Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Ryan Kerrigan named NFC defensive player of the week

TK

1 minute ago, ExoDus84 said:

Have you seen our D-line? He might reach 100 by week 3.

Quarterback drops back, looks left “OHH **** CY” , turn right ...Smash another Kerrigan sack... you’re right that this could easily happen multiple times a game with our D-Line. The number of snaps a game may be the only things that reduces the number he gets.

3 hours ago, Smurf3 said:

Eagles offensive line was totally decimated and included a rugby player in most of the second half. Not saying that this had anything to do with the award of course. The muscle flex is still obnoxious. Act like you've been there before Ryan.

not saying, just saying.  Got it.

👍

Kerrigan is one of those guys who has just done it quietly and on bad teams. 

I thought, watching him last year, that he had lost some of his motor. And maybe he did, maybe he didn’t... but the rotation for him is going to be so beneficial. 

After flirting with the idea this offseason, I don’t think he should finish his career anywhere else. Even if he doesn’t have that kind of impact again. 

36 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I want to emphasize this. JJ Watt, as beastly as he's been, has 96 career sacks. Kerrigan now has 92.

If Ryan keeps it up, there's no doubt he should get a gold jacket put on his shoulders. The numbers don't lie.

Imagine if he didn't play on all those crappy teams, or he played under coaches that properly utilized him, or he didn't get so many "holds" - his numbers would be off the charts.

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

I want to emphasize this. JJ Watt, as beastly as he's been, has 96 career sacks. Kerrigan now has 92.

If Ryan keeps it up, there's no doubt he should get a gold jacket put on his shoulders. The numbers don't lie.

Yet you need extra emphasis on games played too. Ryan has barely missed any time...if any. Jj has played 113...kerrigan has played 141.  That's a season and change difference. Jj watt would have way more than that so lets not use that as an example to buff up Ryan. He's been a good starter...his effort is relentless you gotta give him that and if he actually had a def coordinator worth a kick for his career im sure he would have mor

3 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I have always been convinced that had Kerrigan gone to Houston and Watt had gone to us, a lot of Washington fans would be complaining that we'd pick have picked Kerrigan over Watt.  Not that Watt isn't slightly better just that he didn't change positions much, got Wade Phillips as his DC as opposed to Hasbeen and played on a team with a pretty good overall defense.

1 hour ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Yet you need extra emphasis on games played too. Ryan has barely missed any time...if any. Jj has played 113...kerrigan has played 141.  That's a season and change difference. Jj watt would have way more than that so lets not use that as an example to buff up Ryan. He's been a good starter...his effort is relentless you gotta give him that and if he actually had a def coordinator worth a kick for his career im sure he would have mor

The most important ability is availability.  The 141 games vs 113, shows one thing where Ryan clearly out paces JJ.

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

We have no idea how this season is going to play out, but I wonder what will happen with Kerrigan if he has a career year for sacks. 

What if he goes off for 16 or 18 sacks, do we let a guy coming off a year like that just walk in free agency?

It seems insane to give a 30 something year old a large extension at a position we're absolutely loaded at but almost equally insane to let someone with that much production just walk in free agency. 

Maybe a transition tag?

I dont know but it does seem like a good problem to have. 

Kerrigan also adds other intangibles including he's a class act, which the organization needs as many of them as they can get and he's a great teammate. He's our draft pick and wants to be in DC....leadership, team player, great person. Hard to let guys like that walk if they're still productive. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/dexter-manley-congratulates-ryan-kerrigan-sack-record-hes-king-now

Dexter Manley congratulates Ryan Kerrigan on sack record: 'He’s the king now'

"Ryan Kerrigan, he stepped up to the plate. I want to congratulate him," Manley said on "The John Riggins Show." 

8 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Availability - you can't spell ability without it.

10 hours ago, redskinss said:

We have no idea how this season is going to play out, but I wonder what will happen with Kerrigan if he has a career year for sacks. 

What if he goes off for 16 or 18 sacks, do we let a guy coming off a year like that just walk in free agency?

It seems insane to give a 30 something year old a large extension at a position we're absolutely loaded at but almost equally insane to let someone with that much production just walk in free agency. 

Maybe a transition tag?

I dont know but it does seem like a good problem to have. 

Not outside the realm of possibility IMO even though it's overall unlikely. Lot's of pass rushers pile up sack numbers in their early to mid 30s. Just speculating here but I think a big reason for this is there is quite a bit of innateness in it in terms of anticipating the blocker's body movement coupled with the fact that they see less and less of the field when it's not an obvious passing down. 

Archived