Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

A lot of hype in the game for Sterns. He’s having a big day too. I’ve read about it and they are talking about it on the broadcast that he’s super close with Zappe.

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Boy has he. I think the announcer stated all 5 starting OL received conference recognition. 

You called it on Sterns too, he is a good player

I just happened to read a story on Sterns this morning otherwise he wouldn’t have been on my radar.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

And if Zappe sets a new touchdown record, there's a good chance that historic pass will land in the hands of Jerreth Sterns, a guy who nearly played QB at Army, now the nation's most prolific receiver.

"I wouldn't say it's destiny," Sterns said. "But it's something like that. Each of us, we text every day. We have that same chip on our shoulder. We have the same mindset about the game. And I think that just makes it even more special."

...Sterns was committed to Army, where he planned to play quarterback in the option offense, but Kittley made a similar pitch -- 50 to 60 catches a year, he said -- to lure the speedy receiver to Houston Baptist.

In 2018, the new Air Raid scheme produced results. Zappe threw 23 touchdowns. Sterns had 68 receptions. In 2019, Zappe threw for 35 touchdowns and nearly 4,000 yards, while Sterns caught 105 balls. The 2020 season might have been the crescendo, but when the pandemic hit, the prospects of a season nearly disappeared altogether.

With the COVID-19 pandemic raging in the summer of 2020, most FBS teams shifted their schedule to the spring. A handful of teams, however, opted for abridged fall campaigns, made up entirely of non-conference games. For Houston Baptist, this meant playing three straight games against FBS competition -- including a road trip to Texas Tech.

The game would prove to be a turning point for Kittley, Zappe and Sterns.

NFL scouts aren't viewing Zappe as a product of a gimmicky system either. At 6-1, 220 pounds, the 22-year-old senior has the look of an NFL QB, and ESPN's Mel Kiper ranks Zappe seventh among quarterbacks eligible for this year's draft.

Sterns, meanwhile, has firmly established his credentials as one of the most elusive receivers in the nation. In an offense designed to get him into space, Sterns has racked up 1,041 yards this season -- after the catch. It's a number that would put him ahead of all but 28 other receivers in total yardage in 2021.

"There's a misconception of the Air Raid," Zappe said. "This is not that. [Kittley] has made his own wrinkles, and I'm sure 10 years from now, we'll be talking about coach Kittley's Air Raid tree."

Zappe said he's proud to be one of the roots of that tree, but what thinks about most is how the real magic of this journey with Kittley and Sterns is the way they've made each other better -- each piece integral to navigating this twisting trail.

There was a moment last month after Western Kentucky topped Marshall to secure a spot in the Conference USA championship game, when Zappe was coming off the field and found his two football partners. First, there was a feeling of relief, Zappe said. How many critics had they proved wrong along the way? How many coaches had overlooked them?

How many moments were there when the whole recipe might have collapsed, if fate hadn't intervened in just the right way? But quickly that gave way to elation. They'd taken the ride together, and that's what made it worthwhile.

"It makes everything worth it that we've endured," Zappe said. "All three of us together in that moment in time, it was just awesome. It was surreal."

• Like 2

“First thing that I noticed about Bailey was not his arm strength or anything, but just how smart he is,” HBU receiver Jerreth Sterns said. “He’s just real smart and it was like separating from all the other quarterbacks – he knows the checks to make, knows the defense they’re in. That’s when I realized he was going to be something serious.” 

However, Zappe’s career changed in 2018. Shealy decided his offense needed to be more productive, and turned to Texas Tech graduate assistant and air raid aficionado Zach Kittley, son of national title-winning Red Raiders track coach Wes Kittley. It took one practice for Kittley, then 26, to realize Zappe was the guy. 

The air raid has a reputation for being quarterback-friendly, but it can be difficult to learn the timing and finer points of running the offense. But with Zappe’s ability to take things from the meeting room to the practice field and later the game, that was never an issue. 

“I don’t limit anything for him, he can handle anything that I ask of him to handle,” Kittley said. “He gets the script, he takes it home, he studies it to where on Saturdays, I might be signaling in a play and I’m halfway through and he already knows.” 

By this point in his career, Shealy estimates that Zappe calls almost two-thirds of the plays just with his pre-snap checks and changes at the line, a staple of the most effective air raid systems. Uncoincidentally, the offense also jumped nearly 200 yards per game en route to becoming one of the nation’s best. 

“Bailey is very much a coach on the field and I think he’s able to take our scheme and it fits him because it allows him to be the driving machine behind it all,” Shealy said. 

Before the 2020 season, Dave Campbell'sTexas Football named Zappe to the Preseason All-Texas Small College team, the only sub-FBS quarterback on the list. Still, Zappe’s improvement from Year 3 to Year 4 beats even our wildest expectations. 

Through two games, Zappe leads Division I with 1,047 passing yards and seven touchdowns. Three of the top five FBS passers reside in the state of Texas, but no other QB in America clears even Shane Buechele’s 750 passing yards – and Zappe is doing it against higher-level competition. 

While Houston Baptist’s strong start is a Zappe success story, it also speaks to the way the program is growing. Sterns only had offers from Ivy League schools, service academies and HBU. His brother Josh only had HBU. Ratzlaff didn’t have any D-I interest coming out of high school and went to a JUCO. Now, all three are running circles around FBS programs. 

“It just helps us so much,” Jerreth Sterns said. “Anytime he’s in an article, he mentions our name. Anytime he does something great, it just puts us more in the spotlight and gives us and opportunity to get our way to the next level hopefully.” 

Perhaps more importantly, Shealy has prioritized bringing in numbers and bulk on the offensive line. Staying upright and healthy against Big 12 defensive linemen is no guarantee, but the newfound depth mixed with Zappe’s innate ability to zoom through the pocket has kept things moving with ease. 

“We’ve given Bailey so much more time and a cleaner pocket to throw the football,” Shealy said. “When you do have a talented quarterback that has a great football mind, you let him focus on the play and reading defenses instead of running for his life.”

While college football might be overlooking Zappe, the next level is not. NFL scouts from the Raiders, Packers and Seahawks have already started doing their due-diligence – and those are three franchises that know something about quarterbacks. 

However, his best endorsement might be from Kittley, who came to Houston Baptist after working closely with NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes and Davis Webb at Texas Tech. He knows what professional quarterbacks look like. 

“He can do it all,” Kittley said. “He’s light on his feet, he’s got great pocket awareness, and really just being able to see him operate an offense...there’s

zero doubt in my mind that Bailey Zappe is going to be an NFL guy.” 

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/09/23/houston-baptist-s-bailey-zappe-is-america’s-most-underrated-quarterback?ref=related_title

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Willis hasn't done a lot tonight so far. He did just have an impressive long throw that was called back.

He has shown some of his athleticism by escaping pressure a few times

He followed up a few plays later with a deep completion, beauty of a pass. Earlier in the game he had another one, too.

The play that was called back showed off some sick level of talent, escaping pressure, spinning around to the left (which is a harder side for a righty to throw from especially when they are off balance) and then throwing a dime way down the field with velocity.

• Like 2

Let me get this straight--if you commit a facemask and successfully pull the QB's helmet off--without getting him down--the offense is punished by having the play blown dead and losing the yardage to the spot of the foul.  Oh and the QB has to sit out of the next play too.

That is the ****ing dumbest rule in the book.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Let me get this straight--if you commit a facemask and successfully pull the QB's helmet off--without getting him down--the offense is punished by having the play blown dead and losing the yardage to the spot of the foul.  Oh and the QB has to sit out of the next play too.

That is the ****ing dumbest rule in the book.

Hugh Freeze isn’t impressed by that call either.  😂 certainly a flaw in the rule because you shouldn’t be penalized for having your gear literally ripped off.

1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

Hugh Freeze isn’t impressed by that call either.  😂 certainly a flaw in the rule because you shouldn’t be penalized for having your gear literally ripped off.

It should have been a 15 yard penalty on the defense.  That seems like common sense.

God this kid is so good.  I want us to get him more than any other player in the draft.

And I am a fan of Taylor Heinicke.  But this kid is different.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

God this kid is so good.  I want us to get him more than any other player in the draft.

And I am a fan of Taylor Heinicke.  But this kid is different.

He is loaded with talent but will need work. Am to take it that you think the staff will be able to turn him into a top starter?

I believe so but I am asking because this is where you have been very skeptical. 

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah, I could easily go for Willis as our number 1. He has some scrambling abilities I like. I like his deep ball. Decision making is something I need to learn more about but why is he called raw? It's he as raw as Lance, Fields and Jones last year? 

Lance looked way more raw than any of them.

I didn't see Jones as raw by the end of last year. Each week he faced and took on big games and top competition, proving himself and growing each week.

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

He is loaded with talent but will need work. Am to take it that you think the staff will be able to turn him into a top starter?

I believe so but I am asking because this is where you have been very skeptical. 

I wouldn't pass over superior talent out of fear of incompetency in my coaching staff.  Or worse, to hide that incompetency.

The coaches also need to understand that their next QB is their final one as coaches of the Washington Football Team.  They'd need to be 100% on board with coaching the kid, because if he fails, then they need to go.

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wouldn't pass over superior talent out of fear of incompetency in my coaching staff.  Or worse, to hide that incompetency.

The coaches also need to understand that their next QB is their final one as coaches of the Washington Football Team.  They'd need to be 100% on board with coaching the kid, because if he fails, then they need to go.

I must admit, I chuckled a little at your total negativity on this staff subject. Not that they haven't earned some but hard for me to see the degree you see.

I'd imagine they know they are going to need to hit on the next QB move or they are done. I figure that's why some here are even on board with drafting 2 QB's.

I am happy that I have finally been able to sit and watch Willis. I now know he is worth drafting early.

Edited by DWinzit

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I must admit, I chuckled a little at your total negativity on this staff subject. Not that they haven't earned some but hard for me to see the degree you see.

I'd imagine they know they are going to need to hit on the next QB move or they are done. I figure that's why some here are even on board with drafting 2 QB's.

I am happy that I have finally been able to sit and watch Willis. Am now know he is worth drafting early.

I'm definitely not totally negative about the staff, and being critical of the mistakes that Rivera and the offensive coaches have made should be normal.

I know you're not advocating this, but drafting two QBs is ****ing stupid, I'm sorry.  Can we please just nuke this idea from existence?  The only team that was moronic enough to actually do this (us) had it end in complete disaster and an eye-watering waste of resources.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm definitely not totally negative about the staff, and being critical of the mistakes that Rivera and the offensive coaches have made should be normal.

Being critical is fair for sure. I guess it has just been you rang that bell harder than anyone else 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Though I still want to see what happens with the senior bowl 

I am looking forward the Senior Bowl. For years the senior bowl was meh, the talent level the past couple years has dramatically increased.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I am looking forward the Senior Bowl. For years the senior bowl was meh, the talent level the past couple years has dramatically increased.

Yeah I am interested in seeing the play in the Senior Bowl.  But also i am interested in hearing Jim Nagy's behind the scenes takes of who these dudes are.

I've read enough from different coaches whethers its Arians, Gibbs, Shanny and plenty of others is that the X factor especially for a QB is their personality, smarts, leadership and committment to the game.   

I've read my share of books about the Pats and Tom Brady.  Based on what I've read, Brady isn't a freak because he's a freak talent and talent wise he just couldn't be denied.    He's a freak because mentally he was a freak.  His preparation and drive was off the charts.    These college kids are all different cats just like any of us are.  Nagy has talked about this a ton and has nailed some really good ones off of his observations about how these players roll and interact behind the scenes.  Other coaches have talked about one of the main things they've gotten out of the Senior Bowl is to see how these players behind the scenes prepare.  Scouts have talked about they don't like to just watch college players in games but also love to see these guys practice and how they interact in that setting and some college coaches including Saban will give them some access to that.  I read a story about how some Jets scout posed as a cab driver to pick up a draft prospect at the airport, just to see how he would interact with him.  A bunch of stories like that exist. 

I'll suffer the wrath of @stevemcqueen1 as for being expletive stupid on this 😀.  I respect @stevemcqueen1 but IMO I disagree with him on this.  We see a lot of things the same but differ some on the philosophy around QBs.  Having said that, I don't really have a hard opinion for or against taking multiple QBs.  To me it depends on context.  I am not in theory for or against taking two QBs.   Depends on how things go down.  What happened in 2012 is they had Kirk rated as a 2nd rounder and he fell to the 4th.   As they even said later on, the thought was they could trade Kirk years later.  The Pats and Eagles over the years did stuff like this and got a nice bounty for their finds.   Whether it was the same draft or another one, doesn't matter to me, the same principle plays into, they kept doing it.   And at a minimum you hopefully have a good backup and cheap one.   

So I am absolutely fine with taking 2 QBs if they take one in the middle rounds.  A 4th round player is typically a bust statisitically speaking.  Taking Kirk wasn't a mistake.  Heck if Bruce had any brains to him, we'd have gotten the 2nd overall pick in the 2017 draft for Kirk and change.  Jay said he heard two first rounders.   RG3 fell off the map, Kirk gave them some competitive football for a few years.   I think few people think the 2012 move is stupid is now.  Plenty have said thankfully for the WFT they did Kirk otherwise that 2012 trade would look like a total diasaster.  And this is coming from one of the bigger RG3 fans on the planet at one point.  Dallas took Aikman and then took S. Walsh.  Aikman was proven to be the dude and they traded Walsh for a bounty.  We could have been the same but we were too stupid. 

We weren't stupid because we set ourselves up for the bounty in the first place but stupid because we didn't pull the trigger.  But that's just my opinion.  The irony is the other time we did it Shuler and Gus -- no one thought later we were stupid to take Gus.  And no i don't blame Shuler's failures on Gus or RG3's failures on Kirk.  It's football.  Forget QB.  Sometimes a 7th rounder like Kam Curl is just better than Derrick Forrest, another safety, who was taken earlier.   There is a crap shoot element to the draft.  And that goes double for QB.  Taking multiple shots to get it right isn't crazy.  The Cards weren't nuts to take Kyler Murray after taking Rosen the year before.  Sometimes you swing and miss on players, it happens at every spot and every round.

• Like 5