Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Now, I'm not calling for it or saying it's probable, but if they cut Barber and keep Patterson as RB3, it won't shock me.  I know they like and are comfortable with Barber and the likelihood is it's the same 3 and JP to the PS. 

I think Sims Jr is done.  Which, more than anything creates a hole at PR. I dont think you want Humphries back there doing it.  I think it's Carter's job to lose as the PR/WR guy. The interesting thing is who's not active on game day.  I guess, in my scenario, it has to be Cam Sims if they only dress 5.  And with all the versatility on offense, it might be 4 in a given week based on needs elsewhere.  Maybe some weeks, Humphries is forced to do it.

I think there's 0.00% chance Reyes is anything but a PS guy.  I can't see them using an active roster spot on him since I also can't see them putting him out there in a real game.  I think people are understating the "rawness".  He should not see the field at all this year, get a full year of practice at this level under his belt, come back next year and maybe challenge for a spot.

1. I wouldn’t say I’d be shocked, but I think this is less likely than Patterson making it as a 4th RB. The staff really seems to like Barber. And I don’t know if they see Patterson as a short yardage back. 

2. I think Sims Jr being “done” is wishful thinking from fans who were, understandably, frustrated by him last year. If he was done he wouldn’t be getting the chances he is in preseason, both as a receiver and a returner. That said I think it’s a close race between him and Carter (and maybe Milne as well) so they may end up decided they’d prefer to go with some new blood. 

3. We’ll see. This is what I thought just a week ago. But Reyes held his own way better than I expected in real game action. He may not be as in over his head as you’d expect. 

• Like 3

Patterson anchors poorly in pass pro. If you watch on the plays he got destroyed his base wasn’t great, got on his heels and dropped.

He is not a guy who will be able to carry the ball 20+ and pass protect 15+ and be a factor in the pass game. There’s too much contact there (and not because he’s a scat back, but because those hits add up). He might hold up doing that but his effectiveness will dwindle. He’s probably okay for 10-20ish touches and 5-10 pass pro reps at his size given technique is corrected.

He is super raw in pass pro.

As far as specs go, his stature doesn’t make him any less effective than some other guys. In fact the taller guys at the same weight are probably more prone to getting hurt on any single play given the leverage against them versus leverage in Patterson’s favor. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I have not seen many modern RBs with his weight of 195 do that and survive. It is not realistic to expect him to go week in and week out and get a Gibson amount of carries and come out OK.

The ones that try predictably break down, see one Austin Ekeler

Small backs can't take that level of punishment. The ceiling for season carries for backs this small is right around the McK/Ekeler range, a far cry from Gibson level carries.

I don't care who it is, asking a 195 lb back to bellcow in the modern NFL is asking him to prematurely sign up for the injury list.

Unless he puts on some weight, Patterson is no more of an option for extended carries over a period of time outside of an injury emergency than Mck is.

I hear you, and I agree - he’ll never be a bellcow type of back consistently getting 20-30 carries a game.  I’d counter that with a few points.  First, if he is clearly the best runner after Gibson, I think you give him those carries anyway.  Second, he’d be a temporary replacement, ideally buying time for Gibson to get healthy - if he were injured, oh well… they move to Plan C.  Third, I’d assume they’d throw a few more carries towards Samuel, McKissick and Barber, so Patterson wouldn’t need to shoulder the whole of Gibson’s load.  And last, I think they’d call up Williams or whoever from the PS squad (if they lost Gibson) to provide more insurance/options.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Patterson anchors poorly in pass pro. If you watch on the plays he got destroyed his base wasn’t great, got on his heels and dropped.

He is not a guy who will be able to carry the ball 20+ and pass protect 15+ and be a factor in the pass game. There’s too much contact there (and not because he’s a scat back, but because those hits add up). He might hold up doing that but his effectiveness will dwindle. He’s probably okay for 10-20ish touches and 5-10 pass pro reps at his size given technique is corrected.

He is super raw in pass pro.

As far as specs go, his stature doesn’t make him any less effective than some other guys. In fact the taller guys at the same weight are probably more prone to getting hurt on any single play given the leverage against them versus leverage in Patterson’s favor. 

I agree with all of this.  Also, heck for RBs I prefer shorter guys, often they have better balance, tougher to see in a crowd, lower center of gravity, tougher to tackle. See Emmitt Smith, etc. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My issue with Barber is i don't think he has that much position flex.  His thing seems to be short yardage and he doesn't have the explosiveness to be the guy if Gibson goes down IMO.  Having said that, some beat guys have said he's slimmed down this off season and looks more explosive.  So maybe that will change. 

I don't care enough to get into a deep dive about Barber.  If he makes the team as most who cver the team suspect, cool.

No doubt, not a huge Barber guy myself, but I get that they need a guy who can run under center. The way I perceive position flex when Ron speaks on it is a guy who can do it physically and mentally, then there’s some layers/levels: ability to fill in for a series/game(s) (injury related), expose a match up in a game, or slide over to help position another player in a more comfortable spot. 

With that said, the RB room needs an infusion of some young talent behind Gibson. 

• Like 1

I’m guessing they just don’t see an upgrade at kicker out there. It’s hard to find good ones. 

But if you’re blaming this all on the timing of the snap and hold it makes you wonder… why cut Sundberg? I would have let him play until he didn’t want to anymore. 

If you’re going to cut a kicker you don’t talk about it first. You just do it. You cannot get in their heads. You have to be super careful with the psychology aspect. 

I wouldn’t read too far into Rivera’s comments. Right now they don’t have plans to replace him. So why even put that thought in Hop’s head?

If he has more bad performances they will just cut him and not have a lead up into it or convo about it.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Last Keim pod was helpful regarding Hopkins - Cheeseman was responsible for one of the misses and Hopkins pushed the second, maybe because he wasn’t confident in Cheeseman’s snapping.

Per Keim, Sundberg still appears to be recovering from his surgery

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1