Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Ryan Kerrigan named NFC defensive player of the week

TK

IMO if Kerrigan was more flamboyant, more outspoken, more Me Me Me, ie less humble and reserved off the field he would be less underrated around the league.  I think he has some similarities to Monk in that way.  Unfortunately in pro sports its often times the Divas who are noticed.  Maybe Im biased and/or just to "conservative" in my thinking but I have huge respect for Kerrigan the player and the person and hope he plays his entire career for the Redskins/TBDs.

18 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

IMO if Kerrigan was more flamboyant, more outspoken, more Me Me Me, ie less humble and reserved off the field he would be less underrated around the league. 

My guess is that Kerrigan needs to have played more on good teams and more in the playoffs to receive the accolades he deserves.

20 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

IMO if Kerrigan was more flamboyant, more outspoken, more Me Me Me, ie less humble and reserved off the field he would be less underrated around the league.  I think he has some similarities to Monk in that way.  Unfortunately in pro sports its often times the Divas who are noticed.  Maybe Im biased and/or just to "conservative" in my thinking but I have huge respect for Kerrigan the player and the person and hope he plays his entire career for the Redskins/TBDs.

It is unfortunate that this is likely true.  Him being on essentially some of the worse NFL teams in the last 10 years does not help either.  If he does explode this year, I still see him taking a discounted salary to remain and retire with the team.  Similar to Darrell Green who kept serving as a role player in his last few seasons.

The feeling has often been that Ryan Kerrigan lies in the strata of the very good, but has never ascended to the great. It'll be interesting to see if that changes now that he finally has a decent D Coordinator and some talent to  play with. I do remember early in his career having daydreams of Orakpo and Kerrigan providing the kind of one-two punch we once saw with Manley and Mann.

I love RK but I think the guy is gone after this season unless he wants to sign for high end backup money. While I don't think Denver is a trade spot for RK any longer given that they are 0-2 and just lost Lock, SF just opened up as a new trade destination with Bosa out for the year now. That team is built to win now and needs to do so with its defense. The issue is they already traded their 3rd to us. I would see if they would trade Dante Pettis, who flashed as a rookie, and a 4th. I'd like to give Anderson more reps, because there is a chance we could actually keep him as no one is going to pay him starter $. We also get a lottery ticket to work with at #2 WR through 2021. Pettis gets open but avoids contact - not ideal but can work with that.

My guess is Kyle values RK as highly as anyone in the league, give that his dad drafted him.

1 hour ago, method man said:

I love RK but I think the guy is gone after this season unless he wants to sign for high end backup money. While I don't think Denver is a trade spot for RK any longer given that they are 0-2 and just lost Lock, SF just opened up as a new trade destination with Bosa out for the year now. That team is built to win now and needs to do so with its defense. The issue is they already traded their 3rd to us. I would see if they would trade Dante Pettis, who flashed as a rookie, and a 4th. I'd like to give Anderson more reps, because there is a chance we could actually keep him as no one is going to pay him starter $. We also get a lottery ticket to work with at #2 WR through 2021. Pettis gets open but avoids contact - not ideal but can work with that.

My guess is Kyle values RK as highly as anyone in the league, give that his dad drafted him.

Yeah I'm all for trading him as well. But I hope he can pad his #s a bit first so we can score as much as possible.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I'm all for trading him as well. But I hope he can pad his #s a bit first so we can score as much as possible.

For all those whining about losing depth and whatnot, it comes down to asset management. Imagine if we had gotten two extra 1sts for Cousins and Trent. We would have at least 1, if not 2 starters. I'm sure RK's mentorship helps Chase and Sweat but it's obvious those two could probably continue crushing it on their own.

Regarding when to trade him, you could argue for more injuries to hit to get more buyers, but you also don't know if some buyers will drop out. The Broncos are a good example. They were probably interested in RK before Week 1 but now being 0-2 and losing Lock, I bet they are less likely to move forward on a deal.

Archived