Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Really good chance the best player on the board at 11 is a defensive player. But at some point… resource management has to be a part of our prospect grades. I’m not saying you don’t take the defensive player. But it’s not the best course of action.

Are we at that point? I think so. But maybe we’re not?

I dont disagree with Steve’s point that a defensive shakeup would go a long way. But the issue is that this is the D that Rivera and Del Rio wanted. 

Can we say the offense is where they want it to be? If not, then we need to use assets on the offense. If so, then pure BPA makes sense. 

Issue is, some believe if you use pure BPA you always have to. But I’m not sure that’s the case. Pure BPA can get you in some really strange spots. 

I believe in need weighted BPA. I’m not going to discuss who, but there are O guys I’d rank higher than some D guys, but using that approach there’s still a defensive player or two that is very selectable.

We just have to be smart. Whatever we do. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

BPA no matter what sounds good in theory but in practice you have to field a roster and an actual football team. You can't draft guys to be backups when there are gaping holes at other positions. 

You have to factor in BPA, need, positional value, roster/system fit etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Projecting the Vikings regretting a contract they haven't given yet -- lol, I guess you never know but you are putting the cart before the horse

As for Hamilton (and the dude isn't even my preference at 11) if they take him, the level of adulation Rivera is going to get from the mock drafters and NFL media will probably nauseate you considering I know you don't care for Rivera.  

Can we please just take this guy!!

Something that I have been thinking about.

If you go safety at 11 - Hamilton, is their enough value at 47 at wideout...relative to....taking  a WR at 11 and the value of finding a safety that you like and has solid potential.

this is difficult to express.

Hamilton is ranked #4 in overall top 100 players so to speak.  Lets say London is ranked top 15.  Ok so which position is deeper and at 11 should you go wideout vs safety relative to the other position that you do not draft at 11.  

ie.  We take Hamilton then draft Skyy Moore option #1

We take London then draft say Brisker at 47.  What would be a better option.  I would be leaning towards London, however I love hamilton and quite frankly cant believe he is going to be available.  What a 40 time can do, unreal.  If he ran even 4.46 they guy is show in top 7. 

However I still think that London and Brisker would be better then Hamilton and Moore.

Thoughts...(except for @Koolblue13, I cannot handle any more photos of paradise on earth, aka his neighborhood.  J/k.  Well not really!!!!😉 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sebestian said:

If you go safety at 11 - Hamilton, is their enough value at 47 at wideout...relative to....taking  a WR at 11 and the value of finding a safety that you like and has solid potential.

Hamilton is ranked #4 in overall top 100 players so to speak.  Lets say London is ranked top 15.  Ok so which position is deeper and at 11 should you go wideout vs safety relative to the other position that you do not draft at 11.  

We take London then draft say Brisker at 47.  What would be a better option.  I would be leaning towards London, however I love hamilton and quite frankly cant believe he is going to be available.  What a 40 time can do, unreal.  If he ran even 4.46 they guy is show in top 7. 

However I still think that London and Brisker would be better then Hamilton and Moore.

Thoughts...(except for @Koolblue13, I cannot handle any more photos of paradise on earth, aka his neighborhood.  J/k.  Well not really!!!!😉 

This is fairly complicated. WR is deeper. Let’s start there.

But you’re more likely to see FS2-6 at 47 than you are to see the equivalent in WR. You’re realistically looking at FS3 or 4 or WR10 or so.

And you may be able to argue WR10 is a better player. 

I don’t think they are going to target a FS, though, if they don’t take Hamilton. They are going to look for a hybrid type as one of their many choices.

I think, if they go receiver at 11, they are looking for the best player at OT, DT, LB, RB, Hybrid.

So it’s tough to really go through this without some draft results to sort through. 

If you take the FS you take the best player in the group in a group that’s going to come off the board slower.

If you take WR you take WR1-4 in a deeper quality group that is going to come off the board a lot faster. 

For us to get any real value given our current number of picks, I don’t think we can find a helpful receiver after round 2.

I think we can find a hybrid type in round 4. Maybe even a free in round 4. I think finding a DT would be hard in round 4 who is a very good player, looking for at depth there. Not going to be a quality OL on the board (meaning an immediate starter) there. Might be able to get a decent corner. 

But it’s hard to “target” a position in any draft slot aside from the first few and it gets harder and harder the further back you try to project.

The question at each pick should be, “who is going to give us the biggest positive impact?”

Not necessarily “who is the best player?”

they are similar questions but a touch different.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But you’re more likely to see FS2-6 at 47 than you are to see the equivalent in WR. You’re realistically looking at FS3 or 4 or WR10 or so.

I don’t think they are going to target a FS, though, if they don’t take Hamilton. They are going to look for a hybrid type as one of their many choices.

I think, if they go receiver at 11, they are looking for the best player at OT, DT, LB, RB, Hybrid.

So it’s tough to really go through this without some draft results to sort through. 

If you take the FS you take the best player in the group in a group that’s going to come off the board slower.

If you take WR you take WR1-4 in a deeper quality group that is going to come off the board a lot faster. 

For us to get any real value given our current number of picks, I don’t think we can find a helpful receiver after round 2.

I think we can find a hybrid type in round 4. Maybe even a free in round 4. I think finding a DT would be hard in round 4 who is a very good player, looking for at depth there. Not going to be a quality OL on the board (meaning an immediate starter) there. Might be able to get a decent corner. 

But it’s hard to “target” a position in any draft slot aside from the first few and it gets harder and harder the further back you try to project.

The question at each pick should be, “who is going to give us the biggest positive impact?”

Not necessarily “who is the best player?”

they are similar questions but a touch different.

Good morning D-O-GG.  So based on your knowledge and a great post as always, I would lean WR at 11 and BPA at 47 with a slight edge to trying to find hybrid/safety (buffalo).

It pains me to day no to Hamilton if he is their, but the logic is sound at least to me.

We shall see.  When Thursday again..........

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

BPA no matter what sounds good in theory but in practice you have to field a roster and an actual football team. You can't draft guys to be backups when there are gaping holes at other positions. 

You have to factor in BPA, need, positional value, roster/system fit etc. 

System fit was reiterated by Rivera several times it that interview posted a few pages back. That becomes quite an interesting discussion when you then have a turn over of coaching staff and subsequently a change of system in most cases. 

Players need to have the ability to adapt to system change. Football IQ. You need to identify those type of prospects.

38 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Good morning D-O-GG.  So based on your knowledge and a great post as always, I would lean WR at 11 and BPA at 47 with a slight edge to trying to find hybrid/safety (buffalo).

It pains me to day no to Hamilton if he is their, but the logic is sound at least to me.

We shall see.  When Thursday again..........

I’m really not sure how we pass over Hamilton at #11. That would be a big call.

• Like 2

Hamilton is a transcendent player and the concerns about his speed are crazy.  His speed is breathtaking.  Some of those fill angles and speeds he hits are ridiculous and if anything, he plays too fast and aggressive and it sometimes causes big misses.  His signature play is to hit guys around the line of scrimmage from deep shell depth.  And his ball skills really remind me of Sean Taylor's.  That combo of size, speed, God given play making ability/instinct, and total lack of fear is sometimes like seeing Sean again.

I like Brisker, Hill, and Cine a lot.  They will make the big plays that are served up for them/right in their area.  But they're not in Hamilton's world.  He can fly all over the field, undercut good blocking, and impose their will on games from pretty much any alignment in the back 7.

I was wrong before about him not being a big striker.  He leads with his arms and makes a lot of arm tackles, and I think the poster who said this is how he has adapted to  avoid getting thrown out was right.  But when he gets a shot at squaring up clean on a player's numbers like in blitzing or gunning situations, he flattens them.

This kid is freakishly talented and I think he could be the best player on our team by year 2.  Him or Chase, if he recovers from his injury.  He's our best option at 11 since I don't think we'll take Lloyd or Davis.

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, sebestian said:

My take is if choose Hamilton at 11, you can still help the offense by taking RB1-3 or TE1 if there’s been a run on receivers.  If you you go WR2-4 with pick 11, there’s a good chance you’re looking at S3-5 at 47.  If that’s the case, LB or DL may come into play.  

Hopefully they’ve identified a FA contingency for the 11th starter on defense if DL or CB is the better pick.

• Like 2

Hamilton or Wilson at #11 for me.  Not sure I could pass over either of those. Not sure which I’d choose either if they were both there. Probably Wilson. 

That said, I think both are likely off the board. If so, trade back without hesitation.

44 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Hamilton is a transcendent player and the concerns about his speed are crazy.  His speed is breathtaking.  Some of those fill angles and speeds he hits are ridiculous and if anything, he plays too fast and aggressive and it sometimes causes big misses.  His signature play is to hit guys around the line of scrimmage from deep shell depth.  And his ball skills really remind me of Sean Taylor's.  That combo of size, speed, God given play making ability/instinct, and total lack of fear is sometimes like seeing Sean again.

I like Brisker, Hill, and Cine a lot.  They will make the big plays that are served up for them/right in their area.  But they're not in Hamilton's world.  He can fly all over the field, undercut good blocking, and impose their will on games from pretty much any alignment in the back 7.

I was wrong before about him not being a big striker.  He leads with his arms and makes a lot of arm tackles, and I think the poster who said this is how he has adapted to  avoid getting thrown out was right.  But when he gets a shot at squaring up clean on a player's numbers like in blitzing or gunning situations, he flattens them.

This kid is freakishly talented and I think he could be the best player on our team by year 2.  Him or Chase, if he recovers from his injury.  He's our best option at 11 since I don't think we'll take Lloyd or Davis.

I watched the 2020 games versus Alabama and Boston College this morning.   And the parts he played against UCLA, ironic to see him get hurt chasing-tackling Drake London.  The Alabama one in particular was a good one because it was All 22 so you could see his range really well. 

Not sure I agree that he's transcendent.  But I do agree that he's a great player.  He was on Long in the Boston College game on some reps, you can see the TE eraser drill in play with him, he was physical with him in the slot and was hip to hip with him on his routes.

The Alabama game showcased his speed and range.  He seems fine in the games I've watched him play deep in spite of the PFF low grade for him playing deep this season but maybe that was a 2021 snag with Hamilton's game versus 2020?  The reason why I take PFF grades seriouisly albeit not as gospel when its something dramatic score wise is they have access to all the games which I don't.  But having said that PFF loves Hamilton on the aggregate.  In the games I watched Hamilton was fine in coverage even above average, sometimes even playing single high, and often when playing split cover 2, etc, he was the deeper safety.   

But I do think his charm in the NFL will be mostly underneath -- 1st-2nd level.  He isn't a hard hitter like Cine.  But he's a sound tackler, he typically goes low.  Reminds me some of Isaiah Simmons on that front.

I compare him to Moehrig in one way which is what I loved about Moehrig is his diagnose-react-react style about his play.  He always seemed to be around the ball.  That IMO is Hamilton's super power along with his size which IMO sets him as the perfect eraser for big slot receivers.  He has good ball skills, too, I agree.

To me though he's not the Kyle Pitts of TEs or how I felt about Chase Young before the draft.  He's on my short list at 11th albiet not tops of that list. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I worry this will be the fate of Drake London in the NFL...

I don't worry about it.   Acega-Whiteside hasn't been good so why not throw the dice on trying something else with him?  That's how I take that move. 

But even if I feared he's TE like.  F type move TE's these days are basically big slot WRs ala Jordan Reed.  Drake London IMO can be a really good big slot WR -- play X when they move Terry to slot or Z, etc.

Here's ironically Hamilton describing London.  Saying he's their focal point as for who to stop.  Compared him to Pittman and Keenan Allen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Pat of this argument includes how FS2-6 compares to McCain (or Collins if hybrid) or WR10 compares to Brown and Samuel.  Do the coaches see WR10 (Skyy Moore was sebastians example) as truly better than current players with a bigger armed QB in place?  Since they've seen more practice they will have a better answer for that or have more knowledge about collins willingness to even return...

While the secondary started playing better as the season went on, it's hard to imagine FS2-6 not being the bigger 2nd round improvement,  but who knows who is there at 47.  Not to mention if LB, OL, RB don't simply make more sense / rate higher in their board.   Can't really bank on 47 having the player you want to be taking if your looking for a specific position. 

Take the home run at 11 or trade down and use your board (a bit weighed for need as you say as well).  

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Like 2

I don't think Hamilton is generational either but I do think he's a great player and would act as a force multiplier for our defense. Our D played at its best with Collins playing the Buffalo Nickel and Hamilton is a better player than Collins and thus would make the D even better than it was last year and that isn't even factoring everything else into it.

I'd still prefer a WR but man I'm salivating at just how great this D can be with Hamilton. We get Young and Sweat back healthy, Davis in year 2, WJ3 having a year of chemistry down, man it could be special...

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

System fit was reiterated by Rivera several times it that interview posted a few pages back. That becomes quite an interesting discussion when you then have a turn over of coaching staff and subsequently a change of system in most cases. 

Players need to have the ability to adapt to system change. Football IQ. You need to identify those type of prospects.

I’m really not sure how we pass over Hamilton at #11. That would be a big call.

I hope you are right.  I will do the Jackie Moon dance and I will post it on ES.  I said I would when I though Hamilton was a pipe dream.  I am a man of my word, weather permitting!! LOL

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think Hamilton is generational either but I do think he's a great player and would act as a force multiplier for our defense. Our D played at its best with Collins playing the Buffalo Nickel and Hamilton is a better player than Collins and thus would make the D even better than it was last year and that isn't even factoring everything else into it.

I'd still prefer a WR but man I'm salivating at just how great this D can be with Hamilton. We get Young and Sweat back healthy, Davis in year 2, WJ3 having a year of chemistry down, man it could be special...

Obviously Hamilton is really good, but is it that much of a loss if we traded down significantly and got Cine, Petrie, Hill?  Petrie could easily fill the Buffalo Nickel role. I 'd argue Lloyd could as well (while filling the gaping MLB hole).  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched the 2020 games versus Alabama and Boston College this morning.   And the parts he played against UCLA, ironic to see him get hurt chasing-tackling Drake London.  The Alabama one in particular was a good one because it was All 22 so you could see his range really well. 

Not sure I agree that he's transcendent.  But I do agree that he's a great player.  He was on Long in the Boston College game on some reps, you can see the TE eraser drill in play with him, he was physical with him in the slot and was hip to hip with him on his routes.

The Alabama game showcased his speed and range.  He seems fine in the games I've watched him play deep in spite of the PFF low grade for him playing deep this season but maybe that was a 2021 snag with Hamilton's game versus 2020?  The reason why I take PFF grades seriouisly albeit not as gospel when its something dramatic score wise is they have access to all the games which I don't.  But having said that PFF loves Hamilton on the aggregate.  In the games I watched Hamilton was fine in coverage even above average, sometimes even playing single high, and often when playing split cover 2, etc, he was the deeper safety.   

But I do think his charm in the NFL will be mostly underneath -- 1st-2nd level.  He isn't a hard hitter like Cine.  But he's a sound tackler, he typically goes low.  Reminds me some of Isaiah Simmons on that front.

I compare him to Moehrig in one way which is what I loved about Moehrig is his diagnose-react-react style about his play.  He always seemed to be around the ball.  That IMO is Hamilton's super power along with his size which IMO sets him as the perfect eraser for big slot receivers.  He has good ball skills, too, I agree.

To me though he's not the Kyle Pitts of TEs or how I felt about Chase Young before the draft.  He's on my short list at 11th albiet not tops of that list. 

Great post!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I am on board with this thought.   I do think Hamilton or Lloyd for different reasons would take this defense up a peg.   And I do prefer a WR at 11.  But if it ends up Hamilton i'll be plenty jazzed. 

• Like 3