Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

11 minutes ago, Mufumonk said:

What makes the Elden Beast so difficult is trying to close ground after it teleports when you're a melee centric build. As far as sheer difficulty Malenia, Maliketh and Mohg are brutal. Especially if you put away the spirit ashes.

Agreed.  I was using a weapon that was a mix of melee and magic powers it has but even the magic from the blasphemous sword you have to be pretty close to hit with.  I was swapping back/forth the whole fight between the blasphemous sword and the sword of night and flame.  The sword of night and flame did a good chunk of damage when you can hack away at him and you can swing it quick in succession because it is light so that was my primary attack against him.  But if he teleported a bit away and I could hit him with the flame from the other sword, I'd switch to try and get a few shots in.  But then he'd go far away and I'd just have to close the gap.  It didn't help that the summon would just stand around and get hit by his major attacks of the electric rings or the shards that he shoots out.

The toughest part for me was when he was around like 25% health he would shoot those little yellow balls that wouldn't stop coming and then he would teleport far away and do another electricity move that I wouldn't even see because I'm running away from those yellow balls, and those things lasted forever.

I was completely out of magic and flasks and had near full health bar when he had like 4-5 whacks left with the sword of night and flame.  I was nervous as hell to make my one chance for it and run in when I did but luckily I got in and hacked away before he could do anything to me.

Speaking of COD and campaigns, I dusted off Battlefield 3 from a 5 year sleep. Even now, the campaign is awesome. The first mission, patrolling through the streets of Iraq just before the earthquake hits was still probably my favorite mission in the entire game. Fighting Russian paratroopers was a close second, and the obligatory tank mission a solid third.

In each campaign game, there's 1 mission that I could just roll back to and play over and over again. In COD1 United Offensive, it was the B17 gunner mission. COD 2, the second day of D-Day when the Germans are counterattacking. Modern Warfare's best was the gunship mission. After Modern Warfare, I never really got that same feeling with any of the missions. They all got kind of bland. I miss it.

32 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

My man this is blasphemy. You can’t say this when one of best FPS levels ever exists in this game, All Ghillied Up

I'd have agreed if I didn't whiff on 70% of my Coriolis effect shots, and then fail for the first half hour of trying to survive the wait for extraction.

To make up for it, I spend a significant amount of time carrying MacMillan to the swimming pools and dropping him in uncomfortable positions

277B7B09330C7109E02DFDEE65A3E61F370A560C (1680×1050)

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I'll bite: how does Elden Ring play on XB1?

There is a digital foundry video of the last gen versions being compared and analyzed.  I haven't seen it myself but that would give you a good idea of what to expect.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 6:55 AM, purbeast said:

There is a digital foundry video of the last gen versions being compared and analyzed.  I haven't seen it myself but that would give you a good idea of what to expect.

The last brand new, full priced game I bought was "Gun" for the GameCube...in 2005. Honestly, I'm kinda proud of myself, but I'm willing to break tradition for this game...maybe...

How is the menu interface? Dark Souls has one of the worst UI I've seen in a modern game.

22 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

The last brand new, full priced game I bought was "Gun" for the GameCube...in 2005. Honestly, I'm kinda proud of myself, but I'm willing to break tradition for this game...maybe...

How is the menu interface? Dark Souls has one of the worst UI I've seen in a modern game.

I've never played Dark Souls but the UI/UX is pretty much identical to Demon's Souls.  It's pretty mediocre and has it's fair share of issues, but a lot of it is just due to how much crap you have to manage/control and I think it would be tough in general to make doing everything in this game seamless.

I've heard the XB1 is the worst version by far, but it wasn't stated if it was unplayable. I guess I'll wait for an update or something.

On a side note, has anyone played Biomutant? There was a lot of hype surrounding the game when it came out, but it debuted with a thud. I've heard they've fixed somethings and made the game better, anyone have any opinions of this game?

I played AstroBot and about a half hour of Ellen Ring on the PS5 at my friends house. I really enjoyed the quick loading times, but graphics don’t seem to be that large of a bump and I was underwhelmed with the controller. I was thinking there would be more to it. I guess I overhyped it in my mind.

PS5 is still on he radar, but it helped me to remain patient.

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

I've heard the XB1 is the worst version by far, but it wasn't stated if it was unplayable. I guess I'll wait for an update or something.

On a side note, has anyone played Biomutant? There was a lot of hype surrounding the game when it came out, but it debuted with a thud. I've heard they've fixed somethings and made the game better, anyone have any opinions of this game?

I haven’t played it, I’m interested. Right now, GameFly has it for $12.99 used. I may grab one.

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I played AstroBot and about a half hour of Ellen Ring on the PS5 at my friends house. I really enjoyed the quick loading times, but graphics don’t seem to be that large of a bump and I was underwhelmed with the controller. I was thinking there would be more to it. I guess I overhyped it in my mind.

Did you play any of the parts of Astro Bot that take advantage of the haptic controllers?

I would be super surprised to hear someone say they are underwhelmed with that stuff.

Also gotta remember, Elden Ring is a PS4/X1 game.  I personally thought it looked fantastic but I also get people saying it's not THAT much better than last gen, because it's really not.

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I was thinking there would be more to it. I guess I overhyped it in my mind.

If you want to appreciate the graphical jump, gotta play a game designed just for the PS5.

While games upscaled from PS4 look nicer, its not the same.

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart dropped my jaw. While the game itself was pretty standard series fare, from a tech and graphics standpoint it It felt like a game that could not be played on the previous gen. The way it takes advantage of the fast load times by warping across the stage, moving in and out of pocket dimensions and instantly re-terraforming the entire map was wild. Probably would have made my PS4 explode.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Did you play any of the parts of Astro Bot that take advantage of the haptic controllers?

I would be super surprised to hear someone say they are underwhelmed with that stuff.

Also gotta remember, Elden Ring is a PS4/X1 game.  I personally thought it looked fantastic but I also get people saying it's not THAT much better than last gen, because it's really not.

Maybe I didn't get far enough. I only played about 10-15 min of Astro Bot. 

I also questioned my friends controller. He got his from direct. He said that he hasn't noticed too much that has excited him with the controller. He's  played every major release so far.

I played about 30 of elden ring. If it was made for the PS4, I might but it in A couple of months.

41 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart dropped my jaw. While the game itself was pretty standard series fare, from a tech and graphics standpoint it It felt like a game that could not be played on the previous gen. The way it takes advantage of the fast load times by warping across the stage, moving in and out of pocket dimensions and instantly re-terraforming the entire map was wild. Probably would have made my PS4 explode.

Yeah, I love R&C! It will be the first game I grab when i finally get a PS5. Well, that and Returnal

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Maybe I didn't get far enough. I only played about 10-15 min of Astro Bot. 

I also questioned my friends controller. He got his from direct. He said that he hasn't noticed too much that has excited him with the controller. He's  played every major release so far.

I played about 30 of elden ring. If it was made for the PS4, I might but it in A couple of months.

Yeah, I love R&C! It will be the first game I grab when i finally get a PS5. Well, that and Returnal

Yeah you didn't get to any of the parts with the haptic feedback stuff if you only played that short.  

Granted, not many games take much advantage of it so far I don't think.  Only games I have played that do is Astro Bot and Ratchet and Clank.

Also if you only played Elden Ring for 30 mins, you didn't really get to any of the more graphically impressive parts.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I haven’t played it, I’m interested. Right now, GameFly has it for $12.99 used. I may grab one.

Apparently, the crafting system is to die for, I haven't seen it in action though.

• Like 1

Mafia II just isn't as fun for me as the original Mafia. I've been playing the definitive editions of both, and the graphics are awesome. But it's the story of Mafia II I'm having trouble getting myself involved with. Tommy Angelo in Mafia was a classy man, and even though the story had a few wacky hijinks now and then, I could relate to him just a little.

Mafia II feels like it's got the same nails on the chalkboard humor as Grand Theft Auto V. I hate it. I don't like the main character, I don't like his friend, and I'm having a hard time finding anyone I really do like. Mafia's MC and story felt like what Red Dead Redemption II's story can be played as, a good man forced to do bad things for what he thinks are the right reasons because he happened to fall in with the wrong crowd. Mafia II doesn't have that, and while I understand they can't just remake the story with new names, it doesn't have the charm that Mafia had.

Edited by NickyJ

This was touched upon earlier in the thread, I think this video explains how I feel exactly. I haven't thought about trying to turn off all of the icons on the map, I just bought Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and I think I'm going to give this guy's advice a chance right off the bat.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:05 PM, NickyJ said:

Mafia II just isn't as fun for me as the original Mafia. I've been playing the definitive editions of both, and the graphics are awesome. But it's the story of Mafia II I'm having trouble getting myself involved with. Tommy Angelo in Mafia was a classy man, and even though the story had a few wacky hijinks now and then, I could relate to him just a little.

Mafia II feels like it's got the same nails on the chalkboard humor as Grand Theft Auto V. I hate it. I don't like the main character, I don't like his friend, and I'm having a hard time finding anyone I really do like. Mafia's MC and story felt like what Red Dead Redemption II's story can be played as, a good man forced to do bad things for what he thinks are the right reasons because he happened to fall in with the wrong crowd. Mafia II doesn't have that, and while I understand they can't just remake the story with new names, it doesn't have the charm that Mafia had.

I remember playing the first Mafia when it came out, it was an absolutely one of my favorite immersive experiences. However, I think the immersion comes from the realism of the world and not the world itself. Other than a few locations, there is nowhere to go in the map of Mafia, same with Mafia 2. In fact, the world of Mafia 2 is basically ignored and padded out (or replaced) with the things you mentioned. I haven't played Mafia 3, but it goes even less with the realism of the world and more the route of the "Ubisoft Formula". Mafia 2 reminds me more of the flashier, larger budget sequel of the initial "indie" product.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

This was touched upon earlier in the thread, I think this video explains how I feel exactly. I haven't thought about trying to turn off all of the icons on the map, I just bought Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and I think I'm going to give this guy's advice a chance right off the bat.

I agree with that video 100%.  Although I was burnt out with the Ubisoft formula and open world games about a decade ago lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the final boss on my NG+2 in Elden Ring and once I beat it and get the frenzied flame ending, I will have the platinum trophy and probably won't play the game again since there is really nothing left to do.

This boss is going to be a **** though lol. We will have to see how I can do against the final boss. It's just a boring fight.

It's crazy how fast you can get through the game though if you know what you have to do.  I was literally at the boss of the land of the giants 5 minutes after I got to it.  And then I was finished with the next section in about 15-20 minutes.

Those 2 parts alone with my first play through and exploring was like 30+ hours.

Aight, made my way thru a season of NHL '07.

I was addicted as **** to NHL '94 thru '98.  My team was the Chicago Blackhawks, because Roenick's breakaways were automatic...and playing as the Red Wings or Avalanche felt like cheating.

This '07 game gets an A- from me.

The bad things are the interface, and the music.  The interface is confusing as hell and wonky.  They obviously focused on the gameplay, which is stellar.

The music is that contemporary alt rock from the time.  Yuck.  Sounds like the same song over and over again.

The gameplay....hell-frigging-yes.

Best NHL game I've ever played.

Edit:  I use the Caps as my team 🙂

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

I have good memories of NHL 07. I knew nothing about the rules of hockey, so I was hoping I'd pick up something from it like Madden taught me NFL rules. I had a blast mashing buttons and having no real idea how to properly score a goal 1-on-1. To this day, I still don't understand NHL rules about who can take the puck where.

19 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I have good memories of NHL 07. I knew nothing about the rules of hockey, so I was hoping I'd pick up something from it like Madden taught me NFL rules. I had a blast mashing buttons and having no real idea how to properly score a goal 1-on-1. To this day, I still don't understand NHL rules about who can take the puck where.

Pretty simple, as fast as it is.

The puck has to cross the opposing team's blue line before anyone else on your team physically crosses the blue line on their skates, in order to prevent offsides.

Hitting the puck from anywhere behind the red center line, past the opposing team's goal, and having the opposing team touch the puck first - is icing.

After that, have at it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...