral falls to us? What a dream. That’d almost make me wanna go get a massage with Robert Kraft and Deshaun Watson. 

I think you'd have to give LV the pick (1st round pick) to get Carr.

Edited by daveakl
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jds0912 said:

Any chance we get Carr and Pickett/Corral falls to us? What a dream. That’d almost make me wanna go get a massage with Robert Kraft and Deshaun Watson. 

Probably have to give up first round pick for Carr. Any chance 49ers release Jimmy G and we can sign him right off street. Most team can not pay his salary.

Edited by Redskins 2021

7 minutes ago, Jds0912 said:

Zero  chance imo, Trey Lance is nowhere near being ready to be the starter and why would the Raiders trade Carr? Only we get rid of starting caliber quarterbacks.

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Zero  chance imo, Trey Lance is nowhere near being ready to be the starter and why would the Raiders trade Carr? Only we get rid of starting caliber quarterbacks.

You’re probably right but damn, imagine having a solid veteran qb and a good prospect learning behind him. This fanbase has never seen that. 

1 minute ago, Jds0912 said:

You’re probably right but damn, imagine having a solid veteran qb and a good prospect learning behind him. This fanbase has never seen that. 

Correct its depressing also watching former coaching staff kill it in the playoffs is even more depressing

3 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Correct its depressing also watching former coaching staff kill it in the playoffs is even more depressing

Sean Mcvay, great guy. Very handsome. Got his autograph after a game years back. He might be 5’7 tops. Wish he was our coach though. I guarantee he would’ve found us a franchise qb by now. 

Derek Carr is okay, though I think overrated by many on this board. He's in that Kirk Cousins tier of guys that put up numbers, but don't seem to win very much. Those teams always seem to be looking for an upgrade, which is what the Raiders did for years. But it's hard to find a good QB and Carr just keeps chugging along. That said, I'm hard pressed to believe the next Raiders GM/coach will voluntarily trade away the one player that keeps the Raiders semi-decent. It's not a good look for the franchise to take a huge step back when you get hired. I'd also says its very questionable to trade significant assets for a QB that will be 31 next year. Historically, QBs take their first step back at age 31, with the second big drop off at 34. Brunell, McNabb, and Alex Smith were all 34 when acquired, so I suppose getting a 31 year old is a small step forward. But trading a first (or more) for Carr is basically selling out for mediocrity for a few years.

Jimmy G is okay. Another player overrated by many some of this board. But super injury prone and actually fairly turnover prone. There's a reason SF runs and runs and runs. He's an okay fill in, but given all his limitations I wouldn't want to give up that much for him. Shouldn't be more than a 2nd rounder, and even that might be too rich.

Rodgers is a future HOFer still playing at a high level. I really see no reason for him to leave GB. If he somehow forces his way out, Washington has to be way down the list of destinations. Some place like Pittsburgh would make more sense.

Wilson turns 34 next year, which is somewhat concerning given the Brunell/McNabb/Smith moves. I also wonder if his small stature will catch up with him in terms of taking all those hits. As a comparison, Roethlisberger's last good year was at age 36. But Wilson is clearly several tiers above a Jimmy G type. The question is for how long? I'd be hesitant to give up a ton if I wasn't on the cusp on winning. Also, with Wilson, it's a two way street. With a no trade clause, he can basically pick his destination. I'm guessing it's not here.

There's plausibly Cousins. For obvious reasons, I doubt this comes to pass. Minnesota also has the same issues as the Raiders. What does the next coach/GM want to do with Cousins? The fact Minnesota did not make the playoffs this year (while Vegas did) and Cousins' crazy cap hit do make moving him more likely something happens. But again, I  don't see it happening here.

Matt Ryan will be 37 next year. If Washington somehow got him, I'd expect him to show up washed up and be a complete disappointment.

Watson. A wild card in terms of legal issues. Some write him off on moral grounds. And he also has a no trade clause. But he's the one guy still young enough that you'd easily get 5-6 years out of him (and plausibly a lot more). He's also a clear tier above most of the other options except Rodgers and Wilson. But he's really the only option of a real answer that isn't just settling for mediocrity or trying to squeeze one more year out of a future HOFer.

If you don't like any of those, they you hope and pray someone you like is available in the draft.

10 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Derek Carr is okay, though I think overrated by many on this board. He's in that Kirk Cousins tier of guys that put up numbers, but don't seem to win very much. Those teams always seem to be looking for an upgrade, which is what the Raiders did for years. But it's hard to find a good QB and Carr just keeps chugging along. That said, I'm hard pressed to believe the next Raiders GM/coach will voluntarily trade away the one player that keeps the Raiders semi-decent. It's not a good look for the franchise to take a huge step back when you get hired. I'd also says its very questionable to trade significant assets for a QB that will be 31 next year. Historically, QBs take their first step back at age 31, with the second big drop off at 34. Brunell, McNabb, and Alex Smith were all 34 when acquired, so I suppose getting a 31 year old is a small step forward. But trading a first (or more) for Carr is basically selling out for mediocrity for a few years.

Jimmy G is okay. Another player overrated by many some of this board. But super injury prone and actually fairly turnover prone. There's a reason SF runs and runs and runs. He's an okay fill in, but given all his limitations I wouldn't want to give up that much for him. Shouldn't be more than a 2nd rounder, and even that might be too rich.

Rodgers is a future HOFer still playing at a high level. I really see no reason for him to leave GB. If he somehow forces his way out, Washington has to be way down the list of destinations. Some place like Pittsburgh would make more sense.

Wilson turns 34 next year, which is somewhat concerning given the Brunell/McNabb/Smith moves. I also wonder if his small stature will catch up with him in terms of taking all those hits. As a comparison, Roethlisberger's last good year was at age 36. But Wilson is clearly several tiers above a Jimmy G type. The question is for how long? I'd be hesitant to give up a ton if I wasn't on the cusp on winning. Also, with Wilson, it's a two way street. With a no trade clause, he can basically pick his destination. I'm guessing it's not here.

There's plausibly Cousins. For obvious reasons, I doubt this comes to pass. Minnesota also has the same issues as the Raiders. What does the next coach/GM want to do with Cousins? The fact Minnesota did not make the playoffs this year (while Vegas did) and Cousins' crazy cap hit do make moving him more likely something happens. But again, I  don't see it happening here.

Matt Ryan will be 37 next year. If Washington somehow got him, I'd expect him to show up washed up and be a complete disappointment.

Watson. A wild card in terms of legal issues. Some write him off on moral grounds. And he also has a no trade clause. But he's the one guy still young enough that you'd easily get 5-6 years out of him (and plausibly a lot more). He's also a clear tier above most of the other options except Rodgers and Wilson. But he's really the only option of a real answer that isn't just settling for mediocrity or trying to squeeze one more year out of a future HOFer.

If you don't like any of those, they you hope and pray someone you like is available in the draft.

Carr and Jimmy G fit all the boxes we need to be competitive for next 5 years. Watson big risk big reward. Any of these 3 could get us 10 wins a year.

Edited by Redskins 2021

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Yea I put carr on the same level as cousins. It would be nice to know we have a qb that’ll at least lead us to a .500 season for several years. He’s probably the best qb we can realistically get via trade or free agency (some people in this thread might put Mariota and Trubisky ahead of him). Wishfully thinking, it would be nice if we could get him and one of the top qbs in this class to sit behind him for a few years like Rodgers did. I know it’s not gonna happen but that’s best case scenario outside of getting Rodgers himself. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

If you legitimately believe Heinicke is a better QB than Matthew Stafford then....I don't know there is just no debating with you. You can't argue with someone who lives in an alternate reality.

Four Pick 6 INTs in one season.  Yes, I believe Heinicke is better.  He makes fewer disastrous mistakes.

Stafford would be 4 - 13 at best if he played on the WFT.  And the Rams would be better with Heinicke.

19 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Carr and Jimmy G fit all the boxes we need to be competitive for next 5 years. Watson big risk big reward. Any of these 3 could get us 10 wins a year.

Carr is on about the same level as Heinicke, but a lot more expensive.  Jimmy G is definitely not an upgrade over Heinicke.

And Wilson is not the same player.  He looked very ordinary against the WFT.  It would be a huge mistake to spend a lot on him.  At this point in Wilson's career, Heinicke is better.

Edited by Theismann to HOF
addition