Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

22 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Do you guys think Snyder enjoys owning the team the same way he did when he was just a billionaire fan fulfilling his dream in that first decade or so? 

No, I bet he hates it. Hates the fanbase for the most part. And now the best part for him is owning it despite what everyone else wants. I don't even know if he really believe he can turn it around anymore. But in the NFL, doesn't matter. He had his fun. Got caught with a slap on the wrist. Still printing money.

26 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

No, I bet he hates it. Hates the fanbase for the most part. And now the best part for him is owning it despite what everyone else wants. I don't even know if he really believe he can turn it around anymore. But in the NFL, doesn't matter. He had his fun. Got caught with a slap on the wrist. Still printing money.

I hope he hates every second of it. And, even though it's pretty ruined for me at this point, I really hope he looks back at what he purchased 23 years ago and compares it to what he has now. It's truly amazing. 

He bought the team when they still had the aroma of success and respect around the league. They were just a few years removed from their magical decade and were a top-tier NFL franchise. Now they are a cheap, knock-off version of the Redskins. Logo is different. Name is different. Fans have left. 

I hope he feels like he married a super model and woke up next to pig...even though it's HIS fault she's a pig. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Zim489 said:

My frustration is the lack of understanding of where the team is within the league. Anyone with any sense of self would realize that theres no chance that they could have gotten anyone as a vet that had any say of where they were going. 

So that leaves the draft. We dont know what he offered to move up for field but it was really his only chance of getting an elite prospect in his time here. 

So Rivera’s an idiot for not finding a way to acquire a franchise QB.

Simultaneously, he’s an idiot for trying to acquire a franchise QB. 

And the only loophole, the only way he could squeak through and ride the vanishingly thin line between your two conflicting opinions is if he traded a LOT for Justin Fields, who still hasn’t actually looked good beyond some flashes, but has potential. 

Really interesting viewpoint. Sorry he couldn’t thread the needle for you and do the one single thing you’d be happy with (except if Fields had looked as bad for us as a rookie last year as he looked for the Bears, you’d be screaming bloody murder about trading multiple 1’s and more for an obvious bust). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Staffers on the the House Oversight Committee interviewed Allen via Zoom for about 10 hours, a span that was just short of the committee’s marathon deposition of Commanders owner Dan Snyder in July.

Allen appeared under a subpoena as others have who appeared behind closed doors — minus Snyder — during Congress’ probe, a source with knowledge of the matter told Front Office Sports. 

That same source told FOS that Allen — who has been out of the public eye since he was fired as team president in December 2019 after a decade with the team — was eager to participate in the deposition. 

“The Committee is continuing to investigate the decades-long workplace misconduct at the Washington Commanders and the NFL’s failure to address it,” an Oversight Committee spokesperson said in a statement before the deposition began. “Mr. Allen served in senior roles under team owner Dan Snyder for many years, so his testimony is important for the Committee to fully understand these serious issues and advance reforms to protect workers in the future.”

Racist, misogynistic, and homophonic messages exchanged between Jon Gruden and Allen — which were culled from Allen’s team email account — were published by The New York Times and Wall Street Journal. Gruden resigned under pressure as head coach of the Las Vegas Raiders. 

The emails were exchanged between 2010 and 2018 when Gruden was an ESPN analyst. 

The Oversight Committee’s investigation of the Commanders launched its investigation days after the emails surfaced. The probe initially focused on allegations of a toxic workplace culture, but expanded to include alleged financial improprieties. 

Gruden filed a lawsuit in November against the NFL where he alleged the league was behind “a malicious and orchestrated campaign” to oust him. That lawsuit is ongoing in a Nevada court, although the NFL recently filed motions to dismiss and/or relegate the case to arbitration. 

The NFL and Commanders have denied being the source of the reported emails. A person close to Allen told FOS that the former Commanders, Buccaneers, and Raiders exec was not the source. 

The Oversight Committee has received thousands of documents from the NFL, but not the 650,000 emails obtained as part of an outside NFL investigation of the Commanders overseen by former assistant U.S. Attorney Beth Wilkinson. 

Wilkinson concluded her investigation in July 2021, which led the NFL to fine the Commanders $10 million, and the team instituted many of Wilkinson’s recommendations to improve workplace culture. 

Another outside NFL investigation, this time led by former head of the Securities and Exchange Commission May Jo White, is ongoing. 

Some of the Gruden emails did appear in Snyder’s legal team’s maneuvering as part of an offensive in federal courts related to a lawsuit brought against an Indian media company that allegedly led an misinformation campaign against Snyder. 

Allen was among the targets of federal petitions as Snyder’s lawyers sought to gain information related to that lawsuit. 

But Rep. Carolyn Maloney, the chair of the Oversight Committee, said at a June hearing that the effort was really part of “a shadow investigation to target his accusers, pin the blame on others, and influence the NFL’s own internal review. He filed phony lawsuits to collect private phone records, emails, and text messages.”

A handful of Gruden’s email exchanges from Allen’s team account appeared in federal petitions, although the documents had Gruden’s name redacted with “ESPN Personality” inserted instead.

Lawyers representing Snyder provided attorney Beth Wilkinson, who was overseeing a league investigation of the team’s workplace, and the NFL with the Allen emails, according to the evidence found by the committee’s investigation.

An attorney for Snyder “identified the specific inappropriate Bruce Allen emails in attempting to demonstrate that Bruce Allen had created a toxic environment at the Washington Commanders,” Maloney’s memo said.

Several of those emails later appeared in the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times, including some in which Jon Gruden, then the coach of the Las Vegas Raiders, used racist, homophobic and misogynistic language over approximately seven years of correspondence with Allen and others while Gruden worked for ESPN.

Gruden resigned from the Raiders in October after the emails were revealed. He filed a lawsuit against the NFL in November, accusing the league and Commissioner Roger Goodell of using leaked emails to “publicly sabotage Gruden’s career” and pressure him into resigning. The NFL has said it did not leak Gruden’s emails.

Tanya Snyder, Daniel Snyder’s wife and the team’s co-CEO, told fellow NFL franchise owners at a league meeting in October that neither she nor her husband was responsible for the leaked emails, multiple people present at that meeting said at the time.

The NFL said in a filing to a Nevada court last month that Gruden continued to send “derogatory emails consistently” while serving as the Raiders’ coach.

Daniel Snyder gave a voluntary deposition under oath to the committee remotely for more than 10 hours in July. Goodell testified remotely to the committee during a June 22 hearing on Capitol Hill.

In April, the committee detailed allegations of financial improprieties by Snyder and the team in a letter to the Federal Trade Commission. The attorneys general for D.C., Karl A. Racine (D), and Virginia, Jason S. Miyares (R), announced they would investigate. The team has denied committing any financial improprieties.

The NFL is conducting an investigation being led by Mary Jo White, a former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York and a former chair of the Securities and Exchange Commission. After Wilkinson’s investigation, the NFL announced in July 2021 that the team had been fined $10 million and that Tanya Snyder would assume responsibility for the franchise’s daily operations for an unspecified period.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/09/06/bruce-allen-house-oversight-committee-washington-nfl/

Now THIS gives me some hope.  There is a chance with Bruce’s testimony, they could catch Snyder in a perjury charge.   

THAT would be something major enough to sink the battleship.  

Hmmmmmmm.  First time I’ve actually thought there was hope.  But they have to move quickly….

EDIT: actually the second time.  When they first revealed the financial stuff that looked like it might have legs, but it quicker fizzled and appeared as it was nothing.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Now THIS gives me some hope.  There is a chance with Bruce’s testimony, they could catch Snyder in a perjury charge.   

THAT would be something major enough to sink the battleship.  

Hmmmmmmm.  First time I’ve actually thought there was hope.  But they have to move quickly….

EDIT: actually the second time.  When they first revealed the financial stuff that looked like it might have legs, but it quicker fizzled and appeared as it was nothing.  

While I agree with this to an extent unless there’s proof that whatever Snyder said was a lie compared to what Bruce said it’s just more hearsay unfortunately. Especially considering Bruce is just as big a snake in the grass as Dan 

Edited by Mrshadow008

3 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

While I agree with this to an extent unless there’s proof that whatever Snyder said was a lie compared to what Bruce said it’s just more hearsay unfortunately. Especially considering Bruce is just as big a snake in the grass as Dan 

Yeah, but I bet Bruce has ALL his emails and corroborating documents. 

Im sure he can point them in a direction if he wanted to. 

• Like 1

If anyone there knows where the bodies are buried it would be Bruce.  

Also Dan's theme for all of this is that Bruce oversaw it all and fostered that bad culture not him.  Interesting that Dan's team gave the Gruden emails to the NFL to make that point.  also interesting that Bruce was "eager" to give testimony. 

• Like 1

I suspect @Zim489 ghost writed the article?

NBC broadcaster calls Ron Rivera a 'godsend' for the Commanders

No head coach in recent NFL history has dealt with as much as Washington Commanders head coach Ron Rivera. In addition to battling cancer in his first season as Washington’s coach in 2020, Rivera has been through two name changes, multiple controversies involving owner Daniel Snyder, and sexual harassment investigations, all while trying to coach a football team.

When Snyder hired Rivera after the 2019 season, he made it clear this was Rivera’s organization. Snyder termed it a “coach-centric” approach. At the time, Rivera probably had no idea of everything that would be on his plate.

One of Rivera’s biggest challenges in Washington was changing the organization’s rotten culture. Entering his third season, Rivera has done well in that regard....

Clearly, Rivera’s players believe in him and love playing for him.

...Mike Tirico of NBC Sports believes Washington is fortunate to have Rivera.

“With everything going around the organization — a lot of it’s been negative — having Ron Rivera there has been a godsend,” Tirico told NBC4’s Moises Linares via Ethan Cadeaux of NBC Sports Washington.

There aren’t many coaches who could’ve handled the many things thrown Rivera’s way. Sure, some can argue if he’s done enough to improve the defense in the offseason or other personnel decisions, but you also must consider what Rivera inherited.

“Ron Rivera is one of the most respected, one of the most stable, one of the most honest guys in the league,” Tirico said. “I think Ron’s veteran presence and experience has kept this from getting onto the field. I think if there are other issues with the franchise, as there have been played out very publicly, a lot of times that can seep into the locker room and the field. I think Ron has done an exceptional job of keeping that at bay.”

Tirico said it perfectly. While the Commanders still have a long ways to go, especially on the field, Rivera has been the right man to lead the organization at the right time.

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/04/nbc-broadcaster-calls-head-coach-ron-rivera-a-godsend-for-the-washington-commanders-mike-tirico/?taid=63184f847b647800014a2ee5&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

• Haha 1

Wonder if the Lions overtake the Commanders in fan attendnance and we end uo dead last versus next to last.

Our coaches and Bruce when he was here would scoff at Hard Knocks.  And I could see why Dan would be petrified to have cameras around.  But I'd bet the Lions ticket surge is tied some to Hard Knocks.

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if the Lions overtake the Commanders in fan attendnance and we end uo dead last versus next to last.

Our coaches and Bruce when he was here would scoff at Hard Knocks.  And I could see why Dan would be petrified to have cameras around.  But I'd bet the Lions ticket surge is tied some to Hard Knocks.

I was just about to post this.  I bet we’re the only team Week 1 that won’t have full attendance.  Considering the opponent, we might be lucky to have half of Fed-Ex filled.  This is going to be a painful season to watch us play home games.  There’s only one way to change that, and that’s by winning games.  We HAVE to start the season off with a winning streak to get fans enthusiastic and willing to come back to the stadium.  If we fall on our face out of the gate against Jacksonville Week 1, then we will be off to a terrible start, and Fed-Ex will be a ghost town by October.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 3

106.7 now running a segment playing off of my point instead of this team running away from Hard Knock they should be begging to do it.  This team is desperate for some good attention.  Rivera would be really good in it.  If Dan is scared of the cameras than keep him out.

But the Lions got a PR jolt from the Hard Knocks coverage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Attendance as of yesterday was listed as around 45K-46K. Who knows either 1) if all those people end up going, or 2) if that number goes up anymore by the weekend 

Add rain in the forecast and the real attendance might be worse.

Imagine if that happens and they lose?  

Hopefully not because it that happened we'd get more doom and gloom after week 1 than probably any other season in memory. 

• Sad 2