Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

13 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

he’s referring to the byrd rule isn’t he 

Not really. 

What he's proposing is "the majority party can ignore a filibuster, by simply ignoring rules". 

He may not be explicitly advocating eliminating the filibuster. But that's the effect he's advocating. 

Was not a good week for Biden and really soured me on him. The Syria strike, the walk away from student debt, doing nothing to punish MBS, wanting to charge reporters for tests, backing down from min wage because the parliamentarian said so. 

Didnt he campaign on Republicans coming together after Trump? How he knew how to work with republicans to get things passed lol? He can't even get all of his own party to support his nominations. So the working with republicans thing was extremely naive if he ever even really believed it.

Now that he should be aware of that, what’s next? I guess just roll over and fold and let a parliamentarian and the minority GOP just hold you hostage for 2 years on everything. 

better pass an expansion on the military budget. That’ll be the only thing he can get thru 

Biden’s biggest mistake was making  promises he should have known he wouldn’t be able to keep and would be used against him.  

That said a lot of the criticism I’m seeing reads as, ‘why doesn’t he do things the way I want them done?  If he doesn’t do them exactly that way he must have done nothing at all.’   

The admin needs to do better, but an imperfect Biden administration is a thousand times better than giving power to the nazi, terrorist, pandemic deniers who want a lot of us dead.  And yes, I do worry that may be the end result anyway, if more isn't done to protect against it.  

Edited by visionary
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, visionary said:

Biden’s biggest mistake was making  promises he should have known he wouldn’t be able to keep and would be used against him.  

That said a lot of the criticism I’m seeing reads as, ‘why doesn’t he do things the way I want them done?  If he doesn’t do them exactly that way he must have done nothing at all.’   

The admin needs to do better, but an imperfect Biden administration is a thousand times better than giving power to the nazi, terrorist, pandemic deniers who want a lot of us dead.  And yes, I do worry that may be the end result anyway, if more isn't done to protect against it.  

They need to work on and pass HR1:

H.R. 1: For the People Act of 2021

To expand Americans' access to the ballot box, reduce the influence of big money in politics, strengthen ethics rules for public servants, and implement other anti-corruption measures for the purpose of fortifying our democracy, and for other purposes.

This bill is in the first stage of the legislative process. It was introduced into Congress on January 4, 2021. It will typically be considered by committee next before it is possibly sent on to the House or Senate as a whole.

The House Majority Leader indicated on Feb 22, 2021 that this bill may be considered in the week ahead.

This bill is scheduled for the following committee meetings:
Mar 1, 2021 1 p.m. — House Committee on Rules

Prognosis:  52% chance of being enacted according to Skopos Labs (details)

Click on the link for more

On 2/25/2021 at 4:38 PM, Cooked Crack said:

And the grift goes on...

Liberty Counsel Falsely Claims Equality Act Would Force Religious Schools to Hire Pedophiles and ‘Goat Lovers’

Religious-right fearmongering about the Equality Act, which would add sexual orientation and gender identity protections to federal civil rights laws, has been increasingly extreme around Thursday’s vote in the House of Representatives, which passed the legislation on a 224-206 vote. Today, an email from Mat Staver of the stridently anti-LGBTQ Liberty Counsel declared that if the Equality Act became law, “schools [that] refuse to hire a crossdresser, a pedophile or a goat lover” would be “penalized.”

“I know this sounds absurd—but, sadly, it’s true,” Staver added.

No, it’s not true. Staver is lying.

So where does Staver come up with this claim?

Staver’s email says that the bill “imposes LGBTQ into every corner of the school,” adding the entirely false claim that the Q in LGBTQ—standing for “queer”—means that pedophilia and other “paraphilias” like bestiality and necrophilia would become protected categories under federal law.

In fact, the Equality Act explicitly defines sexual orientation to mean “homosexuality, heterosexuality, or bisexuality.”

“The list will literally make you sick,” Staver wrote, claiming, “If the religious institutions refuse to change their doctrine and policies to accommodate the entire panorama of sexual deviance, they will be punished.”

Staver’s email links to a page that charges people to fax senators—from $5 to fax the Senate leadership to $59 to fax every senator. 

Click on the link for more

15 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

So what’s the next play for the 15hour wage if it’s not in the relief bill?

Taxing corporations that refuse to raise wages to $15 an hour sounds like the next step. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/finance/540673-hawley-backs-sanders-style-plan-b-on-15-minimum-wage%3famp

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

So what’s the next play for the 15hour wage if it’s not in the relief bill?

I'm thinking one thing you do is introduce it in a clean, standalone bill. And force a roll call vote on it. 

The Dems don't have the votes to pass it. But they've got the power to force a vote. Do so. Generate a set of campaign commercials from it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't get the criticsm.   What a President can pass thru Congress gets decided in November.   Of course you campaign on $15 min wage because that is a core promise. It's not "breaking a promise" that 100% of the GOP caucus and 4% of the Dems in the Senate oppose that policy.  

Are people going to defect or not vote Democrat because they don't have enough legislative power?  

If you are paying attention, the GOP made some stupid min wage points (Thune) that showed them way out of any rational thinking.  "Oh, I went to college with a min wage job back when college cost $5k in todays money and my job paid me $24 per hour adjusted for inflation". 

Let's beat up Dems for stupid voters in other states that elect bad legislatoes!!  I get that until we un-rig elections, specifically the President (popular vote) we have to deal with people who vote for the insane party well beyond the share of power they should have.  How is this not the focus?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If HR1 passes, it could easily be an accomplishment as big as the Affordable Care act in terms of impact. It would be a profound change in how we govern. It would be one of the few things I could see overcoming my reluctance to do away with the filibuster.

• Like 2