Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition) - Washin @TL

KDawg

Why would fans hate shotgun runs in 3rd and 4th and short?  You have to lighten the box and disguise the play.  Teams routinely run from shotgun on downs as long as 3rd and 6 at the college level and have success doing so.  Running from shotgun in short and goal to go situations is vanilla play calling now.

• Like 1

Listened to Rivera today.  Between him and Scott Turner they seem really jazzed about Ricky Seals-Jones.  When Sheehan asked Rivera for a player who has surprised him in a good way, he cited him.  Turner talked him up the other day, too. 

On another note, between listening to Bobby Herbert talk about it, saying he's spoken to NO people behind the scenes, and Rivera himself, sounds like Winston has been underwhelming so far.  Herbert saying more or less that what he's hearing is that Payton isn't high on Winston based on what he's heard and he expects them to go elsewhere at QB next season.   And Rivera who typically overpraises the QB coming up next, really struggled to complement Winston.   Winston is averaging 150 yards a game.  

My point is if Winston has a get right game this Sunday, that won't look hot for this defense.  He's thus far easily the worst QB they've faced.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Rivera today.  Between him and Scott Turner they seem really jazzed about Ricky Seals-Jones.  When Sheehan asked Rivera for a player who has surprised him in a good way, he cited him.  Turner talked him up the other day, too. 

On another note, between listening to Bobby Herbert talk about it, saying he's spoken to NO people behind the scenes, and Rivera himself, sounds like Winston has been underwhelming so far.  Herbert saying more or less that what he's hearing is that Payton isn't high on Winston based on what he's heard and he expects them to go elsewhere at QB next season.   And Rivera who typically overpraises the QB coming up next, really struggled to complement Winston.   Winston is averaging 150 yards a game.  

My point is if Winston has a get right game this Sunday, that won't look hot for this defense.  He's thus far easily the worst QB they've faced.

Entire game plan needs to be "take away Kamara and make Winston throw deep" and hope we win that.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Entire game plan needs to be "take away Kamara and make Winston throw deep" and hope we win that.

Yeah listening to Herbert and then Rivera almost back to back on the radio was brutal on Winston.  Herbert saying Payton doesn't trust Winston.  Heck the numbers show that, he barely throws the ball and Kamara is setting highs for carries.    Winston's QBR rating is good so i am guessing Payton is pushing for efficiency over production with him.  Looks like statistically, Winston's best game was against the Giants last week in the loss. 

I agree take Kamara out.  Herbert was very high on the defense.  And who knows maybe Herbert is wrong but Rivera's heming and hawing a little about Winston after hearing him gushing about the QBs they faced so far was hard to miss. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

As for the throw deep part, I hope the secondary gets right.  On this board it seems like the angst is mostly directed at the D line and LBs.  Some outside observers though seem to be klling the secondary the most.  

I felt a little vindicated when Chris Trapasso (I like reading his draft takes for years) did a deep dive into this defense and focused hard to the struggles of the secondary being a key problem including hitting William Jackson for his struggles.  Some think I along with the PFF guys are on Mars for challenging Jackson's play this season.  I like Jackson but overall I don't think he's played well.  One good game followed by a bad and a good and a bad, isn't what good corners do IMO.  But I do think he can rebound.  I love the signing at the time.  I also like St. Juste but I don't think he's played well, yet.  Ditto Fuller. 

Listening to Fred Smoot who I do take with a grain of salt typically, he went on about how new this secondary is and it takes time to build chemistry to avoid all these communication issues they've had.  Some others have suggested the same.   Hopefully they get it together because yeah if i am Winston I'd test this secondary deep because the odds seem good he will find some broken coverages which will have WRs streaking down the field wide open like what's happened in every game so far. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Fans hate anything that doesn't work because hindsight is 20/20.  I know for certain, I've seen it whined about in the gameday threads.

I will admit that I have whined about the “Gun-Run” on 3rd and short in recent gameday threads.  I am probably dating myself but I am also an advocate of adding a fullback and running I formations. 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the throw deep part, I hope the secondary gets right.  On this board it seems like the angst is mostly directed at the D line and LBs.  Some outside observers though seem to be klling the secondary the most.  

I felt a little vindicated when Chris Trapasso (I like reading his draft takes for years) did a deep dive into this defense and focused hard to the struggles of the secondary being a key problem including hitting William Jackson for his struggles.  Some think I along with the PFF guys are on Mars for challenging Jackson's play this season.  I like Jackson but overall I don't think he's played well.  One good game followed by a bad and a good and a bad, isn't what good corners do IMO.  But I do think he can rebound.  I love the signing at the time.  I also like St. Juste but I don't think he's played well, yet.  Ditto Fuller. 

Listening to Fred Smoot who I do take with a grain of salt typically, he went on about how new this secondary is and it takes time to build chemistry to avoid all these communication issues they've had.  Some others have suggested the same.   Hopefully they get it together because yeah if i am Winston I'd test this secondary deep because the odds seem good he will find some broken coverages which will have WRs streaking down the field wide open like what's happened in every game so far. 

I think the secondaries miscommunication issues are pretty obvious. I was high on WJ3 the first few weeks. McCain has been the biggest disappointment. Still think we should have grabbed hooker. Moehrig has been fantastic fwiw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you get a chance to listen to Sheehan and Loverro from yesterday, it's got some nuggets in it.  One in particular was the Bill Barnwell article about how the WFT defense is ranked #7 on first downs, #17 on second downs and he doesn't think the D will remain bad on 3rd downs for that reason.  He believes the D will come around.  I'm paraphrasing but can't find the Barnwell article.

I suppose that's why we are hearing so much about improving the 3rd down defense this week and how coaches think that stat will help turn this group around.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think the secondaries miscommunication issues are pretty obvious. I was high on WJ3 the first few weeks. McCain has been the biggest disappointment. Still think we should have grabbed hooker. Moehrig has been fantastic fwiw.

When I rewatched the Giants game, receivers were getting open on Jackson a bunch on plays including mulltiple times with them faking going outside and then pulling inside on slants.  He bit hard on them.  So when I saw his PFF's 30 score for that one, it didn't feel that out of left field for me and ditto why Trapasso picked on him on his film review.   I haven't rewatched the Falcons game yet but in real time it looked like C. Ridley ate W. Jackson's lunch.   The training camp practices I watched, it wasn't even a fair fight between Terry and Jackson.  Terry had no problem at all, not even a little, getting open on him, granted things favor the WR in training camp.   Sadly, I don't think any of our corners can be trusted the way they've played.  Though I do agree with Smoot which is give these guys time, for some of them its a new system and they are developing chemistry which they don't have for the past.  I liked the signing of Jackson.  So I am in on the dude but I don't agree with those who say he's played well on the aggregate thus far.  

McCain to me seems similar to Jackson, one good game, one bad, etc. Nothing killer good, yet.  I noticed Rivera pumping the praise at Curl but I noticed he/Curl and Jackson and he and St. Juste have allowed some big plays where it looked like either Curl or Jackson/St. Juste blew it.  Impossible to know which one but judging by Rivera's comments I gather Curl might not have been the dude at fault. 

• Like 1

Ref Jackson, this is what kicks me that you bring a guy in whose forte is man and make him play zone instead of going with a guys strengths.  Just saying....

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/washingtons-coaches-and-william-jackson-iii-are-still-feeling-each-other

"I'm adapting pretty well," Jackson III said. "It's a lot of things that I'm not familiar with, that I haven't done. The coaches are doing a great job of trying to get me caught up to speed on how they like things. Every day is a learning curve."

Jackson III's boss, coordinator Jack Del Rio, made a similar statement in his own Thursday press conference.

"We're learning," Del Rio said. "We're constantly learning each other’s strengths, weaknesses. As coaches, we want to do all we can to maximize the exposure that we give to our players and in places where they are strongest. And so we'll continue to work at that."

In Cincinnati, Jackson III was renowned for his work in man coverage, where he could go one-on-one with a receiver and blanket him with his back to the quarterback. With Washington, meanwhile, Jackson III is being asked to do more zone work with some man mixed in, and that adjustment has been cumbersome by the sound of it.

"It's all about learning the technique that they want to do," Jackson III said. "I'm definitely trying to master what they want us to do. I'm pretty sure in more weeks to come we're going to have it down, what they really want."

Edited by HigSkin
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Ref Jackson, this is what kicks me that you bring a guy in whose forte is man and make him play zone instead of going with a guys strengths.  Just saying....

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/washingtons-coaches-and-william-jackson-iii-are-still-feeling-each-other

"I'm adapting pretty well," Jackson III said. "It's a lot of things that I'm not familiar with, that I haven't done. The coaches are doing a great job of trying to get me caught up to speed on how they like things. Every day is a learning curve."

Jackson III's boss, coordinator Jack Del Rio, made a similar statement in his own Thursday press conference.

"We're learning," Del Rio said. "We're constantly learning each other’s strengths, weaknesses. As coaches, we want to do all we can to maximize the exposure that we give to our players and in places where they are strongest. And so we'll continue to work at that."

In Cincinnati, Jackson III was renowned for his work in man coverage, where he could go one-on-one with a receiver and blanket him with his back to the quarterback. With Washington, meanwhile, Jackson III is being asked to do more zone work with some man mixed in, and that adjustment has been cumbersome by the sound of it.

"It's all about learning the technique that they want to do," Jackson III said. "I'm definitely trying to master what they want us to do. I'm pretty sure in more weeks to come we're going to have it down, what they really want."

Yes our team make up and schematic match are very, very poor. Hence… a big reason for our struggles.

• Like 1