Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply I thought Melton was undervalued, only that he had bad QB play in Vederal and Sitkowski the past three years, so it opens up that possibility.   The majority of athletic players that failed to put up a lot of college production won't be good pros.   However, sometimes the player is pretty good despite their lack of college production.   For example Stefon Diggs played with below average QB's at Maryland and it hurt his production (along with some minor injuries).   He fell to the fourth round.   I don't have enough technical knowledge to really evaluate receivers, but you can find guys undervalued because they didn't put up a ton of college production due to things that were beyond their control like poor QB play.

One thing that leans me more towards the positive on Bo, regarding his poor QB play is that he had double the amount of production compared to any other receiver on his team. He made the most of the cards dealt his way and when you factor that on top of his high athleticism and technical skill from releases, to head fakes, and ball tracking/control he comes across more so as a potential diamond in the rough.

Edited by Fresh8686

Being a huge Maryland fan I have feel for the pulse of all the Big 10 teams and Rutgers last four years of QB play has been bottom of the league all four years.  In 2018 and 2019, they had Artur Sitkowski.   Sitkowski is a player I tracked since his recruitment.  Big kid 6'5 230 pounds, NFL arm, a statute in the pocket, and no ability to get through reads or play the game fast.   He was actually highly recruited and chose Rutgers cause they were the local school and they promised him the starting job as a true freshman.  He was terrible as a true freshman, throwing for 4 TD's and 18 Interceptions.  In 2019 Sitkowski was a bit better but still the worst starting QB in the Big 10.  In 2020, Greg Schiano took over and they had a new starting QB who was a transfer from UCF, Noah Vedral.   Unlike Sitkowski, Vedral was a much better game manager than Sitkowski, but was risk averse and pretty bad at pushing the ball down the field.  He was better than Sitkowski, but one of the two or three worst QB's in the Big 10 the past two years.  Bo Melton and their running back, Isaih Pacheco (who ran a 4.37 at the combine) are both athletic players with big play potential in the right system, but their offense wasn't able to take advantage because of a combo of poor QB and poor O-Line play.

Edited by philibusters

10 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I’m not sure he’ll last that long after his combine, should be a day 2 guy I would think.

Maybe.  RBs tend to fall though

On another note, playing with some mocks on Draft Network.  I was just playing with different permutations for kicks.  Looks like they think the LBs fall to the later first round.  Looks like we can get either Williams, London, Burks, Wilson by trading down, too according to their thinking.  

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 3.54.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 4.08.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 4.16.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 4.26.43 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 5:01 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I highlighted Kyren Williams the same day weeks ago ironically that I highlighted White.  Both pass catching RBs.  But Kyren bombed the combine, getting the lowest RAS score among RBs, 1.75 is brutal.   White killed it, 9.8, getting the 2nd highest RAS among the RBs.  Super ahtlete who can run and catch the ball. 1000 yards rushing.  456 passing yards.  15 TD.  

As for all you see is him doing hurdling, I'd watch some games versus just the highlights.  I don't have the energy to sell White right now, got to run.  I've already put plenty out on him. 

Kyren will likely drop to Jemar Jefferson or UDFA territory now so a great value like jermar was maybe but like you suggest, that kind of epic fail at the combine should result in an agent getting fired and Kyren dropping to irrelevant status.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe.  RBs tend to fall though

To add to your post, SIP.  As an example, Ty Chandler of UNC has lasted between 4th-6th rounds in mock drafts.  Depends on which ones. 

15 minutes ago, RWJ said:

To add to your post, SIP.  As an example, Ty Chandler of UNC has lasted between 4th-6th rounds in mock drafts.  Depends on which ones. 

I am compiling stats on 25 different RBs, I've watched some of them, I'll get to Chandler.    It takes me time because I don't like to go purely with the combine, highlights or narratives -- I like to spent some time watching them in games, makes me feel more invested in the player if we get him -- ala how I felt when we drafted Terry and Gibson, etc both of whom I was a fan of predraft.    Sadly, Derrius Guice, too :ols:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am compiling stats on 25 different RBs, I've watched some of them, I'll get to Chandler.    It takes me time because I don't like to go purely with the combine, highlights or narratives -- I like to spent some time watching them in games, makes me feel more invested in the player if we get him -- ala how I felt when we drafted Terry and Gibson, etc both of whom I was a fan of predraft.    Sadly, Derrius Guice, too :ols:

I totally understand.  Speaking about Guice.  I thought Bruce hit a HR when we drafted him but...LOL :) 

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I totally understand.  Speaking about Guice.  I thought Bruce hit a HR when we drafted him but...LOL :) 

Yeah I loved him too, spent a lot of time on him.  Last year was the first draft in years where they didn't take one of my guys so to speak.  they picked some players i liked.  But none of the ones that I sort of loved more than the mock draft types typically do.

The sad thing about Guice is according to Chris Russell, Kyle Smith as on top of Guice's off the field issues and for that reason he didn't want to take him but was overridden by Dan Snyder on it. 

Noe that the combine is done, I am in stat compiling mode.  And I'll post them eventually on this thread because it helps me before I watch some players where I don't for example have to guess their speed/agliity, etc.  

14 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Kyren Williams definitely could be undervalued at this point.   

could be.   I liked his tape, wrote up about it a couple of weeks ago here.    But what a brutal combine.  I am guessing he will be a late rounder now. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 5.11.52 PM.png

I am trying to figure out who do I like more Garrett Wilson, Drake London, Treylon Burks.  Love all three for different reasons.  I lean towards Wilson.

Garrett Wilson reminds me as a cross between Odell and Devonte Smith.  Some say Diggs, I get that too.  But its not by a big margin.  Love Drake and Treylon, too.  Too bad J.  Williams has that ACL because I also love his match to Carson's big arm.

Like Fitz, Wentz seems to prefer big targets and his sweet spot according to PFF are intermediate throws in between the numbers and deep posts.

Wilson plays bigger than his size.  But wonder if Drake in particular is the best fit to a dude who likes big targets and tends to make risky throws?  I like Drake more on 50-50 balls while like Burks better as for YAC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

could be.   I liked Kyren William's tape, wrote up about it a couple of weeks ago here.    But what a brutal combine.  I am guessing he will be a late rounder now. 

Seems like maybe the 5th round would be a sweet spot to grab Williams though unfortunately we don't have a 5th round pick.   If he is there in the 6th round he seems like a good value to me.  I don't care that much about his combine performance, it doesn't scare me off on a prospect we are talking rounds 4-7.  It would scare me off on a 1st rounder, but not a fourth or fifth rounder.

Drake London in the first if that’s his value would be my pick.

I think he’s the top receiver in the draft for us. 

After that the second rounder would depend who’s on the board. If Howell is there I take him. If he’s not, I’m looking to Walker or Hall if they are there. After that I don’t know at this point. 

I like Lloyd. I think he could turn out to be a true stud. But this team needs firepower on O. Our defense can play adequate football as it stands with some FA help. But our offense needs weapons. We have a lot of decent talent. Guys who don’t knock our socks off but we tend to like because they are productive and can play the game. Now imagine taking a true possession receiver that can do a lot route wise and is a monster to pair with McLaurin and if healthy Samuel. 

That opens things for Gibson and the backs a bit more, too, and takes some pressure off of us when we lose Scherff. 

I wouldn’t be angry if we drafted Lloyd. But if London is on the board I’ll wonder “what if?”

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

After that the second rounder would depend who’s on the board. If Howell is there I take him. If he’s not, I’m looking to Walker or Hall if they are there. After that I don’t know at this point. 

I like Lloyd. I think he could turn out to be a true stud. But this team needs firepower on O. Our defense can play adequate football as it stands with some FA help. But our offense needs weapons. We have a lot of decent talent. Guys who don’t knock our socks off but we tend to like because they are productive and can play the game. Now imagine taking a true possession receiver that can do a lot route wise and is a monster to pair with McLaurin and if healthy Samuel. 

That opens things for Gibson and the backs a bit more, too, and takes some pressure off of us when we lose Scherff. 

I wouldn’t be angry if we drafted Lloyd. But if London is on the board I’ll wonder “what if?”

does London separate? Honest question, I haven’t watched. All I’ve read in snippets is highlights of  “big target, jump balls, contested catches” and gives me nightmares of JJ Arcega Whiteside and Doctson. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, “Misdirection” said:

does London separate? Honest question, I haven’t watched. All I’ve read in snippets is highlights of  “big target, jump balls, contested catches” and gives me nightmares of JJ Arcega Whiteside and Doctson. 

He does at times, yes. Not necessarily how he was used. He reminds me a little of Pierre Garçon in style. Not completely. But shades.

• Like 1

My take on Drake London is he's big, tough and full of gumption but he doesn't seem to get much seperation. If you can't get seperation against college corners in the Pac-10 you don't stand much of a chance in the pros. I'd pass in the first round for sure.

The guy I'm hoping slides to us at 11 is Garrett Wilson but he has the look and feel of a top 10 wideout. It may come down to the number of qbs that get selected before our pick. If two go he just might make it to 11.

Less than that and we might be better off just trading the pick to someone that needs a qb for a late first, a first next year and a day two sweetener.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

My current guess has London and Jameson Williams in contention for Top WR in the draft on our board.

Reason for London, Wentz really likes targets who have a knack for getting space in the 10-15 yard area.  TE's are favorite targets of his.  Pittman in Indy was great at drifting into open space in that area against zones, or on comebacks.  London fits this.  His best work is using some of his basketball shake and bake moves (not as good as Jordan Reed...yet) in that area past the LoS.  I think London will be a better version of Michael Pittman that Wentz had in Indy.

Reason for Williams, Wentz is aggressive with his reads and decisions.  He'll stay a bit later on a downfield read if he thinks they'll get space in the 20-30 yard area.  Deep crossers, deep digs, corners, etc.  He'll pass up open targets short of the sticks, for a chance at someone further down the field.  Williams profiles the best for guys who will get space on defenders in that area.

For the record, I don't think Metchie profiles as a good Wentz WR.  So I'm not promoting Williams just because he's got Alabama hype.

Just ran a draft sim on profootballnetwork.  I traded with Pittsburgh.  

Pitt - #11

Was - #20, #52, Pit 2023 #3rd 

Draft

RD1 #20 - Daxton Hill S Michigan

RD2 #47 - K. Green G Texas A & M

RD 2 #52 - C. Watkins WR NDSU

RD4 #112 - Leo Chenal LB Wisconsin

RD6 #188 - Abram Smith RB Baylor

RD7 # 237 - Bo Melton WR Rutgers

I cannot paste the entire draft I compiled but that what was available.

What do you guys think?

EDIT  This is only we do not sign a vet safety FA. specifically M, Williams

Edited by sebestian
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Much prefer Hall to Walker. Hall’s a little younger and showed the ability to play 3 downs w/his pass catching game. Maybe Walker has hidden pass catching chops, that happens, but we haven’t seen it. Burks and Wilson are my favs but I like Deake fine as well. Olave is the guy who scares me most.