Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Something similar happened to Rattled at the beginning of last year too.  He might be a slow starter who takes a while to get rolling.

I get the feeling from watching Rattler that he's not ready for the NFL and that he should probably stay another year. RS Sophomore is young and his offense isn't clicking.  But I do see the potential with him.  He's the most creative passer in the class IMO.  Arm talent is good and, I don't know about as a runner, but he's got some DeShaun Watson or Kyle Murray in him as a thrower.  He sees throwing lanes through the pressure that are unusual.  And he can hit his spots without squaring up to his target in a way that is special.  And I also think that he's tough and it's good that he's facing adversity and working through it.

Agreed. I think he’s the best talent in this group. Questions are: can he get it together now, does he need more seasoning, do teams need a strong running game for the beginning of the season if he’s their QB?

I have a feeling these questions are going to answer themselves 

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

A bunch. Corral, Willis, Howell, Rattler, Daniels, among others. Some are struggling a little right now but it’s early.

Alright KDawg, who ya like? - gotta keep my eye on these guys, cause we don't have a future solution on the roster, so I might as well start paying attention on Saturdays

Intrigued by Rattler, got to watch more.  It's hard for me to miss though that he's the dude I stumble on character concerns mentioned here and there when I read about the QB prospects.  True or not, I don't know.  But i've learned over time to trust that kind of criticism because its borne out for some players I followed before the draft especially at QB.  I recall some here for example questioning K. Toney based on rumblings about him.  I was aware of the rumblings but heck who knows how valid they are?  But over time, a lot of that stuff seem to come to fruition.  Toney right now seems to be seen as a hewadaxche in NY for example.   I recall the questions about Rosen among other QBs, also borne out.  

Conversely, the dudes who are billed as special as far as their intangibles go -- leadership, work ethic, etc -- tend to do well in the NFL all being equal. 

https://profootballmania.com/2021/09/10/what-weaknesses-does-spencer-rattler-have/

Something else that has come into question about the Sooners’ star is his character and leadership qualities. Many of those criticisms come from his time on a Netflix show called “QB1” which chronicles the senior seasons of three top quarterbacks each year. Rattler appeared on the show before enrolling at Oklahoma and many believe that the way he carried himself was off-putting and not the way you would expect a quarterback to act. 

https://www.azcentral.com/sports/

Jack Borowsky writes: "The slide stops here for Rattler. He is a very talented quarterback but there are some character concerns there.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I can't believe that Jags traded Henderson so soon and for such a questionable return.  I absolutely love that trade for Carolina.  I was a Henderson fan during his draft year and he and Horn will make up a super talented young CB tandem.

I'm more than a little envious of what Carolina is doing.  That defense has so much young talent on it and they're loaded with weapons on offense.  If they actually salvage Sam Darnold's career and get him to live up to his potential, I'm going to super impressed.  Damn.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can't believe that Jags traded Henderson so soon and for such a questionable return.  I absolutely love that trade for Carolina.  I was a Henderson fan during his draft year and he and Horn will make up a super talented young CB tandem.

I'm more than a little envious of what Carolina is doing.  That defense has so much young talent on it and they're loaded with weapons on offense.  If they actually salvage Sam Darnold's career and get him to live up to his potential, I'm going to super impressed.  Damn.

Yeah. They're targeting all portions of the defence, from Derrick Brown, Gross-Matos and Burns, to Chinn, Horn and now Henderson. 

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One of my favs, painful to read.  I actually don't like rooting for players I liked in the draft to succeed if its elsewhere.   I was a big Chinn guy, too.  😧 

Yeah I'm really pulling for St Juste to figure it out because we desperately need improved corner play, but if I had been in charge, I would have drafted Tremble there.  A guy drawing Kittle comparisons would have been a perfect fit in our offense.

I still root for my draft favorites when they end up on other teams, for the most part.  It's their lives and I can be a fan of the football player without worrying about their team.  They win me over and it's always nice to see good young players realize their potential.

I definitely don't cry when they struggle if they end up on the Cowboys or Giants though, and yeah it does hurt a little when it was a favorite of yours and they end up kicking ass for those particular teams.

• Like 1

Devin Lloyd played safety and WR in H.S., which explains why his hands are so good.  My prediction is that he's going to be the draft thread favorite this year (outside of the QBs).  He's been dominant, and this is his third good season in a row so he's no one hit wonder.  I think he would have gotten a lot more preseason attention if the Pac-12 had played a full season last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah I'm really pulling for St Juste to figure it out because we desperately need improved corner play, but if I had been in charge, I would have drafted Tremble there.  A guy drawing Kittle comparisons would have been a perfect fit in our offense.

I still root for my draft favorites when they end up on other teams, for the most part.  It's their lives and I can be a fan of the football player without worrying about their team.  They win me over and it's always nice to see good young players realize their potential.

I definitely don't cry when they struggle if they end up on the Cowboys or Giants though, and yeah it does hurt a little when it was a favorite of yours and they end up kicking ass for those particular teams.

Yeah that is the more gracious way to do it.  Lets take a player I recall we both loved, Devonta Smith.  It pains me to see him on the Eagles.  😧  

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

From what I read from Jags fans, Henderson had become disillusioned with football, and coaches had to go to his house to talk him out of retiring from football.  My guess is the low return for him suggests that him walking away from the game is still a possibility.

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is painful too.  I liked Jamin Davis but saw him more of a later first round guy, this was the guy I wanted at 19. 😧. Considering our issues in coverage with the LB corp it looks like he would have been tailor made. 

He's not playing a ton of snaps so there is a small sample size to consider.  But yeah, he'd have been my pick too:

On 5/4/2021 at 12:39 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Cards on the table, who would you all have picked at each of the choices we had?  No hindsight and no hypothetical trades, who would you have picked in the moment?

For me:

19 - Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah

51 - Sam Cosmi

74 - Wyatt Davis

82 - Tommy Tremble

124 - Tylan Wallace

163 - Jamar Johnson

225 - Trey Smith

240 - Bryce Thompson

246 - Marvin Wilson

258 - Cade Johnson

I made that post two days after the draft, so this is not a hindsight situation.  If the draft had been held after the CFB season ended, I think Wu would have been our pick.

I feel like the beat reporters tried to soften up the fanbase for the Jamin Davis reach in the few weeks that constitute the time period between his pro-day and the draft.  There was a lot of first round buzz about him that began in that time frame and that's when I noticed a lot of fans becoming aware of him and forming their takes.  But I had Jamin as second round worthy, and I think he's basically played to that level.  That draft makes more sense to me if you swap the draft positions of him and Wu.

For the record, I was one of the early fans of Jamin in our draft thread.  It seemed like I was critical of him because I thought he was a reach in the first, but I liked him as a prospect in the second, and liked him way more than Pete Werner and Nick Bolton and the other linebackers in that tier.   Might have been wrong about Bolton but I don't think so yet.  I think I was clear-eyed about Jamin's draft value, and the reason for that is because I formed my take on him before his pro-day and didn't really change it as a result of his testing.

Seems strange to say after a year where Zaven, Jamin, and Parsons all went in the first round, but this is a better LBer class than last year's IMO.  I think Devin Lloyd is a better player than Zaven and Wu were, and the two Alabama LBers are really good too.  Nakobe Dean is good.  Skalski and Brandon Smith are pretty good.  That dude from Auburn looked good against Penn State.  And supposedly LSU and Iowa have good prospects but I haven't watched them yet.  Lloyd is the prize this year, but there could be 6 or 7 top 64 linebackers in this class.  Second round could be a sweet spot for the position again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Seems strange to say after a year where Zaven, Jamin, and Parsons all went in the first round, but this is a better LBer class than last year's IMO.  I think Devin Lloyd is a better player than Zaven and Wu were, and the two Alabama LBers are really good too.  Nakobe Dean is good.  Skalski and Brandon Smith are pretty good.  That dude from Auburn looked good against Penn State.  And supposedly LSU and Iowa have good prospects but I haven't watched them yet.  Lloyd is the prize this year, but there could be 6 or 7 top 64 linebackers in this class.  Second round could be a sweet spot for the position again.

Sepaking of my desire to root against players we didn't take -- Parsons definitely on that list.  Loved the player but was concerned like others here about his makeup.  I am sticking right now with my prediction back then, has a really good start to his career but flames out on his 2nd contract. 

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Parsons looked really lost out there until they put him on the line, but he's crushing it there.

I really wanted Bolton last year, but its hard to argue with the Cosmi pick.

We definitely should have picked Tremble. 

I liked Cosmi though props to @stevemcqueen1for being all over him early.   He put him on my radar.  I was a big time Tremble guy.  He just struck me as a prototype example of the type of TE who ends up better in the pros than in college ala Kittle, etc.   If there is a formula it would be a player who plays physical, can block and while didn't put up big production numbers you could easily see him put up the numbers if given a chance.  Tremble to me was the poster child for that.   I never really landed on a hard opinion on Bolton one way or another but I do recall you liking him.  My favorite mid round LB was Barnes who supposedly the Lions dumped Collins because of his emergence.

Although I wanted Koramoah more and I did think Jamin was a slight reach, I did like Jamin too.  I do think it will come for him.  He is raw.  He didn't really emerge in Kentucky until later last season.  He's got the tools, it will take him some time but I bet he will end up a good one. 

As for below, I am really curious to watch Ridder this Saturday versus Notre Dame.   I like Ridder, I have a hard time falling hard for him though, his accuracy can come and go but I am intrigued.

My major thing though is to see Corral versus Alabama.  Corral is the guy who intrigues me the most right now among the young QBs but i am not putting all my chips there yet -- I want to see if he rises to the occasion against a good defense or has a meltdown game like he had on occasion last year. 

• Like 1

Its WAY too early to figure out if we misdrafted.

Davis has played well as of late in a very limited sample.

I do think we need a backer or two this year. We've missed on too many. FA/draft I don't care but we need a huge upgrade.

Would have loved Barnes or Werner. Logan Wilson the year before. Kenneth Murray was a guy I really liked (we took Chase and I'm not hindsighting that). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Its WAY too early to figure out if we misdrafted.

Davis has played well as of late in a very limited sample.

I do think we need a backer or two this year. We've missed on too many. FA/draft I don't care but we need a huge upgrade.

Would have loved Barnes or Werner. Logan Wilson the year before. Kenneth Murray was a guy I really liked (we took Chase and I'm not hindsighting that). 

I haven't looked at FAs yet.  But I recall 2 years ago some liked Blake Martinez who ended up a stud for NY aside from his recent injury -- talk about a bad defense turning good after one year, that would be the Giants from 2019 season to 2020 season.  Martinez was part of that.  

Some of the insider beat reporters said we liked Milano in FA and were dissappointed when he decided to go back to Buffalo.  Another guy who is has really emerged big time this season.

I wonder if a veteran FA LB is also in the cards.    Considering Rivera said in the off season he thought the main thing missing for this defense is his new Kuechly, I think he will be hot to trot for that spot.  Kuechly had a ton of experience in college.  Jamin not so much.  

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wasn't that impressed with Ridder when I watched him against Indiana.  His extreme pedigree of winning is very appealing, but the play itself was meh.  TBH, I just didn't see a big difference between him and Kellen Mond.  He's a good prospect but my gut take was that he is a second rounder.

He was bad against Indiana.  I think he has better mobility than Mond though they both can move but plays with a similar flavor.