Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

I notice how close it is to Quantico...that in addition to the Commander's rebrand and Rivera's admiration of the military all seem to be coming together in a short amount of time. If nothing else, maybe that synergy will give the organization some semblance of an identity. Granted, it will be a completely new direction from tradition and history and, in my opinion, one that will likely turn off many fans. 

But, in terms of keeping a steady influx of fans coming in...having a team honoring the armed forces and located near a military location might not be a horrible strategy. Snyder has completely demolished the Redskins. It's over. Maybe his only hope is building something completely from scratch, breaking from tradition, and going all-in on the Army, Navy, Marines, etc. There will always be young, rowdy, enthusiastic servicemen who will be interested in watching football and rooting for a team that's somewhat representing them. Maybe the idea now is to forget all that was and just focus on that pipeline of fans moving forward. This location isn't bad for those folks...

Just a thought...

As a MD fan I selfishly want it kept in Maryland. I can stomach going to Fall Church, Arlington, or Old town. At least they are in the beltway. 

Dunfries is a worst possible situation. Why would anyone my age (32) or younger in MD ever be a skins fan?

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, httrcirca87 said:

Is there a team that hates its fans more than the Commanders? Terrible site. No metro or public transportation access of any sort. Perhaps the worst traffic in the region. This is all but ceding MD fans to the Ravens.

Clearly not from the area, but my guess would be that a stadium build project would include significant investment in surrounding infrastructure and transportation links.

If I am pushing the stadium, I'd want everyone to believe that this doesn't mean anything even if it does.

You want Virginia to think they don't have this in the bag and they need to give up as much money as possible to lure them and their budget talks supposedly are winding down next month.  And to perhaps push Maryland which thus far has offered nothing for the stadium, aside from upgrades to the area around Fedex, that they are dead serious so here's your last chance to push something their way.

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Land is an asset...it's rare that someone can't re-sell land in the future for a profit. 

But is this a common practice for an NFL team to do?  It'd be one thing if Snyder did it with his own money for his own purposes, but this is using team resources.  Teams aren't usually in the real estate flipping business.

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep, an asset that never depreciates.

Right, I love to pile on Snyder. But this isn't a huge deal to me. The location sucks, don't get me wrong, but this doesn't lock them into any one location. If they find a better spot, they can certainly sell this land to someone for more money in a couple years. 

Just now, justice98 said:

But is this a common practice for an NFL team to do?  It'd be one thing if Snyder did it with his own money for his own purposes, but this is using team resources.  Teams aren't usually in the real estate flipping business.

Oh, I have no idea. I'm guessing they are hedging and making sure they have somewhere in the event that nothing else comes through. I have no doubt this becomes the front-runner for the stadium, but I just don't think it means they couldn't make a move to a better location if the opportunity presented itself. 

As somebody who hasn't been to a game since Deion was in burgundy and gold, I can't get too worked up over where the stadium is other than just what I'd like to see as a fan.  They've got one shot at this, I'd hate to think that between Bruce's efforts over the years, now Jason Wright, that Dumfries/Woodbridge is the best they could come up with.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

As somebody who hasn't been to a game since Deion was in burgundy and gold, I can't get too worked up over where the stadium is other than just what I'd like to see as a fan.  They've got one shot at this, I'd hate to think that between Bruce's efforts over the years, now Jason Wright, that Dumfries/Woodbridge is the best they could come up with.

Like you, I'm not their target audience...but you would really think that a NFL team in THIS market could do much, much better. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Traffic in the DMV is awful just about everywhere.  That said, Woodbridge is a parking lot 90% of the time.  I honestly can’t think of a worse spot for the stadium.

Even Sunday afternoons? In LA, traffic is horrible all week. Probably worse on Saturdays since Covid but Sundays are the least amount of traffic. There is still traffic but not as bad.

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Even Sunday afternoons? In LA, traffic is horrible all week. Probably worse on Saturdays since Covid but Sundays are the least amount of traffic. There is still traffic but not as bad.

I’m not out that way often on Sundays, but I’d imagine it’s still bad.  95 in general is always awful.