Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

My latest mock (with trades):

1). Carolina trades #6 to Philadelphia for #15+#51+#83.

2). Pittsburgh trades #20+#84 to Carolina for #15.

3). Vegas trades #22+#86 to New Orleans for #18.

4). Bengals trade #31+#63 to New England for #21.

5). Detroit trades #32+2022 4th round pick to Tennessee for #26

ROUND 1:

1). Jacksonville-Ikem Ekwonu (I think the Jags go with O-line at 1.  However, I have a sneaking suspicion that they take Ekwonu over the more heralded Neal).

2). Detroit-Aiden Hutchinson (Lions can't trade down.  They take the local product of Hutch (although I think Hamilton might be in play here honestly).

3). Houston-Kyle Hamilton (Fits the Lovie Smith zone scheme.  Safe pick.  They'll get extra picks whenever the Watson trade happens).

4). New York Jets-Kayvon Thibodeaux (Pass Rusher is a major need.  They could take Neal here, but they give Becton another chance (and I don't think Neal fits the Shanny style o-lineman anyways)).

5). New York Giants-Evan Neal (Starts at RT on day one).

6). Philadelphia (from Carolina)-Sauce Gardner (Eagles jump the Giants to get a much needed CB.  Slay is 31.  Carolina is desperate to trade down to recoup their lost 2nd and 3rd round picks from previous trades).

7). New York Giants-Devin Lloyd (They take BPA here.  They are dismayed that Gardner is gone.  Martinez is probably a goner.  Wink Martindale defenses need strong LB play).

8.  Atlanta-Jermaine Johnson (A little high perhaps, but he was great in the senior bowl and Atlanta is desperate for an edge rusher).

9). Denver-Derek Stingley (pure BPA pick here.  I know they took Surtain last year, but unless they trade for a vet qb (like Rodgers), I figure they continue to build the defense).

10). New York Jets-Traylon Burks (Best RAC WR in the draft.  Fits the Shanny offense and will be their Deebo).

11). Washington-Kenny Pickett (If Pickett lasts here, he'll be the pick.  Otherwise, I think we trade down).

12). Minnesota-Travon Walker (Need an edge with Hunter suffering from injuries).

13). Cleveland-Garrett Wilson (WR is a huge need with OBJ (and possibly Landry) gone).

14). Baltimore-Kenyon Green (They go with the versatility of Green vs Linderbaum).

15). Pittsburgh (from Carolina via Philadelphia)-Malik Willis (Steelers trade up for their QB)

16). Philadelphia-David Ojabo (Edge is a need for them as Barnett is a FA)

17). Los Angeles Chargers-Trevor Penning (RT is a MAJOR need (and he fits better at RT vs Cross).

18). Las Vegas (from New Orleans)-Drake London (WR is a major need and the Raiders trade up for London).

19). Philadelphia-NKobe Dean (I don't they don't value LB play and he's small, but he'll add second-level speed to the defense).

20). Carolina (from Pittsburgh)-Charles Cross (Panthers traded down twice to take Cross as LT is a major need).

21). Cincinatti-Tyler Linderbaum (Bengals trade up (something they rarely do) to get the falling Linderbaum and bolster their interior o-line).

22). New Orleans (from Las Vegas)-Matt Corral (Saints traded down and still got a QB).

23). Arizona-Jordan Davis (BPA here.  Will eat up space for Simmons).

24). Dallas-George Karlaftis (Edge is a major need with Gregory is a FA, Lawrence aging).

25). Buffalo-Trent McDuffie (Surprised he's still on the board, the Bills nab a CB to provide insurance for White's rehab).

26). Detroit (from Tennessee)-Jameson Williams (Would have been a top 12 pick if he didn't get hurt.  Lions can afford to be patient on his rehab).

27). Tampa Bay-Arnold Ebiketie (I know they took Tryon last year, but edge is still a need).

28). Green Bay-Chris Olave (Gives Rodgers a weapon).

29). Miami-Zion Johnson (Have to improve the o-line)

30). Kansas City-Jahan Dotson (All indications are that this will be a skill pick).

31). New England (from Cincinatti)-Kyler Gordon (JC Jackson is a FA (could be franchised).  This team always drafts DBs high).

32). Tennessee (from Detroit)-Trey McBride (Gives a weapon for Tannehill).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Panninho said:

The league really hasn't figured out how to draft that position and we made a big mistake last year ourselves.

I'd be way more skeptical that PFF has any clue how to grade the position than to make a sweeping conclusion about the competency of the league based on their system.  For instance they graded Logan Wilson a 54.0 this season and that dude is an awesome player who excels in coverage.  Their evaluations can be god awful.

• Like 2

Reports out of Seattle are that DK Metcalf could be available for a higher 1st round pick as his contract expires after 2022. He is still only 24 years old....this is a no-brainer for us to offer our 1st for him is it not? What a WR group we'd have if we brought him in. 

I'll say this, if the Eagles don't jump on this, given that they have 3 first round selections and a history of drafting poorly in round one, they're crazy. 

Trade for DK, sign Trubisky and then draft/free agency defense. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Reports out of Seattle are that DK Metcalf could be available for a higher 1st round pick as his contract expires after 2022. He is still only 24 years old....this is a no-brainer for us to offer our 1st for him is it not? What a WR group we'd have if we brought him in. 

I'll say this, if the Eagles don't jump on this, given that they have 3 first round selections and a history of drafting poorly in round one, they're crazy. 

Ew, is this serious?  You’d actually give up a 1st for a WR THIS YEAR?   That’s not a good move at all.  I’m not even gonna mention signing Trubisky w/o drafting a QB at 11.  Talk about a major letdown with the fans.  If this scenario actually took place, you might only see 500 fans at most at Fed-Ex next year, LOL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, samy316 said:

Ew, is this serious?  You’d actually give up a 1st for a WR THIS YEAR?   That’s not a good move at all.  I’m not even gonna mention signing Trubisky w/o drafting a QB at 11.  Talk about a major letdown with the fans.  If this scenario actually took place, you might only see 500 fans at most at Fed-Ex next year, LOL.

Yep...I'm serious. 

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Drafting a WR with the 1st makes more sense.

You can't pay all of Curtis, Terry, and DK.  If we traded for DK and gave him a massive extension, then Terry would walk in FA.  However, if we draft a WR in the 1st, we can still pay Terry, and then by the time the 1st round receiver gets an extension, Curtis's contract will be off the books (unless he gets healthy and we re-sign him).

2 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Drafting a WR with the 1st makes more sense.

You can't pay all of Curtis, Terry, and DK.  If we traded for DK and gave him a massive extension, then Terry would walk in FA.  However, if we draft a WR in the 1st, we can still pay Terry, and then by the time the 1st round receiver gets an extension, Curtis's contract will be off the books (unless he gets healthy and we re-sign him).

You might be right but I'm going for studs when they're available and not looking back. DK Metcalf is special....he changes our entire offense.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

You might be right but I'm going for studs when they're available and not looking back. DK Metcalf is special....he changes our entire offense.

DK with Heinicke, Haskins, broken Alex Smith, or Kyle Allen?  Not as special.  DK with Russell Wilson?  Special.  There's a fair chance that Terry McLaurin doing what he's done with our QB group over the past 3 seasons means he is special.

I don't want to give up Terry for DK.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

There alot of fa Wr this year we should be able to get a wr 2 no problem.

If you’re talking about a top flight #2 like Allen Robinson or Mike Williams, that depends on who we have at QB.  If we sign someone mediocre/terrible  like Trubisky or Mariotta, then we’re not getting those top flight WR’s to sign here.  We need to upgrade big time at QB before we can begin thinking of legitimate #2 WR’s who might sign here.

Edited by samy316

My take on the University of Maryland prospects in the Draft.  I had a similar post a few months ago when it wasn't clear which Maryland players were entering the draft and which would be returning to Maryland.   Now that we know some prospects like Jaelyn Duncan are coming back to Maryland, I can focus more on just the 5 who are definitely in the draft.

Sam Okuayinonu:  6'1 290 pound Defensive Lineman with some verstaility to play either DT or DE.   UMD runs a 3-4 he was a DE in Maryland's defense, but if Maryland ran a 4-3 he is probably a DT.  PFF gave him a score of 67.4 with a 71.3 in run defense and a 61.3 as a pass rusher.  I like Sam Okuayinonu as I thought he had a good motor and was a plus for the defense.  I thought at times he played undisciplined in 2021.  That wasn't something I noticed in 2020 (not that I was really scouting him), but I think the undisciplined play had more to do with the poor Linebacker play behind him.   In 2020 he had Chance Campbell and Ainde Eley playing interior LB's  behind and trusted them to make the play.  In 2021 he had young LB'ers behind him who were undisciplined and couldn't always be trusted to maintain their gap and that made him a bit more undisciplined as he sometimes left his blocker to make a tackle or starting pinching a gap he thought the play was going to rather than holding the blocker to let the linebacker make the play.  

In terms of fit with the Commanders, I think Sam O's fit is that he can play either DT or DE.  If say a DE got hurt, you could play Sam O at DE on running downs and somebody like Toney there on passing downs.   He has a high motor and was involved in a good amount of plays.

My opinion:  Worth a look in the late rounds or as a undrafted free agent

Tayon Fleet Davis:  The 6'0 215 pound running back ran for 721 yards on 5.6 ypc and had 32 receptions for 305 receiving yards.  On the plus side he has a decent combo of power and athleticism that made him a solid college player.  On the negative side, his vision is hit or miss.  At times Maryland's run game stagnated and it was usually a combo of mediocre O-Line run blocking and Fleet Davis leaving some 3, 4, and 5 yard runs on table.  His vision is just so-so.  Comparing him to Maryland's running back Jake Funk from the previous year who went in the 6th round to the Ram, Fleet Davis was not as good in my opinion.  He was more athletic than Funk and arguably more powerful too, but Funk had very solid vision and was thus more consistent.

My opinion:  Worth a look as an undrafted free agent, but don't think he is worth a draft pick

Chig Okonkwo:  A 6'3 250 pound Tight End, Chig is going to be one of the more athletic TE's in the draft.  His testing numbers will be very solid.  He had 447 receiving yards on 52 catches and had 5 receiving TD's.  His PFF grade was 69.2 and his strongest category was 76.7 receiving grade.  However his blocking grades were significantly lower.  His run blocking grade was 49.7 and his pass blocking grade was 67.8.   If you want a receiver first TE, Chig is worth a look.  He has plus athleticism for the position.  But he is 6'2 or 6'3 so he is small for the position and not a great blocker.  He is a bit like Ricky Seal Jones in that he is effectively a hybrid TE-Receiver.   I don't love him as a player, but he has the athleticism to compete in the NFL. https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/chigoziem-okonkwo-shrine-bowl-highlights-2022-nfl-draft

My opinion:  Worth a look in the late rounds

Jordan Mosley:  A 6'1 205 pound strong safety with a very solid 84.2 PFF grade.   He is overshadowed in the draft, by Maryland's other safety in the draft, Nick Cross, who  has the 4.4 speed and size at 210-215 pounds that NFL teams like, but Mosley had the highest PFF defensive grade on the team.   He had 83 tackles (56 solo) and 8 pass breakups.  He had PFF grades above 80 in both run defense and pass defense though I felt he got easier assignments in pass coverage than free safety Nick Cross.  He was a solid tackler in run defense and had a very solid year.  Doesn't have plus athleticism like Nick Cross.

My opinion:  Worth a look in the late rounds 

Nick Cross:  The 6'1 215 free safety with 4.4 speed (ran a 10.77 100 meters in high school) has the size and speed combo to succeed in the NFL.  I think in the NFL he will be a strong safety and that he played free safety out of position at Maryland so Maryland could get their best two safeties on the field in Mosley and Cross.  Often played center field, he made a good amount of plays.  He also did give up some big pass plays.  He is young, 21 years old, leaving after his true junior year.  He had 3 interceptions in 2021 (6 for his career in 29 games).   He was a solid run defender.  He only had a PFF grade of 68 with run defense grade in the 70's and a pass defense grade of just 59.   I am not as technically knowledgable as some of the posters on him, but my feeling is the 59 passing defense grade undervalues his contribution in pass defense.  He had tough assignments and made a number of plays.  Gave up some too, but again, I think his PFF score does undervalue him.   Despite the weaker PFF score, PFF ranks as the 6th best safety prospect in the class and a late third or early fourth round choice (they have him as the 96th best prospect.  Overall he was a very good college player, but not quite elite, but as an elite combo of size and speed.

In terms of fit with the Commanders, I think he would be a strong safety.  Maybe not an immediate plug in and play player, he does have upside.

My opinion: Worth a look in the mid rounds.   A definite take in the late rounds.

Edited by philibusters
wrote free safety rather than strong safety
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just dove into Leo Chenal some.  6 '2, 261 pounds so has some freakish Zaven Collins attributes as for size.   I saw Collins as more of strong side backer whereas Chenal strikes me as a true Mike MLB type.  Downhill, sound tackler. I don't think he's quite the athletic freak that Collins was but it wouldn't surprise me if he's not a mile off on some fronts.  Looks and plays like a monster in terms of pure physicality.   He looks fast enough to me.  Agility maybe not hot, hard to tell. 

Sometimes when he creeps up to the line of scrimmage for a blitz you can see it occupies the thoughts of the O line and where I saw a couple of times he was doubled.  You don't often see a blitzer being doubled.  

2nd-3rd rounder?  Good player IMO.  

Pros

He can shed blocks, heck he can take on blockers and blow them up.

Really sound run stopper, tackles well

Good awareness, he seems to be around the play wherever it is.  

Really good pass rusher -- 8 sacks.  Reminds me some of Zaven on this front.  Zaven though from what I recall would often come off the edge.  Chenal is a mix of the middle and edge.

Tone setter as a player, plays with some fire

While I see he's questioned as to coverage, I saw some flashes including draping the ballyhooed Notre Dame TEs on some plays. 

Cons

Stiff hips which shows when he backpeddles -- didn't really see him make impact plays in coverage.  But he seems like a willing coverage guy/aware

While he's a really good pass rusher, he relies a lot on his physicality where he often bull rushes, does that translate the same to the NFL?

He finds himself in the wash in traffic on more plays than I'd like

Dives on some tackles and misses

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Damone Clark, MLB. 6 "3, 245.  Nice size and he's a really fluid player, loose hips, looks plenty fast.   He's another dude in the 2nd-3rd round who looks intriguing.  As I am diving into this class, the depth isn't bad at all IMO.    Purely based on looking at him, he looks like a freak as far as size-speed.  I can see him blowing up the combine.  Will see. 

Pros

Looks really well put together physically -- 245 piounds but a lean muscular version of it

Good instincts in the run game.  Around the ball.

Good tackler but not a great tackler IMO

Can pass rush 

High motor-energy-tone setter

Has some weaknesses in coverage but purely as far as athleticism he looks impressive, he backpeddles and changes direction with the best of them -- comes off like he has super loose hips.

Supposedly killed it in the Senior Bowl, Nagy raved about him

Can shed blocks but not perfect in this regard, sometimes he gets swallowed by the offensive lineman

Cons

In the passing game while he looks really fluid when he backpeddles, he seems to be a beat behind the action.  Maybe that's just him playing zone and sticking to his spot, hard to always tell

He has a little Jamin Davis in him as a tackler in that he likes to get low a lot and sometimes he doesn't wrap as far as his tackle where he finishes the tackle and in turn the offensive player escapes his grasp.    So misses some tackles.

In terms of play recognition, he seems ok but he doesn't jump off the screen for me as for him anticipating where the play is going

Even though he has good size his tackles aren't like thunder compared to for example Chenal who I just talked about

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

The 2nd round is going to have a bunch of LBers and Safeties going in it. Theres about 7 or 8 MLB/ILB gone by the end of the top half of the 2nd. About 5 or 6 safeties too. 

I definitely see a potential for a trade back with our 1rst pick if a couple of different players drop. I'd love to get another early day 2 pick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just dove into Leo Chenal some.  6 '2, 261 pounds so has some freakish Zaven Collins attributes as for size.   I saw Collins as more of strong side backer whereas Chenal strikes me as a true Mike MLB type.  Downhill, sound tackler. I don't think he's quite the athletic freak that Collins was but it wouldn't surprise me if he's not a mile off on some fronts.  Looks and plays like a monster in terms of pure physicality.   He looks fast enough to me.  Agility maybe not hot, hard to tell. 

I like Leo Chenal a lot but I really like Chad Muma from Wyoming too.  I'd like your thoughts on him, SIP.  Muma has played all over at LB inside and outside.  He also called all the plays.  

Please watch his tape if you haven't already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I like Leo Chenal a lot but I really like Chad Muma from Wyoming too.  I'd like your thoughts on him, SIP.  Muma has played all over at LB inside and outside.  He also called all the plays.  

He has definitely caught my eye over the past few months!

I would like to know if makes any of the defensive calls for Wyoming 

I am guessing SIP is beginning to work his magic through the LB's

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

He has definitely caught my eye over the past few months!

I would like to know if makes any of the defensive calls for Wyoming 

I am guessing SIP is beginning to work his magic through the LB's

In my post I put down that he makes all the calls at LB. :)  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

I plan to watch Muma soon.   I noticed he’s already been covered on this thread for months by others so I wanted to start with other players before watching him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sometimes when he creeps up to the line of scrimmage for a blitz you can see it occupies the thoughts of the O line and where I saw a couple of times he was doubled.  You don't often see a blitzer being doubled.  

2nd-3rd rounder?  Good player IMO.  

Pros

He can shed blocks, heck he can take on blockers and blow them up.

Really sound run stopper, tackles well

Good awareness, he seems to be around the play wherever it is.  

Really good pass rusher -- 8 sacks.  Reminds me some of Zaven on this front.  Zaven though from what I recall would often come off the edge.  Chenal is a mix of the middle and edge.

Tone setter as a player, plays with some fire

While I see he's questioned as to coverage, I saw some flashes including draping the ballyhooed Notre Dame TEs on some plays. 

Cons

Stiff hips which shows when he backpeddles -- didn't really see him make impact plays in coverage.  But he seems like a willing coverage guy/aware

While he's a really good pass rusher, he relies a lot on his physicality where he often bull rushes, does that translate the same to the NFL?

He finds himself in the wash in traffic on more plays than I'd like

Dives on some tackles and misses

Watched some of Chenal, I'm meh on him.  View him as Day 3.  Too flat footed and not quick enough to make plays based on reaction.  If the play is to what his assignment is supposed to be, run blitz, pass rush, his run fit, pass underneath to his zone, etc then he's good.  But he feels like the type of guy where one wrong step or a late read and he's out of the play at the next level.

He blitzes like a fullback, just smack the guy trying to block you.  On the plus side since he's built top to bottom like a brickhouse he doesn't get off balance much by contact.

The other LB on Wisconsin, Sanborn #57, flashed more often and is noticeably more athletic.  He seemed to do better reads and run fits from that.  If he could be a MLB, that'd be ideal.  But I spent most of the film watching Chenal instead of him, just noticed #57 making plays.