Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, CommanderDOOM said:

Not giving a 1st for Ryan. I'd give 2 1sts for Russ, Watson and 1st and 2nd for Carr. 2nd for Jimmie G.

I wouldn't hate Corral at 11. Gunshy on Willis as it looks like he needs time. Howell reminds me of Dalton....Pickett reminds me of Daniel Jones. Id be patient and not force it.

@KDawgwhat do u mean Ridder and Strong not real shots??

I mean they aren’t great prospects as of right now. In my opinion.

You do realize how big of a bit Atlanta would take for trading Ryan, right? 

Why do you think Carr is an option? If we’re listing guys we’d trade for for fun I’d give 3 firsts for Josh Allen and Joe Burrow. 

I wouldn’t touch Watson with a 30 foot pole.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Why do you think Carr is an option?

I wouldn’t touch Watson with a 30 foot pole.

If Carr wants more than Davis is going to pay on a new contract there is a chance, they might trade him, and I think he would do well here in Turner's system.  As for Watson your 1000% correct. 

8 minutes ago, CommanderDOOM said:

Media seems to think Vegas could move on.

We might be the wrong team for Watson...perception wise. I wouldn't care.

I guess LV could but they would have no QB same with Seattle who would they get. Maybe JimmyG.  As for Watson I am in PA there starting to be talk of eagles getting him on the radio. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

11 minutes ago, CommanderDOOM said:

We might be the wrong team for Watson...perception wise. I wouldn't care.

Ok but using logic... why do you think the Raiders are moving Carr? I'm not saying its not possible. I am saying to think about why they would move Carr. It doesn't seem like a real possibility right now.

I like Howell’s mobility, toughness, and the fact that he’s tough to bring down… that stiff arm he thew to buy himself time to get a pass off was reminiscent of a smaller Josh Allen. I think he settled in pretty well after the fumble, but would like to have seen him look downfield more often. A lot of check downs and off schedule runs just don’t showcase his skills enough in my opinion. 

I think based off of this week of practices and the game, Willis improved his stock the most, with modest upticks for Strong, Ridder and Howell, and perhaps a slight down arrow for Pickett who just doesn’t look the part of QB1 right now. Just my l take. 

I think I would probably prefer one of Willis, Howell or Corral for our offense and behind our current line. 

Edited by Stormy
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I

You do realize how big of a bit Atlanta would take for trading Ryan, right?

They'd save 8 million by trading him.  Ryan's 48 million cap hit would fall to 40 million for the Falcons.

The new team would be on the hook for 23.75million in 2022 and 28 million in 2023.  But the 28 million would have zero guaranteed money.

Not advocating trading for Ryan as Plan A.  Just saying the contract situation is awkward for Atlanta but not a dealbreaker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

They'd save 8 million by trading him.  Ryan's 48 million cap hit would fall to 40 million for the Falcons.

The new team would be on the hook for 23.75million in 2022 and 28 million in 2023.  But the 28 million would have zero guaranteed money.

Not advocating trading for Ryan as Plan A.  Just saying the contract situation is awkward for Atlanta but not a dealbreaker.

They'd be on the hook for 40 MILLION of a player's cap hit that isn't even on the team.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, CommanderDOOM said:

Those were from over a week ago and unfortunately not relevant anymore.

Rumors have it their new HC McDaniels took the job because of Carr.  Rumors say he thinks Carr was poorly utilized.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

They'd be on the hook for 40 MILLION of a player's cap hit that isn't even on the team.

Sunk cost.

• Like 1

Senior Bowl was pretty meh this year. QBs weren't very inspiring, but I think Howell looked the best of the bunch.

You can see Willis' raw talent but you can also see the raw part. He had the really nice sack evasion and run, but we already knew he could do that. I wanted to see his passing game and see if he was going through progressions, etc. Unfortunately didn't get to see much of that. Couple pretty decent throws, one horrible duck. Didn't move the needle much for me on him.

Picket looked ok but nothing special. Pretty safe stuff, good mobility.

I still see Strong and Ridder as mostly 2nd rounders (or even later possibly).

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not worth it. I consider $40M against the cap a huge hit for a player not on the team.

Let me put it this way.

Option 1:

- Have Matt Ryan play for 1 more year

Option 2:

- Save 8 million in 2022

- Save 15.6 million in 2023

- Gain a 2022 draft pick.

Is Option 1 worth more to the Falcons than Option 2?  Keep in mind the Falcons have negative cap space by 6.6 million.  So they need to clear that plus 11.6 million to cover their rookie draft slots, unless they trade away picks.  Add it up and they are projected to be in the red by 18.2 million.  So, in the red heavily, plus a roster that can't compete, a difficult cap situation, and an aging QB.  Moving Matt Ryan is a very real conversation I'm sure that franchise is having.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Let me put it this way.

Option 1:

- Have Matt Ryan play for 1 more year

Option 2:

- Save 8 million in 2022

- Save 15.6 million in 2023

- Gain a 2022 draft pick.

Is Option 1 worth more to the Falcons than Option 2?  Keep in mind the Falcons have negative cap space by 6.6 million.  So they need to clear that plus 11.6 million to cover their rookie draft slots, unless they trade away picks.  Add it up and they are projected to be in the red by 18.2 million.  So, in the red heavily, plus a roster that can't compete, a difficult cap situation, and an aging QB.  Moving Matt Ryan is a very real conversation I'm sure that franchise is having.

Yes, Option 1 is better for Atlanta.

40 million for a player not on your roster is not worth anything

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

We got the player we wanted in Haskins spot anyways.

So watching the game…

Willis’ height does seem to effect him a little bit. Looks like he’s putting a lot of effort into his throws. Strong arm besides one slight under throw on an out outside the hashes, but complete. Good mobility but he looked like he was one read and out the back door again. Looked good on his first drive though.

He clearly has a gun and great pocket presence....some of the throws I saw him make were rockets. I like his moxy but I have no clue on what this week shows for his NFL potential. I do know that being undersized is not a positive but apparently he was the best QB of the week from what everyone is saying. He looks like a guy who needs to be developed for at least 1-2 years before he's thrown to the wolves from what I can see. 

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I know we are all hoping for Carr or Wilson but I am starting to think they will not be traded. Trubisky was 29-21 as starter. 

I'm with you....the most realistic option for me, right now, and most gettable QB if we want him is Trubisky, and if McDermott endorses him to RR then he'd be the guy I roll with for starters. Trubisky has tools and just got a year to learn the position in a great system behind a stud. This is the way to go if I'm RR....Give Trubisky a 2-3 year deal at a team friendly rate, maybe 2 years with an option on year 3 worth 10 mil a year....that's what we paid Fitzpatrick. It might be an overpay but the risk is necessary for a team in limbo. I'm completely operating under the premise that Trubisky has grown in his year to learn and was given up on by a bad staff and can be resurrected by a team the can build around him. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yes, Option 1 is better for Atlanta.

It could be.  They have an uphill battle ahead of them.  They have no resources to roll the dice with, but Tom Brady and Sean Payton did just leave their division via retirement. Maybe they can convince Calvin Ridley to come back to the team.  If he doesn't, their #1, #2, #3, and #4 WR's by targets are all Free Agents.  Their #2, and #3 TE's by targets are also free agents.  Their #1 weapon/RB who scored over 1/3rd of their total touchdowns is also a free agent.  And they have negative money to re-sign any of them.

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

40 million for a player not on your roster is not worth anything

I'm not going to get into the concept of sunk cost, so we'll just agree to disagree.

Why would any top-tier QB want to come to this, literal, sewage show?

What about taking the best QB available at 11 (I assume we assume he'll be better than TH), using the rest of the draft to shore up holes, and make some smart FA acquisitions with an eye towards further developing the team?  If after 1 year, the team thinks the #11 guy won't develop, we can then plow resources into "the guy" (and we'll have a decent 1st round pick if so).  If he can at least be competitive, continue to build the team.  You can't just tank or suck year after year hoping to land that prize QB -- you'll never develop the team and FAs won't want to come here.  We have a lot of young guys who need further development which TH doesn't have the arm for.  But why bother with a bridge QB?  It's not as if our OL is a sieve and the bridge QB plays to protect the rook from shell shock.  It's a good OL and it would make more sense for the rook QB to learn and practice his craft from jump street rather than have a lame duck in their who serves no purpose except to go 9-8 and lose in the WC round 17-9.

16 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'm not going to get into the concept of sunk cost, so we'll just agree to disagree.

Ironically, this is an example of dealing with a sunk cost.  You don't get dragged down by it just because it's been spent; you move on.  (Cf. Good money after bad)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

It could be.  They have an uphill battle ahead of them.  They have no resources to roll the dice with, but Tom Brady and Sean Payton did just leave their division via retirement. Maybe they can convince Calvin Ridley to come back to the team.  If he doesn't, their #1, #2, #3, and #4 WR's by targets are all Free Agents.  Their #2, and #3 TE's by targets are also free agents.  Their #1 weapon/RB who scored over 1/3rd of their total touchdowns is also a free agent.  And they have negative money to re-sign any of them.

I understand what a sunk cost is. Ryan isnt an example of that (imo). He's playing fairly well still and it's not like his departure will improve the team for the 40M against the cap to be a help to the franchise. That 8M in savings isn't doing much for them.

So what I'm saying is: I'm not convinced moving Ryan maximizes utility in order for this to become a sunk cost fallacy.

Next season is probably a better shot at seeing it happen, again, in my opinion.

Edited by KDawg

1 minute ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Atlanta might as well bottom out, sell off, let their FAs walk, and start looking towards the future.  I envy them in a way.  We're going to struggle to stay medium.

I can see why this would be attractive, but the question is what could Atlanta fetch for Ryan?

If it's less than a 1st, is that draft pick worth the 40M hit and losing a quality player? Worded different... is a 3rd rounder +8M worth the 40M dead cap hit for a player no longer on the roster? Maybe the answer is yes. I don't think so. But I guess I could buy the argument to the point its not absurd.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

I think the default post Senior Bowl winner was Corral.

He avoided a week of intense, under the microscope scrutiny and nitpicking (ie lets find their faults) from the assembled scouts and NFL personnel.

While the other qbs may have had flashes that caught your eye overall they seem to be a mediocre bunch with some potential but also some very serious flaws. 

He will likely excell in personal  interviews and on the chalk board-- which btw Rivera seems to prefer over dog and pony shows.

If Corral does well at both the combine (assuming he goes to it) and his pro day he will likely be the first qb chosen and the only rookie I would even consider moving up for.

Acquiring a second tier vet seems like a neccesity at this point. 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm with you....the most realistic option for me, right now, and most gettable QB if we want him is Trubisky, and if McDermott endorses him to RR then he'd be the guy I roll with for starters. Trubisky has tools and just got a year to learn the position in a great system behind a stud. This is the way to go if I'm RR....Give Trubisky a 2-3 year deal at a team friendly rate, maybe 2 years with an option on year 3 worth 10 mil a year....that's what we paid Fitzpatrick. It might be an overpay but the risk is necessary for a team in limbo. I'm completely operating under the premise that Trubisky has grown in his year to learn and was given up on by a bad staff and can be resurrected by a team the can build around him. 

With Trubisky we're still a team in limbo.

And why are you talking about Trubisky like he's a rookie? He's been in the NFL for 5 years. If it's taking him 5 years to learn to play the position in the pros, then that's a huge warning sign. There's no reason to believe that he somehow absorbed being a good QB from Josh Allen.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1