Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Bailey Zappe from W. kentucky is intriguing.  Heard Nagy talking about him today on Moving the Sticks and how excited they are to have him at the Senior Bowl.  Too bad his receivers can't catch or he'd be having a heck of a game tonight.  He's throwing darts.

• Like 1

Hutchinson vs Thibs feels like Joey Bosa vs Myles Garrett.  You're good either way and both are really good prospects who I think are being undersold by draft people.  I think they are slam dunk top ten talents in virtually any draft class.  They are so athletic and their production has been pretty strong.  People look back at the 2011 class as the gold standard for DL prospects given it produced Vonn Miller and JJ Watt and Cam Jordan and Aldon Smith and Cam Heyward.  None of those guys were as productive in their draft season as Hutchinson has been.  Von Miller had 10.5 sacks, JJ Watt had 7, Cam Jordan had 5.5, Aldon Smith had 4.5, and Heyward had 2.5.  You project the traits with these guys regardless of the production, high level production is just a bonus and a proof that these guys can make an impact.

Thibs feels more versatile to me, and he's got a longer history of excellence at the college level since he was a beast as a true freshman.  He's super powerful and an awesome run defender and I like the impact he can make when he lines up inside.  So if I had the first overall pick I suppose I would draft him, but I can certainly see a case for picking Hutchinson instead.  He's been more dominant this season and is bigger and a better athlete with more single season production.  King sized DE like the Bosas are and I feel like there is very little chance he busts.

The QBs are what is dampening enthusiasm for this class and causing people to miss just how good this first round crop is.  It's a flawed group of QBs no doubt, and there is no consensus on who QB1 is.  Brugler has Pickett as QB1 and Howell as QB2, but to me Willis and Corral are firmly QB1 and QB2 because their athletic traits are so much better than the other guys in the class.

Brugler has us picking Corral at 19 and that feels like a pretty great outcome for us given he has all of the good DLs + Lloyd/Dean + Hamilton/Stingley + the good OLs + Garrett Wilson getting picked before our choice.  I'd pick Willis in that scenario but I'd be happy about Corral too and he feels like a Ron Rivera type of kid.

Truth be told though what I'd really want to see if the draft played out like that is to commit to Heinicke and pick Drake London.  London would be the perfect final piece of our WR group IMO, and bring something different to the table from Terry and Curtis.  Pick another RB in the second or third round and I feel like we would finally have a full suite of weapons to compete on an even footing with the championship caliber offenses of the league.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watching Lloyd for the first time tonight. I get the hype wow. Instincts. Range. Bull dozer of a tackler. Wrecking ball. 

He's fun and I think he's going to end up a draft thread favorite this year.  Brugler has him now going in his top ten to the Giants at 6 and then they get Tyler Linderbaum at 7 which would ****ing suck.

Kind of bummed out that he's gaining steam as a top ten pick because I thought we'd be able to make a wild card run and still be in range to get him.  But perhaps even more intriguing is that he's got us getting Corral at 19.  That would be a game changer if we could just hang tight with our natural first rounder and get our top choice at QB.

• Like 3

Lloyd now with a pick 6. He’s already having a monster game 

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's fun and I think he's going to end up a draft thread favorite this year.  Brugler has him now going in his top ten to the Giants at 6 and then they get Tyler Linderbaum at 7 which would ****ing suck.

Yeah, granted its a small sample for me.  But based on what I've seen no way he escapes top 10.  I'd hate to see him in this division against us. 

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Neither Ridder or Corral make me think of Mahomes stylistically.   But if I had to make a comparison, I think Corral is the better off platform playmaker compared to Ridder albeit Ridder makes some off platform throws, too.   Both guys can scramble in the pocket but not in Mahomes league IMO.   Both have decent arms but not a rocket like Mahomes IMO. 

Ridder is a really good athlete and I really like his make up but I was kind of disappointed by his arm.  He throws some ducks and I don't think he's got the arm to throw fastball strikes on the move so you see a lot of inconsistency in his placement.

Corral OTOH has excellent arm talent IMO.  I think he's second only to Willis in that regard, and his speed is pretty good if not quite great.  He reaches the edge on designed runs and scrambles against SEC speed.  And I feel like his pocket movement and footwork is blazing fast and he doesn't need to gather himself to get set up or change directions at all.  I'm cautious and think he could benefit from some bench time early in his career given he's going to have to learn to huddle and play from behind center, and I also think his teams are going to need a good OL and a good back up QB because he's going to get beat up in the NFL given his playstyle and stature.  But I see a lot of what I liked about Zach Wilson in him.

I like that he could ride the pine behind Heinicke for at least his first year, but his fit starts to become awkward if Heinicke really takes ownership of the starting role.  At that point, spending a first round pick on a developmental QB would become a major luxury since Taylor is on 28, and we could gain more benefit from using that asset on a WR or OL or defender.  That's the major wet blanket on Matt Corral for me, but we should also have a better feel about our future with Heinicke by the end of this season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kind of bummed out that he's gaining steam as a top ten pick because I thought we'd be able to make a wild card run and still be in range to get him.  But perhaps even more intriguing is that he's got us getting Corral at 19.  That would be a game changer if we could just hang tight with our natural first rounder and get our top choice at QB.

It's a funky draft as for Qbs.   And if teams see these guys ike the mock drafters do, there won't be the typical consensus on these guys.  As for how that plays out on draft day, who knows?  

But yeah I'd be jazzed to get Corral, that's been my guy among the QBs.   Agree that he would be a Rivera type including coming from a militarty family, etc. 

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

Ridder is a really good athlete and I really like his make up but I was kind of disappointed by his arm.  He throws some ducks and I don't think he's got the arm to throw fastball strikes on the move so you see a lot of inconsistency in his placement.

Ridder can sling it from my observation when he steps into his throws.  But some mock draft types IMO overrate his arm strength, some think he has a rocket and I wouldn't go that far.

My issues with Ridder is inconsistency accuracy, oddly in particular with easy stuff in the flat like screens and hitches.  And his decision making to me is suspect.  He hits me as the kind of dude that if you surround him with a killer supporting group, he might thrive.  Because his accuracy oddly becomes laser sharp good when receivers get open with a good cushion and if you give Ridder time to throw.  He can play a bit frenetic after getting hit and he seems to my eyes to lose some confidence when he has to throw in tight windows.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Corral OTOH has excellent arm talent IMO.  I think he's second only to Willis in that regard, and his speed is pretty good if not quite great.  He reaches the edge on designed runs and scrambles against SEC speed.  And I feel like his pocket movement and footwork is blazing fast and he doesn't need to gather himself to get set up or change directions at all.  I'm cautious and think he could benefit from some bench time early in his career given he's going to have to learn to huddle and play from behind center, and I also think his teams are going to need a good OL and a good back up QB because he's going to get beat up in the NFL given his playstyle and stature.  But I see a lot of what I liked about Zach Wilson in him.

I like that he could ride the pine behind Heinicke for at least his first year, but his fit starts to become awkward if Heinicke really takes ownership of the starting role.  At that point, spending a first round pick on a developmental QB would become a major luxury since Taylor is on 28, and we could gain more benefit from using that asset on a WR or OL or defender.  That's the major wet blanket on Matt Corral for me, but we should also have a better feel about our future with Heinicke by the end of this season.

Corral IMO can hit a ceiling that Heinicke perhaps cannot.  Earlier in the season I compared Corral stylistically some to Heinicke.  Corral's college offense is heavily RPOs the reads are simple -- so I hesitate on that some.  Also Corral has a thin frame and plays somewhat recklessly so I am afraid of him getting hurt.  But otherwise Corral to me is a fun watch.  He's a baller like Heinicke.   in some ways, he reminds me of a much stronger arm and likely faster version of Taylor.   Corral also like Taylor is a really emotional player on the field.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Man I love Noah Sewell too.  This is a fun linebacker game.

Didn't realize there was a sewell on both sides. I was half paying attention, on account of my local team making their way to state, are they brothers?

43 minutes ago, RoseHill said:

Didn't realize there was a sewell on both sides. I was half paying attention, on account of my local team making their way to state, are they brothers?

Yes, and they have two more brothers who played college ball: Penei who also played at Oregon, and Gabriel who played at Nevada.

I may be proven wrong years from now but Thibiduex is way overhyped. Like a back end first round talent. I also do not see the dog in him. Everyone has talent in the NFL but what sets you apart is effort and growth year to year. He’s been anointed since high school but was better his freshman year then now. Hutchinson number 1 pick is insane. Great player, great effort but 7-15 type. 

For WFT. I would be interested in medical for Carson Strong. He gets the knee cleaned up/full surgery takes a year off and we stick with Heneicke and backup next year. I saw him compete with San Diego St defense with a lesser team on one leg.

32 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I may be proven wrong years from now but Thibiduex is way overhyped. Like a back end first round talent. I also do not see the dog in him. Everyone has talent in the NFL but what sets you apart is effort and growth year to year. He’s been anointed since high school but was better his freshman year then now. Hutchinson number 1 pick is insane. Great player, great effort but 7-15 type. 

He's been playing hurt this season and his team is in disarray and completely demoralized because it seems like everyone knows his coach is about to leave for Miami except us.  No need to overthink him, he's good.  He is brutally physical and powerful and explosive and he's going to walk onto an NFL field as a fully grown athlete with his man strength and explosiveness at 21 years old.

Thibodeaux has had the kinds of game wrecker performances that Aidan Hutchinson had against Ohio State since his freshman year.  This year he played hurt and still put up elite pass rush grades and he's also a really powerful edge defender against the run.  Every team that plays Oregon has been gameplanning him the past two years and he can wreck a game any time they let up on him.  He's an elite edge player and prospect.

Guys who dominate at 18 years old like he did are obvious warrior elite.  That kind of athleticism will translate immediately to the NFL.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Thib is very overrated. Wasn’t that great last year.

He was first team Pac-12 defense last year.  It's not like he was bad.  And last year was a very disrupted season for everyone in the Pac-12.

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Corral IMO can hit a ceiling that Heinicke perhaps cannot.  Earlier in the season I compared Corral stylistically some to Heinicke.  Corral's college offense is heavily RPOs the reads are simple -- so I hesitate on that some.  Also Corral has a thin frame and plays somewhat recklessly so I am afraid of him getting hurt.  But otherwise Corral to me is a fun watch.  He's a baller like Heinicke.   in some ways, he reminds me of a much stronger arm and likely faster version of Taylor.   Corral also like Taylor is a really emotional player on the field. 

Yeah I can see that too.  He's in the Mahomes-school of QB swagger.  He plays big and tough and he's a surprisingly strong runner given his small stature, but yeah, he is going to get hurt and miss games.  He's like Zack Wilson (or Taylor Heinicke) in that you have to approach him knowing you're going to need a really good back up QB each season, but while he's out there, your offense can be explosive.

I think the thing I like about him best, aside from the arm talent and athletic traits, is the way he stays so locked in to the game.  He takes his drops at light speed.  He darts around in the pocket.  He puts everything into his runs and scrambles.  He's got a little-man try hard energy to him that is very infectious and that draws another comparison to Heinicke.  I think Ole Miss actually suffers some from never huddling because I would like to see how the other guys respond to his intensity and emotion.

The timing for drafting him here is kind of awkward though.  I think he'd benefit from a redshirt season, and we do have Heinicke under contract for another year.  But Heinicke is too young and too unestablished to be a bridge QB.  There's a chance for things to really go off the rails with a plan to draft Corral and redshirt him like that.  Maybe you mess up the mojo of the team and Heinicke bombs and you have to start Corral too early.  Or Heinicke could just win the job outright and then you've wasted a first round pick on a QB prospect you can no longer play on his rookie deal.  The odds of getting that first round pick back for a QB prospect who doesn't play are super low.  It would have been better for us to have Corral to pick in last year's draft.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Thibodeaux has had the kinds of game wrecker performances that Aidan Hutchinson had against Ohio State since his freshman year.  This year he played hurt and still put up elite pass rush grades and he's also a really powerful edge defender against the run.  Every team that plays Oregon has been gameplanning him the past two years and he can wreck a game any time they let up on him.  He's an elite edge player and prospect.

Guys who dominate at 18 years old like he did are obvious warrior elite.  That kind of athleticism will translate immediately to the NFL.

He was first team Pac-12 defense last year.  It's not like he was bad.  And last year was a very disrupted season for everyone in the Pac-12.

Never said he was bad. He’s just not top edge good. Good talent that is overrated. 

All-Conference awards don’t always matter in my mind when it comes to pro prospectus, so that doesn’t move the needle for me.

52 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah I can see that too.  He's in the Mahomes-school of QB swagger.  He plays big and tough and he's a surprisingly strong runner given his small stature, but yeah, he is going to get hurt and miss games.  He's like Zack Wilson (or Taylor Heinicke) in that you have to approach him knowing you're going to need a really good back up QB each season, but while he's out there, your offense can be explosive.

I think the thing I like about him best, aside from the arm talent and athletic traits, is the way he stays so locked in to the game.  He takes his drops at light speed.  He darts around in the pocket.  He puts everything into his runs and scrambles.  He's got a little-man try hard energy to him that is very infectious and that draws another comparison to Heinicke.  I think Ole Miss actually suffers some from never huddling because I would like to see how the other guys respond to his intensity and emotion.

The timing for drafting him here is kind of awkward though.  I think he'd benefit from a redshirt season, and we do have Heinicke under contract for another year.  But Heinicke is too young and too unestablished to be a bridge QB.  There's a chance for things to really go off the rails with a plan to draft Corral and redshirt him like that.  Maybe you mess up the mojo of the team and Heinicke bombs and you have to start Corral too early.  Or Heinicke could just win the job outright and then you've wasted a first round pick on a QB prospect you can no longer play on his rookie deal.  The odds of getting that first round pick back for a QB prospect who doesn't play are super low.  It would have been better for us to have Corral to pick in last year's draft.

I don’t know man, I’m coming around to TH being a nice bridge qb for a rook, and I don’t just mean in terms of level of play.  He’s got the fire, work ethic and desire to grow/learn that a young guy can really take from, let alone at least some of the technical aspects - reading defenses, setting protections, etc.  

Obviously we could find ourselves starting the rook too early (qb injuries alone have been an Achilles heel for this team), but I doubt we force them into a Ramsey/David Carr situation.  Frankly, I’m almost more concerned by the prospect that the rookie wins the starting job in the offseason because judging by this past offseason, TH could struggle a bit in more of a practice setting.  A guy like Corral or Willis, with some similar attributes to TH though could be a nice fit.  Only draft them if you’re comfortable with the intangibles of course, then coach up the technical side while Heinicke holds the reins.

• Like 1