Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Just now, lavar1156 said:

I'm all for taking a WR in the 1st round but with how deep the position is I'd prefer we trade down.

I keep hearing this but I don't think it's that deep and the ES consensus doesn't appear to, either, despite the claim.

There seems to be support for London/Olave/Wilson

Some for Williams (there'd be more if he were healthy).

After that Skyy Moore? Calvin Austin III? Wan'Dale Robinson?

Not a whole lot of love for the rest of the class.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I keep hearing this but I don't think it's that deep and the ES consensus doesn't appear to, either, despite the claim.

There seems to be support for London/Olave/Wilson

Some for Williams (there'd be more if he were healthy).

After that Skyy Moore? Calvin Austin III? Wan'Dale Robinson?

Not a whole lot of love for the rest of the class.

I see Dotson going in the 1st in a lot mocks.

Edited by lavar1156

I think London/Olave/Wilson are the clear cut tier 1 at WR. Williams is an X Factor because of the injury, he'd clearly be in that list if not the best of the bunch but he's going to miss half the year and you just never know.

Good chance one of those three will go top 10. And if we trade too far down, we could lose all three. I think 14 is as far down as we can go and still land one of them.

• Like 1

I'm just not sure the Jets will go WR. On the one hand they drafted Elijah Moore last year who was pretty solid as a rookie and signed Corey Davis to a big deal so its not a huge need. On the other hand they've been in the market for a big name veteran WR in FA/trades and you really do need three ace WRs in today's NFL. I don't think they'd take London if they do go WR, they seem to want big play capability so Wilson would be their preference(or Olave but in the top 10 that might be a big time reach).

I love Ron but him sitting on Terry's contract, it seems mainly because he's a man who embraces routine as for his habits which includes he likes to do his extensions in the summer -- that habit likely will cost this team 4-5 million more on the cap a year as to Terry's contract.  It is what it is.

As to Jeremiah's point, its the same one I've made recently which is these out of control WR contracts might make nailing a WR in the draft even more enticing than ever. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I love Ron but him sitting on Terry's contract, it seems mainly because he's a man who embraces routine as for his habits which includes he likes to do his extensions in the summer -- that habit likely costs this team 4-5 million more on the cap a year.  It is what it is.

As to Jeremiah's point, its the same one I've made recently which is these out of control WR contracts might make nailing a WR in the draft even more enticing than ever.

With Samuel making a "bargain" (if he can get on the field) at $12m a year ... you can afford to pay Terry $22m because you would have a 1st round or 2nd round rookie on a $1-4m a year deal for 4-5 years ... plus Dyami and Dax Milne for 3 more years on the cheap. But I agree it would be prudent to get 1, if not 2 WRs in this class.

Trading back and grabbing a Watson or Pickens at 28/29/30 would be a good move to get that 5th year of control. It's why I' not so keen on another LB given the reduced demand for the position and the lower salaries, just not as much bang for your buck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

With Samuel making a "bargain" (if he can get on the field) at $12m a year ... you can afford to pay Terry $22m because you would have a 1st round or 2nd round rookie on a $1-4m a year deal for 4-5 years ... plus Dyami and Dax Milne for 3 more years on the cheap. But I agree it would be prudent to get 1, if not 2 WRs in this class.

Trading back and grabbing a Watson or Pickens at 28/29/30 would be a good move to get that 5th year of control. It's why I' not so keen on another LB given the reduced demand for the position and the lower salaries, just not as much bang for your buck.

I want zero to do with Pickens and Watson is a big time risk. Pass on that being the receiver scenario.

In a vacuum I’m okay with Watson. But not at the expense of giving up London/Wilson. And I’d rather have Calvin Austin III.

If we are trading back one of those picks has to be Walker. And I’m still not a fan of trading back.

Just get a talented player. Getting cute is a recipe for disaster.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I love Ron but him sitting on Terry's contract, it seems mainly because he's a man who embraces routine as for his habits which includes he likes to do his extensions in the summer -- that habit likely will cost this team 4-5 million more on the cap a year as to Terry's contract.  It is what it is.

I genuinely think he might have a real issue with paying a WR 25mil per year

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Not an issue. People here say that there’s no way Terry leaves. We’re safe!

Our interest in DL prospects also has Payne and Sweat on the question mark list for me too.

I think we make some kind of trade move. Not sure what  though.

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Our interest in DL prospects also has Payne and Sweat on the question mark list for me too.

I think we make some kind of trade move. Not sure what  though.

Now we're cooking with fire. Trade one of the two of them and pick up picks. Draft Devin Lloyd as a flex guy/edge/ILB, grab Kenneth Walker and Calvin Austin III if we can.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Will see.  I've had Ron's back on just about everything.  But his habit of sticking to habits does knaw at me from time to time. :ols: 

Yeah it all worked out in Jonathan Allen's case and it feels like he's thinking so why wouldn't it always work out?  Well, the context around Allen IMO was totally different.  Allen wasn't coming off a big season at least statisitically.  If the contract negotiation happened for example this year after his 9 sacks pro bowl season, it might have felt different.  Also DT isn't really a premium position where the numbers jump like crazy.  Salaries tend to go nuts some years at QB, WR, LT, Edge, CB.  So not every contract situation is apples to apples.

So in one sense I am relaxed about this because I've heard insider types like Keim say from the jump of this off season, this team will unlikely neogitate with Terry until after the draft because that's how they roll.  the Ron likes to wait to do this, that was telegraphed in advance.  Ron himself said it.  So I do believe there is no concern that negotiations went awry with Terry's agent because I do believe they haven't started the negotations. 

But at the same time, Ron slow playing this might surprise him as to what it likely cost the team cap wise this year compared to if he didn't slow play it.  So how he reacts to it should be interesting. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I know a stud RB would be fun, butthere's always talent in the middle rounds and I really like some of the guys that could be there later who would complement Gibson well. I would hate to spend a premier pick in the 2nd on a RB, tbh. I could see the impact it could have, but from a value standpoint it seems like a bad idea.

Keep in mind... Gibson has two years left. Which means next year is his extension year.

With McKissick being around, drafting a bellcow allows us to trade Gibson if necessary. Or, we see the value of the three together and we re-up him. But it allows us options. Not having a bellcow means that's something else to worry about next year (and this year watch as Gibson wears himself down).

Next year we need our resources just in case we have an opportunity to get a QB. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Keep in mind... Gibson has two years left. Which means next year is his extension year.

With McKissick being around, drafting a bellcow allows us to trade Gibson if necessary. Or, we see the value of the three together and we re-up him. But it allows us options. Not having a bellcow means that's something else to worry about next year (and this year watch as Gibson wears himself down).

Next year we need our resources just in case we have an opportunity to get a QB. 

Gibson has yet to show he's worthy of an extension. If we like a RB during an early round I hope we take him.

39 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Also, I think Terry is a very good player but he hasn't shown he elite yet. We have a tendency to overrate our own players. I would balk at any number close to 25 mil.

Edited by lavar1156

I’d encourage folks to check out the Tailgate Podcast (2 funny PFF guys) who break down prospects and shoot the **** also.

They had their top DTs and had Wyatt over Jordan Davis. Concern with Davis was he graded very poorly in the few games where he had more snaps and the concern is he will be a rotational guy in the pros unless he can drop weight and improve endurance. Also, more of a NT. They loved the athleticism but felt some risk there.

44 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not an issue. People here say that there’s no way Terry leaves. We’re safe!

I mean we are a week into being able to extend him. 1 player from that class has even had their 5th year option picked up and it was just now. It's not that there isn't any concern, it's just that some people are in a complete panic mode about not doing it and won't stop bringing it up. I know the media likes to push it, because it gets clicks, but there is absolutely zero reason to be concerned about it right now. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I mean we are a week into being able to extend him. 1 player from that class has even had their 5th year option picked up and it was just now. It's not that there isn't any concern, it's just that some people are in a complete panic mode about not doing it and won't stop bringing it up. I know the media likes to push it, because it gets clicks, but there is absolutely zero reason to be concerned about it right now. 

It's not about panic. Or people saying, "give it time".

It's about the absolute definitive attitude some have that it's a done deal and we just don't know it. There is zero way to know that.

The only thing we know, right now, as of this moment is that Rivera doesn't intend to start discussing the contract until summer. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It's not about panic. Or people saying, "give it time".

It's about the absolute definitive attitude some have that it's a done deal and we just don't know it. There is zero way to know that.

The only thing we know, right now, as of this moment is that Rivera doesn't intend to start discussing the contract until summer. 

It'll get done and there is no reason to think otherwise, or continue to bring it up at every chance.

• Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

17 games season is a lot of wear and tear on any running back,....we definitely need someone to spell Gibson.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

this is what I mean by the absolute attitude :ols:

Ron "we're going to get it done this summer"

Terry "we're going to get it done this summer"

KDawg "if it's not done yet, they may never do it"

This is what I mean by panic.

Dudes a team captain and incredibly important. Wants to be here (no matter how many times you say he may not). Ron wants him here. It's not that I'm speaking in an absolute. It's that he's absolutely on this team next year under contract regardless and both sides will get it done, when they start to work on it.

Your concern about it is over the top and totally unnecessary. Panic in July. Not now.